The Amazing Race – From Phuket to Bangkok

Has there been a more stupid team on The Amazing Race then the brother’s and stuntmen Mark and Michael?

Tonight’s stupidity included:

• Leaving bags behind when they left on the boat up the canal;
  • Breaking the race rule that you cannot use your own possessions to barter therefore incurring a four hour time penalty; and the most hilarious
  • Not realising the girls in their karaoke taxi were actually guys.

I was actually disappointed that it was a non-elimination round, but I am not sure of how much more fuckery of theirs I can take.

Anyway tonight’s leg started in Phuket with Victor and Tammy the first to leave the pitstop. And this is where I got confused. They left at 9.27 pm, but the cheerleaders did not leave until 12.31am and the stuntmen about eight minutes later. But the stuntmen only copped a one hour time penalty in the previous episode so why did Victor and Tammy get such a bit head start.

Not that it mattered as all the teams were on the same plane to Bangkok.

Jaimie and Cara started out the same way they ended last episode, haranguing the poor Thai people. Jamie admitted the language barrier does her head in and she becomes really aggressive. It is a wonder the Bangkok taxi drivers did not ban them.

First to the Roadblock was Luke and Margie, and the challenge was to build a propeller for a canal boat. I thought it was a bit rough that Luke made Margie do the roadblock considering she had collapsed in the heat in 12 hours prior.

I was vaguely amused that Victor struggled with his propeller, considering he would have been bitching and moaning at Tammy if she had taken as long as he did. By the way does anyone else think Tammy is absolutely stunning.

After receiving their next clue, the stuntmen, and the black sisters just presumed because they were on the boat they would be returning on it. Big mistake – did they not realise  the canals are a transport system in that city?

The stuntmen at least had their fanny packs, but the girls had left that behind as well as Jennifer’s shoes. So they had no money to pay taxi drivers. They decided to keep on racing and worry about it when they got to the pit stop. LaKisha did not look happy the whole leg.

The brothers had different views on what to do. Mark wanted his pack so they ended up going back for it prior to doing the Detour. Michael bitched at Mark saying “That’s your problem you just want to play you don’t want the $1 million”.

The Detour was a choice between Broken Teeth or Broken Record.

Broken Teeth was fitting five people with dentures from ones in a bowl, whereas broken record was sitting in a mini van singing thai karoke for five miles with some lady boys. Or as Tammy said “Oh gosh it is Mai Thai trannies”.

Neither of the detours were particularly hard or taxing.

Margie and Luke arrived at the pitstop first and won a trip to Puerto Rico. Luke should thank is mum for that considering this episode she built the propeller and fitted all the people with their teeth.

Jamie and Cara were team number two. The sisters were in third, but since they did not have their travel documents Phil would not check them in. So they had to go back to get them.

This meant Victor and Tammy were third. The stuntmen then arrived when they were told they had broken the no bartering rule twice so would cop a four hour penalty. However lucky for them it was a non-elimination round. They will be three hours behind taking off after the last team, as well as having to do a speed bump. They cannot possibly survive this. Can they?

1 Anonymous { 09.11.09 at 1:30 am }

I’m so behind with this show! Is it a good season, RR?

2 lydal { 09.11.09 at 9:02 am }

the two little men are really annoying. It’s incredible how they got it so far. No way they can win. The other three teams look strong, not like other seasons when there was a clear favourite. More enjoyable I think.

3 seepi { 09.11.09 at 9:24 am }

Victor and Tammy have looked like front runners the whole way – except when really heavy lifting tasks, or mechanical ones slow them up.

Tammy is stunning!

I wondered if anyone in Asia takes them for a native, but so far it seems not. Maybe they just look too clean cut – and immediately start talking in english. do they speak any chinese I wonder?

I was devastated when the little brothers came in before the big sisters – thank goodness for the (huge) time penalties. (last ep time penalties were 30 mins – this time 2 hours?)

I suspect Luke thought he might not understand the instructions for the propeller thing? Otherwise I thought he should have had a go too – Margie seems to be uber-capable.

I hate Karioki and teeth, so the choice for those tasks was my worst nightmare. yuck.

Good episode. I really want the sisters, Luke and margie and Tammy and Victor to be the final 3. The cheerleaders are just too perky and rude, and the brothers – they somehow manage to be stuff-ups, yet boring.

4 Culinary Boner { 09.11.09 at 11:01 am }

Hobbits and ladyboys. Now there’s a fine mix. Party on Merry and Pippin.

5 Wurstsemmel { 09.11.09 at 12:01 pm }

Please say the stuntmen can’t survive the next elimination. I feel kind of cheated they didn’t go this time. Did they learn nothing from their previous penalties? Talk about Tweedledee and Tweedledum.

Maybe I’m being tough but I think Marge tends to take on too much and be a little easy going on her son. I don’t think that does him any favours in the longterm. Still, I like this team and think they deserve to do well.

My team, Victor and Tammy, chosen in week 1, I’m sticking with but he could learn a few things from his sister and, yes, she is stunning.

I can’t understand why anyone would leave their bags anywhere except to race to the pitstop. The teams affected deserved to be miserable – silly mistake.

All in all, a bit of a yawn episode. The teeth thing has been done on a previous race….and the karaoke? Well, as you say RR, not much of a challenge there. The tasks in Thailand are totally underwhelming.

6 Jacqui { 09.11.09 at 7:01 pm }

Serves the little ugly munchkins right for leaving their bags behind! I agree and hope they are the next kicked off! Enjoying the series even though some of the challenges are a bit boring & easy!

7 sourkraut { 09.11.09 at 9:05 pm }

the stunted men, my second team. Boy did they ever phuket up?
But WALOBS! (wot a lot of bull shite) a 4 hour penalty! What next? 2 days for picking their noses in public? The A R must be making up the penalties as they go. “What can we get them for next snicker snicker”. OK I admit they and my first team the Afro american sisters would both make two short planks look like an IBM. Dumb and dumber and dumberer. What moron would leave their passports unattended in a bag in any country???????????/
The only good thing about this ultra boring ep was watching Victor”hey I’m a lawyer everyone in case you hadn’t heard” trying to carry out the basic task of fitting a propeller onto a threaded shaft. As an Engineer myself I thoroughly smirked with schadenfreude over this monumental bit of arts/law clutter- f@#kery. Ah yes the practical side of the law ho ho.
Getting boring seeing the same tw couples win every time. Getting too predictable.
Oh yes my faith was sustained. the sneerleaders screeched away again thus keeping up the image. great stuff goils

8 Reality Raver { 09.11.09 at 9:54 pm }

Anonymous – It is an OK season – there are no strong or memorable personalities. Also some of the detours or roadblocks have been a bit light weight eg the first team to start them would be the first to finish.

Seepi – I think Margie is inspiring. Is there anything she can’t do?

Wurstsemmel – You may have a point about Margie going easy on Luke, but because of his disability she may have always been overprotective and overcompensating towards him. Agree re: the tasks in Thailand. If there were no crazy taxi drivers going the wrong way or teams leaving back packs behind it would be a bit dull.

Sourkraut – love the Phuket pun, and agree why would you leave your passports behind anywhere.

9 Injera { 09.12.09 at 11:57 am }

Another vote here for Luke taking on the propeller task. In previous seasons, there has been a stipulation that each team member must perform a minimum number of Roadblocks – has that been scrapped, because Luke and Margie might find themselves in trouble.

The Jamie cheerleader is beyond belief. I can’t believe she even screamed at the policeman to stop talking to the taxi driver! I was hoping she’d be arrested.

Boring, easy tasks – should have been a doddle. Leaving a passport behind should have been worth a penalty for brainlessness.

Seepi – I was also wondering if Tammy and Victor would be mistaken for locals. Then I saw them waving hysterically at a procession of rather bemused monks.

I could understand Kisha being upset, but was a bit sick of her bitchface by the end. At least Jen was able to enjoy singing along in the taxi.

As for the stuntmen raving on about the lovely ladies… Ha!

10 sourkraut { 09.12.09 at 12:39 pm }

Some interesting cyclewology going on here. The “ugly little munchkins (or as i myself shamefully called them the stunted men) get absolutely zero sympathy for their handicap, but the deaf/ dumb lad gets sympathy pouring out all over the page. Sure there are degrees of handicapism but this seems a bit out of proportion Perhaps too many people have been listening to the song “short people”, (can’t remember the singer)

11 Wurstsemmel { 09.12.09 at 5:53 pm }

Actually Sourkraut, not to rain on your Schadenfreude (sorry, just wanted to work that word in someh0w) but I think Luke gets cossetted and said as much..and what handicap for Tweedledum and Dumber? They may be vertically challenged but they’re not disadvantaged in the same way as Charla (earlier season) who you may not have seen. She’d have kicked their backsides all the way to Thailand and back.

12 seepi { 09.12.09 at 6:11 pm }

Luke did the ‘chekov’ task. Surely he has done others?

I was seriously hoping someone would punch Jaime when she was yelling in people’s faces – or at least yell back.

13 Injera { 09.12.09 at 6:16 pm }

I’d forgotten that, Seepi. That Chekhov task was excruitiating – I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t scarred by that.

14 sourkraut { 09.13.09 at 10:47 am }

Wurstsemmel
my Schadenfreude was over the pathetic effort of the lawyer to complete even the VERY Simplest of practical tasks. It had nothing to do with my degree of sympathy for either the deaf/dumb lad or the vertically chalenged gents.
Yes you a re correct i didn’t see Charla so cant comment. My only reason for supporting the “small guys’ was because everyone else was dissing them for no real apparent reason other than a few moments of stupidity (which we all have some time) anyhoo had to barrack for someone after the blondes went out. PITY IT WASNT THE SNEER LEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

15 Wurstsemmel { 09.14.09 at 10:10 am }

Sourkraut, yep, understood that…was just having a bit of fun with you and your Schadenfreude, no malice intended!!!

16 reality raver { 09.14.09 at 2:20 pm }

Wurstsemmel and Sourkraut – I thought because of the stunt men’s line of work that they may have had an advantage in a few of the tasks. Which they have had – the gymnastics in Romania, and the pulling the rickshaw in Phuket. Wheras Charla was definately disadvantage physically not able to run fast but she kick ass. One of my favourite teams ever.

17 Wurstsemmel { 09.15.09 at 3:23 pm }

Agree, RR. Loved Charla and Mirna. The boys may be vertically challenged but I don’t think they have a disability per se.
Sourkaut, you can check out Charla and Mira on youtube. Some great moments.

18 sourkraut { 09.16.09 at 9:39 pm }

Wurstsemmel and Reality raver
You’ve got me curious. I’ll check it out. You’re right about the challenges and the stunt men, but I guess i got the craps because i wasn’t aware of the “rules” Still it does seem as if the penalties were designed to ensure they could not win. 4 hours was pretty unfair for selling some of their own stuff. Its at least more dignified than begging for money in poor countries, which i have seen on one of the few previous A R s series that i watched previously

19 sourkraut { 09.17.09 at 8:31 pm }

Had a look at u-tube today but its a bit hard to get a very good idea of what happened over the series, but from what i saw i take your point, the small person was pretty switched on and certainly courageous, you wouldn’t get me jumping off a hugely tall building with nothing but an elastic band tied round my butt.
Yes they probably would out do my stunt men, but they would also probably outdo the deaf lad and his mum as well,
Anyhoo lets hope for some tougher challenges tonite, and some interesting photography of China and a bit more screeching (in Cantonese) by the cheerleaders, (I would not like to play for a team that was losing that they were cheering for!)