The Amazing Race Season 15- Episode One – Off To Tokyo

The Amazing Race started off not with the teams flying in on exotic modes of transport but bussed in to a graffiti ridden canal beside the Los Angeles River. In fact they tried to glam it up for the viewer as a movie location, yes I did remember it from Grease and Terminator, but was this a sly way of producers cutting back the budget.

Backing up my budget cut theory was the fact that only eleven of the twelve teams were going to leave the country, a first for the show. The challenge was to find the specific Japanese number plate to hand to Phil to get a ticket on a flight to Tokyo.

Maria and Tiffany who were professional poker players were the first to find it.They also had a strategy of not telling the other teams this is what they did, as they did not want them to  think they made a lot of money and not be sympathetic towards them. So of course instead of picking a neutral profession such as an accountant or call centre manager, they are saying the work for the homeless. Are these girls the Johnny Fairplay of this season’s Amazing Race?

Anyway they had a fractured relationship even before they had left the airport.

The second flight caught up with the other one, so it became a level playing field.

When they got to their first clue it was a Japanese game show. Oh too funny. They had to wait for all the teams to arrive. They had to play sushi roulette. It was a roadblock where they played until they received a wasabi bomb and then they only had two minutes to eat it.

Cheyne actually ate it pretty quick, as did Ron with 20 seconds to spare.

They then had to get 20 people from the audience and lead them to a shinto shrine which was the pitstop for this leg of the rate.

Marcy, Ron’s partner seem a bit kooky “I am in my body and having a really good time” . WTF? She will be interesting to watch. I could not work out why they were not asking for directions, and they lost a lot of time.

Back at the wasabi roadblock Maria did not complete the wasabi roll in the two minutes, and then rolled one again straight away, and then turned to Tiffany and said she could not do another one. But she did and got it done just in time.

Megan and Cheyne were first to arrive and they won a trip to Aspen and Vaile by Velocity of course. With Zev and Justin coming in second who look like they are going to be hilarious. The poker girls were smart to go into a hotel to get a map and directions. Well I thought that at the time, but it did not work out so well for them.

Brian dudded on the wasabi and his wife Ericka looked like she could have killed him, and they were the last team left at the roulette table. However they powered through to the shrine and came in as team number six.

I love the way Maria and Tiffany thought that the two gay brothers were hot, and the boys thought the girls were worthy due to them “working with the homeless”. However karma got them and Maria and Tiffany lost some of their Japanese team, so incurred a two hour penalty as it was a non-elimination leg, but they will have a speedbump in next week’s episode. They will find it difficult to stay in the race.

By the way a big thank you to Channel Seven for televising it so quickly as it only started in the US two weeks ago.

1 Anonymous { 10.09.09 at 10:35 am }

Well, it’s always good to start a new Amazing Race. I still wish C7 would show some of the seasons we’ve missed out on.

I thought they’d already done a start from the ‘Grease canal’ in a previous season? Am I dreaming?

Also, a good twist to eliminate one team straight up. Evens out as they didn’t eliminate at the end of the first episode.

A quick selection made me choose the two gay brothers as my team but I can’t say I’m feeling that confident. Last night’s episode was so fast-paced, it was hard to get a feel for a lot of the teams. I don’t think the poker players are going to last long though.

2 Wurstsemmel { 10.09.09 at 10:42 am }

PS That’s me above..I don’t know why I came up Anonymous.

And, oh, I would have liked to see Phil take on the wasabi bomb…would have put that eyebrow into overdrive.

3 Reality Raver { 10.09.09 at 11:17 am }

Wurstsemmel – I thought of you last night when he had his arm around the Japanese game show host and he did a mega eyebrow raise, which actually suited the moment.

4 Injera { 10.09.09 at 3:45 pm }

Wurstsemmel – I’ve seen the Grease canal (hee!) recently on TV too, and I completely missed TAR last night. Now it’s bugging me – where did we see it?

And… I saw people (including you, RR) tweeting about TAR but couldn’t see it on the schedule. Grrr. Need to hone my TV Guide-reading-skills before next week. Great to be able to catch up on a missed ep here, but I wish free to air did the cable thing and repeated shows during the week!

5 Wurstsemmel { 10.09.09 at 5:46 pm }

That eyebrow needs it own show, RR. Goodness knows it more entertaining than a lot of the drivel currently on…and, yes, C9, I’m thinking of Hey, Hey, even before the blackface debacle.

You know, Injera, I’m sure Phil got down and dirty in the Grease canal previously. It must have been an earlier series. This is going to drive me mad…….

6 Reality Raver { 10.09.09 at 6:53 pm }

Anon – I agree it was an interesting twist to having someone eliminated straight away. I was kind of glad it was the yoga pair as they looked extremely annoying, but then they may have made some great viewing.

Wurstsemmel, Injera, and Anon there has to be a The Amazing Race fanatic who would know. I will try and google it.

7 Wurstsemmel { 10.09.09 at 8:18 pm }

I’ve tried, RR, and I now believe that Injera and I may have been sharing a little Stephen Fry moment.

Howver, there has been some repetition in TAR …that teeth fitting exercise in the last season was very similar to a task in an earlier season

8 Injera { 10.09.09 at 8:30 pm }

Stephen Fry, huh, Wurstsemmel? I’m trying to picture it and am failing, but it’s the end of the week and I did watch the whole “in America” on the ABC, so I’ll go with that!

9 sourkraut { 10.10.09 at 12:17 pm }

Would have loved to see the contestants treat”eyebow”‘ as a speed hump at the start of the race!
What no team of blonde women for me to “root” for?
Plenty of potential clutterf&#ks. I can already feel the annoyance starting to well within me at Lance the body building lawyer (for F$%K sake another B*&#Y one!), VERY agressive personality and I look forward to his comeuppance.
Wasabi challenge was pretty awful. I love vindaloos but wasabi makes them taste like lemonade. Trouble again is too much luck involved with the roulette wheel.
Poker players….. who was it recently whinging and whining about cheats? …….For them to say they worked with homeless kids is a pretty piss poor attempt to get other competitors sympathy. (shades of J Fairplay, but at least he kept it in the family)
RR did you notice the size of some of the back packs. Wouldn’t you love to be seated on a plane and one of these clowns come on and shoves, crunches, mangles your hand luggage in the O/H locker as they squeeze their own shit in on top of it??????????????
Loved the game show, but too much luck involved. Speaking of which the competitors were lucky it wasn’t the excellent Brit show “balls of steel”
Erica (another cr&pstackin beauty show contestant/winner?) what a loud mouth. I could learn to detest her, but felt sorry for her hen-pecked (on evidence so far in the show) husband.
Liked the globe trotters. They seem to have a sense of fun.
Also lol-ed when the “guide” who took Brian & erica direct to the shrine got NO THANKS from B & E! Typical.
O yes and the game show host….”are you ready to pRay? was that sentence a set-up or wot?
Well I’m stuck for another season and you’re stuck with my crap. Bad Luck!
PS dunno who to barrack for yet. probably the globetrotters.

10 Jacqui { 10.10.09 at 7:52 pm }

Finally watched the episode. I have actually been to this place in Japan, so exciting to see somewhere i have been! The game show is exactly like they are in japan too! Is it just me or does Marcy remind anyone else of Tina Fay/Fey?

11 Kyvyny { 10.11.09 at 12:22 am }

Tiffany definitely looks like Meredith MacNeill from Man Stroke Woman.