Review of Tough Love On Lifestyle You – The new ‘Women’s’ Channel

A new channel launched on Foxtel yesterday aiming firmly at the women’s market called Lifestyle You.

The programmers must think women like reality TV shows, as that appears that is what the shows screening appear to be. Not that I have a problem with that.

A show I watched today was Tough Love which is a show from VH1 the home of trashy reality TV. It is a show where Steve Ward, dating consultant holds a boot camp for eight women who are in dating crisis ie they cannot get a relationship.

The interesting thing is that one of the many executive producers is Drew Barrymore. Not that this little snippet gives the show any intellectual grunt.

At first I thought it was going to be a take off of the highly entertaining Millionaire Matchmaker, however it quickly showed it self to be different pretty quickly where the girls get some ruthless feedback on their dating and dressing styles.

Steve Ward the host, who apparently is only twenty eight is pretty brutal, probably playing up to the cameras, but what is also strange is that he appears to have had botox, and also eyebrow waxing.  I find the botox a bit strange for one so young. Also at this point I am not sure I actually like him. However here is an interview from VH1  where he discusses the show and his business.

The girls are a made up of the ballbuster Stacia, the wannabe bridezilla, the stalker, the princess, and the nuturer. In the end it was an hour of compelling viewing which left me wanting more. More information on the cast bios are here.

Yes the girls were degraded by having to parade past some men for them to make judgements about them. But I think I would be hypocritcal if said I had never done that myself. They then got a make over, which actually made all of them look fabulous before they were sent to a party to mingle. Also the girls apart from maybe Taylor appear to be on the show to geniunely try and find a mate.

It was cringeworthy that some of the feedback was so honest, as it would be hideous to have a camera on you as you were trying to impress a guy. Also it had a touch of Celebrity Rehab about it as the girls are encouraged to analyse why they have such obstacles in maintaining a relationship.

Recommended viewing. It shows on Lifestyle You on Wednesday nights at 9.30pm, however there are lots of repeats throughout the week.

1 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 11.16.09 at 6:04 pm }

I had such high hopes for “you” but so far, well, it hasn’t been very “me”. It’s a bit like when you think someone waves at you, then you realise that they haven’t and you have to quickly use your raised hand to brush away an errant hair.

But this show sounds a hoot – much better than “underage and pregnant” and “addicted to boob jobs” that I checked out… Not me, thanks you.

2 megs { 11.16.09 at 6:30 pm }

Is it me or is ‘ Addicted to Boob Jobs’ on 10 times a day on ‘You’?

3 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 11.16.09 at 8:50 pm }

Yep, the programmers are addicted to Addicted to Boob Jobs…

4 Reality Raver { 11.16.09 at 8:57 pm }

Clearly the programers are male. I am boycotting that show, as well as underage and pregnant..

But can definitely recommend House of Tiny Tearaways if you have young kids. A really great child psychologist, shows up how shonky Super Nanny is.

I must confess I thought the You channel was about healthy lifestyle etc.

5 CG { 11.17.09 at 12:38 am }

Has anyone watched “Four Weddings” on Lifestyle You yet? It looks like it could be very catty which is always fun for a little brainless indulgence….

6 Injera { 11.17.09 at 7:20 am }

Yeah, You will be another blow to the credibility of Sarah Wilson. She’s worked so hard to try to create an image of healthy lifestyle/strong woman/blah blah blah and here she is, promoting the schlockiest schlockfest in the history of schlock.

Have to say, I did tune in to one of the many screenings of Addicted to Boob Jobs and, even with my heightened tolerance for crap, I couldn’t sit through it. I was trying to work out what was wrong with it (I mean, apart from the obvious) and realised that it was just a vehicle for the presenter to boost her own self-esteem at the expense of the women whose own self-worth she judged as being tied to the size of their boobs. Lots of rooly sointific research too: a whole sequence when she talked to her boyfriend about what he thought; women parading through a locker room to be judged as real or fake by boozing post-game rugby players; random questioning of cabbies.

Yep – I think we’ve been sold a pile of steaming turd with You. Possibly Foxtel thought it would mollify those of us who realised that we’re actually paying quite a bit more… for less.

Still, CG – think I’ll tune in to catch a glimpse of Four Weddings… it’s bound to be on at some point today!

7 reality raver { 11.17.09 at 8:16 am }

CG and Injera – I watched Four Weddings yesterday. Highly entertaining and fast paced. Schlocky of course, but good schlock.

I will be posting a review today.

8 DONNA MCPHERSON { 01.11.10 at 5:05 pm }

I love reality shows and was looking forward to this show, but it was so over acted by all the women and they were so full of fake boobs, restalyne fillers, botox.Just fake, then the last show the 39 yr old never ended up with the nice guy.So i give this a 3/10