The Biggest Loser – A Weekly Weigh In On The First Episode Now That Is A Biggest Loser First

Ok I admit I spent a lot of time this episode pressing pause in the group shots to try and see if I could spot alleged child offender Deryck Ward or his sister on the show. Points go to Channel Ten as they certainly have exorcised the pair, but this has also meant that the first week of the show has now been squeezed into one episode.

Tomorrow night will be an elimination episode and I hope for Phobe and Jenni and Alan and Romi it was not a close vote and Deryck’s vote actually counted otherwise fear and loathing will be enamating from one of the couples. We will just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

On a positive note Hayley Lewis is a great choice as host of the show. She is genuine, warm and compassionate. Also very attractive. We saw more of trainer Michelle Bridges in the Burgen ads, but that was not a negative thing, as every newspaper and magazine I have picked up in the last month has had Michelle in it multiple times. She must be getting close to overexposure. The same cannot be said for Shannon Ponton, and I wonder if there is professional jealousy between them.

Anyway I did have all the teams and starting weights listed, but my blog crashed and I lost them so apologies. (Yes there was a lot of swearing and teeth gnashing when I realised that had occurred)

Therfore for the readers who need to know these things, Caitlin is the heaviest girl ever to be on the show, she is competing with her sister Dana. And Shannon is the heaviest contestant in the competition at over 204 kgs which is a lot of fat to carry for a 24 year old.

There first task was to run four kilometres, this was to get them thinking about The Biggest Loser wildcard challenge of running a 42 kilometre marathon, as a chance to get back in the competition.

The twin boys Joe and Rick crossed the finish line first in a respectable 37 minutes, with the 40 something old dads nipping at their heels.

Caitlin was the first contestant to hurl this season, and probably won’t be the last. But she did finish.

Shannon barely walked a few hundred metres before it all became to much for him and he lay down looking like he would not get up. Points to Shannon Ponton for getting him up to walk one kilometre. In fact they needed an extra pair of hands to get him off the ground.

Then it was time to check out The Biggest Loser headquarters and see who had been given the poison chalice of deciding who will get the double or nothing bracelets. Married couple Alan and Romi had to decide. They gave the nothing bracelet to Shannon. As they thought he needed to be here the most and wanted to protect him, and Alan decided to keep the double it bracelet himself as he did not want to give it to anyone to put a target on their back.

However he has done that to himself. It will be interesting to see if his nice guy strategy helps him in this week’s elimination.

I wonder when the producers/casting agents are going to decide when is a person going to be too big to do the rigorous exercise regime. As Shannon looks like he needs to be highly monitored. Lucky for Shannon he does have youth on his side.

Then it was straight through to the weekly weigh in. The two forty year old dad’s were this weeks biggest losers ie they lost the most percentage of body fat.

Jenni and Phobe who are aunty and niece, and Romi and Alan are the two couples that fell below the yellow line and therefore are up for elimination tomorrow night.

The interesting question will be how they will handle the second weigh in and elimination episode? This was when Deryck and his sister left the show. I know I will be watching to see what happens.

If you are reading this post through the feed at TV.com.au, please come and check out Reality Ravings, Australia’s Leading Independent Reality TV blog.

1 Laura { 01.31.10 at 10:21 pm }

I thought Haley was great too, did you see her get teary during one of the weigh-ins?
I missed the very beginning though, how was her skinny/fat/skinny story told?

2 Wurstsemmel { 01.31.10 at 10:42 pm }

like Hayley. She seems genuine. I always thought Ajay false. I did think Hayley looked a little gaunt though.

I think the show is somewhat unrealistic though. I can’t believe they get people who are dangerously obese into such strenuous exercise. There must either be some prep before the show otherwise someone is going to have something bad happen one day I also don’t buy a 15 kg loss in one week.

3 Reality Raver { 02.01.10 at 12:21 am }

Laura – I saw her tear up, so she clearly has empathy for their struggle. They did not talk about Hayley’s skinny fat skinny “journey”. Probably would have looked a bit trite, considering she is a disciplined former athlete who was out of shape post pregnancy.

Wurstsemmel – I must admit was was mesmerised by Hayley’s protruding collar bone. The first week weight loss is always big. I mean if they are not eating much and exercising all day combined with the size of you it may be possible. Probably not healthy.

4 Vic { 02.01.10 at 9:09 am }

I also assume that most of the contestants pile it on for the start of the show to up their starting weight and increase their denominator.

While the message it is never too late to turn your life around is a positive one I just can’t get behind so many health aspects of the show.

5 Wurstsemmel { 02.01.10 at 9:48 am }

Same here Vic, including the constant promotion of products like meal replacements, including Biggest Loser ones, and Fat Blaster during the show. This, for me, contradicts, the lifestyle change message the show is supposedly promoting.

In addition, I again wonder if these contestants are given proper psychological assessment/care. While it might make good viewing to see someone like Shannon meltdown like that, to me he needs to build his mental resilience to tackle this journey before starting. What’s going to happen if he gets kicked out early?

6 Reality Raver { 02.01.10 at 10:08 am }

Vic and Wurstsemmel – I agree with your comments.

Also I think there should be psych assessments prior (which they must do) and ongoing care. But a 24 year old does not get that large without something psychological going on. Do they?

7 Bee { 02.01.10 at 1:45 pm }

I too liked Hayley much more than Weigh-Jay. It also seems that the Ch10 stylists like her more too.

I felt having the first weight loss weigh-ins too much this episode. It was as though they were dropping huge kgs from just stepping into the house, as we didn’t see much of the workouts etc.

Also, it appeared that there were a few who couldn’t do the figures in their heads, as they were just standing there, not reacting until the computer calculated the loss.

8 Wurstsemmel { 02.01.10 at 2:04 pm }

But a 24 year old does not get that large without something psychological going on……

Unless there’s a physiological reason e.g. Cushings etc…probably not. Thus the need to do some protective work upfront…shifting the weight isn’t going to shift the psychological issues…of course, unless the situation was exaggerated for camera. Cynical me, but I do sense quite a bit of manipulation in this show which is why I didn’t tune in much to the last series.

9 Vic { 02.01.10 at 2:53 pm }

The restrictive diets and exercise regime seem to work best (in the show) for those who are essentially addicts. Has anyone watched Sober House?

For most people this type of extreme action would be unnecessary. A simple “reduce *bad* foods, increase *good* foods and get more active” would give more wide spread healthy results. I feel like that is at least what the adverts should be saying, if not the show (which uses the drama). The food supplement adverts definitely bother me.

10 Kellie { 02.01.10 at 5:54 pm }

I thought Hayley did a great job, obviously nervous. Are they shortening the season for BL this year. I thought they said they were having a weigh in again tonight, but maybe I misheard that. Would have been a nightmare re-editing the whole show.