Australian Idol – Sabrina Batshon Said New Judges Are Needed

Sabrina_Batshon

The latest Australian Idol contestant to be eliminated, Sabrina Batshon, has said in interviews that she thinks the show needs new judges.

The Extra Source blogger Nathan Young asked Sabrina on the Daily Telegraph blog what she thought of the standard of this year’s series. He also asked her if she thought the ratings slump was because of the low standard of contestants or that woeful new judge Jay Dee.

Her response:
Thank you for the support but I dont wish to make the same mistake viewers did in judging people. The Idols are my best friends and I don’t have any ill feeling towards them. They are all extremely talented and I think Idol has created a bad name for itself. It’s the people that vote and the way the cookie crumbles. I think they need new judges. People are getting really bored and the judges are under alotof pressure to give a good show and when you are just saying things to entertain people, people get bored. Dicko’s gotten away with murder, and Marcia’s very kind. JDee needs alot of time to warm up. But with JDee you need 2 stronger judges, and Marcia and Dicko are not as strong. I think Dicko has said a lot of things, he makes derogatory comments and i don’t know if the fans agree with that, his jokes are not funny. We;ve watched that year after year and it gets boring. I didn’t watch Idol beforehand, and I joined as I had no expectation. Kyle is fascinating to watch, he is funny and real and witty and not there to play games and they need that, its crucial for the show, and in my opinion i don’t know if they’ll bother airing it next year. Right now, they are just drowning. I’m glad it did it though.

Also here in an interview  with Who Magazine where she again comments on the judges.

Were there any judges’ critiques you didn’t agree with?
What I didn’t agree with, I did speak up about. But then I just thought look, there isn’t much more to say once you’ve made your point, there is no point going on and on about it. It’s a TV show and Dicko’s under a lot of pressure with Kyle having left the show and he feels he needs to be funny and that’s fine.

So you disagreed with Dicko most?
Um, yeah, I’d say so. Marcia doesn’t say much. Jay Dee was really nervous. I feel really sorry for him because he’s so nervous.

Some of what she says is probably true, however I am never a fan of biting the hand that feeds you.

1 Ben { 09.29.09 at 10:50 pm }

I read that today. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Did this girls have any profile at all prior to Idol?

2 Laura { 09.29.09 at 11:24 pm }

I totally agree with her. I don’t think it is really biting the hand that fed her, they need her as much as she needed them – she was one of the very few talented contestants this year and the show would have been even more dull without her. She’s right, Kyle is integral to the show. Dicko has tried to take over his role and failed dismally.

3 Laura { 09.29.09 at 11:28 pm }

PS She was asked the questions and answered them honestly, I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. The show has not done her any favours.

4 Anonymous { 09.30.09 at 2:26 am }

Laura – Totally agree with you. She says many positive things as well. Doesn’t seem bitter at all to me. I mean, Sabrina even says that she doesn’t think of herself as Idol-winning material! But I guess some people just want a villain, regardless.

5 Reality Raver { 09.30.09 at 11:29 am }

I should point out it was me who wrote this article not CG, but RR, I am having wordpress dashboard issues, which I will sort out afterCG does her MasterChef guest post tonight… If I touch it now I will really stuff it up.

Reality TV starts speaking honestly are my bread and butter, but it particularly annoys me with Idol contestants when they come of the show and criticise the format. They know what it is all about when they go on there. Maybe she was pitching for a seat on the judging panel for next year. I hope Sabrina can find a career for herself post idol.

6 LM { 10.02.09 at 10:58 am }

Sabrina is an idiot, and didn’t listen to the judges, I couldn’t stand her, she wouldn’t shut up and made me uncomfortable to watch her. I am really glad she has gone, I really thought she was totally up herself for no reason. Plenty of people can open their mouth and sing, she chose crap songs and nobody wanted her there anymore.

7 Sarah { 10.02.09 at 8:30 pm }

If Sabrina thought the show was a joke, why did she even audition. Clearly she is annoyed that the show didn’t revolve around her. Personally I am glad she is off, I was hoping she would get voted off on the first show. She sings out of key, and screams rather than sings. I think she actually thinks she is better than what she really is.

8 Anonymous { 10.03.09 at 12:04 am }

She never said it was joke!

9 alex { 10.05.09 at 6:47 pm }

who cares what she thinks? she didn’t win. and that wasn’t because of the judges, it was because she came off as snobby and the public didn’t like it. i’m glad she went. her attitude sucked.

10 Lynette Mezzino { 10.05.09 at 8:41 pm }

Sabrina makes a lot of sense, although I do think she needed to hush-up sometimes and just let her singing(which most of the time was great) do the talking. I think we need new judges also, or, at least someone like Mark Holden who generated a lot of excitement into the job, with his touchdowns etc. Also,he really knows his stuff and most of the time I agreed with his judgements. Don’t let the show end, just fix it.

11 Lilly { 10.26.09 at 2:10 am }

The funniest part of this is that she says “his jokes are not funny. We;ve watched that year after year and it gets boring.” and the next line she says that she hadn’t watched Idol before, and had no expectations. Such a blatant contradiction.
I agree with those who have said it’s poor form to bite the hand that feeds you.