MasterChef Australia – Tibits

Justine_294x270

Justine Says The Spatchcock Dish Was Not As Difficult As The Zumbo Chocolate Cake.

On  a live blog on Daily Telegraph MasterChef Australia’s popular contestant Justine Schofield when asked thought the Zumbo chocolate cake (remember that extraordinary creation) was more difficult then the Brent Savage spatchcock recipe. There was a big deal made of the fact that the spatchcock was the most difficult dish on the show ever.

This is what she said when asked which she thought was more difficult:

Personally I think Adriano’s chocolate cake that we did was so much harder! Last nights dish was challenging, but that cake was a killer!

I also asked her about the clip where Brett was showing the celebrities how to debone the spatchcock here is the Q & A:

Hi Justine,

Last night prior to the contestants commencing the spatchcock challenge there was footage of Brent Savage showing them how to bone and skin the spatchcock. In the pressure tests or other challenges when you were on the show did the chef’s sometimes show you some technical techniques prior to commencing the dish?

By the way glad to hear you and Lucas’s degustation menu at Nino’s went well. Are there plans to take it to other cities?

hi Reality raver,

Whenever there was a pressure test we were never shown how to do elements of the dish. We were however given tips by the Chef and we were allowed to ask a couple of questions before we commenced.

Nino’s Chef’s Table on Tuesday was a big success. At the moment we are just doing the dinner once a month in Sydney…. but you never know maybe we will take it nationally!!

Our next Chef’s table will be at Nino’s on Melbourne Cup day which we are really excited about!

One of Australia’s leading foodbloggers Grab Your Fork has a great interview she had with Poh Ling Yeow about what influences her with food, and what she has been up to.

She has signed with the ABC to do a cooking series, as well as a two book deal, as well as trying to get ready for a art exhibition. I am just exhausted reading it. An Adelaide reader emailed me and I am not sure if this is true, but they said that Poh had been asked to apply to be on MasterChef Australia. Which may explain why she was given a second chance the audition.

Also the contestants may be able to find international fame, as MasterChef UK will be screening in the UK from January.

1 bb { 10.11.09 at 1:06 am }

Masterchef Series 1 hosts a Chefs Table dinner at Nino’s Hideaway at Bondi Juction. ( L to R ) Justine Schofield and Lucas Parsons Picture: Richard Dobson

2 Reality Raver { 10.11.09 at 11:11 am }

BB – You are the best when it comes to finding infomation.

3 Injera { 10.11.09 at 12:00 pm }

It wouldn’t necessarily surprise me if Poh was asked to apply, but it’s not as though they were short of enthusiastic applicants and in need of bulking up the wannabes. If it were season five or six and the talent pool was diminished, I’d get it, but for season one? When there were – as they kept touting – thousands of hopefuls?

4 sourkraut { 10.11.09 at 12:23 pm }

Wasn’t the zumbo/dumbo chocolate cake the one Chris B triumphed in and then got no reward for winning?

5 CG { 10.11.09 at 11:45 pm }

If Poh was “recruited” for MC1 I dislike her even more than I did. And it kinda ruins things doesn’t it when you know that one (are there others ?) were put up for the show by the producers whereas the majority were there on their own and their own expense. The fact Poh was given two chances in the audition and then came back after being eliminated and then to end up as first runner up really sucks if it is true she was recruited. If this confimred, Ch10 and Fremantle look bad but then they got screwed in the end with Poh signing with ABC and taking all of her ad and book revenue with her. We are all so manipulated by this “reality tv” genre aren’t we? Whether it be recruiting of “fake” contestants, uneven application of the rules to favour some and create artificial drama, and all the advert and marketing crap – blatant and subliminal? So why do we continue to watch and give them our time and energy???

6 Anonymous { 10.12.09 at 2:54 am }

Does recruiting happen quite a bit with reality tv shows? I know there have been rumours about it happening with SYTYCD (in the US, not so sure about Aus) and Idol.

I don’t really care about it if Poh was recruited. There were far worse contestants and things wrong with MasterChef, in my opinion! Then again, I never quite saw Poh as the devil incarnate that others did, lol.

7 sourkraut { 10.12.09 at 3:42 pm }

CG
Agree about reality tv genre being generally rigged or in the least manipulated. As to why we watch, …its a distraction from life’s other little irritations. probably goes back to the days of the Romans when the politicians of the day (dictators) said something along the lines of “give the masses circuses to keep them occupied.” probably similar to the Gummints of today’s encouragement of OZ spectator sport. If like me you are obsessed with Saints winning in Melbourne and Sydney (to dream the impossible dream etc) then one does not have time or passion enough left to question all the crook things going on in society.
That’s why!
PS I still think Poh was as bad as Chris only in different ways as she was far more subtle.

8 CG { 10.12.09 at 7:34 pm }

Sour, I’m not in to an Aussie sports footy teams as my husband doesn’t have the patience to help me understand rugby because I keep trying to compare every rule, move, etc. to US grid iron (and cricket to baseball). Anyhoo, I agree with you 100% that Poh is/was at least as bad if not worse than Chris because she was so subtle and because she apparently was being protected by the production company and therefore the judges.

9 Reality Raver { 10.13.09 at 12:31 am }

CG – yes we watch reality TV shows because they are fun.

Anon – recruiting does occur in reality TV shows, for Beauty and the Geek they rang up universities. Also I think season 1 winner SYTYCD was kind of recruited at a shopping mall, but don’t quote me on that one. Also the new Channel 7 cooking show that is being produced I think a food blogger on twitter was approached to be a contestant. They declined.

I don’t have a problem per se, as I want the most entertaining show possible, but it does irritate me that it is hidden.

Sourkraut – what do you mean about Poh being more subtle?

10 sourkraut { 10.13.09 at 2:12 pm }

R R
It may take a bit of thawt to answer that…………….Watch this space as they say in home cooking ads!