Survivor Samoa Finale – Russell Didn’t Win And He Did Not Look Happy

“I should be playing with superstars,” said Russell to camera when he was talking about the top five Survivor contestants. Little did he know that he was going to get the opportunity to play against some hardcore, grade A players in the upcoming Heroes V Villains, which Channel Nine is promising will be coming soon.

I was a bit disappointed for Russell not winning, but I did think Natalie did deserve the prize, particularly ahead of Mick and Jaison.

Christ those two were absolutely useless. The Doctor and the Fulbright Scholar never appeared to strategise nor win challenges. In the final five immunity challenge there  was another puzzle challenge where they all started off fairly even and yet again Mick nor Jaison were able to complete it first, they were beaten by Brett, the 21 year old t-shirt designer. This was not unexpected at the time I turned to my TV viewing partner and said “Mick and Jaison will fuck this up.”

Also it might have been smart for Jaison and Mick to confer prior to the top five elimination challenge. They both knew that he had done over a heap of people, but did they have a conversation on what is Russell telling you? Then they may have realised what was going on.

Russell would have won if he had taken Mick and Jaison to the top three. The one strategic mistake he made all series was picking the wrong person to take with him to the top three.

Natalie was a major part of getting Erik voted out of the merged tribe and this was what started the demise of Galu.

Russell looked like he was near tears most of the reunion episode, but he did get some consolation by being voted by the public the most popular Survivor this season.

Here is an exit interview with both Natalie and Russel on Social entertainment

1 Laura { 02.02.10 at 11:17 pm }

I think Russel definitely deserved to win. Not that Natalie was useless the entire competition (she was behind Eric’s elimination) but it was Russel who brought them to the finale.

The thing is, when the jurors vote, there is no criteria at all. It is simply up to who they feel like voting for. Russel cannot control who they want to vote for, whether he was nice or not. It’s up to them to decide whether to vote based on who played the best game or who was the sweetest. So I don’t think that Natalie’s win was a result of a mistake made by Russel. It was a mistake made by the jurors.

2 TDK { 02.03.10 at 8:31 am }

There was not a mistake.
It was what it was.
They have free will to vote who they want to win the $1 million.
End of story.
That’s why they have the winner and second price for viewer’s most popular.

3 Bee { 02.03.10 at 9:44 am }

I wished Russel had won also – he was the only entertaining one out of a very boring cast otherwise (Shambo was mildly entertaining though).

However, what was with the final 3? I always thought it got down to final 2… at 3 one person wins immunity and chooses the one person to take with them. Much better I think.

Also, did they show who voted for who in the end? Wiki might have the answers

4 Jeb { 02.03.10 at 9:44 am }

one part of me thinks that russell deserved to win as he played the game the hardest and there is a precedent for rewarding proactive players if they can make it to the final. But as Probst said there is more than one way to ‘play’ the game. So I’d disagree with anyone who says Natalie won purely because she was the sweetest – which she nodoubtedly was!

5 Wurstsemmel { 02.03.10 at 9:45 am }

Haven’t seen it yet but I knew who won because I accidentally stumbled on the winner a few weeks back. So, I don’t know what transpired last night, apart from your writeup RR, but I think Russell deserved to win over Natalie. Like him or loathe him, he definitely played the game and, in the end, I had a grudging respect for him.

6 Bee { 02.03.10 at 9:47 am }

In case anyone is interested, Sham and John were the only ones who vote for Russ, noone voted for Mick.

7 JUZ { 02.03.10 at 10:54 am }

WOW!I’m stunned, Outwit, yep every second of everyday he was there, outplay, yep just ask Galu! outlast, yep there he was at the end, the game is a game NOT real life!!! Russ would wake up in the middle of the night to think of the days stratergies, think rethink constantly, Mick was an okay player, Nat would wake up and ask Russ what there next move would be….Russ you should have been sole survivor. Fantastic entertainment, my family have watched for the last 10 years and this was the best strategic play EVER!!! the jury was just pissed that they weren’t able to get Russ out first…You can’t Ouwit and Outwitter!!! :) Go Russ
Sorry Nat! Coat tails to you!!!

8 par3182 { 02.03.10 at 4:03 pm }

Russell’s mistake was forgetting that the jury gets to decide the outcome, thereby failing massively on the outplay part.

9 TDK { 02.03.10 at 4:11 pm }

Russell said he was born to play the game; but not the whole game.
Survivor has always been about a) outwitting and also b) convincing the people you’ve outwitted to give you the $1 million.
OK, so now that’s clear, it’s not important for Russel to get the $1 million, he’s already one. I don’t know why he’s upset about it, he had outwitted everyone else, which is the main part of the game.
Survivor mimics life really well; he may be a very successful businessman, by outsmarting everyone, but he doesn’t get sympathy when he asks for help.
He didn’t asked for the juror’s help, he just states that he played the game really well, and although the juror should have voted for him, they didn’t have to.
May the best player win, no not always.

10 sourkraut { 02.03.10 at 10:13 pm }

Missed the 1st hour …stiff!
So much to say, so little inclination to say it.
Natalie is HOT HOT HOT without bolt -ons and DESERVED to win. For once in life the arsehole did not come out on top.
Russell wake up. If you stab everyone in the back and then brag about it to the jury, don’t you think they will get the craps to some degree?
Anyhoo, despite the fact I promised never to mention the girlies favorite….CHRIS B again, I lied. I want to see a picture of Russell’s grumpy tear riddled face BOO HOO SOB SOB on your blog a la the one of C B.
The questions asked by the jury were not colossally in- sightful and left me disappointed. They did not even ask each candidate the same question,
Good on you Nat for rejecting Russels pathetic offer to buy the title. Wot a BURKE!
Finally… who voted for who? Disappointed not to see. Also at last after about 20 survivor series, one of the candidates i liked won.
PS Shambles you are still a shambles!!

11 Reality Raver { 02.03.10 at 11:23 pm }

Ok so the consensus seems to be that no one thinks that Mick should have won. I think the top three came in a few seasons ago, as a shock twist and it must of stuck. Maybe it stopped people taking the not very nice person through with them to ensure they won.

After reading all the above comments, I tend to think that Russell did not have a strategy for winning over the jury. He seemed to think they would just all acknowledge his genius playing skills. Maybe he over played – for example why did go and tell Brett that he was going to vote Mick to have a tied final four that was never his intention.

And agree why did remind them of the fact he had done them over.

Sourkraut – you did not mention whether you prefered Natalie as she was on the island, or with that make up on at the reunion.

12 sourkraut { 02.04.10 at 1:41 pm }

Raver
the true beauty of a woman come through with OR without make-up.
In the reunion she was “drop-dead gorgeous” but on the island there wasa real sex appeal about her, a bit like Raquel Welch in that film ….years BC. Anyway, the character she was portrayed as having, calm, quiet and NOT BITCHY made her inner beauty a true winner in the kraut’s eyes
PS does anyone know how the votes went?

13 Reality Raver { 02.04.10 at 1:54 pm }

Sourkraut – the votes went zero for Mick, two Russell and six Natalie.

14 sourkraut { 02.04.10 at 2:12 pm }

Thanks raver
I knew that, i’m just wondering who voted for who. I dont have to be a brain scientist or a rocket surgeon to work out who the shambles voted for but who was the other vote for russel from?
Actually from the somewhat inane questions asked at the final tribal council it LOOKED like it was going to be closer

15 Reality Raver { 02.04.10 at 2:22 pm }

John was the other one as was Shambo who voted for Russell.

16 sourkraut { 02.04.10 at 10:04 pm }

aaaaah the beauty and the beast…………hey waiddaminnit that could be the title for a NEW reality series (ahem)