MasterChef Master Class – OPEN POST

Tonight’s recap will be delayed due to being slow off the mark in grabbing the remote on a footy night.  Judging from the Twitterati’s comments it was more commonsense cookery book rather than Larousse Gastronomique.

So chat amongst yourselves if you wish.

UPDATE: I have now finally watched the episode and if I had a reservation at either of their restaurants I would have cancelled if this was the only time I had seen Gary and George cook. Gary Mehigan was so outside his comfort zone with the fried rice. And both judges both appeared to trying to bring some forced enthusiasm to the Masterclass episode.

Julia will not be MasterChef i all she has learnt is how to make pizza, even though it did look good. And if Culinary Boner is reading this you need to heat the pizza stones before putting the pizzas on them. Yeah?

I loved the homestyle sous vide of the pork belly, actually I thought this recipe was quite interesting, with nice flavours. I loved how Lucas asked the sous vide questions considering he won his chef challenge against Ben O’Donoghue doing ‘roo that way.

And here is my one and only ‘tribute’ to the death of Michael Jackson with the Wes Carr’s version of Black and White from the Michael Jackson night last year.

1 sourkraut { 06.26.09 at 11:14 pm }

NO NO NO NO NO NO I cant stand it. I just caint stand it no more. Tonight the Einsteins taught us how to cook fly lice Pizza pork belly scallops on pastry and scones. OOPS sorry an A.D.D. moment there. It was really Gary’s SPECIAL fried rice And Julia’s SPECTACULAR GOURMET pizza and SAVORY SIMPLE scones.
My daughter cooks this stuff (except the pork bellies, as I’d rather do marinated (at home) pork spare ribs, ooooooooooommmmmmmmm pork ….
Ok wot were the various sins tonite/
1Andre admitted he copied the girls cooking the pork cause he didn’t know how to do it himself. What an arsey bozo, how come his comes out perfect and Justines was crap? are they using equivalent ovens? (HOW I LOVE STARTING CONSPIRACY THEORIES) Anyhow from the looks of the shorts of the next episode he learns the meaning of Karma.
2 Sam you FLIP……haven’t you learned to flip the ingredients in, that’s INSIDE the cooking utensil yet. Dont worry your turn is coming.
3 Gary’s home cooked crispy dried shallots looked REMARKABLY like the ones i buy in a big plastic container at my local Asian food supply store, but we dont use pre packed yadder yadder……
4 Julia, SO you’ve spent all that time at a whiz bang cafe learning to make pizza. WOW Worse still SHOCK SCHLOCK HORROR GASP she used a tin of pre packed tomatoes, and not a peep out of G & G!
5 sHE JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE A ROLLED BASE READY THAT HAD BEEN PREPARED EARLIER, JUST LIKE THEY DO ON real COOKERY DEMO SHOWS, dont show the plastic wrapper .
6 dON’T BE SO TIGHT ARSED WITH THE TINNED TOMATO (OH bOLLOCKS TO THE CAPS LOCK)
7 Try to find some more boring pizza toppings next time as salami is just too interesting.
8 Andre the genius, on tasting the world’s most utterly spectacular pizza, commented on how wonderfully crisp the base of the pizza was, but when Lucas went to taste his piece he had the whole slice rolled together, how could he do that to a crisp base without breaking it????????? It must have been the 4th glass of chateau cardboard (tranquiliser) that made my eyes go funny. (or wurstsemmel, was it the stroking?)
9 EXCITEMENT at last!!!! HOly flamola uncle chairman Kaga
10Chris this is a family show so don’t boast about your 2 inches vs Gary’s 2 inches
11 Scones, and some chefs cant even cook them, eh George? you gotta be kidding, and let me assure you my missus does not put her Soul into cooking these monumentally difficult gourmet tid bits, she just wants them finished so we greedy grots can eat them.
Chris I like most of your cooking and I’d like to see you and Julie in the final but for fertiliser sake SMILE every once in a while and wash your hair.

2 Injera { 06.26.09 at 11:17 pm }

That Masterclass was a steaming… [insert derogatory phrase of choice here].

Wow, thanks Gary for making fried rice with Indonesian tempeh, Japanese dashi, non-halal lup cheong and that truly exotic ingredient (judging from Julie’s shocked expression), egg.

Gee, thanks Julia for showing me how to make a tomato sauce by cracking a can of crushed tomatoes and then telling me to be sure to always use the best quality ingredients.

And thank God somebody has finally cracked open the mystery that is a scone recipe! I’m sick of those Presbyterian women hoarding all those secrets.

Masterclass? To borrow from the review of Spinal Tap’s Shark Sandwich – Mastershit.

3 Injera { 06.26.09 at 11:20 pm }

Oh, sourkraut, you’ve captured the indignation I felt on watching this far better than I did! I was swearing at the telly so much I missed Andre’s little admission. God. Shut up and realise your “under the radar” days are over. There’s no radar anymore – you’re out there stark bollock naked with no culinary clue…

You too, Sam.

4 Reality Raver { 06.26.09 at 11:22 pm }

Lol, still waiting for the remote. I am glad I have not used the last of my “I need to watch MasterChef NOW” on this episode. Injera I was going to do quick DM Tweet to you at 7.35pm when I realised I had missed the jump but thought it would be a tad rude to ask you to blog at such late notice.

I did see the first 5 minutes when Julia and Lucas walking in and saying how important it was for them to be in these classes. This is after Julia has missed the last five. I wonder if it is to give her a bit of screen time in case she wins it.

5 sourkraut { 06.26.09 at 11:35 pm }

Injera
Now if they’d cooked a pizza with toppings of G’s superduper fried rice and geo’s scallops an d pork bellies and then topped it off with savoury scones on top of taht , THEN we’d have a gourmet dish!!!!!!!!!!
Great buckets of steaming green splat, I’d pay the entry fee to see them all eat that (the pizza I mean)

6 Aussie-Chinese Home Cook { 06.27.09 at 2:16 am }

I rushed through a dinner of gourmet wood fired pizza with maple glazed salmon, wilted spinach, ricotta & grilled capsicum on a fresh tomato sauce made with basil to watch Master Class and…urgggh Julia’s pizza. Oil and salt kill yeast! NO you don’t add when activating yeast.

First George bastardized French pain perdu with Dutch salted chocolate and Italian olive oil. Now Gary does the same with that fried rice combo Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese. Try serving that to the Cantonese in Hong Kong.

As for the lotus leaves, surely the judges must know that the leaves are used as wrappers for the dim sum dish of steamed chicken with glutinous rice (Lo Mai Gai).

Sous vide sounds haute, but simple cold aging with a salt and spice rub, follow by confit in oil also gives that tender pork texture. I dispute that sous vide method is as tasty as grandma’s method without plastic.

My TV is distorted tonight. The vertical adjustment is faulty. Those date scones look flat on my screen. Further those cooked scallops curled up like dried potato crisps. Not sure how to fix my TV…

7 Injera { 06.27.09 at 10:13 am }

Aussie-Chinese Home Cook – I’m stumped as to how Chris managed to just find a dried lotus leaf by the side of the road. Wasn’t paying enough attention – did he just dumpster-dive it or was it, perhaps, with all the additional ingredients available to the contestants? If it was just a “find”, I still suspect a plant… (I mean, “plant” as in “planted evidence” as clearly a lotus leaf is part of a plant… ok, need coffee).

When I first saw the pork dish, I thought those little squares of pork were arranged around a tarte tatin! I thought – this puts a new spin on the pork-and-apple combo.

I don’t recall George demonstrating how beautiful and crispy that pork was, which leads me to suspect that it wasn’t. Julie mentioned melting in the mouth and Chris just lamented the fact that he wasn’t able to say how motherf*cking good it was on tele: Gary’s favourite adjective – “crisp” – was MIA. Don’t tell me George cooked the losers pork?

Raver – I think you’re spot on with that call. They’re definitely going to have to give Julie and Lucas some air time in case one of them wins. Seems like this wasn’t very well thought out.

8 Wurstsemmel { 06.27.09 at 10:24 am }

Seems like probably a good thing that I missed it. Got all I needed to know from here!

9 Sooty { 06.27.09 at 11:28 am }

the bracelet tattoo is under the huge silvery watch on the left hand – so why did gary wear long sleeves and suits in HK? GAR!

10 sourkraut { 06.27.09 at 1:27 pm }

Injera
I thought it was aunty Flo Joh that had the exclusive recipes for scones, (actually i prefer pumpkin scones to date scones anyway)
Also The dreaded LOTUS (position?) leaf was probably left over from wrapping up the bait from the previous fishing expedition and Chris had cunningly smuggled it in for just such an occasion, cunningly disguised as whacky terbaccy inside a boogy board case?!

Well, I just finished watching the Cook and the Chef. Now that’s how this fool show (masterchef I mean) should be run with a couple of really talented food whomper uppers. The food prepared today made my mouth water, and to think they were recipes from the 1970s/80s makes you wonder how far we have really progressed since then despite the efforts of the great god science! Sate skewers looked yummy and the sausage in brioche was very interesting to watch as was the chef’s other dish of home made pasta for tranquillising kids. Man I’d give something for that!!!!!!!!!!!
So G & G if you’re listening, learn a lesson from this and give us something interesting in your masterchef classes. It doesnt have to be monumentally complex, just look appetising and interesting with abit of INTERESTING trivia to go with it (such as the short story about Miettas which was on the C and C today) instead of the stupid useless inane drivel we otherwise get served up as pearls of wisdom.
Finally, I am a great fan of the old Barossa Valey cook book so how about, as Maggie mentioned today, showing us how to cook Roulades (or rouladen if you’re a sour kraut). My mother used to make these and they were always a family favourite.
Another suggestion for your demos is a Black forest cake or a Sacher torte.
Right thats it!!!!!! the thought of these has made me ravenous, so I’m off to the kitchen for a vegemite sanger>

11 Reality Raver { 06.27.09 at 9:36 pm }

Sourkraut – LOL as usual, but if you want to see the most sensational Black Forest Cake being cooked. Martin Boetz did one with Maeve O’Mara on Food Safari. Oh My God I am still dreaming about it.

I just thought the episode was strange. Only thing confirmed was when you sous vide you cook it for a long time, which did not happen with Ben O’Donahuge’s kangaroo. I think he is over rated. Also Julia won’t win if all she learnt was to make pizza. Peter Evan’s restaurants are not high end cuisine. Aaron would be learning more at the Hellenic.

12 sourkraut { 06.27.09 at 11:42 pm }

Reality raver
That’s where I got the idea, still it would make a nice change for headperoffspring chef