Who Sang Mad World Better? Nathan Brake or Adam Lambert?

Interesting that Australian Idol contestant Nathan Brake picked to sing a cover version of Tears For Fears, Mad World. This year’s American Idol runner-up chose to do this song as well, and used to stamp his authority and favourtism on the competition. Who do you think sung it better? I  think Nathan did a fine rendition, but Adam Lambert’s just has star quality writtren all over it.

1 Anthony { 10.26.09 at 2:37 pm }

I think Nathan did a good performance, Adam put a lot more into it so overall was probably better. Nathan is too contained.

2 Shauna { 10.26.09 at 3:25 pm }

Other than Tears For Fears, the only person that should sing ‘Mad World’ is Gary Jules a la Donnie Darko. All other versions pale in comparison especially Nathan’s who’s lacking far too much masculinity in his voice for the songs he chooses.

Didn’t really appreciate his butchering of my favourite Phantom of the Opera track either.

3 Anonymous { 10.26.09 at 4:02 pm }

I think it is quite clear that in his desperate attempt at fame, Nathan ripped off Adam’s beautiful rendition of “Mad World”. Nathan is talented, there is no denying that. He just lacks the edge that comes so naturally to Adam Lambert. Nathan just pales in comparison.

4 Anthony { 10.26.09 at 4:25 pm }

Ben McKenzie also did a good version of this song on Idol a few years back…

5 cucumber { 10.26.09 at 4:27 pm }

This is not the first time Nathan’s mimicked Adam’s song choices… wth is going on?! I don’t like Au Idol that much, really… The judges are SOOOO off-topic and usually the guest judge does a better job of critiquing the contestants.
Adam Lambert has the experience and strategy that outshines Brake’s… he’s young tough, so he could catch up…

Its alright, just not as eerie/beautiful as the original. Why couldn;t he have picked another song? Why THIS one? (stops rambling)

6 Anonymous { 10.26.09 at 5:52 pm }

I liked Ben’s version a couple of seasons ago.

Hmm, I wasn’t aware of Adam Lambert’s until just now, seems like Nathan copied his arrangement – or was Lambert’s arrangement somebody else’s?

7 weaselfeatures { 10.26.09 at 7:19 pm }

Anonymous: I totally agree with your comment about Nathan jumping on the Adam Lambert wagon. There’s just no comparison (sorry Nathan) I dont have a favourite Aus Idol this year but cant help but wonder how awesome Stan would sound if he’d had the amount of training that Nathan’s had.

8 Anonymous { 10.26.09 at 7:19 pm }

Sorry Nathan’s doean’t even come close to Adam’s haunting performance. He even got the first standing ovation ever on US Idol by Simon Cowell, he was just amazing. I agree Nathan is trying to emulate Adam even down to the hairdo, but he has a long long way to go.

9 Reality Raver { 10.26.09 at 8:15 pm }

I will have to check out Ben’s version as well.

10 KC { 10.26.09 at 8:37 pm }

I don’t get it…Aren’t they both just singing Gary Jules cover of Mad World? So its not really Nathan copying Adam its both of them covering Gary?

11 Ursa { 10.27.09 at 1:08 am }

Definitely check out Ben’s performance. I think the last time I watched a full episode of idol was the one when he was eliminated. He was the only interesting voice in his season. Anyway, it really is no competition between Adam and Nathan. Adam’s is brilliant. Ben’s version also beats Nathan’s. Now, Ben vs Adam’s I’m not sure.
Also, American Idol’s gotten rather showy, how long have they had the smoke machine.

12 Mikey { 10.27.09 at 2:52 am }

Having read other peoples comments, I thought I’d refresh my memory of Gary Jules version and I have to say I found it very bland. There’s just no expression in the whole performance. Which I guess indicates that I think Adam Lambert’s version is so much more entertaining. As for who sang Adam Lambert’s version the best? Between Adam and Nathan Brake, it’s Adam without a doubt. 😛

13 Sarah { 10.27.09 at 12:29 pm }

Adam…hands down.
But you should’ve put up the video from the first time he sang it. :]

14 reality raver { 10.27.09 at 12:39 pm }

Sarah and Ursa – I could not find the YouTube from the first time he sang it. But then I am not the greatest YouTube afficianado.
Ursa the smoke machine was part of the American Idol finale. I don’t think they have stretched the smoke machine to weekly performance shows.

15 Colls Bolls { 10.27.09 at 1:27 pm }

I disagree, I think Nathan has a better tonal quality to his voice than Adam. Other than walking around and ‘looking mysterious’ Adam didn’t do much either.

16 shine { 10.27.09 at 3:24 pm }

I was really nervous for Nathan before he sang Mad World but I needn’t have been. I fully expected Adam’s version to be far better than Nathan’s but again, I was wrong. Nathan absolutely shone with this song. Very beautiful indeed. Best version.

17 serenity { 10.28.09 at 1:40 am }

I also think Nathan sang it better

18 Patricia { 10.28.09 at 3:05 am }

u cant compare a performance tat is done in the top 5 with the one during finale. one is complete version one is instant. plus one is 26 or 27? one is 17. i love adam lambert as well, i think adam has more originality but his voice is shaky at times.. u should post the 1st time he sang tat song not the one in the finale. btw i wanna see if nathan will sing tat song again during finale. n oh, i’ll be happy if nathan wins this competition..

19 Patricia { 10.28.09 at 3:15 am }

this is adam lambert’s mad world (the 1st time he sang it). watch it!

20 adamazing { 10.28.09 at 8:38 am }

Check out this website http://adamaholic.blogspot.com/

21 Colls Bolls { 10.28.09 at 9:44 am }

I’ve just watched adam lambert’s 1st time singing Mad World and apart from a shaky start to the last note, I thought it was better than his finale version, it was a little less polished but definitely more emotional and real

22 wilby { 10.29.09 at 12:01 am }

I’ve listened to both Adam and Nathan’s versions of Mad World as objectively as possible, and honestly, Nathan’s version is better than Adam’s. His voice has more “fullness”- (for want of a better word) and Nathan DIDN’T sing the song note for note as Adam’s fans claim.

Fans will always defend their fave whether their fave has sung a song better or worse than someone else’s fave. It’s like a lioness protecting her cub.

23 Yvonne { 10.29.09 at 8:50 pm }

Sorry, but no one can compare with Adam Lambert. Adam has one of the best voices in the business. As far as I am concerned his version of Mad World was outstanding and Nathan tried to emulate it to no avail. Having said that, I think that Nathan is quite good and I hope he wins Australian Idol.

For all those who have not heard of Adam Lambert…..Youtube him…..he is amazing!!!

24 Vijay { 10.30.09 at 12:50 pm }

I firmly believe that Adam Lambert and Nathan Brake did the best versions so far. Having said that, Nathan has an edge because he has this angelic quality to his voice and did such a great performance. He is only 18, can you imagine what his voice will be like when he is 27!

25 musicfan { 11.02.09 at 2:23 am }

I love the way Gary Jules sang the song best!!!

26 patsy { 11.04.09 at 10:13 am }

Adam hands down!!!!

27 Court { 11.10.09 at 9:55 pm }

I think that nathan did a wonderful job at this song. He is such a brilliant singer and has an amazing voive. He puts a lot of emotion into his singing and wows his audience. I think he will do wonders with his voice as he is only young and has a great path set out for him

28 Bern3755 { 11.13.09 at 6:04 pm }

Adam is a brilliant singer, he’s also a lot older than Nathan with far more experience. He said himself in an interview in the last couple of days that it wasn’t till he was in his 20’s that he was able to master those amazing high notes he lets loose with.
Nathan will be an amazing singer too in a few years, he has the talent. But in this instant Adam won hands down.

29 Margaret { 11.19.09 at 2:25 pm }

I have just listened to both versions and I enjoyed them both! Remembering Adam had an audience where as Nathan’s version was only a practice without an audience, they both did a brilliant job. Nathan and Adam are unique singers in their own right and don’t need to be compared with each other!!

30 kayla { 11.24.09 at 7:25 pm }

Nathan would kick Adams ass any day Nathan is the best and that’s it you rock Nathan u have a amazing voice your the best and always will be not matter what any one else says =D love your voice keep it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will go a long way you can’t help that your better then Adam the people that picked Adam over Nathan don’t know a good voice when they hear 1 =D =D all that Adam does is grab his crotch all the time leave it alone Adam go Nathan go Nathan you rule <3 your voice =D =D Nathan is the best bye all xoxox

31 kayla { 11.24.09 at 7:27 pm }

NATHAN HANDS DOWN =D

32 Anonymous { 01.07.10 at 12:03 pm }

i think nathan is way better than adam and also with everyone comparing them together just remember that adam is alot older than nathan and also nathan hasnt really had any training either

33 Lydia { 02.02.10 at 2:18 pm }

Oh, no.. Ben McKenzie did it first, did it best and the other 2 are just… ick.

34 frier { 02.26.10 at 2:49 am }

I’m a big fan of Adam Lambert but Nathan’s version of this song is better than Adam’s.
I don’t like Ben McKenzie’s version.

35 Emma { 02.27.11 at 5:53 pm }

I like Nathan’s better because of his amazingly beautiful tone. I don’t particularly like Adam’s tone much, it’s a bit screechy.
Also didn’t like Ben’s version either.