Masterchef – The Top 20 Revealed
Should Lucas Parson’s former pro-golfer who now owns a cafe be eligible to be in the top 20 of MasterChef Australia? I am a bit conflicted by this. The rules when applying for the show stated you could not have worked as a cook in a professional kitchen in the past 10 years. He obviously loves cooking, but it is implied he only works front of house in his Randwick cafe. But you would think he would want to have a lot of input in the kitchen considering it is his business.
Anyway it is great publicity for his cafe in Randwick.
To get into the Top 20 the chefs had cook a meal made out of the box of ingredients. There was a pork chop, cabbage, bread, chocolate, apple, tomato, lemon, parsley and eggs. And they had 30 minutes to cook it.
Sarah the vegetarian cook avoided the pork by cooking a dessert, eggy bread with a caramalised apple. But it was not good enough to get her through to the top 20.
Brent the food photographer did a major stuff up when he added butane to his dish by sitcking it in the flame, which resulted in a butane flavour. However he still made it in to the top 20. I cannot see him winning.
Again I thought the show lacked suspense. The music and dialogue they used flagged everyone that was getting through or not getting through. I hope they fix this up by Season 2.
The top 20 are:
- Julie the IT consultant from Sydney
- Lucas Parsons the cafe owner
- Sandra – the brisbane mother of two
- Eugenie – the very glamourous grandmother
- Trevor –
- Melissa – the graphic artist who flipped out at the first elimination challenge.
- Michelle – who has had some hit and misses with her cooking.
- Aaron – the fledgling molecular gastronomist.
- Andre – who was accused of being arrogant
- Brent – food photographer who butanised his pork got through.
- Kate – young girl from Western Australia.
- Poh Ling Yeow – the artist from South Australia who got a second chance at her audition
What do you think? Do you think the best cooks were picked or do you think some larger than life characters were picked as it will make better reality TV.
Best dish – Eugenie’s pork with apple, and cabbage.
Worst dish – pork medallions and chocolate sandwich