My Kitchen Rules – A Hybrid Of Come Dine With Me And Masterchef Australia?

(Manu Fiedel, judge on My Kitchen Rules)

Clearly being a chef is the new black, and if you have not been asked to go on the plethora of cooking shows this year then you really are D list.

Channel Seven is trying to get the jump on the other stations by  airing one of their new reality show My Kitchen Rules early in the ratings season. It is there way of jumping on the Masterchef Australia bandwagon. But how is it going to work.

On first glance it looks like a hybrid of Come Dine With Me (an Australia version launches on Lifestyle Channel 18 January at 8.30pm) and MasterChef Australia which in itself was a mixture of many reality shows.

Any way here’s the drill – The teams will take turns each episode to transform their home into a restaurant for one night. Where they must serve up a three-course meal.

The judges Pete Evans and Manu Feildel, and the other teams will mark the host’s dinner event to give them a total score out of 100.

The best teams will move forward to the finals,  where they will compete in a custom-designed restaurant. This will include guest judges and challenges.

The winner will take home $100,000 in prize money.

No news on when it will premier as yet, but expect it after the completion of the Australian Open tennis.

1 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 01.14.10 at 2:41 pm }

You had me at Manu…

2 Quark { 01.14.10 at 3:24 pm }

Strip him down, oil him up and bring Manu to me

3 CG { 01.14.10 at 5:26 pm }

One would think that these new shows would be crazy to debut before the Olympics ends. Then again, as Olympics are in Canada and all nightime coverage in Aus will be delayed, results already known, etc. maybe it doesn’t matter? Will the new season of MC start up before the Olympics?

4 Injera { 01.14.10 at 5:35 pm }

Sounds as though it could be a bit of fun if they’ve cast pairs with chemistry (a la The Block/My Restaurant Rules).

And… Mmmmmmanu!

5 Wurstsemmel { 01.14.10 at 6:43 pm }

Aargh. I see I’m joining a lengthening queue…..

Manu. Who cares who else is on the show?

6 Quark { 01.14.10 at 8:19 pm }

Matt who?

7 James { 01.14.10 at 9:00 pm }

“My Kitchen Rules” should be “My kitchen Fools” I read a blog recently which outlined the contestants from the pilot! They sounded fun and I would want to watch it! However, the people on the ad seem as boring as crap! Channel seven, It seems like you have pulled member of parliament out and put them in a T.V. show. Great idea, however, fire the person in charge of casting! Cheers James

8 James { 01.14.10 at 9:01 pm }

BTW Manu stinks! No he really dose!

9 Quark { 01.15.10 at 7:02 am }

James, Manu would smell of garlic, frenchness and luuuuurve

10 Dolph Ziggler { 01.15.10 at 11:56 am }

Dolph is sickened by Quark’s drooling lust obsession for Manu. Take a cold shower please.

11 Reality Raver { 01.15.10 at 2:57 pm }

Pinkpatentmaryjanes – LOL best line ever.

Quark, Injera, and Wurstsemmel and Pinkpatentmaryjanes – so the consensus is that it does not matter if the show is a dud it is still going to be watched because of Manu? Will he be the Matt Preston of 2010?

James – Hopefully they got the cast right, fingers crossed it would be great to have a good reality TV show. But more importantly how do you know Manu smells? Does he like to go au natural?

Dolph – Clearly you are jealous.

CG – you have a good point, however I am not sure how the winter olympics rate here. It is the juggernaut that the summer olympics are, possibly because we have such a small snow culture. I presumed MC would commence in May, like it did last year, however they are filming now so may be thinking of starting off the new ratings year with it.

12 Wurstsemmel { 01.15.10 at 3:52 pm }

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’d still watch. Hey, I even watched a show called ‘Boys weekend’ recently – four chefs – Gary, Miguel Maestre and someone I didn’t know – because Manu was in it.

But comparisons of Manu to Matt? Nooooooooo. Matt was cute personality wise until he blew it with his copious ads for Handywipes and compilation CDS but Manu? He’s nothing short of the full package.

13 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 01.15.10 at 5:33 pm }

Wurstsemmel, there were four chefs in Boys Weekend? I did wonder about the plural aspect of the title…

14 Wurstsemmel { 01.16.10 at 5:54 am }

I think so PinkPatentMaryJanes but I have no clue who the fourth person was. In the end, all the cooking was done by Manu and Gary from Masterchef with a teeny amount of assistance from Miguel

15 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 01.16.10 at 12:17 pm }

Actually Wurstsemmel it was Adrian Richardson {i’m such a chef-groupie} I just tended to ignore everyone else…

16 Wurstsemmel { 01.16.10 at 3:11 pm }

Ah. As one would…. :)

17 My Kitchen Rules – Premier Date, And Information About The Contestants | reality ravings { 01.22.10 at 11:05 pm }

[…] for My Kitchen Rules. It will screen on Monday and Tuesday nights at 7.30pm from 1st February. In a previous blog post I state the show appears to be a hybrid of Come Dine With Me and Masterchef […]

18 James { 02.01.10 at 7:53 pm }

Boaring!

19 Masterchef Australia And My Kitchen Rules Finally Having A Cat Fight | reality ravings { 03.29.10 at 5:00 pm }

[…] Something we have  been saying on this blog for some time (see previous post My Kitchen Rules A Hybrid Of Come Dine With Me and MasterChef Australia […]

20 My Kitchen Rules Apparently Copies Masterchef Australia | reality ravings { 03.13.11 at 2:58 am }

[…] Wasn’t this a story last year, when there were claims that My Kitchen Rules was ripping off aspects of Masterchef Australia? In fact some commenters on this blog were particularly skillful at picking the phrases used on both shows. (I can’t find exact blog posts as searching for them brings up a squillion results – however the call on this was made early in the series.) […]