MasterChef Australia – So They Are All Up For Elimination Tomorrow Night?

I am completely confused what was the point of tonight’s episode if they are ALL in the elimination challenge tomorrow night? The only person who was a winner tonight was Chris who gets to know what the ingredients are in the mystery box challenge . Also it must have been a world first to have pixelated ingredients on the screen.

After the negative media article in the Sunday Telegraph today Chris was again portrayed as a touch arrogant on the show

“I always thought I would be walking out of the house at the end of the competition,” Chris said and  “I will be very disappointed if I am not in the final two.” Were these the kind of comments that made him a trending topic on Twitter tonight with a  title of chris is a douche?

From tomorrow night there will be a person eliminated each night until two people are left to go head to head in the finale.

One of the interesting things tonight was that Lucas and Julia were back. Julia was weeping as she has now seen all the episodes and now knows what she has been missing out on. She said “Hard missing out on what everyone else has been doing,”.

The first challenge  was the budget challenge where they had to cook a meal with ingredients that were only worth $10.  George and Gary kept on going on about no one picking a protien,  except Julia. Personally I think the other contestants took the challenge as a “budget” challenge where their dish would feed at least two people for $10.

Julia’s dish of salmon on pureed beans did look lovely, however to feed a family a family it would cost you a lot of money. Most guys would need two serves of what she dished up so not so budget.

Justine’s capsicum and feta omlette was described as disappointing. Chris’s French Onion Soup was just seen as not good enough for the final week’s competition. Poh’s stuffed roti with caramelised leeks looked interesting and did get some praise from the judges. Also Julie and Lucas both made potato and leek soup. Julie’s was a disaster – too salty, whereas Lucas’s was apparently quite nice.

Just in case we had not quite worked out who was going to win, the Coles ad just as it was going to the break flashed up Julia’s dish saying the recipe of the winner’s dish was now up on the website.

I thought the judges gave Julia a lot of loving tonight. I wondered if this is because they thought they had better justify her disappearing from our screens since week three of the competition.

Anyway Julia won the “budget” challenge, therefore she got to pick the ingredient for the invention test. She picked the goat, instead of the sardines or eggplant. The kicker was they all had to choose a different part of the beast. They were to cook it in a Greek style.

Julie made a goat pie with tomato and mint salad. “Presentation needs to be worked on but I really enjoyed the flavours,” said George Calombaris.

Lucas made Goat Cigars with walnut and yoghurt salad, Matt Preston said  “Love the idea and concept but question the execution, so from me close but no cigar”. I don’t think Lucas is long for this competition.

Chris made stuffed goat leg with potatoes.  “Stuffing is nice and sweet, all components work quite well.” said Gary Mehigan.

Justine’s dish was well received, except her meat was overcooked, but they liked the presentaion. Personally I thought it was a bit of a mess. Poh struggled with the challenge from start to finish.

The top three were Julia, Justine, and Chris. With Chris the winner. And this is where the format changed from previous week’s as usually the bottom contestant’s then fight it out in a pressure test tomorrow night. But it will now be a mystery box challenge. It was unclear to me whether the mystery box was going to be the elimination challenge as well or there would be two cooking challenges tomorrow night.

The advantage for Chris is the prize for winning tonight was to see what was in the mystery box so he could think about what he is going to cook.

1 Sooty { 07.13.09 at 12:19 am }

Hmm, not so much an advantage for him given what happened last time he had the night to think about his dish… Burnt brontosaurus steak and bone.

Maybe ‘they’ are trying to get rid of him, psyching him out. (Quick where’s my tinfoil hat.)

2 Betsy { 07.13.09 at 12:35 am }

From tomorrow, the final six will be whittled down.
Schofield, Chris Badenoch, Julia Jenkins, Julie Goodwin, Lucas Parsons and Poh Ling Yeow all face nightly eliminations until the final two are announced on Thursday.
Friday’s Master Class will feature the top 20 before the two finalists battle it out next Sunday in a cook-off that includes three challenges.

3 sourkraut { 07.13.09 at 1:13 am }

What happened to Julia’s right eye? It looked like she had a cut over the upper top right side!
Speaking of cuts
What was she cutting on the salmon ?

Any hoo the winner is Julia’s half piece cooked/half piece raw salmon.

What a pack of wusses!

For $10 I’d have bought a packet of Coles no name snags, a squirt bottle of heinz tomato sauce and a squirt container of mastercraft FRENCH (hooray) mustard. Then cunningly grilling said snags thoroughly until WELL DONE I’d have laid them on the very large plate across each other. Then on top i’d a squirted out with tom sauce the shape of a skull and underneath i’d squirt the words master class with the mustard. You cant beat that for presentation. Even wonder woman would have been proud.

The theme is …………………………………………greek. BAAAAAA! wot a surprise, but who was getting coached by mrs g?

How come julia said I have cooked with goat b4? I mean its such a commonly used meat among no doubt 99% of strayns, and someone of her very senior years would no doubt have come across it… yeah!
Poh have you been sucking alum?
Geo gee thanks for the little bit of culture. such a welcome relief from my hum drum existence. Unfortunately you dont remind me of the far more entertaining Greek chef who used to pick up people in the supermarket and then come home and cook them a feast with the food in the trolley and in their home pantries (supposedly’ and who am i to doubt the reality of a reality show?). I think he used to say kaliodexy, which my greek mate says roughly translated into oz is bloody bewdy enjoy (or words to that effect. Now there would be a good judge.
Julia, nice of you to “throw part of yourself into your cooking (as required by G)! I was missing Sam’s comedy routine already, but no doubt the next week will continue to provide Schadenfreude and mirth.

Surprise. Chris gets a win to give all the haters the shits ho ho poh. But fear not tis the poison chalice and i fear my desired final will not include Chris, with or without hat.

In fact i think i’ll barrack for poh………………………………………………..Nah just kidding.
Pretty boring ep actually. At least oz seems to have England on the ropes in Cardiff during the ads

4 Kyvyny { 07.13.09 at 1:48 am }

No, what is in the mystery box is the same thing Jules and Vincent were carrying around in the briefcase.

5 kate { 07.13.09 at 6:42 am }

I thought it was pretty outrageous that two very flawed dishes (overcooked, soggy) got marked as top over Julie’s dish which apparently tasted good just didn’t look as pretty.

Chris seems to have been marked down on the same basis, even though he manged to win by default. But if that was the issue why didn’t the judges tell him it was presentation that was the problem (and something he could easily have fixed)?

Yes, I’d like to see Lucas go tonight rapidly followed by the P.

I kind of like Chris’ arrogant meat obsession, but I have to admit I’ve changed my mind about him after reading his Q&A on the website for the show, which indicates that he is a loony with no judgment whatsoever. Take a gander at this:

“If you were having any three people, alive or dead, over for dinner, who would they be and what would you cook for them?

Chris: God, Hitler (he was clearly insane so I’m fascinated what made him tick) and Dita Von Teese. I’d make roasted stuffed pig’s head and serve dessert off Dita”

Hmm, methinks he wasn’t taking it entirely seriously…But I’m amazed the station let it go through, and even more amazed there hasn’t been a fuss about it in the media.

6 Wurstsemmel { 07.13.09 at 7:10 am }

I’m concerned just what might be in the box given the need to pixilate it, a commenter’s earlier remark about having to pixilate part of George, George’s comment about Greek viagara (pine nuts) and Chris’s penchant for cooking head to tail.

God, Hitler, Van Teese. Humour? Many a true word is spoken in best and this really wouldn’t surprise me at all, except possibly the God part. Or maybe not…he seems to think he’s God’s gift! I’m praying for an early exit

7 Wurstsemmel { 07.13.09 at 7:12 am }

Jest rather…

8 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 9:52 am }

I love Julia, her food excites me so much… The colours, the flavours, how she presents it, just her knowledge about food in general… What a shame that her pastry was slightly burnt!

Julie… What a disaster of onion soup. Her pie was so mediocre, and the salad, hardly inventive! I don’t think it’s outrageous at all that Justine and Julia’s dishes were ranked above hers.

Did anyone else think Chris’ soup looked like something that belonged in a toilet?

Btw… I’ve always been a Poh apologist around these parts, but she was annoying me in this episode! I hated the way she put on an act and giggled like a ditz around George and Gary – oh, I don’t know what this meat is!! Lucas had told her what part she had mere minutes ago… I still like her food though.

Justine & Julia for the win! They should open a restaurant together.

9 Wurstsemmel { 07.13.09 at 10:13 am }

Julie’s soup was leek and potato. I think Julie’s pie was every bit as good as Julia’s (except not burnt). She was commended on the flavours – just the presentation was a little off.

You summed my thoughts up on Chris’ soup completely. So unappetising to look at. Mind you, a good entree for his earlier koftas.

10 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 10:32 am }

Sorry, but I disagree about Julie’s pie. It was falling apart and her pastry wasn’t cooked properly. Also, her filling, based on looks and the ingredients she used, just wasn’t on the same level. Julia’s goat was cooked to perfection. Jmo. I’m probably more harsh than most, I’m a former foodie. 😀

Yay, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that about Chris’ soup! Even the cheese toast looked rubbery and gross just floating in the middle of it?

11 Sooty { 07.13.09 at 10:54 am }

I liked it when Julie told the camera, At home I call this Budgetarian.

That was so confusing, all that competing to win a sneak peak at an ingredient?

But what will we do when it all ends???

I was lying awake last night thinking the reason it’s so nice to watch is that it’s people who are really keen doing something they love and aspire to learn about with hosts who love the subject and are full of encouragement – not a snide spitefest about people sweating in a gym and being humiliated in their undies like BL or a bunch of chicks with inflatables trying to score a cover of ZOO or FHM and a bunch of guys with zigzags in their hair trying to become tv personalities because of their ‘zany outrageous personalities’ on BB. It was better when I was thinking it. But there is love here in this here tv show. And there’s even a real-sized woman! Guess next season they’ll really fluck it up and it will be full of would-be Ralph models who can ‘cook’.

12 Reality Raver { 07.13.09 at 11:04 am }

I think the judges and producers just don’t think/see Julie as a chef it could be because of the mumsy thing, which I think is unfair.

Maybe they want to give the title to someone who can immerse themselves in the industry. Though where would that leave Poh? She has said she does not want to be a cook fulltime. I am starting think Poh is peaking a the right time of the competition.

Julia does seem to be a very talented chef , however will they give her the title. There will have to be some very clever editing this week to make the audience want her to win.

13 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 11:07 am }

Sooty – I know what you mean. I’m afraid next year they will do something like that. Heaps of people already complain about Julia and Julie’s looks. It’s depressing.

I thought the prize for winning was confusing, too – from the way they were building it up, I thought it would be immunity from the next elimination or something.

14 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 11:10 am }

RR – As much as I love Julia and think she is the strongest/most exciting cook there, I don’t think she has a chance at winning this comp, because the audience simply don’t know her as well as the others who have been there all the time. I think she knows it too, and that’s why she was sad last night. I hope she isn’t sad about it for too long though, because LOTS of people in the food industry love her.

15 Injera { 07.13.09 at 11:47 am }

What a pointless, pointless episode! I agree with Raver and, well, everyone that most of the first challenge food was ordinary, but… so was the first challenge! If the Gs want the contestants to think like “rool chefs” (budget etc), don’t give them Coles prices to work on. Seriously, chefs don’t shop retail. Adding further layers of restriction (no time to plan, 5 minutes to shop, 30 minutes to cook), it should have been no surprise to see some dud food. Yes, it’s embarrassing that in the final six there were dishes being served that would have had them out the door after round one of Masterchef (UK), but that’s the nature of the beast Fremantle/Ten has created.

Interesting to see comments from people who have obviously got some deeper knowledge of the contestants and their abilities. It’s good to know that Julia is a fine cook, because we haven’t been shown any of that due to her early “reward” for beating the chef. It would be sad if that played against her in the end.

As for Poh, I’ve been trying really hard… really hard … to come to terms with not retrospectively hating the whole show if she wins, but… I’m not there yet and am starting to doubt that I’ll get there. She’s said she doesn’t want to cook. That should automatically be the end of the Masterchef journey (vom). Buh-bye.

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts, maybe she won’t win!

16 Wurstsemmel { 07.13.09 at 11:53 am }

I defer to your greater culinary knowledge, Anonymous :)
On the scale of amateur chefs, I’d be in the minus scale and have the results to prove it.

Julie is a favourite of mine, therefore I’m biased. I think you rightly say that Julia’s challenged because we don’t know who she is, whereas Julie’s ‘out there’ with all her foibles and probably identifies more with the viewer’s idea of an amateur masterchef whereas Julia seems quite professional.

17 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 12:10 pm }

Wurstsemmel – lol, I don’t know if my culinary knowledge is greater, maybe I’m just more critical/obsessed by food! Do you guys ever wish that you could just reach into the tv and eat some of the food!? It’s so bad to watch this show on an empty stomach! Of course… Some dishes just turn you off eating altogether – thanks Sam and Andre!

Yeah, I really think that the winner won’t be Julia or Lucas, because of the aforementioned reasons, but I think they plague Julia more than Lucas, and to be honest, I don’t think Lucas is all that talented anyway. So out of the others, I think I’m going for Justine.

Injera – eeek, I hope Poh doesn’t win. Maybe I should go looking for spoilers… This show has already been taped, right?

18 Injera { 07.13.09 at 12:16 pm }

I’m starting to think we’ve all been faked out by Chris’ win last night. Sure, knowing the ingredients might help Justine or Julia, but we’ve seen what Chris has done with advantages… so maybe this is a tricksy way to eliminate Chris (Poh-tentially the favourite’s greatest threat). /conspiracy rant

Anon – I’m too scared to search for spoilers, although I’m sure there are some out there, waiting for an online sleuth. If you find any, remember to spoiler alert it if you post (not that I think that would stop me from reading it!).

19 Reality Raver { 07.13.09 at 12:19 pm }

Injera – I think I would prefer Poh to win over Lucas and Julia just because I have invested so much more emotional energy in her then those two. Weird and unexplainable I know.

20 Sooty { 07.13.09 at 12:24 pm }

Anonymous, I agree Julia stood out from the start, but I think being out of the confrontation of cameras and crazy time restraints as well as out of sight and out of mind with us puts her at a severe disadvantage. Lucas is a nice fellow but I don’t see him winning.

Justine I think is the frontrunner, but then that tendency to cook an omelette – she did it in HK too – what is that about, brain fry? I’d really like it if Justine won. I’d be happy if anyone with a name starting with J won.

21 Reality Raver { 07.13.09 at 12:26 pm }

Please if you are going to put a spoiler on, as Injera said mark it out as SPOILER and if possible just add link if there is one then actually putting on who won or is getting eliminated on the site.

Injera – To be honest I would probably try not to read spoiler, because I have watched it for three months I would like some excitment in the final week. And to be honest I change my mind on who is going to win every day. Today’s guess is either Julia or Poh.

22 Injera { 07.13.09 at 12:35 pm }

Sooty – you were much quicker onto the conspiracy than I was! *tips hat* Now we just have to wait to watch it play out…

Wurstsemmel – do you think Chris knows that Hitler was vegetarian? Maybe he wants to go back in time and serve him some meat so delicious that he succeeds at art school and doesn’t become Benjamin Linus.

Raver – I know what you mean re: the emotional investment. Wondering if they’ll review the whole taking-BTC-winners-out-of-the-comp as a “reward” next season. Surely there’d be an equal advantage to the BTC winners to stay on, with immunity. Particularly since all contestants are allegedly getting regular work experience, anyway…

23 Reality Raver { 07.13.09 at 12:48 pm }

Injera – LOL I had forgotten that Hitler was a vegetarian, maybe Chris was going to get his revenge by serving up pigs head to him.

Agree the fast-tracking to the final week is advantageous to noone. The only way Julia will be happy about it is if she actually wins. Maybe if you beat the chef you get a a get out of jail free card, so if you are up for elimination you can by pass it one time only.

24 Wurstsemmel { 07.13.09 at 1:00 pm }

Sam and Andre could have a future with ‘Lite n Easy’ or the like. Weight loss made easy through non-appetising food.

Quite possibly, Injera. If you believe all the gossip and innuendo, seems Chris is pretty free and easy with his meat. Euuw. He did mention moving to Bavaria. Chris in lederhosen?

25 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 1:02 pm }

Injera/RR – Don’t worry, if I find a spoiler I won’t spoil it for you guys! I know how annoying it is to be spoiled by these type of shows. To be honest I’m not sure if I can be bothered to seek out the spoilers – and it’s so close to the finale anyway. It might be nice to be surprised each day, although god knows the editors often give away the eliminations in the ads before the episode screens, lol!

26 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 1:17 pm }

“Sam and Andre could have a future with “˜Lite n Easy’ or the like. Weight loss made easy through non-appetising food.”

Gold! Here I was thinking Subway Sandwich Artist would be perfect for Sam, but this is perfect, Wurstsemmel!

27 Injera { 07.13.09 at 1:22 pm }

Wurstsemmel – that was a great call… but Anon, you might be on to something as well. Subway Sandwich Artist sounds like the ideal job for…Poh!

28 BB { 07.13.09 at 2:59 pm }
29 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 3:16 pm }

Injera – Hee! That’s perfect. You should play career adivsor for the other contestants!

30 Wurstsemmel { 07.13.09 at 3:34 pm }

I’m so tempted to look at that spoiler but I know I’ll regret it.

31 BB { 07.13.09 at 3:48 pm }

Wurstsemmel| relates to episode tonight

32 Wurstsemmel { 07.13.09 at 4:20 pm }

Thanks, BB. I checked it out.

I so hope that’s right *rubbing hands with glee*

33 BB { 07.13.09 at 4:49 pm }

As do I.

Interesting update relating to PE mentoring of Julia|

34 Anonymous { 07.13.09 at 5:23 pm }

We can discuss the PE stuff freely here, right, since it’s not a spoiler?

The way that Peter Evans has gone beyond the basic mentoring duties just for Julia does not surprise me. I told you guys that the industry loves her. Girl is going places, regardless of if she wins the title. 😀