Kyle Sandilands Dumped From Australian Idol

Well Channel Ten and Australian Idol producers have acted swiftly and sacked Kyle Sandilands, who at this stage won’t want to come back from his honeymoon in New Zealand.

Channel Ten said the Australian Idol was a family focused show, even more so this year with the 6.30pm Sunday time slot. Also his [Kyle’s] radio persona has taken on a more controversial position over this period which is not in the interest of the show.

Also the said Australian Idol is firmly a family program and the recent controversy surrounding Kyle’s radio program (The Kyle and Jackie O show) has highlighted more than ever the conflicting attitude of the two careers.

Discussions are still occurring about a replacement, but one will be announced prior to the live shows which commence on 24 August.

Agent’s phones would have been running hot today with celebs, and music industry types asking them to be pitched for the gig. Hopefully they will refrain from recycling former judge Mark Holden, and also not going for the easy option of making guest judge Brian McFadden permanent.

I like the idea of a different guest judge each week,  but the press release suggests they will be looking for a permanent replacement. Commenters of this blog have come up with some good suggestions like Myf Wauhurst, and Julie Zemiro (sic). I like Paul McDermott, but others have suggested John Farnham. I am not sure if they were being ironic.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Also in the TV Week Dicko revealed how the super Sunday show was going to work. He said the person to be eliminated will occur at the beginning of each episode each week.

1 Injera { 08.03.09 at 7:31 pm }

I wonder if Ten would have found the gonads to get rid of Kyle if Simon Fuller hadn’t been pushing for it.

Please, god, no! Don’t even mention Mr Goodrem. If they call him in, I’ll hold you responsible! The guest judge idea is a good one… beats having to see Mr Holden week after week again.

2 freddo { 08.03.09 at 8:16 pm }

please no mr holden!! like the mention of another female judge & I agree – simon fuller must have been pushing big time!
Can we put mr kyle on an island with that dodgy hat guy from masterchef and have a new reality show on at 1am, where they try to see who is the fattest and most self-important?

3 Anon this time { 08.03.09 at 8:54 pm }

Y’know, I actually think this is a shame. I really like Kyle on Idol. Yes, he showed horrendous judgment with the radio show incident but, seriously, at the end of the day he an Jackie are the hired talent. They do what the producers tell them to do. I actually think it’s quite unfair that this has spilled over to other aspects of his professional life and threatens to derail his career.

4 freddo { 08.03.09 at 9:12 pm }

I understand what you’re saying. I don’t like Kyle, but if you know, tell me, are producers that powerful?
If someone has been around for as long as he has, does he have no say at all? I’m thinking hyperthetically, in that, let’s say he didn’t want to run with that show in the first place. Does he have no say at all?

5 Injera { 08.03.09 at 10:45 pm }

freddo, I’m with you in wondering whether producers have the power to over-ride the objections of the “top rating” hosts; are they really the puppet masters? I mean, sure, Kyle’s a muppet, but…

Having said that, he provided a bit of levity to the judging panel last year and I actually enjoyed his contributions. I’d never seen much of him prior to that and the “hype” was all about his obnoxiousness, but either he toned it down for Idol or really ramps it up for radio. Without him, I’m going to find it hard to convince the other TV viewer that Sunday nights should be given over to Idol. (Again, OTVV is not a “Kyle fan” TM, but found him less offensive than expected last year.)

The BBC’s covering the story on the internet and running the line that Ten didn’t feel they could bridge the “gap” between the radio and TV personas.

6 Anonymous { 08.04.09 at 12:36 am }

I am pleased. I don’t think he should be around young people at all.

I’d love to have a guest judge rotate each week, think that would breathe new life into the panel.

7 Anonymous { 08.04.09 at 12:55 am }

… does Matt Preston have any music credentials? 😀

8 Reality Raver { 08.04.09 at 1:06 am }

Anon – I am sure Matt Preston can play the recorder, so the answer would be yes he does have music credentials…

Eatnik (a food blogger) had an inspired choice and suggested Chris Isaak. I thought that was brilliant as he is great musically and he is hot.

Freddo and Injera – Kyle has a huge amount of power due to the fact his show is so successful. He has even managed to get into his contract that he can broadcast from anywhere in the world.

9 Anonymous { 08.04.09 at 1:13 am }

Matt Preston is my choice, then. His language is music to my ears… And the cravats. *swoon*

I cannot warm to Chris Isaak after he supported Mark Spano last year. Ew. Guy had pitch problems tothemax.

Darren Hayes was good last year, he seemed to really enjoy being on the show, his enthusiasm was infectious.

If Ricki-Lee becomes a judge this show is DEAD. TO. ME. I don’t even want to consider the possibility.

10 Dolph Ziggler { 08.04.09 at 10:18 am }

I wanta see a whole lot more of Ricki-Lee, but not as an Idol judge ta very muchly.

11 Sooty { 08.04.09 at 10:21 am }

Please merciful god not that Rockwiz woman.

How about James Mathison?

Given the show was deaf to viewer’s pleas to have the dreaded screechy-lee removed, can’t imagine they will implant anyone on the panel that I am going to find bearable.

Mark Holden would be the lesser of many evils…

12 Mary { 08.04.09 at 12:21 pm }

I saw Mark Holden on the Today show this morning – he’s gone almost completely grey!