Masterchef – The Top 20 Revealed

Should Lucas Parson’s former pro-golfer who now owns a cafe be eligible to be in the top 20  of MasterChef Australia? I am a bit conflicted by this. The rules when applying for the show stated you could not have worked as a cook in a professional kitchen in the past 10 years.  He obviously loves cooking, but it is implied he only works front of house in his Randwick cafe. But you would think he would want to have a lot of input in the kitchen considering it is his business.

Anyway it is great publicity for his cafe in Randwick.

To get into the Top 20 the chefs had cook a meal made out of the box of ingredients. There was a pork chop, cabbage, bread, chocolate, apple, tomato, lemon, parsley and eggs. And they had 30 minutes to cook it.

Sarah the vegetarian cook avoided the pork by cooking a dessert, eggy bread with a caramalised apple. But it was not good enough to get her through to the top 20.

Brent the food photographer did a major stuff up when he added butane to his dish by sitcking it in the flame, which resulted in a butane flavour. However he still made it in to the top 20.  I cannot see him winning.

Again I thought the show lacked suspense. The music and dialogue they used flagged everyone that was getting through or not getting through. I hope they fix this up by Season 2.

The top 20 are:

• Julie the IT consultant from Sydney
  • Lucas Parsons the cafe owner
  • Sandra – the brisbane mother of two
  • Eugenie – the very glamourous grandmother
  • Pasquale
  • Trevor –
  • Julia
  • Melissa – the graphic artist who flipped out at the first elimination challenge.
  • Michelle –  who has had some hit and misses with her cooking.
  • Aaron – the fledgling molecular gastronomist.
  • Andre – who was accused of being arrogant
  • Brent – food photographer who butanised his pork got through.
  • Sam
  • Chris
  • Tom
  • Linda
  • Kate – young girl from Western Australia.
  • Josh
  • Justine
  • Poh Ling Yeow  – the artist from South Australia who got a second chance at her audition

What do you think? Do you think the best cooks were picked or do you think some larger than life characters were picked as it will make better reality TV.

Best dish – Eugenie’s pork with apple, and cabbage.

Worst dish – pork medallions and chocolate sandwich

1 Anonymous { 05.04.09 at 10:33 am }

This show is soooo predictable – my husband and I were watching and were able to guess what the judge’s next lines were going to be e.g. Judge to 2 ladies standing in front of him “There isn’t room for one of you…”. I said he’s going to say “There’s room for both of you” and he did! It was so obvious who was going to get through that there was absolutely no suspense. I also knew that butane guy would get in because he is a ‘likeable larrikin’ character. There were also some faces I hadn’t seen before i.e. contestants who had received no airtime so I knew they wouldn’t get through which turned out to be the case. Hated the format which was exactly the same as SYTYCD – the long walk to the judges and the pretend ‘debates’ amongst the judges – as if they didn’t know who was going through already (and probably before the show started, the ‘cast’ had already been picked). Thank goodness for IQ – I watched the whole thing in about 10 minutes.

2 Culinary Boner { 05.04.09 at 11:04 am }

Channel 10 demonstrated that they are one-trick ponies in a big way tonight.

Hello Ten producers! Just because SYTYCDA and Aussie Idol use the ‘long walk’ to cast the final numbers for the performance season of the show, doesn’t mean you had to use it here.

Boring, boring, boring is all I can say. It was excruciatingly tedious. I expect you have now lost ratings big time and will struggle to pick up viewers now the competition proper starts. Moving on from bitching about the crap format, no one amongst the potential chefs stands out as any more than a good home cook. I hope I am wrong, but even the duds from Hell’s Kitchen would crap all over this lot in terms of cooking restaurant food. Only good things so far are the host and the judges. When’s Fox running the next season of Top Chef? The culinary boner is now seriously flaccid.

3 Anonymous { 05.04.09 at 12:55 pm }

Just for the record there is no kitchen in Lucas Parsons cafe, it’s all about he coffee, so yes he is eligible to partake in this competition.

4 Anonymous { 05.04.09 at 12:57 pm }

Oh and his cafe (for great coffee) is T’s Book Cafe 136-138 Avoca Street, Randwick…check it out!

5 reality raver { 05.04.09 at 2:55 pm }

Anon – Thanks for clarifying that and I will definately check it out next time I am over that way.

Anon- Yes I agree with the predictable dialogue. Do you think the reality TV writers were in some sort of originality slump? I am sure the judges did not come up with all those lines. Also I loved the way they pretended at some points they were making the decision up on the spot ala Andre. When he said the right thing about Aaron they said they were putting him through to the top 20. Implying if he had said something different he would not have made it through.

Culinary Boner – You will be able to watch the Top Chef NY reunion episode, and the episode is set in Las Vegas baby.

6 Injera { 05.04.09 at 4:30 pm }

Missed it last night (seriously, Channel 10 – and I don’t mean SeriouslyTM – you’re expecting WAY too much of a commitment with this Masterchef scheduling!) but am watching the repeat now.

I cannot believe Brent got through! Matt couldn’t even swallow his pork dish, and if memory serves (to borrow from Iron Chef) he’s been in all the prelim challenges, yet he goes through. There are people I’ve never seen until this round, which means they 1. can chop onions 2. can recognise ingredients so they must have literally served shit on toast to allow him to go through.

Getting the serious grrrrrrs with this!