MasterChef Australia – They’re Back

Should the United Nations have sent observers to oversee the MasteChef ballot on HMAS Kanimbla? As it appeared three people actually tasted Poh’s soup but she got 24 votes. Seemed to have a touch of the Robert Mugabe’s to me.

Maybe they could do handwritting analyse on Poh’s vote to make sure the votes were written by different people. And yes I would look at George’s, as he did indeed seem to spark up when he was telling Poh how good her soup was.

Tonight the excitement of the show just wasn’t about where they were cooking, on the HMAS Kanimbla, but about who would be getting a wildcard reentry into the competition.

No real surprise that Justine and Poh were back in. But the third place went to Tom, which was great to see. They did not even have to do a cook off to see which one would get one a spot as they were all back in.

The opening scene where Gary, George and Matt Preston sit around in a dark wooden room, with snifters of  cognac to discuss who they would let back in was hilarious.

Gary’s acting was brilliant and extremely atmospheric. “The person who wins MasterChef has to be the best amateur cook in the Australia.” he said dramatically . I could see 1.8 million of the 1.9 million viewers in Australia’s rolling their eyes at that one. However it must have taken a lot out of him as we did not sight him for the rest of the episode.

I actually would have liked to have heard more of their discussion on why they picked the ones they did.

Tonight’s challenge was to cook for 200 defence force personnel on the HMAS Kanimbla. They would vote, and the two that got the least amount of votes would have to go to an elimination challenge. However the Commander of the ship’s vote was worth ten points. They had 2 hours to prep the food.

Julie cleverly picked salt and pepper squid with chips, Justine did lamb shanks, Poh made potato and leek soup, Andre made lasagne,  Tom made chicken curry,  and Chris made a morrocan chicken tagine.

Sam again showed his flair for making a dish that was not seasonal by cooking a pasta prawn with chilli and garlic dish. It did not appear to get many tastings. Nor did Poh’s soup. Poh was getting a tad hysterical about it “Why is no one eating my soup?”

When Tom said “I’ve got a good feeling about this” you knew he was in trouble. His curry which looked delicious apparently did not have enough flavour.  I was also amused when I saw Chris shaking what I suspect was masterfood’s moroccan spice mix on his chicken, something I suspect he does not use very often.

I thought this challenge was fantastic helped by the Navy cook who was awesome reality TV talent, I hope they bring him back next year.

The winners were going to Marque to have a private lunch with Mark Best, and the bottom two were going to have to duke it out in an elimination challenge.

Justine’s lamb shanks dish got 71 votes double the number of second placer getter Julie. If I had been Justine I would have jumped up and said “I am back and you can all kiss my ass,”. She has laid down the gauntlet, Chris will not be happy she is back.

And surprisingly Poh came in third with 24 votes. At the bottom was Sam with six votes, and Tom and Chris. Chris was given the ten votes from the commander therefore avoiding the elimination challenge.

Over the next week or so there must be a lot of elimination challenges or there is going to be a stack of them in the final week, as I thought there was only two weeks to go.

CG as regular reader of this blog suggested that as the final’s was getting closer it would be great to have a live chat whilst the show was on. Currently I don’t have the technical capability to have a chat room, however I will put up a live blog for the episodes to enable people to comment, and comment on other people’s comments, and then later drop the recap into it.

I will start that tomorrow night (thursday’s episode).

1 Jacqui { 07.01.09 at 11:09 pm }

It has to be rigged! There is no way the Poh’s soup could have gotten that many votes!

2 Anonymous { 07.01.09 at 11:44 pm }

LOL. Come on guys, did you see every single one of Justine and Julie’s votes? It is reasonable to expect that Poh did receive those votes. It’s not like they said she had 100 votes, which would be hard to believe. I get why some people dislike Poh, but now you’re just hating for the sake of hating!

I’m SO glad that Tom and Justine are back. They should have been there over Sam, Andre, and Julie for sure, imo. I’d love to see Justine, JuliA, Tom, and Chris be the final four. Who do you guys want in the final four?

3 Reality Raver { 07.01.09 at 11:52 pm }

Anon – just stirring. It is the way they edit the show. Agree Poh should be there ahead of Sam. I disagree regarding Julie, I think she is a really solid cook, I would definately eat her food.

Andre is passionate about his food, but he is a bit hit or miss.

Final week I would like to see Julie, Chris, Justine or Tom. Any of those plus Lucas and Julia. The stupid thing about Lucas and Julia going straight to the finals is that I don’t have the same emotional involvment with them as I do the others I watch six days a week.

4 sourkraut { 07.02.09 at 12:01 am }

tonight I enjoyed an extremely interesting show . They cooked some lovely new meals, spoke with eloquence, lughed together, had funand then they cooked a mouth wateringly delicious looking dish of palm sugar, fish sauce caramelised with other ingredients and then tossed in ox tails to cook and finally ate them in their fingers (NO VERJUICE) During that time they gave a short documentary on Kylie Kwong and modern chinese cooking, and it was then that i realised ………I was watching the wrong show! Dammit thought I, over to good old 10 hurrah!!!!!!!!!!

What have we here, I asked curiously? A man in a pink shirt, It must be that new show everyone is raving about, ie “so you think you’re a dunce”
Oh well it wasnt Its actually a show that vaguely purports to be something that’s going to find the greatest shamateur chef in the whole southern hemisphere. Also apparently a reporter for the bullamackanka dailybugleblatt, one David dale (or woz it Dole) informs me that ‘viewers over 55 have no interest in it” that explains it. As a senile over 55er I have not been watching it, its all been a bad dream!!!!!!!!!
Now how did this dream go?
First a grubby looking little bald turd came on and said ” make sure its good” Curious thought i, I wonder why they wouldn’t all make it shithouse just to get in the swing of things. Then on came the sinus girl, she must have overdosed on vita wheats but didnt look like she had a runny nose. AAAAAH the fleeting glimpses!!!!!!! Then i believe they had some malicious all bran, and in my dream i had a whole packet complete with leak and potato soup and it apparently had the desired effect as it immediately gave me the shits!!!
Well would you believe it, there i was on a boat cooking for 200 randy sailors along with 7 other miscreants and to stop from walking the plank i had to cook something that was better than the others. Naturally, having had several friends in the navy i cooked fillet steak to differing degrees of cookedness with chips and tomato sauce. Well stagger me gently, who would have guessed it, I came dead motherless last, not one of our sailors liked steak, In fact they all voted for a curious mixture made of water, leak (the vegetable variety) and potarto, which wonderfully enough the short little bald turd (TSLBT) said tasted like leak and potato well waddyaknow???? wonders will never cease!!!! to make matters worse one of the sailors mumbled about how his wife cooks better coucous than another of the clods with me, course sailors wives NEVER cook anything other than cous cous so he must have been telling the truth. then sadly a forlorn little figure emerged from my dream and mumbled “noones eating my soup” I big softy that i am felt sorry for her abnd comforted her and said therethere I’m sure TSLBT will look after you and the little gremlin will disappear.

And did you know when i woke up to look at the electronically replayed version of my dream it was just so!!!!!!!

As I am a democracy loving fellow i am catching the next Airbus a310 to Tehran to demand to know
WHERESMY Far diddly ar far king vote?

YEP Im not happy Jan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good thing i didn’t decide to show any frustration in this rant. otherwise i would have used words like hornswoggled boondoggled dangfoozled flimflamed sock cucking warse iping, lit shicking sonofabitch ha ha, but as i am a gennulman a i wont even think such unworthy thoughts about the itsy bitsy teeny weeny dimple on a pimple on a flea’s left ball of credibility this show now has remaining.

Jacqui you couldnt possibly be right!!!!!!!!!!

5 sourkraut { 07.02.09 at 12:12 am }

sourkraut
WAKE UP TO YOURSELF you’re nothing but a bitter twisted cynical old man
from sourkrauts long suffering better half!!!!!!!!

6 CG { 07.02.09 at 12:12 am }

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Not happy Jan, indeed! F*ck Poh. Why didn’t they look back further in the competition and bring back someone far more deserving: I think Brent should have come back. How many second chances is Poh gonna get? Recall she was one of only two who had a second chance to cook a different dish during the auditions!! This is ridiculous and really insulting to the thousands who have been following the show all season and enjoy MC because they haven’t lowered themselves to the usual reality television stunts.

I feel manipulated and “dirty”, like I’m being dragged in kicking and screaming into George’s wet dream fantasy. Really, really disappointing. I imagine some contestants like Chris will have A LOT to say about this development when the eventually roll off the show and are not under a gag order.

Now that I’ve got that off my chest…. thanks RR for responding to my request for a live blog…sounds like fun. And yes, there must be some double-triple eliminations coming up because how are they gonna get rid of so many people with less than two weeks to go!

7 CG { 07.02.09 at 12:25 am }

When I recovered from my disappointment and venting at the return of Poh, I had the following observations about tonight’s show:

— poor Sam, as soon as he described what he was gonna cook I knew he was a goner

— sounds like the food on this ship is of pretty good standard all of the time – great recruiting advert for the navy!

— very strange Tom thought his dish was well-spiced and others thought it was bland; doesn’t he have trackrecord of pretty spicy stuff? maybe the large quantities messed him up?

— the challenge seemed a little flawed; the sailors picked the food they wanted based on how it looked, not how it tasted; yes, some came back for seconds and thirds but they didn’t taste all the dishes… I guess the point is food must look as good as it tastes and choice of dishes should tailor to the crowd (and weather!); at least the sailors didn’t know who cooked which dish as that surely would have influenced voting for you know who!

— where the heck is Gary? does he disagree with the format and refused to appear on camera…or did he get a hard on with the return of Poh and had to excuse himself (or be edited out)?

— there were 200 votes (not including the senior guys); by 4th place (Poh) we were down to 24 votes – which is about 10% of the people…pretty bad

— so there will be a taste-test elimination tomorrow – so no MasterClass!! are they out of ideas OR is Gary still sidelined by the aforementioned boner OR couldn’t G&G agree with Channel 10 on additional fees when 10 extended the series and brought back the wildcards?

As for final four, I’d like to see Chris, Justine and Lucas…not sure about #4…as RR said I have no emotional attachment to Julia but reckon she is the best of the rest (then again, Sammie was the resident superstar in the first few weeks…and look what we know about him now!).

8 Ed { 07.02.09 at 1:07 am }

Going to Marque? I was there Monday night.I better blog it bloody sharpish to get some of the Masterchef traffic.

9 Laura { 07.02.09 at 1:38 am }

I feel manipulated and “dirty”-, like I’m being dragged in kicking and screaming into George’s wet dream fantasy.

Hahaha CG thank you for that mental picture! Hilarious.
I missed the episode but dammit Poh always gets her way! I’m so glad Justine is back with flying colours :)
My top 3 would be Justine, Julia and Julie with Justine taking out the prize!!!

10 Wurstsemmel { 07.02.09 at 9:03 am }

Just when you think the format of this show can’t get any siller, we get imPOHsed on again. One wildcard, okay. But four? Why not go all out and all the eliminated contestants back in.

The bit up front where Gary, George and Matt decided who to recall was laughable. That well worn line ‘best amateur chef in Australia’. Who are they kidding? I don’t think it’s us any more. Why is Sam and Aaron still there if that’s the case? For a brief moment, from the way they were talking, I thought they were going to bring everyone back. Suddenly, it seems everyone had so much to offer.

I get the wildcard thing but, in my mind, it should be an earned place. A cook off between the four. Everyone got eliminated for a reason – none of these were voted off by fellow competitors – even Justine stuffed up her noodles. Unfortunate but you’d expect an excellent chef to be able to manage a stirfry.

11 Injera { 07.02.09 at 9:15 am }

CG, there will be a Masterclass on Friday, I think – I heard George promise Julie that he’d show her how to cook chips proper’n’all. M-arse-terclass indeed.

RR – a touch o’ the Mugabes! Gary probably spent the episode writing out votes with different coloured pens, using his left hand and occasionally spelling vichyssoise incorrectly so as not to tip the erection… sorry, election monitors off.

Manipulative editing can sometimes work (creates tension blahdy blah) but in the case of bringing back a Pohlarising contestant and then editing it so it looked as though 1.3 people tasted her dish… and then revealing 24 votes is ludicrous. My eyes were rolling so hard I think I’ve developed vertigo. And I need some sort of “Eternal Sunshine” technology so I can go back and wipe my memory of her exit interviews where she was all “chef? Nah, not my bag”.

Ed – I hope our Best Amateur ChefsTM don’t lick the plates…

Why didn’t the judges consider Geni as a comeback? Sure, she did the worst possible layer-upon-layer with butter and smoked salmon, but I still maintain that her invention test dish shouldn’t have put her in the bottom three. Would have been much more fun if the judges had said “God, we woke up and realised that Sam was still in the competition! Sam, you’re goin’ home and we’re replacing you with… Nic!”.

Have they ever said what the “final week” actually means? How many contestants? It’s only a week away, so unless they’re planning on a week of the long knives next week, we could have a final five. Heaven forfend.

Agree, Laura, that it was great to see Justine justify her re-entry.

Now I wish I’d watched The Cook and the Chef!

12 I like food { 07.02.09 at 9:43 am }

Why is it that no one can see past Justine’s cutsey BS act ? Bottom line is if Chris doesnt win this competition which I suspect he wont now that Justine is back it once again proves that a reality show cannot be made without any bias and that the judges once again are voting with their other heads. I think I must be the only bloke in the world to dislike Justine and her ‘top Shit’ attitude. It could also be because she looks like my ex girlfriend ? Either way she sucks…..she lost the challenge, she was booted out…..end of story. Last nights episode turned the show from something credible to Paradise hotel. (which, to its credit was a bloody funny show). Injera, last nights Cook and the Chef wasnt a bad episode…I agree.

13 Wurstsemmel { 07.02.09 at 9:57 am }

…..You mean you didn’t notice George dressed up in fatigues going back for his 24th helping?

14 Dolph Ziggler { 07.02.09 at 10:28 am }

You people need to stop bitching ’bout Po and wake up to the real tragedy – Mrs Slocombe is dead.

15 Injera { 07.02.09 at 10:30 am }

R.I.P. Mollie Sugden…

16 Injera { 07.02.09 at 10:30 am }

… and now back to the bitching:

CG – I agree that the challenge was flawed. This type of thing has been done on the real Masterchef and I’ve always found it the weakest part. To their credit (real Masterchef, that is), it’s not used as an elimination and I guess there is some merit in seeing how well our prospective “Master”chefs can judge what appeals to a group of people and execute it.

At least in this instance people were allowed seconds, although I doubt that anybody went up for sevenths, so it’s a no brainer that somebody with a visually unappealing dish (looking at you, Sam) will do poorly and the selection part and the visually straightforward (Julie and Justine) will succeed. I am glad that the buffoons who have set this up resisted the temptation to go all Hell’s Kitchen and have the contestants “selling” their dishes, as that always turns into a flirt-fest – eyelashes and Wonderbras at dawn. Good to see some restraint…

17 Ed { 07.02.09 at 10:50 am }

Shame on you. That was even a minute’s silence for Molly Sugden.

18 Injera { 07.02.09 at 11:00 am }

Hmmm, thought I counted 60 seconds… but maybe I need Gary’s mad counting skillz to help me keep track.

19 CG { 07.02.09 at 11:05 am }

Injera, I was so disconbobulated at the return of Poh that I forgot what day of the week it was. Indeed the elimination challenge will be tonight – Thursday – leaving Friday for a masterclass. But they aren’t going to do chips again, are they!?

20 Injera { 07.02.09 at 11:10 am }

George did mention it when criticising Julie’s chips, but perhaps it was a non-core promise (kind of like selecting Austraya’s Best Amata Chef).

21 Jacqui { 07.02.09 at 11:50 am }

If i was Julie, i would have told George that i will cook the chips my way!

22 Wurstsemmel { 07.02.09 at 12:06 pm }

I think George just has a chip on his shoulder.

Actually, for what’s supposed to be a Masterclass, I’d like to see something that requires a little more skill than a chip.

23 Chefette { 07.02.09 at 12:49 pm }

I like Poh – she seems a talented, passionate enough cook and adds value to the show. She sparks healthy debate which is always healthy for a reality tv show ! I was sure she would fall into the bottom 2 last night, but i guess it’s a testament to how bloody good that soup must have been for it to have ranked highest amongst the few who actually tasted it.

Also loved Justine’s “that’s how i roll bitches!” in the form of lamb shanks, she IS a superstar.

Really don’t want Sam to be eliminated tonight, he’s a bit of a sentimental fave. I agree with some that he may not be the best cook but hell he’s been through way too much up to this point to be booted by a taste test, which IMHO is beyond ridiculous. Just let them cook man!

PS. yeah, i’m still convinced George is hot for Poh, any chance to butter her up he goes for it

24 I like food { 07.02.09 at 1:06 pm }

I think considering this show has lost the plot all together, I’d love to see Sam go through. If not for any other reason than to piss the entire cast off and most of australia. I mean I’ll be pissed, but it would be funny.

25 Kyvyny { 07.02.09 at 2:10 pm }

Oh won’t someone think of Sarah in the mess of all this? A well done do and a smashing set figure delivering sadly only a few lines before vanishing once again from the screens and flickering back here and there.

Poor Sarah.

26 Wurstsemmel { 07.02.09 at 4:44 pm }

Sarah who? Hee. With this and the poorly written psychobabble article in the Sun-Herald, I’d be looking for a new avenue of work.

Agree, I like food. At this rate, I’m putting my money on Matt’s orange pants to take out the Masterfarce title.

Failing that..Sam to go tonight please, although I’m sure the little bugger will escape again.

27 abc { 07.02.09 at 6:30 pm }

Do you think that Channel ten is trying to get all they can out of the ratings boom Masterchef has generated for them by bring back FOUR contestants. Its as if we’re halfway through the competition again. Don’t be so harsh on Poh – at least we know she can cook something, as opposed to Sam who manages to stuff up almost all the time.

28 kc { 07.02.09 at 7:42 pm }

i was actually angry when tom was put as one of the bottom two and not poh..to me it is so obvious that one of the judges are in lust with poh.no-one even tried her soup .she said so herself.i was totaly addicted to this show ,now i’m over it.

29 tc { 07.02.09 at 7:49 pm }

Hey, to be quite firm, Poh is the best contestent on this show! i bet all the people knocking her are mothers with boyfriends that are to lasy to propose to them, and think that workmates are thier friends! you people need to get a life! (and can you do the dishes tomorrow night mum?)

30 karen jones { 07.02.09 at 9:33 pm }

HAHA funny, but i think poh really is a good contestant and kc is abit malicious fer sayin that. you shuld think about what you say. some peeople out ther disagree with you and i am one of them!

31 Reality Raver { 07.02.09 at 10:33 pm }

abc – I think they had to have a wildcard because otherwise a really good chef could have been eliminated in the peer voting nights, or just bad luck – like Poh.

I love food – I am still cracking up at your adversion to justine based on she looks like your ex-girlfriend.

TC – happy to have a differing opinion about Poh – as she has certainly added value to the show. However I don’t get the boyfriends are too lazy to propose comment or the workmates are your friends. Please explain.

Kyvyny – Agree Sarah has been poorly utilised.

32 Injera { 07.02.09 at 10:46 pm }

CG – looks as though the chip cooking was a non-core promise, judging by the previews for tomorrow’s Masterclass.

Poh’s enthusiasm for being part of the ‘class seems misplaced – surely she realises that if she wasn’t put back in, she still could’ve watched it on TV, and missed out on all the annoying post-hoc interviews, questions-to-be-edited-in-later and general waiting around that the contestants would be doing. Maybe she just doesn’t want to miss a second of watching Andre’s personality blooming. Beige 70s crepes, anyone?

33 Reality Raver { 07.02.09 at 10:51 pm }

injera – I don’t think I have ever had crepes suzette, strange because I like Grand Marnier. however I wish they would to a grand marnier souffle as I am looking for a recipe.

34 sourkraut { 07.03.09 at 12:31 am }

When did Mrs Slocombe die? I’m very sorry to hear it,she gave a true dignified meaning to comedy.
Hope Matt doesn’t inherit her pussy