Poh’s Kitchen – Entertaining, But Won’t Be Cooking Any Of The Recipes

Gastronomic gumption ... Poh Ling Yeow isn't afraid to experiment.

Masterchef runner-up Poh Ling  Yeow will be quite happy when she see herself on screen tonight, as it was entertaining, it was a bit like a conversation going on in your living room.

But was it a cooking show? Well technically yes, and it certainly borrowed a lot in style from the Maggie Beer show that it replaced The Cook and The Chef, where they kept on going back and foward between Poh and guest chef Emmanuel Mollier cooking.

This made it a bit difficult to keep track of the recipe, however this did not really bother me as I had no intention of cooking either of the recipes. Emmanuel’s almond croissants were far too time consuming, and the same with Poh’s cake even though it did look delicious.

I also wonder if we can only expect one recipe from Poh each week. Poh is a natural on screen, and I will definitely tune in next week, however I am not sure how long this series will hold my attention.

1 Wendy { 02.10.10 at 11:20 pm }

I thought it was ok. I’ll be interested to see how it goes. I thought 1/2 an hour to see 2 dishes cooked, and then still have to download the recipe was a bit drawn out.
Poh is good on camera, and her personality was able to be shown more than when she was on masterchef. I think in time she will probably quieten down and be a bit less bim-bonic.
Her art, at the start of the program, looked fantastic, and I bet the owners of the gallery that she is exhibiting in were stoked with the free plug.
Any which way you look at it, Poh is definately the winner out of series 1 MC.
Julie and her Cling Wrap and absent cookbook
Chris with his debts, women and absent career
Justine seemed to take off at the start, but has now also vanished, after those terrible ‘rabbit-in-the-spotlight’ commercials for Harvey Norman.
I think it will be interesting to compare Poh’s first and last episodes of this season, to see how she relaxes into this role.
Good on her! It is great to see a contestant making money after a reality tv show, whilst not having to appear in a bikini in a trashy mens rag.

2 CG { 02.11.10 at 3:38 am }

RR, you liked it, really?? Wendy, bim-bonic indeed! I barely made it thru the 30-minute show and almost turned it off during the first 10 minute art show/gallery plug.

Poh’s tres, tres, tres annoying laugh and fake smile take me back to her attempted seduction of the judges on MC and are just waaaaay too much and way too “Suzy Wong” for me. It is annoying and insulting (as a woman) to watch her try and be “so charming and cute”.

I won’t be tuning in next week. And I certainly won’t be buying a self-portrait painting of the Im-Poh-ster.

I wish she would just go away. She really has nothing to add to cooking or otherwise.

3 Reality Raver { 02.11.10 at 8:13 am }

CG – it was lightweight but watchable, but remember I live on a steady diet of crap TV so maybe I have been brain washed.

Also I was on the internet whilst I was watching it so kind of multi-tasking so I was not 100% focussed. So that is probably why I liked it as I did not have to concentrate and could multi-task.

Wendy – Agree Poh was the definite winner from the series, I wonder if any of them will actually open an eating establishment.

4 themolk { 02.11.10 at 9:13 am }

I recorded it to slipstream later, as the kids go to bed then, & I didn’t want to commit to something that may have been a car accident. It wasn’t, but it wasn’t great.

As per my personal deal of offering shows 3 viewings/3 eps, Poh’s got two more chances to hook me. MasterChef-shoulda-been-winner or no, this was a new style of cooking show that didn’t feel like a cooking show. Far too much giggling to be taken seriously, independent of how much fun she was having. Way more than the viewers, I’d expect. Perhaps laughing at the face that she can now flog her art on her TV show & get paid for both.

BTW – my prediction for MasterChef2010 – Julie will show up for a master class (so will Justine, likely). Makes no sense, but gives the people what they want.

5 Paul { 02.11.10 at 9:46 am }

Rated 540K. Great figures for the ABC at that time of night. Almost knocked off Neighbours which had 564K.

To put it in perspective, correspponding shows on ABC in the same timeslot Monday and Tuesday drew 320K and 310K respectively.

I quite liked it. Slipped into The Cook and The Chef’s shoes very comfortably. Fairly lightweight but you have to be in that timeslot as people are generally feeding the kids or getting dinner ready. Its hard to dedicate yourself to a full 30 minutes in that slot.

themolk,
Bit of a myth out there that the public want Julie. There is no evidence to show that they do. By far the two most popular contestants last year were Justine and Poh and that is proving the reality in the commercial world since Masterchef ended.

All the conspiracy theories as to why Julie won have all been proven false, ie book release straight away, the face of Ch Ten cooking, face on every Ch Ten product, appeal to housewife demographic. In fact she has slipped rather quietly into obscurity.

6 sourkraut { 02.11.10 at 10:33 pm }

Paul
To compare this with the Cook and the Chef is just plain ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chalk and cheese
CG I find myself agreeing with you again (and also re Monsieur French accent). I think its time you had a reality check!

7 Jenny Draut { 05.20.10 at 12:33 am }

Jesus….leave Poh the f….k alone!!! she is doing a great job!! jealous pehaps!!!!!!!!!

8 Clive Shaw { 09.26.11 at 10:08 am }

Couldn’t agree more CG. I don’t watch that show for that very reason. The fake smile and laughter.