MasterChef Australia – Taste Test – Sam V Tom

Sam should have been eliminated when he could not identify the dish when it was bought out by George. “Lasagna?” he pipes up. “No” says judge George Calombaris. “Moussaka.” Sam, George is Greek. Yeah?

These taste tests just don’t have the excitement of the pressure tests, where the contestants actually have to cook. This might be the reason Sam, like Jaws from James Bond, just keeps on coming back for more. As Poh said “He has risen from the dead again.”

Or as Julie said “a cat with nine lives.”. Sam has been in an elimination challenge nine times.

I note Chris was starting to be strategic and wanted Sam to stay in as he knows he will never win. Tom was much more of a threat.

I thought Tom was being very smart as he was picking the obvious ingredients. Then he went and picked thyme. Uh oh. Why wouldn’t you go for oregano first or bay leaf? Anyway I felt sorry for him, he just cannot seem to take a trick in this competition. However if he could get his sweating under control I would eat in his restaurant.

The other seven looked like they had a delicious lunch at  Marque and here is a great review of their special Friday lunch on Not Quite Nigella. Also Melbourne food blogger Tomatomhas a recent review of Marque’s incredible degustation menu here.

1 Injera { 07.02.09 at 10:31 pm }

Oh, I didn’t think Chris was being strategic – I thought he was just bowing to the inevitable that Sam, like Jaws as you say (or, as I prefer, Glenn Close at the end of Fatal Attraction), cannot be killed.

Sarah has obviously decided to make the most of her limited TV time b y d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g o-u-t h-e-r m-e-a-g-r-e l-i-n-e-s. Nearly dropped off during her intro.

2 sourkraut { 07.03.09 at 12:01 am }

Mrs kraut said that Mr Kraut is a naughty boy and that if I cant say something nice i should not say anything at all.
Therefore:
Wasn’t it nice that the boys are all going unshaved thereby saving the environment from unecessary rusty razor blades?
Wasn’t it nice that Marque (farque) served such tiny little portions so that none of the contestants would get fat?
Wasn’t it nice that Justine was so humble about having the best sliced egg shell?
And of course it was nice that Matt gave us such an ever so fleeting glimpse of his yellow pantaloons, just enough to provide me with a moment of mirth.
Well, what a nice Mrs George, sending a Moussaka with 20 wonderful ingredients all the way from Cyprus just so it could be judged in a taste test, and then cunningly disguised it as a lasagne just in case Andre had been substituted for Sam at the last minute by ten in one of their very nice changes to the rules to make the viewers happy.
And the nice way that George was able to make my day by applying phenomenal doubt to the first ingredient of eggplant to build up the suspense. Well done George a Hitchcockian performance, very nice.
Matt very nice and kind that you reminded not only Sam but your spellbound audience that he only needed one mistake and he was gone. Such consideration for us all is wonderful.

it was also nice that Tom would make a pohian blunder when cheese and minced meat had not been picked thus nicely and considerately saving Sam’s bacon and also saving the ratings for ten, of all those nice gen yers.
Almost lastly it was nice that Poh thought “Sam has risen from the dead again” just like it was so nice that she also had risen from the dead!
Finally and that’s naice too, that all in the house are so happy and naice to each other and that Chris nicely barracked for Sam

THERE mrs Kraut. wasnt that a nice review?

3 Reality Raver { 07.03.09 at 12:07 am }

Sourkraut – Hilarious, and oh so true.

4 Kyvyny { 07.03.09 at 12:19 am }

Maybe Tom was Sam-blocked, that cheesy grin stuns a mullet, and could only think he was tasting thyme and unable to just think of another ingredient for his round. Shame to see Tom go after coming just back. Julie really looked sad at the dinner table eating what looked like the left over MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-saka with the rest of them noshing at the counter.

5 sourkraut { 07.03.09 at 12:22 am }

RR
What a nice thing to say.
Yes ten has really treated us NICE

6 sourkraut { 07.03.09 at 12:24 am }

Kyvyny
But wasn’t it nice of Sam to ask her if she was OK?

7 CG { 07.03.09 at 12:44 am }

Sam is becoming joke. But if nothing else, Sam’s hanging on (again!) offers some hope that the show’s outcome is not rigged. Why would the powers that be choose to let Sam stay whilst poor old Tom is eliminated on his first day back! Sam doesn’t exactly have a loyal fan base as far as I can tell and his food has looked crap and become a joke amongst contestants and judges for weeks. Boo, hiss. But the most aggravating bit of all (sorry I got home late and couldn’t make this comment on live chat) is Poh: “Sam rises from the dead again”. This coming from the girl who has had so many chances I’ve lost count along with blatant favourtism from the judges. The guy she is banging from behind these scenes must have some influence. BTW where is Gary, still recuperating?

8 Anonymous { 07.03.09 at 2:35 am }

Sam’s existence on this show proves that it is rigged, imo. They’re clearly keeping him on so there is less of a threat to their favourites. Btw, I don’t think they truly favour Poh to become the winner. I think they favour having her on to make the show more interesting, to bring debate, to have that one person that everybody hates. She’s like Nathan and Cosi on The Biggest Loser.

If this show was really about encouraging talent the final week would consist of JuliA, Justine, Chris, Tom, Brent, maybe Lucas, battling it out. There would be no Julie, Andre, and most of all Sam in sight.

Had such high hopes for this show. :(

9 I like food { 07.03.09 at 8:50 am }

It’s funny how initially this show started off as something that was somewhat credible but sadly with the inclusion of the ‘golden ticket’ comeback kids it’s nothing more than a popularity contest. This taken into account I have thrown my support behind Sam. He has no idea, he cant cook and for some reason when I see him all I can think about is Gareth from the Office…dont know why ? I figure seeing as the show has turned to poo (still entertaining mind you) I just think it would be nice to see Sam rattle some feathers and most notably get a rise out of Chris. I hope he’s up again for his 10th elimination and makes it through. Like Anonymous I had high hopes for this show too but seeing as they have been flushed I’m gonna have to rely or hope to see some in house fighting…caused by Sam and his further advancement in the competition.
On a side note, I’ve never seen the english version…to those who have, has anyone noticed any similarites as far as same style contestants and elimination trends etc ?

10 Injera { 07.03.09 at 9:25 am }

Sourkraut, I’m very impressed that you were able to be so naice about this episode. I spent most of it screaming at the telly. Maybe you could be noice about the M-arse-terclass?

Poor Tom, poor Tom, coming back in for 24 hours, cooking the second worst dish and then being beaten by Sam. I think there’s something in your theory Kyvyny – Sam steals people’s mojo.

Anon – I agree that Poh’s been brought back for the dramz and if I was her, I’d be either very pissed off, unless I was in on the joke. She can’t have been unaware of the opinions people were holding of her (that she either was, or was edited to appear to be, favoured to the point of assistance) and to get that edit on her return is either cruel or “the plan”.

I’ve been through ups and downs with this show. Initally, a big “down” when it was so unlike what I was expecting as a Masterchef fan; then an “up” when I decided to watch it as entertainment/reality not cooking/food; “down” when Sam’s continued presence took even that joy away… not sure where I am with it now, except that I feel I’ve come too far to stop. Don’t know if I’d bother watching season two, but never-say-never. I’m certainly susceptible to being sucked in and everybody needs a show they love to hate, yeah?

I like food – I’d say there are no similarities to the British show, beyond the name and the fact that there are pots, pans, knives and kitchen implements. Have a look at the Lifestyle channel’s Masterchef page for a brief synopsis; there are more detailed descriptions elsewhere on the web (but I can’t find them right now – they’re buried under the weight of Masterchef Australia search returns!).

11 Béchajess { 07.03.09 at 4:21 pm }

YES! I wish they didn’t drag it out so much…”Eggplant, Tom? Interesting…

YES. THERE IS EGGPLANT IN MY MUM’S MOUSSAKA.”

*facepalm*

I don’t think Sam is dumb for not guessing that the dish was Lasagna rather than Moussaka. I mean, come on, all you could see was béchamel covered with melted cheese, and, besides, they smell practically the same. Don’t forget, Sam is Italian.

I’m a big fan of Sam’s, but I do know he’s not going to win the competition. I think it has just been luck more than anything else that has kept him in…he’s a pretty good cook, but doesn’t have the drive, class, or finesse of some of the others.He did play it safe both taste-test eliminations, and named the obvious ingredients…I think that was the mistake that both Tom and Poh made, they tried to be too clever, and after seeing Poh be eliminated I think Sam was wise to take that into account.

I do feel sorry for Tom that he had to go after being back for only a day…a fine cook.