MasterChef Australia – The Rex Hunt Challenge

Chris you dirty man, the way you perved on MasterChef Australia host Sarah Wilson when she emerged from Flying Fish in her saucy yellow dress was hilarious. So the guys watching the show get hot tottie like Sarah, and what do we get? A shot of Trevor in the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist his gut hanging out in all its glory. Television is so sexist.

If that is what we are going to see of Trevor over the next few weeks I hope he gets eliminated tomorrow night.

The episode started off with Gary Mehigan entering the house at 4.30am and rousing the contestants to go on their next challenge. This scene was reminiscent of Top Chef NY when Tom Colluchio woke the household to go on a challenge. Which gives me an idea for another poll – Who would you prefer to be woken up by – Gary Mehigan or Tom Colluchio….

They were taken to Flying Fish where they were told their challenge was to serve up a three course meal the following day, at this point I wonder why they had to woken up so early, it seemed to be  a bit irrelevant.

The kicker in the challenge was one course had to be seafood, and they had to catch their own the next morning and they had a limited time to do it in.

Justine was captain for the red team as she had won the challenge, and she  picked Trevor to be captain of the blue team because he can be “domineering”. It is interesting that no one has picked Julie to be captain as it would appear she would crack under the pressure, but she must be too well liked by the other contestants.

The blue team had better luck with their fishing getting leather jacket and a blue morwong, and they headed back early. The red team just kept on catching leather jacket and another type of fish that was bony that would be used for mousse.

Trevor decided to ask the boat captain for his bait of prawns and squid to use in his dishes. Andre appeared to think this was not a great idea, and it was a risk, but was he saying this in hindsight?

The blue team served:

Entree of Leather jacket with potato salad, avocado and baby squid, this dish was plated beautifully, but the judges were not happy with the squid which was bait. Matt Preston said it tasted metallic. Also they thought the leather jacket flavours were swamped by the other ingredients.

Main: Pan searing Morwong with baked witlof with prawns with burnt butter around the edges. Andre cooked the fish beautifully. The only issue again were the prawns. But the dish got positive reviews from the judges. Trevor was a bit naughty saying they had “lost” the sauce that went with the dish “in the clean up”. He had cooked it and it was inedible because of the saltiness of the prawns because they had been frozen in salty water. He should have ‘fessed up, there are cameras everywhere.

Dessert: Macerated strawberries, with Zabaglione – they were rapturous in their praise for Geni’s and Poh’s dessert.

The red team cooked in about an hour:

An amuse bouche’ of Leek and Potato Soup. There was a discussion about whether they had broken the rules by adding in an extra course, it was decided  it was fine, and Tom’s soup was favourably received.

Entree was Stuffed Zucchini Flower with Fish Mousse – Chris cooked the entree and it was good, though the judges did mention a metallic taste.

The main course Pan Fried Leather Jacket with Potato Salad and Pureed Capsicum. The dish when presented was paid out by the judges because of the itsy bitsy pieces of fish on a mound of potato salad. At this stage I was having Russian salad flashbacks from the previous episode. However it was described as a “cracker” of a dish.

Dessert: Poached Pear in Red Wine with Chantilly Cream. Matt Preston said the pear was hard, the cream to light, and the sauce so reduced it was to spicy. Sandra had cooked the dessert, so if they lost the challenge her head would have been on the chopping block something Justine was forced to admit when they were grilled about how the challenge went.

Andre had no such reluctance in putting the boot into Trevor about using the bait placing the loss of the challenge well and truly on his shoulders. I will be very surprised if he avoids the boot tomorrow night.

Quick observation – when Matt Preston announces who has won the challenge he gets out an envelope, pulls out a piece of paper and has to read who has won. Considering he is on the judging panel he should already know who they have picked. Or do the producers have the final veto?

1 Laura { 06.03.09 at 11:43 pm }

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought that Trevor cooked a prawn jus which was too salty, so he scrapped it & cooked a burnt butter sauce instead, which was accidently thrown out. He never claimed that the prawn jus was edible.
I like Trevor, but I agree that he is porbably leaving tomorrow night. I know that Andre did well cooking the fish but I really want him to leave, his individual cooking doesn’t stand out to me & he is not a team player. Sam seems to be in the firing line too as he was in charge of the entree which was not well received.
Justine & Chris are the dream team! I also think that Lucas is a dark horse. I loved how Justine stood up for herself against George’s moronic comments (i.e. questioning why they only had leather jackets & pressing her to pick out a weak team member).
Sarah looked great in her yellow dress! Loved the trench she was wearing too :)

2 CG { 06.04.09 at 12:15 am }

I only caught the tail end of the episode and will go back and watch the whole thing later. But it does look like Trevor has got to go for his numb-butt decision to use the bait! If and when he goes, Trevor has not only lost out on becoming “Australia’s first MasterChef” but who the hell is gonna eat at his restaurant now that he has revealed his standards? The state food police in WA will be right on to him! Really stupid move. What made him so nervous that he felt he had to get an edge and make a crazy call like that?! He had a good catch and a 30min+ lead time on the Blue team. His decision making suggests he is not a very “stable” thinker.

3 Batterly { 06.04.09 at 1:30 am }

Absolutely gorgeous presentation of Sarah in the yellow dress. Top notch, would gladly be woken up at 04:30 any morning if that sight was standing there greeting the sunrise.

The results in the envelope has got to be for dramatic pause and effect. Works better with timing if they have to open up the envelope as opposed to standing around a few minutes more before reveal.

Poh looked like she was going to spill that they ditched the sauce because it was just not good and that the salt syrup made them coil.

Does Justine have a time issue? The chef challenge yesterday and the fish tonight, seems to be running really close to the clock.

4 CG { 06.04.09 at 4:54 am }

When Gary was waking people up I was worried one of the girls was gonna be half dressed. The closest we got was a shot of Sandra in her sexy PJs. I watched the online version only and the shot of Sandra was all boobies, did it come across this way on the large screen tv?

And they’ve gotta stop with the bathroom shots. Hopefully Trevor is gone after tomorrow ’cause I don’t want to see another photo of him half naykid with his big gut hanging out.

As for the teams, was surprised Justine picked Julie ahead of Lucas. Lucas was picked second last. Also surprised he wasn’t picked up by Trevor in between. So much for my theory about a little sumthin going on between Lucas and Justine.

As for the food, it is all about the food, isn’t it? I couldn’t even look at the dishes that had the bits of bait included. The Red team’s dessert looked good though. On the Blue side I thought they did well with what they had to work with. As for their dessert, it wasn’t fair it all came down on Sandra. There were shots of Julie preparing the pears and she said she was doing the chantilly cream?

No question Trevor should be going. On one of the other boards someone said in the preview for Friday’s masterclass you can see Sam. Is Channel 10 just really amateur with their editing to give stuff away all the time or is it for some reason intentional?

PS: Sarah’s yellow dress was way too short and slutty looking. If she wants to be taken seriously and (hopefully) take on a more substantial role and/or be a judge a la Padma, she needs make sure she isn’t pigeon-holed as just the eye candy (and Chris’ perving of Sarah was kinda gross, he is a bit of a weirdo but by all indications a good cook).

PPS: I initially tuned in late and started watching where Trevor is serving the judges and explaining the jug of sauce had disappeared. My first reaction was, where was Tom! Poor Tom. Too funny. But after watching the full episode, I understand why they couldn’t serve the prawn bisque but what happened to the burnt butter sauce – did Poh refuse to cook it? Trevor told at least two lies: (i) it got thrown out; and later he said (ii) he left it on the bench by mistake when he took the plates into the judges. Poh called him on it, taking her cue from Andre I suppose and thinking ahead to the vote.

It may be fairly anti-climatic tomorrow if Trevor goes…but me thinks the process before the vote will be interesting and the claws will be coming out.

5 Injera { 06.04.09 at 7:51 am }

Great recap – don’t feel as though I missed a thing (well, clearly I missed Trev in a towel, but that sounds like it was a lucky break for me).

On your poll: Tom. Of course!

6 Reality Raver { 06.04.09 at 12:43 pm }

CG: No missed the shot of Sandra’s boobs, my partner will be most disappointed he would have demanded a rewind, like we did to crack up at the look on Chris’s face when he saw Sarah…

Are her boobs real? Also are her eyebrows tattooed? I don’t mind Sandra, I think she is a pretty good cook when she is within her comfort zone.

I don’t think Chris is weird, I think he is being very very savvy. I think he has realised this is a reality TV show and he is using all his tricks to stay in. I think if he opens a beer mason’s restaurant I will definitely try it out. He can cook. I mean he whipped up that fish mousse in zucchinni flowers in under an hour.
Tend to agree regarding Trevor and his judgement. If I was going to use the bait I would have quickly pan fried some when I got back to taste it rather then just whack it in the dishes. Also really stupid to lie – he was always going to be caught out, and in the long term it won’t do his credibility any good with the judges or his competitors.

But it seems Trevor is out tonight as you point out the ad shows Sam. Come on Channel Ten if you are going to do eliminations, make sure you don’t blow the suspense.

Laura – I agree George’s question of “Why do you only have leather jacket?” goes down as the fuckwit question of the series. Seriously like they had a choice.

Batterly – Just as well you are not on the show otherwise your nickname would be culinary boner (apologies to one of the blogs regular commenters).
Your probably right about dramatic timing of the envelope. Just a bit stupid that he has the “academy award” surprise look when he reads the answer.

I think Poh’s facial expressions showed that Trevor was lying.

Did anyone else notice Lucas’s bad sunburn?

Injera: At this stage agree Tom, but by season 2 I may change vote.

7 Wurstsemmel { 06.04.09 at 5:02 pm }

There’s no real de-bait (ha!). Trevor’s going down…but that’s okay, he’s a submariner, he’ll cope.

Poh-face is turning out to be a bit of dobber, no?

8 Sooty { 06.04.09 at 6:37 pm }

Hey! I just rewound my recording and I sear I DID see Trevor’s sauce. It was in a low bowl or a wide sauce boat and a sort of pinky shade, with a small serving spoon sticking out. He’s not such a liar after all, which then makes me wonder did they ‘lose’ it behind his back on purpose because it tasted worse than the other one that tasted like salt. What a dopey decision to use the bait when they had enough fresh fish that they caught to do all sorts of variations.

Wish Poh would tone down her use of bright pink blusher. Sandra sure is surly, too.

9 Injera { 06.04.09 at 7:12 pm }

Have just watched the ep and… wow.

– at least Ramsay gets his sous chefs to do the pot banging wake-up call
– was looking forward to seeing Sarah’s yellow dress after reading those comments. It looked all kinds of cute but did she need to cover it with that coat?
– CG, I’m also totally obsessed with the Justine/Lucas dynamic and was not only surprised by his late pick, but also was watching like a hawk for the celebration scene – they gave me nothing. Nothing!
– I felt (temporarily) sorry for Sandra during the team picking. It took me right back to high school and the inevitable “If we have to have Injera, can we also have someone good?”
– On the uneven teams, this is the second time the larger team has won. It’s probably not much of a stretch to conclude that having an extra pair of hands is a help in these contests. As somebody else suggested, following the Survivor rule of sitting somebody out would be good.
– Andre: “I love the smell of fish, I love the look of it and I love feeling it through my fingers.” W-e-i-r-d
– I loved it when Julie said that she was “starting to FREAK OUT!”. She’s got way more self-awareness than George, who once again tried to advise somebody on their table manners. Sure, I was always told not to lick my knife, so maybe Gary should be alerted to the fact that it’s not necessarily accepted at all tables, but… pot? Meet kettle.
– is this the first time that we’ve heard that the way the food is presented to the judges counts? If that’s the case, I’m even more surprised that Aaron was chosen to present the food last week.
– Matt needs to stop making fakeoutface. It’s worse than Poh’s sexyface
– by the end of the judges’ interrogation, I was really sorry that red won. If they’d lost it definitely would’ve been bye-bye surly Sandra.

10 Reality Raver { 06.04.09 at 9:27 pm }

Wurstsemmel – so jealous that I did not think of the de-bait pun….

Sooty – I think the saucegate was cleared up tonight. With him admitting they did not serve it. Sam gave that as the reason for giving him the vote. I think the burnt butter sauce was over the prawns.

Injera – Do you think Lucas has a little crush on Justine? I think Sandra is just feeling under seige at the moment, she may be the one to be eliminated on Monday. I don’t know why people don’t want to work with Geni she seems like she is a good cook.

11 Jason { 06.05.09 at 12:19 pm }

While I am enjoying MCA, I wonder why Channel Ten is trying to make it into a ‘culinary big brother’ rather than the excellent cooking show that it is overseas.

Pity – it could really have sparked something in Australia.

12 Laura { 06.05.09 at 8:20 pm }

Sooty – I’m glad I am not the only one to notice Poh’s over-use of blush! Especially noticeable when she has her Princess Leia hairstyle lol.