MasterChef Australia – Easter Show Challenge – Did It Matter What The Food Tasted Like?

I could not understand why Sandra was getting her knickers in a twist about not having garlic for the risotto, or Trevor worrying about the amount of stock she was ladling in. Wasn’t the point of the challenge the amount of money you make not what the food actually tastes like? Return customers were not something the teams had to worry about.

I am sure even a half arsed risotto would be one of the tastiest food at the Royal Easter Show whose culinary delights include Dagwood Dogs, nachos with liquid cheese, and overpriced burgers made from frozen beef patties.

The challenge was to use produce bought at the Show to cook and sell on their stall. The team that makes the most money wins an afternoon in the kitchens at three Norton St Leichhardt restaurants  see real Italian food being cooked. Living near this precinct I will be interested to see which eating establishments are shown.

One person would be eliminated from the losing team. Chris was the captain of the red team, and Kate for the blue team.

The Red team used Justine’s good looks to get a good deal for the lamb. They were doing lamb skewers with yoghurt sauce, cheesy rice balls, and toffee apples.

The blue team were behind from the start, hand chopping lamb into mince for kofta, and just general lack of organisation skills which resulted in chaos. Kate did not take control, by giving direction nor did she appear to do much work. She also needed to let Sam know he was not the captain.

The red team was a well oiled machine, except for Aaron who kept on stuffing up batch after batch of toffee. Just a minor defence – he was being bossed around by everyone else to do things, so he was not able to keep an eye on the toffee.

However you knew if the red team lost he would have been the one that would have been eliminated. But when are the teams going to wise up and NOT vote off the dud chef. Personally with a $100,000 first prize I would be keeping the Kate’s and the Aaron’s in. They are not going to be able to win the competition.

Predictably the red team won easily, and it is looking like Kate or Sandra will be the one to go.

Oh and if you do care what the food tasted like tonight – The judges George Colombaris, and Gary Mehigan thought the kofta and lamb skewers were good, but the risotto not so great.

1 abc { 05.27.09 at 10:58 pm }

I felt so sorry for Aaron today…there was shot after shot of him looking incredibly hassled as the rest of his teammates bossed him around and made him do their menial tasks. It was no excuse for the toffee though as he should have known better, but I still want him to stay longer, if only to laugh at his utterly random comments. lol’ed at his football players/celebrity chef comment last night

2 Reality Raver { 05.28.09 at 12:13 am }

abc – I don’t mind him either, he does seem to have a lot of maturity and some wit for a 21 year old. But I think he will go in one the peer eliminations as his fellow contestants don’t seem to hold him in high esteem. Though he was picked tonight before a few other to be on the red team.

3 Laura { 05.28.09 at 1:41 am }

I don’t mind Aaron either!
I think that the taste of the food does matter for the losing team – i.e. it looks like Sandra is on the chopping block because of the risotto.
If I was doing it I probably wouldhave made cheaper (therefore more numerous), lowbrow, simple snacks. I think that they would have been more popular and much easier to cook so the kitchen would have run more smoothly.

4 CG { 05.28.09 at 2:11 am }

Well it looks like Kate will be trying to use her charms to convince everyone to vote for Sandra. Hopefully Lucas and Tom will speak up and convince a majority to realise the loss was Kate’s fault. I would normally forgive her total lack of organisation skills and management skills because she is “only 20” but she is such a bwatch and snitty manipulator I REALLY HOPE SHE GOES TOMORROW NIGHT. Can’t stand the sound of the voice any longer!!

5 CG { 05.28.09 at 2:13 am }

On the channel 7 forums, a few people are talking about a “love bite” on Sam’s neck visible in tonight’s episode? I can’t be bothered to replay it because I can’t stand to hear / see Kate. Did anyone notice this love bite? If there is something there, what else could it be? WTH??

6 CG { 05.28.09 at 2:46 am }

rumour is vote is a tie 3 votes Kate, 3 votes Sandra; captain breaks the tie and Kate takes herself out? there was word someone else “leaves” this week because they can’t handle being away from home, etc. this could be kate’s attempt to save face?

7 Injera { 05.28.09 at 8:14 am }

I was livid when Sam charged people the full price despite Trev having attracted them with the half-price offer. Glad the Reds won, particularly after Chris chose Justine first! I’ve got a completely irrational love for Justine. Irrational because it’s based on her being completely ignored in the first few weeks, so I don’t know much about her. Andre’s also on my list for the same reason.

Did Sam step in and take over as leader to protect Kate, or because he’s developed an unattractive arrogance? Regardless of my feelings about Kate as a contestant, I did not like the way he was ordering her about.

So glad Ten wasn’t going for the fake-out edit like they did last week, although their heavy-handed use of one-sides edits has taken its toll – I found I couldn’t really relax and just go with the flow of the episode as I had an annoying internal dialogue: “Reds are doing well, Blues are stuffing up, OR ARE THEY? Relax, they won’t do this two weeks in a row, OR WILL THEY?” etc.

Hope Kate goes.

8 Wurstsemmel { 05.28.09 at 11:52 am }

It’s funny how during Brent’s eviction week, the team leader had to take the responsibility and go…yet that didn’t happen when Sam was leader and I’m betting anything that it won’t happen tonight….but I AM hoping. It’s not about the so-called ‘Kiddie Mafia’ (although I wouldn’t put it past Ms. Kate to put a rancid kofta in an opponent’s bed) but I just can’t stand her.

9 Brie Wiessner { 05.28.09 at 1:06 pm }

So pleased red won – Kate is dreadful & hope she goes, sick of the tears she & Sandra so readily shed – Sam looks as tho one day he’ll be a good cook – but too arrogant & needs to go along with Aaron soon. Hope Justine & Andre stay in for last episodes – they have remained under the radar & yet have shown steady working abilities. Why are the contestants so snarky when the judges are the ones choosing who goes home? – (on the episodes they do) – not tonight – tonight should be Kate or Sandra.
A lot of comments in the media re the judges, I think they’re perfect – really helpful, not too critical, very encouraging – & NOT FAT!! – How to get Matt Preston’s job? Will follow to end – still don’t know who will win – have an idea for final 5 – will depend on voting.

10 RetroGirl { 05.28.09 at 2:04 pm }

CG – I had heard the rumour of the hickey on Sam’s neck before the show so kept an eagle eye out for it. It wasn’t there the day of the Easter Show challenge, but was there for the judging. It definitely looked like a hickey, I can’t think what else it could be. There was a discussion about this is in the forums at the official Masterchef website, including some comments from username “cherpil” who claims to be Sam’s wife and says the hickey was “a practical joke gone bad”. I’ve been trying to think of how a hickey can be accidentally created from a practical joke but haven’t had much luck coming up with even a slightly plausible scenario!
Interesting to note that the moderators of the forum have now locked that particular discussion thread so no-one can post further comments. Very annoying that they would do this when we were finally getting to hear from Sam’s wife (if that is who cherpil really is) when everyone has been wondering how she is feeling about the whole Sam & Kate thing. Are they worried about what she might say?

11 Culinary Boner { 05.28.09 at 2:20 pm }

Raver, while happy that the most deserving team, led by the show’s most articulate and intellegent contestant, Chris, won, I can’t help thinking that they all got the booby prize with the trip to Leichhardt’s supremely mediocre Italian restaurant precinct.

Didn’t My Restaurant Rules feature some really ordinary restaurants from this area in its episodes? Aren’t half these establishments owned by Greeks or Macedonians, not Italians, and aren’t most of the cooks in them actually recent Asian migrants working for the minumum wage?

Hopefully, they will feature exceptions like Grappa and Elio, otherwise the night will showcase how to perfect Chicken Parmigana and Veal Marsala so that they taste just like they were just nuked out of a 1970s TV dinner box. Oh.. and how to open cartons of crap pre-prepped icecream deserts masquerading as gelato.

I suppose it could have been worse. They may instead have been sent to Newtown to master the art of making Thai food bland and forgettable.

12 Reality Raver { 05.28.09 at 3:23 pm }

CG and Retro Girl – Missed the whole hickey thing. Maybe it will still be there tonight. I would be surprised if Sam was getting up to mischief with Kate. He just got married and would look bad to other contestants in the house, and with these peer eliminations would you really be wanting to give them an excuse to punt you?

Laura – At least she produced the risotto, didn’t they have to ditch their dessert they were going to sell? Whose fault was that? That would have had had a great impact on the amount of money they sold.

Wurstsemmel and Brie Wiessmer – It would appear if it was viewers choice tonight Kate would be eliminated. Also agree I really like the judges – just which George did not use his fork so strangely. I wish Sarah was a fourth person on the judging panel.

Culinary Boner – It was The Chopping Block that showcased that Italian restaurant.

Injera – I missed that bit where Sam charged them full price. That must have been embarassing for Trevor. Yes I thought to myself the blue team cannot possibly win. As you know I missed last week so did they make it look like the red team was going to win and then surprise it was the blue team that took it.

13 Injera { 05.28.09 at 4:35 pm }

I noticed the hickey, but thought I was probably just imagining it, or being uncharitable. Twitter was bristling with speculation at the time!

RR, last week’s edit was the worst ever. Totally made it look like Reds were running away with it during the shopping/cooking/ being competent human beings part, but even the editors couldn’t overlook Chris’ raw chicken…

Hmm, wonder if we’ll ever hear of the ditched dessert option again? I did love Kate’s nobody-listens-to-me-you’d-think-they-didn’t-even-know-I-was-in-charge whinge, and then it comes to divvying up responsibilities and it’s all “so, um, who’s gonna…?” until everybody just steps in and assigns themselves roles. Surely that’s a fundamental part of leadership – delegating responsibility?