Do You Have To Be A Beauty Queen To Get On A Reality TV Show These Days?

Rachael_Finch_thumb

It would appear if you want to get on an Australian reality TV program these days it helps to have been in a beauty pageant. Fremantle Media have cast Miss Universe contestant Rachael Finch in Celebrity MasterChef, and Sabrina Houssami in The Apprentice. Both of which premier next week on Ten and Nine.

Rachael Finch at first denied she was to be on Celebrity MasterChef, but that was only after it had leaked out because of her loose lips. If you believe the Daily Telegraph apparently she has been gibbering again, and revealed she has made it through to the semis of the show.

This can only mean one of two things – the 22 year old can actually cook, or George Calombaris and Gary Mehigan are still suckers for a pretty face.

Sabrina Houssami

Sabrina Houssami has been getting a lot of pre-publicity for The Apprentice  on which she is a contestant because she is a beauty queen plus a member of mensa. An internet search reveals that in March this year she was studying Liberal Studies at the University of Sydney.

Today she was interviewed in the Daily Telegraph and she is saying there is still racism in Australia. Duh of course there is. She also talks about being interested in politics, but wants to gain more experience first. She mentions one of her supporters is the now sacked Minister Tony Stewart, NSW Member for Bankstown. This may mean she is a member of the Labor Party.

She also said having a background in beauty pageants was a disadvantage.

She admits she was frustrated by many contestants undermining her intelligence when they discovered her background in beauty pageants.

“It was an absolute disadvantage,” she says.

“All the contestants underestimated me, so much so they had blinkers on to work I was doing because they would be like, ‘It’s the beauty queen talking’ and wouldn’t take my ideas or suggestions seriously.

“So I had to work doubly hard to get my ideas recognised and have my work acknowledged.”

This trying to be recognised as an intellectual rather then for her looks appears to be a common theme for Ms Houssami. In an article she wrote in Unleashed she bemoans the fact that people judge her by her looks, and also states there may be racism in the pagentry world as she lost out to blonde haired girls on two occasions. She does also reveal in her bio that she wants a career in the media, which may be the reason she went on the show.

1 Dave { 09.23.09 at 11:54 pm }

Oh poor, dear beauty queens. Imagine being so pretty that no one can see past that to see the ‘real’ work you are achieving.

Let me put my grandpa hat on here for a moment. If you are pretty and do a good job, people will notice.

dont forget that 10 also had Miss Poland on masterchef. Did the judges just see that she was too pretty, or was it that she couldnt cook that got her eliminated from the show?

2 Reality Raver { 09.24.09 at 12:02 am }

Dave – did you think Linda was pretty?

3 Dave { 09.24.09 at 2:09 am }

I thought she was prettier than the 3 judges. Sex sells and a few pretty girls here and there can make the difference between watching a boring show or switching the channel

4 Mystery Man { 09.24.09 at 3:19 pm }

All I can say is that if Sabrins did not act like a beauty queen, spend hours looking at herself in the mirror, be so self absorbed and talk about miss world this and miss world that maybe, just maybe people in the house would not treat her the way they do – All I can say is that if you sleep with dogs you get fleas, so if you play the “im a beauty queen winner” expect to be treated like one

5 sourkraut { 09.26.09 at 12:34 pm }

I just wanna see the world’s environment to be crystal clear with no climate change and no poor people in the world and peace in the middle east and I’m gonna work hard to achieve all this and to make sure it happens I’m gonna shave myself bald and wear Lowes close and never again appear in a bikini and write a thesis on Cartesian duopoly and its effects on pumpernickel bread in the Rhineland during the 1660s. If that doesn’t convince the judges I’m a worthy Masterchef, then nothing will!

6 Sarah { 09.26.09 at 9:47 pm }

Reality show is not about winning but the fame and exposure….
I watched a movie interviewed some former TV show ”Apprentice” candidatesstories , they show seems help them even more successful in their realtor’s caeer.

”The YES Movie” by Louis Lautman

7 sourkraut { 09.27.09 at 2:31 pm }

Sabrina
I think you are way out of line talking about the advantages blondes have in beauty contests. If you look at the past winners of Miss Universe (who only won because the favourite, Miss Mars could not get a taxi to take her to the judging and because Miss Betelgeuse had a cold and couldn’t turn up) they were nearly all South American brunettes, apart from Jen Hawkins. In fact with the blonde stereotypes around it is probably a disadvantage, as they are thought to be unable to deliver on speeches similar to the one i delivered for my own candidacy two posts above

8 sourkraut { 09.29.09 at 12:12 am }

On tonite’s performance in The Apprentice i would not have judged Sabrina as a Mensa
In fact the blonde hosties from Amazing Race would have done better than this motley crew

9 Miss Apprentice { 09.29.09 at 1:11 pm }

Other than a few close ups of her teeth and face and her own ad nauseum introductions as some type of Beauty Queen, what was her actual input in this particular episode for her to be able to stay ??