Australian Idol – Eighties Night

Ok so if you were a first time viewer of Australian Idol and saw the group song, a cover of Duran Duran’s Girls on Film tonight which was the equivalent of a performance I have seen on Young Talent Time you would be reaching for the remote. Maybe this is why the ratings on this show suck at the moment.

Bottom three were Kim Cooper, Sabrina Batshon, and Nathan Brake. I was not surprised that Sabrina was the one that was eliminated, her performance last week not great. I think the chatting back to the judges cost her a lot of fans. Take note future Idol wannabees.

Ross Wilson was guest judge tonight, who made this revelation saying “Some of these contestants are better singer than me.” I must say I did not realise he discovered and moulded Sky Hooks. Very cool.

Why did the majority of them pick such bad songs? I am sure there were some great songs in the eighties, from bands like the Divinyls, The Clouds, and Hunters and Collectors.

Also there were heaps of backing singers tonight was this to drown out the dodgy singers in this year’s show?

Nathan Brake – Living On A Prayer – Bon Jovi

I did laugh when Nathan said it was ironic that he has picked another macho song after Dicko gave him the “embrace the campness” speech last week. I thought he did quite a good performance, but singing first is not an advantage even with the ability for the viewer to vote from the start of the show.

Dicko said “Still think you are barking up the wrong tree song choice wise…don’t think you have earned your spurs for Bon Jovi.”

Ross Wilson liked it.

Scott Newnham – Let’s Groove – Earth, Wind and Fire

Who is voting for this guy, he is not even cute. Tonight was pure karaoke. I know it has been said before by commenter’s on this site, but HE IS THE LEE HARDING of this year’s competition. Thankfully the backing singers kindly drowned him out in the chorus. For those who have forgotten how bad Lee was here is a clip.

Ross Wilson said “I can’t believe what you are doing here,” same here. However he did add that if he squeezed in a few live gigs a week his career would take off like a rocket.

Jay Dee Springbett said “I think you pulled it off…. all the attributes to be an artist so don’t go backwards just keep growing.”

Hayley Warner – Dancing In The Dark – Bruce Springsteen

One of the highlights on a pretty thin night. Helped by her confidence on stage, and also the drum thing was fantastic and a first on Idol probably in the world.

Jay Dee Springbett  said “You have so much to give both within the competition and outside it.
Dicko  said “I think you are turning into a terrific brand for us……thoughts the drums were stupid.” Jay Dee then cut in and said don’t be a brand, be an artist. I am getting a bit sick of the Dicko/Jay Dee my dick is bigger than your dick recording company executive egofest.

Ross Wilson said the drums were “a nice diversion from the usual thing”.

Toby Moulton – I Want To Know What Love Is – Foreigner

Toby indicated that this song was suggested to him, and he had been unsure about singing a power ballad. He said he was not comfortable about singing the song at the start of the week. This song like Aha from last week is like fingernails going down a chalkboard (teaching pun not intended) for me. I thought he had pitch problems throughout.

Jay Dee Springbett said “Got that raw sex appeal coming out.”

Ross Wilson said ” He was not sure he had a future in music industry….” However he did encourage him to write some songs that apparently is what he wants to do.

Kim Cooper – You Keep Me Hanging On – Kim Wilde

Kim slagged off the eighties to Ross Wilson, but she did apologise too him. Probably also killed the over 35 vote for her as well. I thought she seemed a bit psyched out tonight probably due to being in the bottom three two weeks in a row. I really started off liking this rendition but her weird pronunciation of the words started to irritate me towards the end.

Dicko said “I thought you did a great job, great energy.” Dicko is a big fan.

Ross Wilson said “I could see the wheels turning in your head, it did not seem natural to me.” She disagreed with him.

Marcia Hines said “Need to learn to cut through,”

Jay Dee said ” You are growing each week,” He basically implied that he would not be interested at signing her at the moment.

Tim Johnston – Heaven – Bryan Adams

“Not quite streetwise yet. You need that if you are going to survive in this business” said Ross Wilson. Also should have told him what a fuckwit he looked like coming in singing a Daddy Cool song. Just when I thought Foreigner was going to be my most unfavourite song tonight Tim sang Heaven.

Ross Wilson “Nerves got to you tonight.” And then basically said he needed to stop being so goddamn straight. I agree Ross, I agree.

Jay Dee Springbett  concurred with Ross and said “You really need to find that next level.”

Dicko however said “Fishing in the right pond these songs,” and “When I close my eyes it still lacks a bit of electricity.”

Kate Cook – The Going  Gets Tough – Billy Ocean

I think Kate looked a bit shocked when Ross told her she bought a feminine touch to the song. I have to agree with him I cannot stand this song either. However I am a fan of Kate’s but she was pitchy a lot through the song. In fact it was a train wreck, something she acknowledged.

Jay Dee said ” You fell off the horse this week.”

Dicko said “That’s an awful song that someone does at the end of their career”

Ross Wilson said “There is something special about you….despite that.”

Stan Walker – Purple Rain – Prince

A brilliant rendition of this song, even gave it a gospel vibe to it and smashed it. This kid is not putting a foot wrong in this competition. Fantastic. The judges gave him a standing ovation. He is definitely standing out from the pack.

Jay Dee said “That’s how you win a competition…. It was a moment, I did not hear it I felt it.”

Dicko said “I think you hard wire your heart to every song you sing. Thank God for Stan Walker.”

Ross Wilson said “You have a natural ability to improvise.”

James Johnston – The Power Of Love – Hughie Lewis and The News

Poor James had to follow Stan so was always going to struggle to look good after that powerhouse performance. Look he is a cutie and he will coast through this competition for awhile.

Ross Wilson said “Song performance good, and I got excited.”

Jay Dee said “The more you loosen up the more I believe it.”

I was pretty much underwhelmed by tonight’s episode, not helped by poor song choice.

Bottom three predictions – Kim Cooper, Tim Johnston, and Scott Newnham.

1 Gillian { 09.27.09 at 11:51 pm }

You have to love Stan Walker. I must admit I rewound the IQ and watched it three times! As much as it was a train wreck tonight, I love Kate as well. She has had so much sadness in her life as has Stan and maybe that’s why they are always the standouts for me. They are able to externalise their past through their singing without being an annoying drama queen like Sabrina who thankfully is now off the show. Love the Jenny Craig plug Dicko!

2 Laura { 09.28.09 at 12:52 am }

Lol I truly had forgotten how awful Lee Harding was!
I though Nathan was fantastic – and that’s about as far into the show I got tonight lol.

3 Sydney { 09.28.09 at 12:58 am }

Stan brought tears to my eyes. I have to say I cannot wait to hear what he will be singing next week. Well done Stan your version of Purple Rain was so much better than the original by Prince. The standing ovation by the judges was as good as a touch down. The saying goes it takes one to know one and those judges especially the singers like Ross know exactly who you were. I will definitely pay to hear you sing. GOD BLESS YOUR LITTLE HEART. YOU KEEP ON ROLLING STRAIGHT NARROW AND WIDE

4 Culinary Boner { 09.28.09 at 11:08 am }

Raver, I think your comments are way too unkind to Young Talent Time. That opening ‘performance’ was woefully pathetic. And would’ve been gonged if on that shite segment on Hey Hey Its Saturday (so looking forward to the return of this pile of TV excrement). At least I got a laugh from the outta tune and toneless singing and crap dancing plus immediate motivation to switch off. Ta Ta Idol. See you again in 15 years time when they cynically reprise the show to cash in on some nostalgia.

5 dmc { 09.28.09 at 12:11 pm }

I am shocked at the standard of performing this year. Except for Stan, nobody steps up. Kate is earnest in a Luke Dickens kind of way, and James and Nathan can sing a little but there are very few standouts. I’m sure the judges know this. Some of the performing has been dreadful and the opening was complete rubbish.

6 Hmann { 09.28.09 at 1:28 pm }

I have had many years experience in the music industry…composing, engineering, playing and teaching….so I know a little bit.
I also have to admit I only watch Idol occasionally…from time to time.
BUT First off…every single judge lost my respect quite while ago when they did not choose Jamila (I think thats her name) to be in the final 12.
It was painfully obvious that she was “BY FAR” the best singer amongst the girls, she is a natural, and she had a good stage presence too.
For example Marcia chose that white wannabe soul singer guy (forgot his name) over Jamila..that was RIDICULOUS!! she should know better…she either has personal issues with her or its something else.
I won’t comment on the other judges choices because most of them have their heads in the sand most of the time.
Anyway that aside I have to say that stan Walkers performance of Purple Rain was perhaps the best performance I have ever seen on that show…(which is mostly a wannabe karioke show).
His phrasing, tone, delivery, emotional content were all unified in one incredible package.
This was a performance that is on the level of the great Sam Cooke, Ben E King and a few others…and thats saying something.
He is not just another singer…but a true artist!! He really does not need Idol…but Idol certainly needs him.

7 TDK { 09.28.09 at 3:41 pm }

I thought Hayley’s drum part was great.
She even chuck them after finishing with them, with attitude, very cool.

How many times did Ross self recognised his contribution to the contestants’ change?
Countless, I couldn’t remember.

My god! Tim was like an idle log, so boring!!

About “You really need to find that next level”- comments. How useless are these comments?!!
It’s like saying, you should sing better. You should perform better.
Well der, they’re trying their best, if their best is not enough say so, don’t beat around the bush with these generic lines!!

Stan should win this. But then again, I know I will be disappointed by the votings.

James, is, well, how you say, “try hard”-, all the time? Yeah.

My god, idol is so boring.

Sydney, don’t know about Stan’s version’s better than the original. But it was very good. It’s not about better or not, it’s about preference and taste I think.

8 megs { 09.28.09 at 4:19 pm }

I just watched this on Foxtel IQ . Stan was AMAZING!!!!!!
The rest? Meh.
It is quite shocking how mediocre the contestants are this year.
Not sure Idol will be back in 2010….

9 Anonymous { 09.28.09 at 4:34 pm }

I fell asleep during this episode. Honestly, I thought Stan was good and stood out on a particularly dull, flat night, but I didn’t think it was great or deserving of the tongue bath or the standing ovation and certainly not an all time great performance. Maybe if he lost the marble mouth and the bung notes I’d like him more, I dunno.

10 Reality Raver { 09.29.09 at 10:36 am }

I think everyone appears to on a consensus on this one, I cannot see the ratings improving this year.

11 Hmann { 09.29.09 at 11:58 am }

“I thought Stan was good and stood out on a particularly dull, flat night, but I didn’t think it was great or deserving of the tongue bath or the standing ovation and certainly not an all time great performance.”

I’d advise you to listen again

12 Hmann { 09.29.09 at 12:06 pm }

Un Quote

I’d advise you to listen again..it was brilliant and perfectly executed with loads of emotional content.
(I listened to it several times)
Ross Wilson knew that it was a total standout, and I do and many others realized that also.
You are entitled to your opinion…but regardless…he totally deserved the standing ovation…and more.
He has more edge than Guy ever did…and equal and more control, plus he has a tone that is the same ball park as Sam Cooke (widely regarded as one of the greatest soul singers ever)
So he definitely deserves to win…without him…Idol is full of wannabe’s …unfortunately.

13 Anonymous { 09.29.09 at 3:31 pm }

Sorry Hmann, I listened again, but I still don’t think he was that brilliant! Good yes, brilliant, perfect, no error whatsoever, let’s thank God for his existence? No.

14 TDK { 09.29.09 at 3:41 pm }

Human make mistakes.

15 Hmann { 09.29.09 at 6:11 pm }

Un Quote

No worries….we all have our own opinion…and we usually stick very hard to them, like I said everyone is entitled to their opinion…and lets face it everyone has an opinion on music, even if they are tone deaf
(I am not saying you are BTW…just expressing the fact)
So I have my opinion too…and I have spent the whole of my life doing music, arranging it, performing and many other areas….so I also stand by mine.
Do I thank god for his existence?…no!!
There has been too many brilliant musicians in this world…Zakkir Hussein, John Barry, Chopin, Bethooven, Viliyat Khan…even Hendrix…so many in all different genres, and most of them are forgotten after a few centuries, so its not even worth debating over in a sense.
I dont really care that much if you like him or not…our opinions are not going to move mountains or anything.
I simply pointed out some things I know to be true, if you don’t see it that way…cool.
We simply have to agree to disagree thats all.
Cheers
HMann

16 Anonymous { 09.29.09 at 6:19 pm }

It’s all good Hmann. To be honest, I’m just not digging Idol at all this year, so my feelings of meh are probably more related to the show than to Stan. It’s nice to see others be passionate about Idol, though. :)

Just wanted to clarify – I didn’t mean that you were thanking god for Stan’s existence, I was referring to the judges comments (it was the judges comments I had issues with – not you), specifically Dicko, who I think said something like “Thank GOD for Stan Walker!”.

17 Hmann { 09.29.09 at 6:53 pm }

Just wanted to clarify – I didn’t mean that you were thanking god for Stan’s existence, I was referring to the judges comments (it was the judges comments I had issues with – not you), specifically Dicko, who I think said something like “Thank GOD for Stan Walker!”-.
Un Quote

Yeah Agreed…No problems at all.
Dicko does say some totally idiotic things…But he probably was experiencing the utter mediocrity of the show as it unfolded when he uttered that comment LOL!!
Generally (to be honest) I hardly ever watch Idol…and this year…what I have seen has been so mediocre its ridiculous.
Most of them are struggling to even do a half decent Karioke performance…BUT its good to see new upcoming talent from time to time….so I do watch it when I have the time…or better still record it and skim thru it…so it’s not too painful.
So I guess if Stan Walker falls on his feet somehow…and doesn’t manage to fall victim to the “Idol” shaping process, he may show his personal artistic potential (but that’s a whole different subject).
And so many of them don’t have that and cant seem to find it…and Idol can’t give that to them either…so many of them just evaporate in the real world…cause all they can do is sing a bit and have no real identity.
You know it’s ridiculous in a way…you know, Marcia goes on and on about “be yourself” in her mindless way….and all the other judge have their cliches like “take it to another level”…and the even more lame “what kind of artist do you want to be” etc… and then they put them thru this whole kindergarten karaoke thing…its nuts, the whole format is ludicrous.
On the one hand they are saying “be yourself” on the other they are saying “well you have to be able to sing “Bee Gees nite” or whatever.
I mean can you imagine Bob Dylan singing “Bee Gees” or Ray Charles singing “Celine Dion” …the whole format really sucks badly actually and they need to get a clue if they don’t want to go down the gurgler..LOL!!
Sorry for the rant
Cheers Mate

18 sydney { 09.30.09 at 12:35 pm }

TDK that was my opinion on the performance of Stan Walker versus Prince. I think the guy was brilliant. Hmann I agree with you whole heartedly with Jamila. I was also very surprised by Marcia’s selection with her music background. Won’t go into detail. I don’t understand how these judges do their selections. Dicko is a big fan of ABBA that says alot about his interest in music not my cup of tea. Love the black music

19 Culinary Boner { 09.30.09 at 1:43 pm }

To all you Idol fans – lap it up while you can. Ratings in the 800,000s for such an expensive-to-produce program mean it’s bye, byes time. James Matheson was obviously wise to jump ship before the show ‘jumped the shark’.

20 KC { 10.05.09 at 2:03 am }

This is such a majorly late comment and everyone’s said this already but my friend was lucky enough to get tickets to the show and I’m not a big fan of Aus Idol but I went along and I have to say that they sound much better live than they do on TV. Which means that people who aren’t that good sound average and people who sound really good sound INCREDIBLE. Obviously I am talking about Stan 😀 EVERYONE in the room gave him a standing ovation lasting for AGES. It was REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY good. It would have definitely got a touchdown if it was back in the days cause it was just jaw-dropping. I think he’s definitely the frontrunner in the comp 😀