The Apprentice – The Marriott Hotel – I Wonder If The Guests Had To Pay?

Tonight I could not work out if they were really manipulating Sabrina’s editing as she came across  badly in fact out of all of her little stuff ups on this episode I thought her insincerity was the greatest sin. I don’t think a service industry career is for her.

Tonight’s challenge was to run a floor at the Marriott Hotel. The teams had to prep the rooms, welcome the guests, and look after everyone of their needs. Well not everyone…..

John was the project manager for Pinnacle, and Sam  the project manager for team Eventus. They were picked as they had not had this role before.

The team that has the happiest guests wins as judged by a survey. Tonight Mark Bouris was looking increasingly confident in front of the camera.

The teams  were not thrown into the deep end they did get a 45 minute tutorial on how to run a five star establishment. I loved the way they were told the rooms should take 33 minutes to clean, sure if you were a cleaning professional. So theoretically if four of them were working on a room together it should take less than 10 minutes. I don’t think so.

Mary-Anne who I thought rocked this challenge was having to step up as John was floundering. However I did think their strategy of splitting up the cleaning roles a good one. For example John did kitchen and bathrooms, whilst Morello and Mary Ann did the bedrooms. However Mary-Ann not checking on John’s cleaning was going to be her boardroom archilles heel.

Pinnacle were slow with the rooms, but Team Eventus were even slower.

Sam start as leader had a few hiccups.  But Carmen was not making any friends with either her team mates or the guests as none of the rooms were ready. There was also some set up scenarios with a “record executive” and him needing to be on a conference call in a certain time.

But where were Pinnacles guests? It was going much more smoothly with Sabrina and Morello who were doing much better with the customer service. However Sabrina should work on her geography as when two girls told her they were from Orange, she responded “How are you finding Australia?” Huh? A lot of the time on the desk she came across as insincere.

Meanwhile John’s bathrooms were below par and Mary-Ann was again working to cover his mistakes.

Sabrina was having problems as concierge as it was taking her ages to get a list of restaurants together for a couple celebrating their anniversary. They were starting to get irritated. It was obvious these guests were set ups. I presume all have been picked and briefed to be as difficult as possible.

John is just a complete moron, why would he think it was ok to go have a cigarette at a busy time, and also at the front of the hotel. That is a firing offence.  John does not appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed, and lacks charisma.  Mary-Ann and Morello  should get at A+ for work ethic. I think Mary-Ann could have marked herself as a front runner in the competition.

Though Team Pinnacle had the party room, with Gavin dealing with the drunken boofheads quite well. Though I was hoping one of the drunks would puke in the lift just to see how they would handle it.

Sabrina came across as a bit fake with the guests particularly the disgruntled couple. She did not get that they were completely peeved, and then trying to sell them the Marriott card was just plain bizarre. Also because she thought they were high maintenance it showed she did not think any of their complaints were valid.

In the board room Heather praised Sam, but he told Mark Bouris that she was a weak link because the rooms were not ready, this was a bit rough.  I thought the General-Manager of the hotel lied to Bouris when she said that gambling with the guests would be a sackable offence. Sam only was playing along with the guest, when he flipped a phone to take the tip from $20 to $100, it was not like he was sitting down to fleece him in  poker.

John put the boot into Sabrina in the boardroom, but she and Mary-Ann were far too kind to John about his project manager skills.

Team Eventus won by three points and their reward was to go to a wine bar and be treated to some wines.

Mary-Ann got a pasting for John’s poor cleaning because she did not look over his bathrooms. I thought this was a tad unfair as she would have presumed he could clean a toilet.  Sabrina was criticised for her room service stuff ups. She said to Mark that she had no experience in “crisis management”. Christ if she thought fucking up room service dockets was a crisis, I would hate to see her how she would react if there was a product recall in a company she may be employed in.

I like the way Sabrina thought she was managing the project. I am not sure what she did outside her own area?  Her attitude to the customers got her a bollocking from Bouris. However she was far more articulate than John when it came to fighting for her life, and that was what got John fired. It was no surprise.

I liked how he said in the cab after his elimination that he thought he had skills he did not know he had. Well I had not seen any sign of it in the series.

1 Jen (jenius.com.au) { 10.26.09 at 11:44 pm }

I was hoping for a surprise double firing tonight. John and Sabrina. Hmm…

I was also disappointed Mary-Ann didn’t point out to Bouris in the boardroom that it was John’s lack of attention to detail which resulted in the guests’ fury. He has lacked enthusiasm, passion and fighting power throughout the show anyway… or that’s what the extensive editing has portrayed :-\

2 CG { 10.27.09 at 12:01 am }

Another good show! Agree Bouris is gaining in confidence every week. But what I really liked about tonight’s episode is that it was so “Australian” and not just a copy-cat of the US show. As a Canadian who spent 15+ years going to school and working in the US, I can tell you that things are said and done in a way that you would never see on US television. I think its great. For example, can you imagine the old guy that plays Trump’s offisder on the US show saying “urine”…ha! And Bouris’ reasons for liking / disliking someone’s performance are uniquely Australian: ie you don’t dob a mate, his reaction to Sam’s “gambling” – “do you think I’m a fool”. And I doubt the US show would ever feature the drunk party guests on the show. Too funny.

Some other random observations:

– Sabrina is getting on my nerves big time. I thought John was a goner after he was caught smoking out the front of the hotel but had a glimmer of hope at the end and thought Sabrina might get the axe.

– Sabrina saved herself with such a typically Beauty Pageant answer…barf!

– did y’all notice MaryAnn threw Sabrina under the bus, recommending Sabrina be fired rather than John; clearly MA knows Sabrina is competition because of her “charm” and John would do himself in eventually

– I thought I must have mis-heard when the guests said they were from “Orange” and Sabrina responded “how are you enjoying Australia” – what an idiot, did she think they were Dutch?! (even I know where Orange is and I’ve only been in Oz for a few years)

– the young couple with all the demands really pissed me off; yes it was probably a set up but I have witnessed people behaving just they way they did; when they asked for the kebab, they prefaced it by saying it may be a strange request: I thought Morello was going to be asked to go and buy some condoms!

– was Bouris’ pronunciation of sommelier a little off? don’t get me wrong, I think it is refreshing that he is not a slick, old school business guy like Trump or Sir Alan Sugar – although both Trump and Sugar are also self-made

– wonder why they don’t show much of the teams in the house or the winning team enjoying their award for winning the challenge like they do on the US and to some extend on the UK show; sure it is filler but it can provide insight on the contestants and their relationships

– did you notice at the end they did a little plug for the website; it seems to have been upgraded (I haven’t checked it out in the last two weeks or so); maybe they are reading RR and got the message they needed to lift their game?

But these are just minor quibbles. The show has really hit its stride and I’m looking forward to the rest of the series!

3 Wurstsemmel { 10.27.09 at 1:28 am }

Another good nights viewing. I was also wondering if a double firing was looming. Sadly not. Can’t see how John could not be fired – he’s so underwhelming and lacking in any kind of motivation I wonder how he even got on this show – but Id have loved to see the back of Serena. So many reasons, so little time to type them all. Smug, insincere, no depth. Loved the way she claimed project management when she coulnt even manage her assigned role. However, I didn’t hear her mention the Miss World title once – must have killed her to keep a lid on that. For a Mensa member, it was an amazing gaffe to think Orange was overseas.
Morello did a good job but is a bit like an over eager puppy at times. Like CG I thought he was going to be sent on a condom errand. Big Mac was close but no cigar. Mary Anne? was a standout. Too bad she didn’t check Johns handiwork – logically she shouldn’t need to but given his general lack of interest…..

Young Sam? Fared well also but if he savaged anyone, it should have been Bronwyn who stuffed guest checkin badly.

Have to say the whole set up and drama with guests was so obviously contivwd, it spoilt it somewhat but I’m loving the change in Mark Bouris.

4 Miss Apprentice { 10.27.09 at 2:27 am }

Well this was Johns opportunity to shine and “do his children proud” and what did we get for our money – absolutely nothing !

He seemed to just be absentmindedly floating around or not be around at all, just walked out the front door for a smoke !!

I couldn’t believe my eyes, here’s Maryanne trying to keep it all together on his behalf and he just walks out the door.

It’s also hard to believe, guests at the Marriott would order junk food from outside. I’m sure in house room service gets you a hamburger for about $ 25.00 on the all night menu (!) and don’t they have Barocca in the mini bar anymore these days ?

I thought Maryanne was the shining star in this particular episode, covering for John here, there and everywhere and John being as hopeless as he is didn’t even clean the pee off the toilet, yet Maryanne being in charge of housekeeping had to take the blame for that as well while she was at it !

Sam was a little trooper as usual , but why was he running through the hotel all the time, I’ve never seen staff run through a hotel EVER !!

I mistakenly thought Sabrina would be good in a role as receptionist, but she was painful and everything is always all about her, yet amazingly didn’t introduce herself as Miss World Australia 2006 to all the guests – What a relief !!

I found it amazing Carmen was allowed to keep her over the top knuckle duster- diamond cluster rings on her fingers in her role as receptionist. That looked totally out of place.

She has no management skills, but is a hard worker, when hard work is called for, so there I’ve said something nice about her – LOL !

5 Miss Apprentice { 10.27.09 at 3:03 am }

Re the guest check in – why didn’t they just give the already prepared rooms to guests arriving on a first in best dressed basis as each team had at least a few rooms ready for guests and why did guests have to wait hours for a room ?

Even if it took the team twice as long to prepare a room, that still wouldn’t be hours and hours ??

Also, I really don’t like the hugging of hotel guests (!!), make personal comments to them, goo-goo with their babies or pretend to be their “friend”, other than what’s required on a professional level, unless you stay in a small guest house or B & B, but hugging guests in the Marriott or Sheraton is just bizarre !!

6 Missy { 10.27.09 at 7:46 am }

Loved last night’s episode – will be interesting to see what the ratings are!!

I agree John should have gone but surely Sabrina is next. OH please let her be next! I too thought the comment to the guests from Orange was odd to say the least!! NFI!!!

I must say, despite his puppy dog demeanour, Morello is growing on me, as is Mary Anne. They are both hard working and likeable.

Mark Bouris is getting better and better but then again I have previously stated he is the hottest thing on TV at the moment so perhaps I am biased…sigh… the best thing about him is, as previous posters have noted, that he is not as polished as Trump / Sir Allan but he sure makes up for it in the sexy stakes!!

7 reality raver { 10.27.09 at 9:34 am }

I think Sabrina stayed because a) John was so hopeless, and b) she has been giving us quality reality TV for weeks on end. Considering she was from Sydney makes her Orange gaffe even worst.

CG – I have learnt something from last night’s episode that when I am in the shite with my boss to call him a God. If the website has been upgraded (i will have to check it out) it would be all down to you.

Wurstsemmel – the only bad thing about the episode was the fact it was so obvious John was going to be fired.

Jenius – Agree if I was Mary-Ann I would have said considering John was project manager that he would have cleaned to a good standard.

Miss Apprentice – Agree re: the hugging showed that the guests were all set up.

Missy – Agree with you about Mark Bouris hottest man on TV this year. Sorry Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan, and George Calombaris.

8 Surfer { 10.27.09 at 12:18 pm }

anyone notice that when you do a google search for the apprentice and it’s variations there’s a side advert for morellotheapprentice which links to you know who! Is this a red-herring on the final outcome ie morello wins and thus a decoy, or is he telling us he’s been fired in an upcoming episode?? interestingly type one of the variants on news.com.au and his site comes up in one of the search results. either way clever to be optimising his new fame…

9 par { 10.27.09 at 12:45 pm }

Sabrina’s Orange gaffe and her attempt to sell the Loyalty card to the disgruntled customers just goes to prove she has no listening skills, just prepared responses fitting her role as “MISS WORLD AUSTRALIA 2006”. Empty vessel, that one.

I found this episode the worst so far; all the pre-arranged drama from the guests was annoying, John was obviously getting fired from the get go, and the scoring seemed suspect as different people were rating the teams (thereby no real comparison).

Mr Bouris’s need to find a flaw to pounce on in the boardroom verges on desperate (and that butch woman from the Marriott scared me).

The only redeeming thing in the episode was in the first thirty seconds: Gavin answering the phone wearing just a towel. Mmmm.

10 lydal { 10.27.09 at 2:21 pm }

First, I have to say that I haven’t watched any episode of this show before but reading comments here made me give it a go. Said this… LOL Par comment about Gavin. Agree, that was pure gold :) I was hoping for a double elimination so I just waiting ( yes… I will repeat it) now for Sabrina to be fired. For somebody who has been developing her career working with people, her receptionist skills were really poor.
It looks like next week there will be a lot of fightings.

11 sourkraut { 10.27.09 at 10:18 pm }

At Last the Fawlty towers episode. Standard apprentice job application form no 2. So as the pre ep blurb tells us this was 12 of Oz’s brightest minds. Yep.. says it all really!
Anyway I’m now convinced this is no longer “reality” TV. Why you ask gentle reader. Well like Maryanne (who i hope wins in the end but wont)said she could not believe the state of the rooms that they had to clean up. This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel with classy guests, and I find it hard to believe that such grots would be able to afford to inhabit such a place. Likewise the setup with the boofhead drunks that MISTER LAWYER had to deal with. Also the funnymoon couple. I reckon they were put up to it or paid to be pains in the bum. I was waiting for Basil Fawlty to come in and turn someones hearing aid up.
now for the oz brightest. 2 hours to find a restaurant in Sydney. You’re kidding. Nuff said
Couldn’t clean a bathroom properly. You jest. (and fluff the rooms curtains instead or look for trays in the corridor)
and sam you cannot give %110 by definition. Oh yes and Bouris certainly needed the $100. r u nuts????????????
i WISH ONE OF THE CONTESTANTS WOULD STOP GOING BUG EYED. iTS MOST DISCONCERTING. (b@#$Y caps lock)
So why wasn’t sam fired when the hotel manageress said he would be in real life. (reality tv …humbug!)
Anyhoo at least we were not told how I’m mister universe in this ep!
Just too much to bitch about. Cant be bothered.
I want to see some real ding dongs in the board rooms. what a pathetic bunch of wusses.
Oh I have so much to give. Oh I want to learn more from you W A P!
Only person who did not screw up was Maryanne, but she did not seem to be quick witted enuff to tell boris that Jon was supposed to look after the Johns.
Pity, can’t work out who was Manuel and who was Sybil. The Psychiatrist ep where the quote “enough material for a whole convention” came to mind.
Good thing the zyxal girl rescued me from my torpor.

12 sourkraut { 10.27.09 at 10:23 pm }

Reality raver
I have a pair of cut down coke bottles with wires that fit round your ears and across your nose that you can borrow. i think you may need them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 Reality Raver { 10.27.09 at 11:28 pm }

Sourkraut – you have just given me an idea for a poll. Who is hotter Matt Preston or Mark Bouris. Surely I cannot be alone in thinking Mark is.

14 Wurstsemmel { 10.28.09 at 12:03 pm }

Well, there’s just something about Matt, RR….

15 sourkraut { 10.28.09 at 1:04 pm }

R R
Where would you like the coke bottles sent? (in both cases)

16 sourkraut { 10.28.09 at 1:06 pm }

R R
PS for grumpy old Bs like me pleases add a “who cares” category

17 Reality Raver { 10.28.09 at 1:24 pm }

Par – Yes the loyalty card scenario was cringeworthy.

Sourkraut – pot calling kettle black. You thought the fake plastic blonds in The Amazing Race were hot.

18 sourkraut { 10.28.09 at 8:56 pm }

I refuse to believe they were fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prove it.
Are you trying to remove my innocent naive streak? You’ll ruin my faith in humankind.
Anyhoo one of the two males droolingly mentioned above reminds me of Terry Thomas. (fantastic actor by the way!)
SO … Just for all you mooning wimmen out there I have this yellowish labrador dog, very gentle, with straps attached that you may like to use.
PS they ARE/WERE HOT HOT HOT Oh where’s my kleenex? PS please dont tell mrs Kraut

19 Neil { 10.29.09 at 8:24 am }

I think Maryanne is the one person who “gets” Mark Bouris. She knows he values honesty and accountability and acts accordingly, especially in the boardroom. She is my pick for the winner.

20 Miss Apprentice { 10.31.09 at 10:48 am }

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOL, Yes who cares if he is a good contestant or an astute business man.

We are into eye candy !

21 Laura { 11.01.09 at 7:44 pm }

I don’t think that Sabrina is stupid enough not to know that Orange is in Australia. I think that it was just a slip of the tongue because she was nervous. I know that I have said dumb things in the heat of the moment, especially when I am serving customers.

I think the guests had a complimentary stay at the Marriot. I don’t think they would make them pay for one night of amateur service, cameras everywhere (including in their room) and producers asking them questions, it’s not exactly a holiday. Which would explain why they were all ordering room service multiple times and making so many stupid requests.

The top two should be Sam and MaryAnne. They are clearly the most competent, intelligent and quick-thinking. I hope that Sam wins.

22 Anon { 11.01.09 at 10:18 pm }

Iwouldn’t charaterise Sabrina as stupid either but I can believe her to be that ignorant of NSW geography. Most Sydneysiders I have dealt with have no concept of anything north of Hornsby or west of Penrith….

23 Sheila Black { 11.04.09 at 11:21 pm }

RR – I would like to point out that it is not by coincidence that Heather backed Sam’s efforts as PM. It was mentioned by Brad (Bouris’ sidekick) that the house keeping was not up to scratch. Feeling the pressure that Pinnacle could lose the task to this factor, Heather was quick to give her favourable opinion of Sam. I think Sam saw right through this and good on him for not being afraid to speak the truth about the weakest link.

24 Sheila Black { 11.04.09 at 11:25 pm }

Now to more pressing issues, Matt Preston over Bouris any day. His chin(s) and a burning desire to cover my head in aromatic oil and rub it against that buddha-like tummy.