The Amazing Race – From India to Phuket – And No The Race Did Not Stop
Tonight the teams had to fly from India to Phuket where this part of the race was staged. Tammy and Victor left the pitstop first, but all the teams ended up on the same flight so it was level playing field.
Here are a few of my thoughts on the episode:
- I had real issues with the pseudo roadblock in this episode at Phuket Zoo. I thought it was disgusting the teams having their photo taken with a tied up tiger, who was probably sedated. This just condones the sub-par treatment of animals in zoos particularly in developing countries. It would have served the producers right if the tiger had taken a chomp out of one of the contestants, and it looked like it was capable of it considering the trainer only had one arm. However the cheerleaders thought it was “so cool”.
- Ok girls if I ever get on the show I must remember to pass out at the pitstop and have host Phil Keoghan all over me in with concern, and if I can manage that while he is only wearing his boxers I would die a happy woman. Apparently the reason she fainted was that Luke likes to hoard the money and therefore the limit their food and water intake.
- Speaking of Margie fainting, Channel Seven really overplayed it with the “the race has never been stopped before” advertisements. I kept on expecting her to keel over and then everyone else being told to stop as well for health concerns. Anyway I hope she continues in the race I think she is a great competitor.
- The gloss of the cheerleaders Jaime and Cara became a bit tarnished for me tonight, with their “I don’t like foreign languages” comment, plus Jaime’s bolshie manner with every Thai person she met.
- The midget stuntmen showed that even when they had a dream run on this leg they are not competent enought to win the race, they came into the pitstop first after a flawless two mile run with the rickshaw, but incurred a two thirty minute penalties (was that The Amazing Race first?) because they had hidden the bike pumps from the other competitors, and they had followed a taxi through the rickshaw route. Also they should have copped a time penalty for me have to look at Michael’s nipples the whole episode through his yellow t-shirt.
- Victor and Tammy took out the claytons win and won a trip to Hawaii, and didn’t those stuntmen look pissed. Mark and Michael were eventually annointed third for the leg behind the cheerleaders.
- Mike and Mel who had a shocker of a leg starting with not being able to get a taxi at Phuket airport – I mean WTF was that all about, no taxis there, it must be the first time ever. Then even when they saw everyone else heading off in one direction they kept on in the other. They nearly got lucky with the sisters getting dropped at the wrong temple on the way to the pitstop, but that still could not stop the father and son pair from arriving last and being eliminated.
Here are some exit interviews with the popular pair at a gay blog After Elton where it is revealed the contestants do have to pass a physical and psychological tests,and TV Guide where they talk about what happened on that leg and about the other teams.