OPEN POST: MasterChef Australia – The Final Four

Well MasterChef Australia has cracked the 2 million mark did they really think it was going to be THIS popular. Well done Channel Ten, it has mostly been a fantastic mix of cooking, personalities and reality TV.

Talk amongst yourselves about it all, and I wonder who will go tonight? Julie or is she turning into the cat with nine lives like Sam?

By the way Injera will be doing the recap tonight. So it will be witty, observant and filled with snark…

1 Kyvyny { 07.15.09 at 8:13 pm }

Looks like a plate full of obesity. Very stomach growling.

2 Mike { 07.15.09 at 8:13 pm }

What The?
Is it just me or does that cake look pretty messy?
I understand they wanted a dish that’s hard to make, but surely we had more than enough of those show-off desserts..
Plus it may be just me, but that smirk on the dude’s face is annoying me. I mean SERIOUSLY annoying me.

3 Ange { 07.15.09 at 8:14 pm }

I would stick my face in that cake and just chomp away :)

4 Wurstsemmel { 07.15.09 at 8:15 pm }

bye bye Chris?

5 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:15 pm }

How is CH10 getting all these celeb chefs – Matt Moran, Luke Mangan and now Bill Granger..to break/bend their contractual commitments to Ch9 (Moran and Mangan) and Lifestyle (Bill) to appear on their hit show? Is the lure of the 2mil viewers so tempting they don’t care, are allowing them to appear in the hopes it will rejuvenate the whole food genre on their own networks?

6 Wurstsemmel { 07.15.09 at 8:17 pm }

I like the way they try to undermine Julie. I love the way she sends them packing

7 Mike { 07.15.09 at 8:25 pm }

Hey Wurst-
Absolutely agree. Julie def not the best cook there, but I’d LOVE to eat at her bistro if she ever opens one.
You just know you’d walk out with a smile. And a free treat of some sort.
Def time to say bye bye to Chris.

8 Bj { 07.15.09 at 8:25 pm }

From the interviews poh to go. Maybe =[

9 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:25 pm }

Agree. The whole approach to the finals week is just wrong. I could accept tonight’s dessert challenge if it was in the context of a major, complicated course – with more contestant input, choice – each night this week: appetisers, mains, dessert… It is all too random, too “game show-esque” to be taken seriously on almost any level. It is deivating further and further from the UK MC original and is becoming a parody. Me thinks Ch10 – like Georgie Porgie – are drunk on their own success and a number of boner moves in recent weeks (bringing back eliminated contestants, for example) is really disappointing and the series is declining in quality and integrity as it gets closer and closer to the finale.

10 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:26 pm }

BJ: what interviews suggest Poh to go?

11 Kyvyny { 07.15.09 at 8:32 pm }

F-word (closer to 7:30) they censor out, S-word (right into the show) they leave in. Censorship is flighty.

12 Wurstsemmel { 07.15.09 at 8:32 pm }

Trust George. Go Poh. Impartial? Oh, yeah.

13 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:37 pm }

Wurst, heard that…was Poh the only one to get a shout out? SURPRISE, yeah!!

14 Kyvyny { 07.15.09 at 8:37 pm }

Clever use of the blowtorch by Justine. Was wondering if she was going to burn her fingers trying to free that mould.

15 Ange { 07.15.09 at 8:39 pm }

GO POH – GO HOME POH!

16 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:40 pm }

why the HELL isn’t the chef who “owns” the recipe part of the judging panel…he wasn’t last time with the “croken-bouche” either.

17 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:41 pm }

Chris’ looks pretty good – at least when cut.

18 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:43 pm }

Gary called Julie “Julia”!

19 Ange { 07.15.09 at 8:45 pm }

OMG I reckon Justine is going – that’s why they cry.

20 Wurstsemmel { 07.15.09 at 8:49 pm }

Poh to go.

21 Ange { 07.15.09 at 8:52 pm }

Poh to go.

22 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:53 pm }

hmmmmmmmmmmm. Justine or Poh I reckon.

Shouldn’t Poh have said….my third/fourth/fifth chance… second chance my arse!

23 Kyvyny { 07.15.09 at 8:56 pm }

So Poh wants to win the comp – still doesn’t’ want to cook, but at least she wants that win, which is what the show is all about isn’t it?

24 CG { 07.15.09 at 8:56 pm }

if they are factoring in motivation, career aspirations, etc.: Justine to stay. if they are looking just a tonight’s dish, tough call: as far as I can tell, only prob with Justine’s cake was the bottom crust? are they listening to the viewer feedback about the Poh bias? or is Poh such a ratings draw (love and hate) they will keep her until the bitter end?

25 Ange { 07.15.09 at 8:58 pm }

They didn’t even ask Poh about her aspirations. They know she is just gonna paint.

26 Pixie { 07.15.09 at 8:59 pm }

LMAO I just read RealityRavers post re Chris. That must be what he keeps under his hat. All the extra women

27 CG { 07.15.09 at 9:00 pm }

There goes my theory about having Justine do all the PR because she was the winner!!

28 CG { 07.15.09 at 9:03 pm }

Justine didn’t have much time for Chris Hefner when she left the room!

29 CG { 07.15.09 at 9:05 pm }

So who for the final two: ratings……… seems to be all about ratings……….Poh and Chris. Good and evil. Boy and girl. … But if 10 were smart they would bring Julie through – mumsy, mum – to extend their demographics. Ch10 is top in 16-35 demo but behind others in 35+ segments.

30 CG { 07.15.09 at 9:06 pm }

Matt Moran: “come work with me at Aria “WHILE I’M STILL THERE”…what does that mean? Has he previously announced his departure?

31 Kyvyny { 07.15.09 at 9:06 pm }

Poh’s cake wasn’t even a proper slice on the plate. More like some blob of chocolate. At least Justine has a standing wedge, despite the thick biscuit base.

Matt Moran offers to mentor her while he’s still there? Where’s he going next? Replacing one of the judges for next season?

32 CG { 07.15.09 at 9:06 pm }

Donna Hay looks like Julie’s sister!

33 Jacqui { 07.15.09 at 9:14 pm }

CG: I read awhile ago that Matt is opening a new place in QLD? I think he will be there when it opens?

34 flsw { 07.15.09 at 9:21 pm }

Why oh Why! Poh’s looked like a puddle of poo on a plate. How could she have just scraped through on that. Yay for Julie. She really came through tonight. Justine, Chris and Julie at least want a career in food, not just the glory of winning. Yes to the Julies sister comment CG. Edited to look like Julie will go tomorrow night. Are they trying to fool us or not.

35 Chefette { 07.15.09 at 9:26 pm }

So Matt says to Justine and Poh: “it comes down to the dish you cooked”. WHAT? Why did this not apply the previous two nights when Julie was in the bottom 2?? Why is Julie still there?? I can’t even for the life of me fathom that she hasn’t left before Justine let alone beat either Poh or Chris to win the title. NOT HAPPY :'(

36 Justine Fan { 07.15.09 at 9:56 pm }

I though a good chef was about consistency. As great as what it is to see them cook cakes, most restaurants don’t have cakes, and the ones that do often buy them from business that specialise in them.

As sweet as Julie is she is not consistent. Poh just wants the glory of saying she won something, and don’t get me started on Chris. I think the judges knew that Justine would land on her feet and that many chefs would love her to work for them so they figure she would do ok without the win.

If it’s like any other reality tv show, the winner in the end is usually the loser that every one forgets about and it’s always the runner up that is more successful.

37 joe { 07.15.09 at 10:03 pm }

Poh was definitely lucky to remain in competition. However, I believe the judges made the right decision no matter who or what. What I found most annoying was the insensitive comments coming fom Chris.

38 Jaynie { 07.15.09 at 10:06 pm }

Kudos to Julie for being the only one whose finished cake was anywhere near finished.

And Matt Moran offered Justine a “mentorship.” Is that anything like an actual apprenticeship, or is like more work experience, so he doesn’t have to pay her?

39 Ange { 07.15.09 at 10:14 pm }

I think Matt Moran’s idea of a “mentorship” is that he employs Justine and in doing so promotes himself and his restaurant and his brand. He can’t employ her as an apprentice and pay her crap wages now, can he? Not when Justine can be exploited via the media – just as she was today on the Daily Telegraph blog thingy she did this afternoon, hmmmm? Justine as the face of his restaurant on a “mentorship” and paid a huge wage, well a much better wage than a first year apprentice, is what he is after.

40 josh { 07.15.09 at 11:09 pm }

Well no surprise..despite serving two raw meats and using an leaf from an unknown origin Chris survives to see another day am I the only one who sees that there is blatant favoritism among the judges?

41 CG { 07.15.09 at 11:39 pm }

Great to see so many new posters tonight on RR!

Josh: I don’t see any bias to Chris – at least during the last few weeks. His cake was the only one that even partially resembled the layers in the sample and by all accounts tasted pretty good, too.

I was wondering the same thing re the “mentorship” and whether that means Justine gets a paid job or not. Strange choice of words, why not just offer her a job?

Not sure where things are going…but seems to be driven by ratings. I see a Poh-centric final. Either Poh-Chris (plays to CH10 core demographics: young boofheads loving the drama and confrontation). But if CH10 is smart they will go with a Poh-Julie final and bring Julie through and extend their demographic appeal to the over-35s and mumsy-mums from the ‘burbs.

42 Zephyr { 07.16.09 at 2:02 am }

Just wanted to ask what you guys think about the presentation of the cake as a whole if you compared Justine’s and Poh’s?

Did Justine’s look better than Poh’s or were they equally terrible? From what I saw from the show, the dimples on Poh’s cake weren’t pretty but the sides looked smooth. The opposite was what I observed on Justine’s.

43 Sabrina { 07.16.09 at 10:21 pm }

I am very dissapointed with tonight’s Masterchef elimination results. I think Chris, although not as likable as the others, has demonstrated direction, talent, conviction & consistency from the start (whilst Poh had been previously eliminiated & Julie has barley scraped through many previous eliminiations).

I do think the judges should have taken this into account tonight, as I think the rightful winner (should Poh have not re-entered) would have very clearly been Chris.

If the competition is about talent, then the two most talented cooks overall, who have consistently delivered should battle it out in the grand final. In my view, these two are Chris & Poh.

Very dissapointed.