Celebrity MasterChef – George Do You Really Think Eamon Has To Cook To Pull The Girls?

“A man who can cook can attract the ladies,” George Calombaris said to elite swimmer Eamon Sullivan. Eamon quickly fired back ” Is that the case for you?”. George seriously if Eamon served up a undercooked lambs fry he would probably get the girl. He has his own secret weapon and it is called a six pack.

Eamon was cooking Lamb Rump with Gnocchi and Rosemary Jus as his signature dish.

Former Queensland Peter Beattie used to swim with sharks to garner positive publicity, Anna Bligh is appearing on MasterChef. And gosh she showed us she has a type A personality by cooking three dishes – Moreton Bay Bug Salad with Thai Dressing,  Queensland Rib eye, and Strawberry and Vanilla Pannacotta.

Anna aim was to showcase Queensland produce, which I could see in the first two courses, however I am not sure cream is a particularly specific to the Sunshine State.  I was expecting flambe pineapple with plenty of bundy rum on it.

I knew actor Simon Westaway was never going to be any competition to the other two, once I saw he was cooking chicken breasts with boccocini, served with spinach gunk, and a salad. Oh and to top off his dish he drizzled kecap manis. It the equivalent of Andre’s strawberry risotto dessert.

So Simon couldn’t cook, but at least Anna and Eamon were impressive. Eamon had the more difficult dish, whereas Anna had multiple dishes but with not a high degree of difficulty.

Eamonn’s gnocchi did not float but other than that he had no other disasters.

Anna was rushed so that must have been the reason she sipped the juice from a spoon and then stuck it back in to the saucepan. Or maybe the health regulations in Queensland are not as strict?

Simon’s chicken  was undercooked, and got slammed by the judges. George did give him a compliment about his own made up recipe  of spinach with bacon and cream cheese.

Matt Preston summed it up nicely when he said “The problem with this dish is there are to many things bolted together. It looks like Frankenstein.”

Eamon’s Gnocchi was given “Not perfect a little bit bouncy, but the lamb was well cooked,” by Gary.

Anna Bligh’s beef was over cooked, but her other two dishes were rated highly.

“Bugs just cooked just perfect I would eat it all,” said Gary Mehigan.

“Absolutely deadset cracking,” Matt said about the pannacotta.

Eamon Sullivan won round one, which meant he got to pick which dishes of Kylie Kwong the contestants would have to cook.

The choice  was between crispy skin duck with orange sauce with Vegetable Sung Choi Bao or deep fried whole snapper with cantonese fried rice. Anna perked up considerably when she saw the snapper, but Eamon picked the duck.

So if the swimming budget is cut next year in Queensland, they can blame it on Eamon.

At this stage I was wondering how Simon Westawaygot on the show, as he kept on burning his spices. I thought you only got one lifeline, but George had to help in out in the first five minutes. He also burnt the garlic, and his duck was undercooked. In two words – fucking disaster.

At the other end of the spectrum Eamon looked really smooth in the kitchen, also Anna is a very confident cook. She also had the added pressure of not being seen to lose her cool or swear on camera. She came across as competent, confident and barely broke into a sweat under pressure.

No surprise that Simon’s dish did not get much praise, Anna’s duck was too crisp, however all her other elements were given compliments, and Matt Preston pedantically criticised the cut of Eamon’s lettuce leaves.

Unsurprisingly Eamon won, but I have to confess I was hoping Anna Bligh would take it out.

1 seepi { 10.14.09 at 10:43 pm }

Worst line of the night went to Eamon after tasting the duck ‘there’s a party in my mouth and everyone’s invited’ – what the?

and I thought it was wierd that George tasted the steak, then the entree bug salad, then dessert in Anna’s dishes.

Anna looked cool as a cucumber the whole time – she would’ve been a good winner, but I think eamonn got it fair and square.

2 Reality Raver { 10.14.09 at 10:51 pm }

Seepi – Missed that line, but that seem positively NRLesque, and I thought the swimming boys were different.

3 Reality Raver { 10.14.09 at 10:58 pm }

I should add if Mark Bouris does pulls up stumps for season 2 of The Apprentice, Anna Bligh could most capably take over his role.

4 saffronlie { 10.14.09 at 11:02 pm }

I’m a Queenslander, so I wanted Anna to win too. I thought she did very well. Eamon Sullivan won over me and my friends with his lopsided smile; his ability to cook is just a bonus!

5 CG { 10.14.09 at 11:41 pm }

What a surprise Eamon could cook. Stephanie Rice was a fool for throwing him aside for Michael Phelps…ha! I too noticed Ms. Bligh lick her spoon and stick it back in the pot…you’d think they’d edit that stuff out. And didn’t we all know Eamon was gonna win when all they could find to criticise was his lettuce cups! This show is fun for a one night a week “filler”…but it really is just a filler, isn’t it? Keeping the MC juices simmering (and ad revenue streaming) but not trying too hard…with it all leading up to one big special before Xmas…and then the the “regular folk” MC season 2 starting in the new year…. Still waiting for the heavy-handed marketing of books by Julie and ??? I bet Poh is a no show given her defection to ABC. And man, Justine sure is a stunned mullet in those Harvie ads…they should can those ads, so painful to watch. Still haven’t seen Matt’s Handiwipes advert here in QLD (Sunshine Coast)… looking forward to Alex Perry next week, will be fun to see how he gets on with Georgie and if Matt plays along or slaps him down.

6 Laura { 10.15.09 at 12:17 am }

I love Eamon Sullivan!
Anna Bligh was also very good :)

7 lydal { 10.15.09 at 8:25 am }

I really felt sorry for Simon! nothing to do towards Eamon and Anna. You could see both are players used to work under pressure, though Anna smiles were a bit annoying at one point.
I thought chef dishes weren’t so difficult in technique as other episodes but looked very yummy.

8 Wurstsemmel { 10.15.09 at 8:39 am }

I have to say Simon seemed a bit miffed at some of his criticisms – for a moment there, I had flashbacks to Underbelly and wondered if Matt, George and Gary were going to end up sleeping with Kylie Kwong’s fish.

Simon really put a lot of effort in but he was up against two really good competitors.

Eamon was the outright winner but, as commented earlier, the ‘party in my mouth’ comment was a real turn off.

I’m not loving Celebrity Masterchef but, as someone else commented, it keeps the interest ticking over until Season 2.

9 Culinary Boner { 10.15.09 at 9:58 am }

This was clearly the best of the three episodes so far, but still pretty boring in parts.

None of these celebs really had anything at stake. And ’cause it didn’t really matter whether they won or lost, just that they got their beaks on camera and didn’t come across as dickheads, there was no real tension.

Hopefully Ten’s execs don’t delude themselves with this concept and try to roll out another celeb MC series until they have gone through at least two more cycles of the orginal recipe format.

I agree with Wurstsemmel that Simon clearly does not like to be criticised. I half expected him to call Matt a fat c–t, the way he looked. Hopefully he isn’t like this with his film directors.

10 TDK { 10.15.09 at 11:40 am }

I”ve seen Matt’s Handiwipes ads (in Melbourne), my god.
We don’t need that.
So cheap!!

11 Chuck { 10.15.09 at 12:01 pm }

Sullivan the first surprisingly excellent cook there’s been IMO – could easily hold his own against a few of the original MC contestants

12 Katie { 10.15.09 at 1:04 pm }

I’d like to duck Eamon

13 Reality Raver { 10.15.09 at 2:31 pm }

I think the consensus is Eamon deserved to win, and also came across as a nice guy. George in his column in TV Week this week said he thought Eamon was harder to get to know. George said ” The only thing that frustrated me was that he was so media trained. It was hard to extract a lot of banter out of him sincee he’s been so programmed to deliver certain responses. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great guy – I’d just have liked to have got to know the real Eamon a bit better.”

The editing must be good, as I thought Eamon came across quite well.

CG, Wurstsemmel, and Culinary Boner – agree it is definitely only a once a week show. Enjoyable but forgetable.

CG , TDK I saw the Justine ad this week – she may as well make as much money as she can from the MasterChef franchise. I know that that the company gets a percentage of her earnings post masterChef, but I wonder if that applies to the talent as well like Matt Preston who must have increased his earning capacity since the show aired?

Katie – LOL – I refuse to perve on guys under the age of 23.

Saffronlie – I thought Anna Bligh acquitted herself very well. It will be interesting to see next poll results for her.

Chuck, Lydal, and Laura – I reckon Eamon could take out the title of the show agree very impressive.