MasterChef Australia – Justine V Julie In The Pressure Test

Did the set designer have an Stanley Kubrick Eyes Wide Shut  moment tonight in the judges room with all the candles everywhere? Did anyone else expect to see a hooded procession enter the room and start putting masks on the judges? And you know that the cheeky buggers would love that. I could just imagine George Calombaris the master of hyperbole declaring “This is the most important orgy of your life, your representing Australia. Yeah?”

What The Set Was Used For After Judging Had Taken Place

What The Set Was Used For After Judging Had Taken Place

There was an erotic thread throughout the episode with the homoerotic scene where Andre and Sam were being massaged by attractive Chinese women. Andre raised his head (no pun intended) and gave Sam a satisfied smile.

Are Andre and Sam behind the masks?

Are Andre and Sam behind the masks?

But thankfully MasterChef Australia is more straightforward than Eyes Wide Shut, I still don’t know what that film is about.

Tonight Justine and Julie were head to head in the pressure test. The dish they had to cook was sweet and sour duck with Ho Fun Noodles. They had 30 minutes to produce it in, which was not a lot of time to do the prep and cooking. In the judging it came down to the flavour of Julie’s versus the more slinky but less flavoursome noodles of Justine’s.

Julie who is hitting her stride at the right end of the competition was declared to be safe. However I wasn’t shedding any tears for Justine just yet. I thought the post script which said Justine is looking to do some work experience in a French restaurant just seemed a bit vague. I smell a wildcard re-entry coming on.

Highlight of the episode was the smug look on Chris Badenoch’s face when he realised his biggest competition had just been punted.

1 Jacqui { 06.25.09 at 10:53 pm }

Why did we need to see the massages? Plus we missed the publicity shot of Chris drinking his beer on his bed again! Stir fry- why is that a pressure test? That is so easy, they should have just given them a can of soup and asked them to heat it up! The pressure tests are getting easier and easier! Anyone agree?

2 tiff { 06.25.09 at 11:17 pm }

I agree Jacqui. That stir-fry was a poor choice for a pressure test. There were so many cantonese/chinese dishes to choose from!

3 Jacqui { 06.25.09 at 11:21 pm }

I was expecting some weird dish with ingredients i had never heard of or seen before! The pressure test is meant to challenge them, not just let them cook a simple 5 min duck stir fry! Where are all the other exotic delicacies we saw at the markets in the buckets? They should have used them instead!

4 Reality Raver { 06.25.09 at 11:35 pm }

Jacqui and Tiff agree, weird and easy dish – I have never seen sweet and sour on noodles, but then again sweet and sour is not something I look for on menus. I have to many meals in country chinese when I was young to even contemplate ordering it, also I avoid mongolian lamb as well.

5 Ange { 06.25.09 at 11:50 pm }

As long as Julie won, I am ok. Still waiting for the “twist”, I expect Justine will be back.

GO JULES.

Do it for the other mothers, oh, and yourself, yeah?

6 sourkraut { 06.26.09 at 1:02 am }

glad to see Julie won
SAD to see Justine go
Pity it wasn’t Andre
George
I thought I warned you about countdowns……… I’ll have to contact Mr T in his Tank and see if he cant assist you to correct it
Most crucial yadderyadder blah blah ad infinitum ………..of your mc career. S@#T abrick George, if you hadn’t reminded us we would NEVER have guessed, and as for you intelligent question to Justine “are you stressed?” why don’t you just ask something useful like”how would you feel about a dose of herpes?” I warn you if I bust my tv set with a brick I’m going to come after you and make you cook an American new York hot dog and then make you eat it. Stressed my butt!!!!!!!!!! Waddya expect the poor girl to say? “no George i just had a multiple orgasm thinking about cooking for your restaurant” DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SINCE WHEN did the fact that noodles were broken or not have anything to do with the TASTE of a dish. Talk about trying ring out suspense from a foregone conclusion, at least criticise one of the dishes on a taste basis. And why ask the inane question (AGAIN) re why is this important to you etc etc? The answers obviously had zilch to do with the outcome. Were you just trying to extract a bit more emotion, just to be sure you got one or both of the girls weeping? STOP it Cease and desist! enuogh already
well glad Julie won but Bu$%er it I wish it had been Andre or sam who were eliminated. This will get harder to keep watching if all the deserving contestants exit b4 the finals
COMMISERATIONS Justine.

7 sourkraut { 06.26.09 at 1:07 am }

Jacqui
Have you got the recipe for heating up a can of soup for me, Its too complicated for me wivout it. PS I also lost the recipe for Iceblocks, maybe that could be the next pressure test and i could thus learn something

8 Injera { 06.26.09 at 8:26 am }

I’m beginning to suspect we’ve all been duped and that this is a massive viral marketing campaign for “Julie and Julia”.

How is Justine out when Sam is still in????

This has driven me back to my original bitching about how this show is a poor substitute for the real Masterchef. Stir fried noodles wouldn’t even get a spot in the quarter finals, unless they were put up against vomit risotto and falling-apart (not falling like autumn leaves) rice paper rolls.

It’s not that Julie didn’t win that test, it’s that this test never should have come down to Julie vs Justine when there are such obvious passengers still in the competition.

Grr.

Oh, and sourkraut – are you saying you don’t send your Mee Goreng back if the noodles aren’t all regulation length? No wonder the standards in kitchens are slipping!

9 kate { 06.26.09 at 9:50 am }

Weirdist thing of all is the idea of relaxing at a spa that could be anywhere in the world when you could be out collecting ideas and gaining experience for the competition…or just enjoying HK!

10 Wurstsemmel { 06.26.09 at 10:49 am }

I did think for a moment that Julie was going to lose the challenge on the basis of broken noodles. That would have finished Masterchef for me. It’s sad Justine is gone (for now – but I suspect, as many others do, a return – maybe a pressure test between despatched competitors for one place in the final?)

Bit of a non-event, this episode. I don’t really care to see Andre and Sam getting massaged and in the judging scene, my main concern was that the carpet might go up in flames. What a bizarre setting.

This show is rapidly becoming a parody of the real Masterchef.
Needs a bit of a rethink before Season 2.

11 TDK { 06.26.09 at 11:11 am }

I noticed the infinite numbers of candles too, and quietly laughed at it.

12 Culinary Boner { 06.26.09 at 11:35 am }

Highlight was the massage scene – with the boys’ body language channeling Beavis & Butthead. “Hey Butthead, I’ve got wood. Yup, Beavis, me too.” Come to think of it, the inanities which dribble out of the gobs of this pair at times make B&B look like mensa members.

Raver, the Kubrick-set reference is a crack up. What were they trying to replicate? Personally, I think it was closer to a Peter Greenaway set from the much more relevant, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Now that would have been a culinary challenge compared to the food-court slop they served up… Crispy, baked ex-lover.

13 Reality Raver { 06.26.09 at 5:04 pm }

I suspect they had to do something quick as they were only allowed the kitchen for a certain amount of time.

Culinary Boner – very funny re: Beavis and Butthead.

Sourkrout you are crazy funny I love it. Hopefully it will be a tougher challenge next week, like Peking Duck.

wurstsemmel and TDK – yes I don’t know what the point was with the candles. Does anyone know?

Kate- I suspect spa was to do as part of hotel promtion agreement.

14 Injera { 06.26.09 at 7:45 pm }

I know I should be over this by now, but I am still seething over George’s “You are the total package. You are a beautiful person. You’ll be a superstar” farewell to Justine. If she’s all that, how much more is Sam? Jeebus. She’ll be a superstar, but she won’t be no Masterchef…

15 Reality Raver { 06.26.09 at 7:50 pm }

Injera – I will be absolutely stunned if Sam makes it to final week. I did think Andre stepped in that Hong Kong challenge, in fact won the challenge for him and Sam. But as you said Matt Preston exclaiming “Finally” says it all.

16 sourkraut { 06.26.09 at 11:19 pm }

Injera
wot i do with my 2 inch noodles is my business. How dare you criticise the standard??????????????
the pizza and the scones categorically demonstrate a SECOND TO NONE standard in the world of survivor kitchen great race reality rave reviews

17 sourkraut { 06.26.09 at 11:24 pm }

Reality raver, I dont want to have to say this again It’s a family show and we dont want any Peeking round here
And channel 10 enuff of the seance ouija board sets. Was the surprise going to be the reincarnated ghosts of Poh and Sandra back to haunt us for all our positive support?

18 sourkraut { 06.26.09 at 11:28 pm }

Culinary boner
Loved the Beaver and ButthHead gag.
How a bout a Cartman joke next time possibly in relation to fat Matt?
Gotta go the mighty dragons just cleaned up the tigers and with a bit of luck the bulldogs will get rolled