MasterChef Australia – Final Four Romance Invention Test

Did the judges tonight take pity on Andre and let him win the invention test so he would get a go at participating in Beat the Chef challenge? He is the only one of the four left who has not faced off a professional chef.  I thought Chris’s three course romantic themed meal was by far the best of the meals produced.

Andre’s main of bugs on polenta did look delicious, but his oysters looked dried out, and the crepe was something that you would have gotten out of the Women’s Weekly Dinner Party Cookbook in the ’70s.

Whereas Chris’s oysters three ways, gave the meal a frisky start both in name and flavour, served with champagne, not some drooping hothoused rose hanging from his lips. Also his main of bugs in a bag looked fresh and elegant, and the dessert just looked devine.

I thought Chris’s comment of “It is good to see Andre getting some credit for the great dishes he has cooked.” really meant “my meal was the best tonight, but they wanted to give to Andre as he had never won one.”.

Also why did Andre take oysters out of shell cook them and then put them back in the shell? I would have thought it was easier to cook them in the shell, and he would  have avoided setting the paper on fire.

Sam’s entree of overcooked crostini and oysters looked foul, but I disagree with Gary Mehigan about a salad not being a main meal. Sam knows that women like to keep it light on the main so they can have a calorie packed dessert.

Matt Preston was right to not even bother trying Sam’s puff pastry (which he did not make) ,cream and strawberry stack. Sorry I am not going to call it a mille fueille.  In fact he should have been eliminated on the spot for such a uncreative dish.

However it would appear that even though Sam was in the bottom two, he gets to stay around for another week, as the judges said there would be no elimination this week. I presume that means there is not a peer elimination either on Thursday. Did anyone else think this?

I am unable to make any intelligent comment on the mystery box challenge as my Fox IQ had a recording malfunction and I only got the last 30 minutes. Hopefully Injera(who I frantically emailed after I realised the f**kup) will give her thoughts about what happened in the comments section.

As we all guessed there is a judges wildcard re-entry, they don’t say how many will be let back in. I saw Poh’s picture, are Channel Ten the master’s of non-suspense suggesting she is one to get let back in? I would have thought Justine would get a wildcard ahead of Poh considering she is actually considering a career in the food industry.

1 Wurstsemmel { 06.28.09 at 10:38 pm }

Have to agree that the Andre win looked like a gift. Chris was the only one who seemed to have put any thought into the coherence of his menu.

I’m expecting a pressure test cookoff for wildcard – probably Poh, Justine, Brent, Tom?

2 Reality Raver { 06.28.09 at 10:41 pm }

You think Brent would get a call up for a pressure test cook off ahead of Trevor?

3 Injera { 06.28.09 at 10:45 pm }

Well, RR, in the first half we got Matt Preston murdering a boxing metaphor, to no great effect. He started with the mystery box (BOX, yeah?) then name-checked some boxers, and then moved on to (I’m not kidding): If you mess up this challenge we’ll take that into consideration and it might Kostya Tzu. Jeezus!

George listed the – boring – contents of the mystery box, taking pains to point out that the Real Stock is brought to us by Campbells’ and that they had tomato Passat to work with. Now, I know the US car industry’s in trouble, but it seems the Germans might also be struggling if they are now making VWs out of vegies.

Gary’s persistence in saying that winning the mystery box was a ‘uge advantage finally paid off – for the first time, the mystery box victor won the invention test. Despite the fact that today’s first challenge was brought to us by the adjective “dry”, (George and Gary, to Julie: “Are you worried about it being dry?”; to Sam: “Are you worried about it being dry?”; to Chris: “Are you worried about it being dry?”; to Andre: “Are you worried about it being dry?”) some of the chefs still managed to dry out their beef mince. Except for Sam, of course, who failed to cook his and was not even quick thinking enough to try to sell it as a beef version of kibbeh.

From the looks of the invention test offerings, Chris had the most pulled-together menu. Felt sorry for him that his was served last as no souffle will hold up to that sort of delay. Good that he wasn’t penalised for it.

Seriously, I have to put up with Sam for another week, and there’s a possibility they might bring Poh back? God help us all.

4 Reality Raver { 06.28.09 at 10:49 pm }

Thanks Injera, I doubt if I will bother to download from the website, though seeing Sam’s dud raw dish maybe worthwhile. Did he just not cook or it or undercook it?
How are they going to keep us interested all week if there is not an elimination?

Loved you passat line.

5 Injera { 06.28.09 at 10:55 pm }

Ha! Oysters three ways – maybe a bit too racy for Valentine’s Day!

And they are going to struggle to keep me interested if there’s no elim… unless they bring Justine back, stat. And Nic! Let’s not forget Nic!

6 Wurstsemmel { 06.28.09 at 11:17 pm }

I’d forgotten Trevor. Yep.

Injera , you omitted to mention Chris’s suspect looking offerings in the mystery box challenge. Very off putting appearance! Crappy in fact.

7 Injera { 06.28.09 at 11:35 pm }

Wurstsemmel, I was eating dinner at the time and tried to block Chris’ “kebab” from my thoughts!

8 sourkraut { 06.29.09 at 12:11 am }

bugger bugger bollocks
In no particular order as my notes became scrambled with frustration.
Uncooked koftas. Geo you keep telling them to cook raw meat, wot do you expect
Chris THANK YOU see it doesnt hurt to smile and laugh. The bituminised roo turds did look a tad evil. I’m surprised you could not do a better job there. Koftas are one of my faves and i cook the m regular like and they always come out better than any of the MC’s efforts so yah boo sux!
Andre’s Italian dish looked competent but ordinary and any little mama mia’s boy should be able to whip that up with one eye tied behind his back, so no surprise he won. Julie’s’ looked ok to me
Challenge.
Oysters. they all struggled but Andre produced a whole three, yes count them 3! the stuff on the top of his oysters looked unappetising, and here,s a clue to my age……..the oysters reminded me of an exquisitely romantic scene in the Australian film “Stork” involving a delicate handkerchief………..Yuck!
Italian food sexy says Andre, since when? I’ve never felt like diving into a plate of spaghetti and meatballs with the Missus for a bit of that good old ……….family show.
NOW Why the heck didnt someone cook the bugs with a MANGO sauce, I had that once and it was simply divine.
Geo don’t look so grumpy as you stalk around the contestants, and stop “poking at poor poor Andre” youll have me feeling sorry for him.
So how did Andre win??????????? His crepe was undecorated and plain, there were only 3 oysters and bug polenta thing didnt look that great.
Poor Julie. She cooks her heart out and produces wot the judges all say tastes great but gets marked down because she hasnt prepared the bloody Mona Lisa on a plate Matt you ………since when can you taste elobloodyquence??????????????
Almost forgot… Campbells pre packed stock! nawty nawty especially since my romantic half tells me that brand tastes like semi used dishwater.
I hope it’s Justine that they are bringing back, as the only one left to perve on now is the vita wheat girl rrrrrrowwrrrrr
But But But betcha its……………………………………………….Poh, there i’ve said it and i’m glad.
At this stage my notes appear to have turned to cuneiform (is it the thin end of the wedge?) as that good smooooooooooth port kicks in its soma type effect. mmmmmmmmmm Soylent green.
good night

9 CG { 06.29.09 at 12:54 am }

No one can deny after seeing Sam’s sad showing tonight (raw kebabs, raw pre-packaged pastry) that Justine leaving and Sam still being there is a joke.

But sadly I reckon they will justify bringing Poh back (not Justine) because of the way she was eliminated … ie taste test vs. cook off (and of course because of G&G’s hard ons for Poh). Phooey (or should that be Pohooey).

In The Age article re the success of MC (as linked in another post), the producer guy says the judges are amazed that two of contestants have beaten the celebrity chefs in the challenges to win a spot in the finals and that it is all “real”. I call BS on this. Hasn’t plate 2 been the winner in every single challenge? And haven’t the judges on at least two occasions implied they knew whose dishes were which?

The Age article also confirms the finals will be over just one week starting July 12, so two more weeks until the finals and three more weeks in total. This show has been so intense – 6 nights per week – it will be a bit of a come down when its all over on one hand, on the other hand, I’m getting a little bored. The suspense isn’t mounting the way it should for some reason…maybe because I feel some of the better players have left for the wrong reasons and the challenges are pretty much the same week-in week-out with little variation.

I do hope they do reunion and/or ‘uncut’ show at the end. I wanna get the scoop on what is really going on in that house and behind the scenes.

10 abc { 06.29.09 at 4:11 pm }

I agree that Chris should have won the invention test over Andre, but its good to see Andre getting a little bit of love from the judges after being neglected from the camera for most of this season.

On another note, did anyone catch Matt Preston’s appearance on Rove? He commented on why these specific judges were chosen, but I couldn’t quite catch the reason for Gary and his appointments. George was chosen actually chosen for the delightful way “he mangles the English lanuage” – lol.

11 Laura { 06.29.09 at 4:35 pm }

abc, Matt said that Gary was chosen because he cries lol. I am so in love with Matt now, he was hilarious and very candid. If Rove had probed more (like any decent interviewer would do) I’m sure he would have divulged some juicy gossip about the show.
Chris deserved to win but I could tell that Andre was going to win from the start. Sam sucks.

12 Wurstsemmel { 06.29.09 at 6:22 pm }

Yeah, the interview with Matt was a bit of a let down. I’ve heard other interviews with Matt and he is a very funny man indeed.

13 onadrought { 06.29.09 at 7:27 pm }

RR, can’t believe you missed Chris’s turds. He was so cocky, when he saw it was mince to cook with, but at least he laughed at himself, when the outcome was four turds on a plate. The judges cracked up too.

I agree, Chris’s romance meal was the best. But I knew they’d pick Andre inspite of that dud dessert, as it is clear the show is rigged.

14 onadrought { 06.29.09 at 7:28 pm }

RR, I didn’t know you had a romantic half. LOL

15 Badly Hid { 07.25.11 at 1:14 pm }

I saw the final four in the city 2 weeks ago….know who’s the next to go.
Strange with the lengths ten goes to to keep the identity of the contestants who are still fighting it out for the win, that they would simply let them stroll down george street in the middle of the day!