Australian Idol – A New Model – Will It Give The Show The Oomph It Needs?

Australian Idol will be back on our TV screens from Sunday 9 August, and it would seem they have made some major changes to ensure the formula was not getting tired in the seventh series.

Now there will be a two hour Sunday show, with the performances and the elimination occurring on the one night. The voting lines will be open during the show. It will be interesting to see how that will work, and how they will be able to prevent some performers having a greater window of time to obtain votes.

There will be no Monday show.

Andrew G will be hosting the show by himself, as James Mathieson left, however Ricki-Lee Coulter will be ‘mentoring’ the contestants in a similar role to what she had last year.

Dicko, Kyle Sandilands, and Marcia Hines are still the judges, and this is where I think the show needs a change. They either need to get in entertaining guest judges or bring a new personality in. Last year Kyle Sandilands was the most entertaining of the three. Dicko just looked tired, and Marcia was well just Marcia – bland and unopinionated.

The show will kick off with two weeks of auditions, before a week of semi finals where viewers will be able to choose who to keep in. The week after will be a wild card show.

Looks interesting and invigorated something it did need.

1 Anonymous { 07.22.09 at 3:17 am }

I’m not sure that I can tolerate Shrieky-Lee enough to sit through another season of this. Especially since James Mathison left. I know he’s a bit of a love/hate person, but I personally love him – his dry wit added so much to the show.

The promo (“emotion”) looks reeeeeeeeeeally cheap and tacky. I don’t know… I’m conflicted!

2 Injera { 07.22.09 at 8:06 am }

Agree, Anon, the promo is terrible. Who needs to see anyone dressed up as Bret Michaels?

I can’t figure out how having the voting open during the show can’t advantage early singers/disadvantage later ones. Perhaps a deliberate controversy-maker based on acknowledgement that the format is tired? As for a two-hour Sunday show… fuhgeddaboutit.

3 Wurstsemmel { 07.22.09 at 11:10 am }

Pass.

Don’t get that voting thing either. Surely you have less time available for voters if you perform later? In any case, I’m over it.

Can’t sit through another season of this.

4 Sooty { 07.23.09 at 10:20 am }

James Mathieson was the best thing about Idol. Am I projecting something, or is he already regretting giving that gig the boot for what his role has turned out to be on the 7pm show? He seems really cranky.

5 Injera { 07.23.09 at 10:36 am }

I’m with you, Sooty – James was the best thing about Idol. Andrew G doesn’t bring anything that I’m interested in… no wit, no charm, no spark. I haven’t seen any of the 7pm project but might have to tune in to see how JM’s faring.

6 Reality Raver { 07.23.09 at 10:42 am }

Anon, Sooty, and Injera – agree re: the James Mathieson comments he has a dry wit that used to make me laugh. However I thought he was not as interactive last year as had previously been. Possibly burnt out.

I have not watched the 7pm report, but sooty would be happy to hear your thoughts on it. Maybe James has been cast as the cranky panel member. But then what does it make Dave Hughes?

I think they have got some amazing talent on that show, but I am not a huge fan of the panel format, and because of time constraints I only watch reality tv, and gossip girl.

7 Laura { 07.23.09 at 1:52 pm }

James is great on 7PM. He is not on the panel, he is more of a correspondent. He is the funniest person on the show, he should definitely take over Charlie Pickering’s position as lead panel member.

Re: Australian Idol, Delta and Brian are guest judges – Delta is gorgeous & I think she will be a breath of fresh air. I doubt I will be watching the show regularly though, I just don’t see how there can be any talent left in Australia lol.

8 Sooty { 07.23.09 at 4:35 pm }

Well… James is the roving reporter. sorta. The camera work was done by some school kids the first night but has settled down. It’s like Ten thought, hmmm, Rove isn’t working anymore, I know – we’ll take a bunch of regulars from Rove and give them their own show! Every night! James should be on the panel, one of the three. Give Hughesy the roving grouch job. Yeah.

The middle guy is ok. Charlie someone? Carrie Bickmore has a really annoying voice and vocal inflections when reading news. She gets thrown by the teleprompter and bursts out laughing, which is endearing. The personality mix of the panel is wrong. Hughesy is too much of a pig in this context. James for the main gig! Let’s start a petition. Bring back James to Idol too.

It’s a bit of aiiiiiright or however Randy puts it. I decided I’d give it a week. Two nights to go. At least it’s not the Simpsons…

9 Sooty { 07.23.09 at 4:53 pm }

Realised I haven’t described the program. It’s three people on a panel with a screen that shows bits of newsclips and Carrie reads stuff out in her grating voice and then they riff a bit, crack a few jokes, have a few serious moments c/- Charlie having a heart etc and it just wanders around in a pleasant enough fashion until it’s over.

Nice and relaxed, without that overscripted coked-up ‘hilarity’ of Good News week, and less people. Some guests spots (Julie from Masterchef twice – that’s enough; and the fellow who caught the big hole or comet going into Jupiter that Nasa missed…)

It’s not must see TV, but as I said, better than bloody Simpsons, Seinfeld, or fecking Friends repeats…

10 Reality Raver { 07.24.09 at 1:09 am }

Thanks Sooty for taking the time to describe it to me. It does not really appeal, I really don’t like that forced comedy that inevitably these panel shows tend to do.