MasterChef Australia – Geni Decides To Take A Swipe

As I have said previously when you have older and articulate contestants in reality TV show the more open and honest they are about their experience once they get out.

And today Geni who was eliminated last night has said in an interview in the Daily Telegraph that it is not all love and sunshine in the MasterChef house.

Some exerpts from the article include:

Geni Papacostas said there was a lot of behind-the-scenes rivalry between contestants which viewers were not seeing in the heavily-edited TV show.

The Brisbane-based teacher said it was back at the MasterChef house, rather than on the kitchen set, that contestants’ true personalities emerge – and it wasn’t always pretty.

“I would cook dinner most nights for everyone back home but people (other contestants) would not cook or get in the kitchen because they would not want to show skills or give ideas to the others,” he said.

“That’s what made me start wondering (about the other contestants’ motives). Andre and Poh say I was used in a way because I would give people recipes and ideas.”

Papacostas said she under-performed last night because she had already decided to let Yeow and Ursini move through to the next round.

She also said the show is only showing the nice sides of the contestant personalities. Now considering there are barely any people left in the house, I suspect she is taking a swipe at Chris and Justine. Because seriously would Sam have any culinary secrets to give away?

1 Wurstsemmel { 06.16.09 at 2:09 pm }

I like Geni but I always am a little cynical about people saying they performed poorly to ‘let the others through’….Sounds like Geni knew her days were limited and so she generated some positive PR for herself….but this also discounts the efforts of the others (much as I’m no Poh or Andre fan).

And Sam? Don’t be so mean. The internet is abuzz with requests for the recipe for his prawn and vegetable stew.

2 Reality Raver { 06.16.09 at 3:51 pm }

Wurstsemmel – LOL how did you know I am cooking Sam’s recipe tonight…
I think Geni was hard done by as she is a good cook, but probably does not move outside her comfort zone but it always looks like it has a ton of flavour. Whereas Sam’s dish was bland, and a messed up chocolate fondant. Oh that’s right it turned into pudding.

3 Wurstsemmel { 06.16.09 at 4:38 pm }

Ha! I knew it.

And, as for the dessert, more of a chocolate fon-don’t really.

4 Injera { 06.16.09 at 4:58 pm }

Name names, Geni! I want to know exactly who the bitches are in the house and what it is they do. None of this vague oooh-the-cameras-don’t-show-everything crap.

Sam certainly isn’t Mr Congeniality, but none of the contestants really shine through in the personality stakes, do they?

5 sourkraut { 06.16.09 at 9:17 pm }

after watching the “balcony crowd” tonight it was very obvious that one person really didn’t want Julie to win. (thus proving Geni’s point) The edits only showed this person once when she said “MAJOR mistake.” Laugh I nearly wet myself as coming from this person the comment was rather incredible considering the mistakes this person has made.GUESS WHO duh prize for working it out is a night at Gary’s restaurant eating slightly singed raw steak with smoked beetroot and homemade icecream drenched in no name homemade clear jamaican rum (cause we cant use any prefabricated products on masterchef) .
Unfortunately the editing shows very little so its hard to judge personalities and their dishes and the amount of coaching each of them get from Judge DREDD

6 Laura { 06.16.09 at 9:44 pm }

Ooo interesting. I agree that it must be Justine and Chris who are competitive, as Geni seems quite fond of Andre and Poh, and I doubt that Julie would be so sneaky. And Sam sucks anyway lol.
I think the producers’ hand is showing lately in the judging and I don’t like it.

7 Reality Raver { 06.16.09 at 10:10 pm }

Laura and sourkraut – editing is a big factor, and Poh is not getting a great edit, however Chris, Sam, Julie and Justine are. Is this because they want to keep the front runners ie Chris and Justine looking good in case they win so they don’t alienate any potential cookbook buyers?

8 Fingers { 07.13.09 at 7:21 pm }

Geni has a great rack, I’d give her one!!