The Amazing Race – Episode 2 – Bavaria

Because we only get to see one episode a week you don’t realise how intense  The Amazing Race must be to compete in. You finish a challenge which can take up to 24 hours or sometimes more depending on where you are flying, and then you only get 12 hours to get any sleep. I reckon by the end of the first week the teams must be crazy with fatigue. I wonder if they take sleeping pills as their body clocks must be totally out of whack.

Tonight’s the teams had to fly to Munich, Germany, and then get to Ruhpolding to get their next clue. After the teams left the pit stop they asked their taxi drivers to use their mobile phones to book airline tickets. This confused me, as previously I am sure they have not been able to book tickets by phone or over the internet prior to getting to the airport. The rules must change all the time.

Margie and Luke, the mother and son deaf team,  were first to leave the pitstop. They did not use a phone but managed to get on the first flight out which was the Swiss Air 7.10am flight. The short stuntmen who had been running third were not quite so lucky and were on the next flight leaving at 8.45am.

They had  cars to drive from Munich to Ruhpolding. I am always surprised there is not more accidents when they are driving considering they are tired, stressed and have no idea where they are going.

Tammy and Victor, the asian brother and sister were first to get on the cable car.

At the top of the hill there was a roadblock called Whose ready to fly like an eagle?

One person from the team had to paraglide down the mountain. All well and good, except the wind was to strong to do so. The other option was to run down the mountain which would take an hour.

Tammy decided to run down.

Mel of the father/son gay team did not have the option of running down the hill as he had done his groin in and he knew he would not make it.

His son Mike was not looking happy. I loved the way they edited so it looked like once Mel started talking about God that some sort of divine intervention occurred and the wind dropped, and he went from last place to fifth.

The teams then had to get to Schonau Am Konigssee. At this stage Tammy and Victor were leading, with Margie and Luke coming in third. Margie was second off the mountain which was pretty good considering she was not second to start the run.

Linda the hillbilly woman took a wrong turn when walking down the hill and got completely lost arriving at a road. She kind of fell apart after that. She then got a lift back to the cable car place. I wonder how much assistance she had from the producers/camera men to get back into the race. I read in an exit interview that she sent four hours on the mountain.

At Schonau Am Konigssee it was Detour time:

Balancing Dolly – The contestants must ride a Segway along a 2 mile obstacle course; or

Austrian Folly – The contestants throw pies  at a target which is their partners face until they get a pie with a cherry filling.

Tammy and Victor only threw about 8 cakes before they got the cherry filling, as did Kris and Adam. Luke and Margie were throwing them for ever,

The two black sisters had map problems they were lost twice in this episode, and they were getting on each others nerves.

Victor and Tammy finished the detour first and made their way to the pit stop at Schloss Hellbrun. Mel and Mike came in second.

Did  anyone else notice they flashed up the time of 14 hours since the leg of the race started. I have never seen that before.

Back at the cake throwing tent, the flight attendants were trying to find the wood cutter. One of them  tried to salvage the fact that they looked like complete bimbos when they finally found it by saying “we have got stop looking at things so literally.”

The Hillbillies were eliminated who collapsed in a heap of tears when they found out they were the last to get to the mat.

Here is an nterview with Steve and Linda here.

1 Kyvyny { 07.31.09 at 2:06 am }

Oh boo, no mention of Jaime & Cara in this one.

2 Wurstsemmel { 07.31.09 at 8:46 am }

You’re right, RR, TAR must be extremely exhausting, both mentally and physically. That’s why I was surprised at how Linda even got on to the show. I was quite sad to see that pair go. I’d much rather have seen the hosties get shoved off and it was pretty close. Thanks for adding in the interview.

The competitors have used mobiles in taxis to book flights before so, no, that’s not new but the time elapsed thing is and it’s interesting to see how long they are on the road for. Guess you’d need to do a fair bit of cat napping on planes to stay on top.

Did you note the VERY BIG eyebrow raise by Phil when one of the team members tried to climb over the gate at Hellbron?

Shame the paraglide thing didn’t work out. That would have had to be a fantastic experience.

I loved the cake challenge. I wouldn’t mind having a go at that myself but wondered why it was an Austrian challenge when they were still firmly in Bavaria. The segway challenge was a bit of a bore.

Am really loving this segment as this is an old stamping ground of mine, having lived in the area. Sigh.

And now have to wait another week for Salzburg (and Vienna, I hope? but I think they may have been there before on an earlier race).

3 Wurstsemmel { 07.31.09 at 8:52 am }

Oh, this is season 14?? I wish C7 would show the missing seasons.

4 saffronlie { 07.31.09 at 12:40 pm }

Steve and Linda were killing me with how much they wanted to be in the race! I hate how reality TV can play with my emotions like that (although of course if it didn’t I probably wouldn’t watch). Phil’s eyebrow is my favourite character.

5 Injera { 07.31.09 at 6:34 pm }

Phil’s eyebrow definitely deserves an Emmy – although he’d be hard-pressed to decide on which scenes to include in his submission. Last night’s “pop” at Mike and Mel as they struggled with the gate was fabulous!

The TAR editors have got to be the best in the business. I love how they included that little conversation with the stuntmen at the beginning: “oh, we’re in third, we can relax now”. You just knew they’d be up against it after that! The Mel-prayer editing was also gold.

The blondes must have really messed up if Linda was on the mountain for 4 hours. Watching them walking around with a plank of wood was also worth the price of admission.

I’m with you, Wurstsemmel, I’d love to see the missing seasons!

6 Jacqui { 07.31.09 at 10:03 pm }

I missed the last half due to someone calling at that time, does anyone know if channel 7 repeat it during the week?

7 Reality Raver { 07.31.09 at 10:09 pm }

Jacqui I don’t think so but you could probably find the episode online, of course that depends on your download limit.

8 seepi { 07.31.09 at 11:07 pm }

They do repeat it = I saw part of last weeks one day at about 2.00 – maybe Wed or Thur this week.

It is such a pity the vacant airhostesses weren’t eliminated instead of the scary but interesting hillbilly couple.

I think both the father/son couple and the hillbilly couple were getting ahead of themselves in trying to get the weaker team member to do the challenge. It was only the second ever challenge – they could have let their stronger player do a few more challenges yet.

9 Jacqui { 08.01.09 at 9:20 am }

Thanks Seepi- i think i found them on youtube last night so will watch it later today!

10 sourkraut { 08.01.09 at 12:46 pm }

As everyone seems to be developing a good old “hate” for the blonde air hosties, I guess I’ll have to “root” for them as our indomitable allies would say. (maybe some of the Oz women’s mags/rags can come up with some stories about them pulling wings off flies and jilting their lovers after taking them to the cleaners in a messy divorce etc etc etc , that ought to perpetuate the positive emotions?)

Loved the countryside, agree with wurstsemmel, its a spectacularly beautiful part of the world. Would have been nice to see a pit stop involving a rapelling contest up the side of the Neuschwanstein disney castle

Sorry to see there were no ultra-gauche comments this time

Thought I was watching Oz Masterchef during the pie chucking contest, but could not see any piddle, sorry puddle pies or pink risotto pies. better luck next time. only thing i really would have missed would be Matt getting hit with one of the pies