The Contender – Still Wondering If You Can Make A Successful Reality TV Show Out Of Boxing

Boxing in a competative reality TV show? I have to be honest I did not start watching it tonight with much enthusiasm. My first thought was why I am I watching a show where the guys are really not very articulate, but then I realised I do watch Australia’s Next Top Model, and really the quality of conversation on that show is pretty abysmal.

But first I have to say that the interview that host Charlotte Dawson gave to the Sun-Herald magazine yesterday about what she knows about men, was honest, emotional, inciteful and reflective. Unfortunately I cannot find a link to it online. Publicists should take note, sometimes a celebrity talking to a journo without spin can do more for your clients profile and their opinion of them.

Also didn’t Johnny Lewis get shot by a rainbow up his proverbial to get on a reality TV show to supplement his retirement income? I am still not sure what his role is – maybe just to add some credibility.

I loved the way one of the guys said there shouldn’t be any racism in the house and they all agreed, but they called the Sonny, the African guy, Jungle boy. Apparently it is not racist as the Jungle part of the ‘nickname’ means he is dense and thick. Right, do you get it as I don’t.

The boxers were split into a blue and gold teams, these had been pre-determined and were not random.

Things did start to get interesting once the challenges began. The first was running through an obstacle course on sand, and Sunny looked particularly unfit. The top four then had another run to do in bushland. Then there was a mental part of  remembering the numbers to open a lock to let off a balloon.

Charlotte kept on telling Ben he had the wrong numbers but he did not listen.

Garth Woods from the gold team won it, and he seems like a nice guy. He says he is in the show to get to a better place.

The first fight was between Josh and Israel, I could not work out how Israel was the one that was picked to box for the blue team.

I cannot make many comments about the fight but it did get more excting in the last round, and at least they edited all the boring bits out.

Israel lost the fight and Josh gets to live in the house another week. But Israel should take heart his kid was a cutie.

I am still not sure if I will stick out the whole series but will keep on watching for a few weeks.

1 The Contender – Still Wondering If You Can Make A Successful … | Reality TV News on Twitter { 11.02.09 at 11:09 pm }

[…] Read this article: The Contender – Still Wondering If You Can Make A Successful … […]

2 Martin Hendry { 11.03.09 at 2:19 pm }

Quote: “Josh Clenshaw immediately marked himself as a grade A fuckwit when he said there was no girls in the loft to cook and clean for him. So I hope he is eliminated quickly. Later on in the show he said he had split from his wife last year. Not surprised at all.”

I think you’ll find that, like all of Josh’s comments, this comment was tongue in cheek. Knowing Josh he is very much a hands on family man and got along well with all of the crew, including the females. Your comment about him splitting from his wife is much more tasteless and inappropriate. The fact that you don’t put your name against the things you write speaks volumes about you too.

3 Martin Hendry { 11.03.09 at 2:21 pm }

PS: It will be interesting to see how far he progresses on the show and Israel was picked by Josh to fight – that’s how it works, the winning team picks their fighter and the opponent from the opposite team. It really isn’t rocket science though.

4 Reality Raver { 11.03.09 at 2:36 pm }

Martin Hendry – the producers/editors put that line in from from Josh and if they thought that showcased his ‘ironic’ side they were wrong. Sorry those jokes are about as humourous as a fart in the spa (speaking of very unfunny jokes). Also they mentioned the split with wife, something they did not have to do.

I comment on what is edited on screen, they decide how they want the “characters” to be protrayed. If you have a problem with that call the TV station.

My recaps are there to create discussion. In all the shows everyone has different opinions on what the people are like. See and The Apprentice blog posts.

We agree on one thing boxing is not rocket science.

5 Martin Hendry { 11.03.09 at 3:52 pm }

It’s a big leap from being an a-grade fuckwit from someone who makes light of a lack of domestic prowess in a house full of boxers though a joke (that you’ve perceived as being unfunny).

In light of your further comments about the producers/editors influence, the comments levelled directly at Josh are even more unjustified.

As I said before, it will be interesting to see how he progresses on the show and whether he shows himself to be, as you so inappropriately put it, an “A grade fuckwit”.

Thanks for your reply.

6 Culinary Boner { 11.03.09 at 4:55 pm }

This show is reality trash of the highest order. If I want to watch sport, then I will watch the real thing. Likewise, if I want light entertainment I will watch a traditional format reality show. What next with this crapola hybrid format? Cameras on NRL players during games so we can hear them swear and sledge, rather than actually watch the footy? Why don’t we get the players to use twitter while on the field to let us know what they are thinking? The whole concept behind this latest rash of shows sucks big time IMO.

7 :( Reality Raver :( { 01.07.10 at 5:01 pm }

Maybe it’s time you took a break from your computer to get what the rest of Australia calls, a sense of humour.

8 Sarah W { 01.12.10 at 8:45 am }

Now the show has come to an end, I hope that you will have taken the time to see Josh’s personality develop.

I think Australia’s first Contender was fantastic, much better than the American version obviously because the talent was home grown and they all seemed much more down to earth than their American compares.

As for Josh, I hope you took the time to notice that his sense of humour is very tongue in cheek and very sarcastic. I think he’s showed himself to be the exact opposite of the ‘f wit’ you initially described him to be, he wears his heart on his sleeve, he’s down to Earth and he showed that he loves nothing more than being there for his family.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Josh in early November and he’s a lovely guy, so her certainly has a new fan in me, I hope he’s turned you around as well because I think the only ‘f wit’ in that house was Nadar Hamden!

9 Reality Raver { 01.12.10 at 8:52 am }

Hi Sarah,

I am glad you enjoyed the show, I must confess I only watched a couple of episodes, but if there is a season 2 I will give it much more attention.

10 Sammy { 07.09.10 at 11:43 pm }

Sarah W says: “I also had the pleasure of meeting Josh in early November and he’s a lovely guy … I hope he’s turned you around as well because I think the only ‘f wit’ in that house was Nadar Hamden!”

I couldn’t agree with you more!!

11 Gemma { 01.07.11 at 8:40 pm }

I don’t believe I’ve been subject to a more inadequate, acrimonious piece of drivel served up as “writing” in my life.
To call Josh Clenshaw, a man you don’t even know, a grade A fuckwit after observing his behaviour for mere minutes only serves to paint you as a know-all-know-nothing, judgemental man-hater. What he said was obviously tongue in cheek yet you saw fit to point your gnarled, crooked grubby finger at him whilst boring us to tears with your shabby excuse for “Australia’s Leading Reality Tv Blog.”
Take your own advice and score a sense of humour.
What an unimpressive, untalented egotistical sow you must be.

12 Reality Raver { 01.07.11 at 10:13 pm }

Gemma – Well you have made that judgement about my blog after reading it for five minutes, at least I spent an hour watching the show…

Clearly his sense of humour and mine are diametrically opposed.

But hey thanks for taking the time to comment.