My Kitchen Rules – Now THAT Was A Twist

Can someone call PETA and tell them to stop flour bombing Anna Wintour and get to Adelaide to save a goldfish placed in a wine glass by South Australian team Mel and Pete. This was a decoration to reinforce their Left Of Centre theme. Thankfully no dancing bears with chains around their necks came out.

This was a much anticipated episode of My Kitchen Rules as Mel and Paul, have been seen to be a bit snarky towards the other contestants, however they have been scoring the other teams highly.

But really before we get into their menu I think we will just fast forward to the end of the show to the twist, and really did anyone see THAT coming? Ok so we knew the show was being broadcast until Easter, but five new teams was really unexpected. I hope some them come with personalities and/or drinking issues to liven up the party a bit.

Also I hope Channel Seven send me a press kit on the new contestants to make my life a bit easier in finding out who these actual teams are.

In fact I am a bit disappointed I am going to have to wait another three weeks before I see any of the teams cook in that luscious My Kitchen Rules set. In fact I would even settle for a Masterclass by Manu Feidel and Pete Evans.

Anyway back to the dinner party. You did have to feel sorry for Mel and Pete as the weather was wild, and I suspect they may have got some help with their marquee to make it more weather proof from the producers, otherwise it would have very uncomfortable for the contestants and the judges.

There menu was quite sophisticated:

• Risotto with Broadbeans and Pancetta;
  • Venison with a Bloody Mary Sauce;
  • Cherry Berry Tasting Plate.

The producers were trying to create drama by showing us  Western Australia’s couple Marc and Natalie faces as each course was being tasted. I thought Marc was going a bit over the top, but then he probably knew it was his last episode on the show, and why not go out in a blaze of angst.

The risotto was flavoursome though Pete would have liked them to double peel the broadbeans. Maybe they ran out of time. The venison did look fantastic but the judges and contestants were mixed about the bloody mary sauce on it, Obviously they like vodka as it made it into the dessert as well in the strawberry and fig martini.

Mel and Natalie gave them 7

Gen and Tanja – 8

Clint and Noah – 6

Moss and Gabe – 7.  By the way how tired did Gabe look?

This gives them a total of 28.

Manu Feidel scores were entree 7, main 8, and dessert 8

Pete Evans scores were entree 7, main 9, and dessert 7.

They slammed dunked it and received a total of 74, leaving Gabe and Mossy second on 66. This meant Marc and Natalie were eliminated.

We only had a bout ten seconds to miss them before we were introduced to the five new teams.

What do you think of the twist? Oh and does anyone know if the goldfish survived the evening?

1 themolk { 02.15.10 at 10:21 pm }

The producers are letting us all down with the bad cuts, & depending on the disembodied voice narrator AND the contestant interviews narrating the show.

The twist was good, but the set of MKR HQ could just be the MasterChef kitchen with a big pantry in the middle.

Let’s see what the new 10 ppl bring to the show. Some new personalities will be good, as the we’ve worked out all the one dimensional characters of the remaining 8.

Just feeling a little cold on the whole premise now…

2 sourkraut { 02.15.10 at 10:39 pm }

5 big NYAAHS to all youse SA hating victorians!
They (the MAGNIFICENT SA_ERS) talked the talk and walked the walk! WELL DONE despite shocking conditions, and an unrevealed Plan B which nevertheless seemed to work.
Now the scoring … seems ridiculous that theoretically the wa-ers could have both given them a 1 knowing they had to do so to stay in the comp. Next season it needs to change.
Noone was game to turn up in jeans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
What’s wrong with bloody mary sauce? It would disguise FOR ME the judges MODERN OBSESSION with RAW food!
So then there were 9?!?! WTF????? and still no Asian chefs?
Look forward to the kitchen cook off and the Masterchef inspired demonstrations stillto come by the judges. BTW I gained RESPECT for Manu when he told the wa-er off for preferring a Monet shit sandwich to a beautiful tasting stick drawing
Also like Pete Evans give him a break, i think he’s doing a good job on a program where it would be difficult to project much of ones personality (without an accent anyway)

3 CG { 02.15.10 at 10:42 pm }

RR, the goldfish in the wineglass tonight wasn’t the first issue for PETA…recall the filthy fishbowl that was the centrepiece at the VIC boys dinner?

I had a feeling the SA couple would do well…despite (or in spite of) the build up. But I didn’t anticipate the twist of introducing five more (state based) teams.

The “twist” somehow feels like an afterthought…was this planned from the beginning (Fleur?) or something they added in after the first few episodes to extend the series given the “ok” ratings? Or, alternatively, to introduce some personality into the rather flat and uninteresting group of contestants?

As for the MKR kitchen, where is it…did they say? Surely it isn’t in Adelaide? Looks very MC-esque.

And as for the dinner tonight, it was totally ruined for me because of the damn marking system. The entire focus as each course was served seemed to be on the WA couples’s reaction and fate, with them willing the SA team to screw up. That shouldn’t be how it feels. It would have been a great show if final scores were shown at this point in the series (ie show judges marks on the night but contestant scores at the end…this would also allow for some build up of tension/resentment/scheming between the teams…a la Survivor).

And when it came to the scoring tonight, the VIC boys really pissed me off. Where do they get off scoring others so low? I think they – along with their inedible raviolis and sickly goldfish – need to go next.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this show. I’ll continue to watch for now but it needs more tension, snarkiness and perhaps some guest judges..? And yes, more alcohol and dinner conversation would help!

4 Wurstsemmel { 02.15.10 at 10:52 pm }

Well, the five new couples was HUGE new to me when I read your recap. Strange as I was watching but shows I fell victim to the non stop excitement that is MKR and dozed off before the end yet again.

I lost interest when it became obvious the SA pair weren’t going to come unstuck.

It was a night of interesting fashion choices though. Manu and Pete looked like they’d got their wardrobe fresh off the set of Dumb and Dumber. Manu’s bow tie looked particularly limp but let’s not go there. And as for Mel and her feathers , I wasn’t quite sure if she was going to get plucked herself and end up on the menu doused in vodka.

Did anyone actually notice her cook anything?

I did wake up briefly and thought Id skipped three months and gone straight to Masterchef. Altogether now…rip off. All that set needed was, in the words of Manu from the Sun Herald, three ugly, fat judges.

Much as I don’t like the SA team, the food looked much better overall than other teams. The bird cage shennanigans spoke of try hard rather than interesting and challenging as they’d hoped, not so much “left of centre’ as another rip off… Didn’t the Vic boys have the fish on the table and someone else have a bird cage with candles? They could have worked a frangipani in there and they might have pulled it off.

Sorry for the rambling RE. Had no sleep last night and maybe delirious and have dreamt all this.

PS why no show for three weeks?

5 Wurstsemmel { 02.15.10 at 10:55 pm }

Oh and one other thing…either MKR is badly staged or the WA guy needs to invest some time in learning to manage his emotions better. I thought he was out of line, disappointed or not

6 Reality Raver { 02.15.10 at 10:59 pm }

CG – The consensus appears to be the building is the old Hard Rock Cafe building in Crown St. CG you need to become a reality show consultant some great ideas there.

Sourkraut – Agree I thought Marc and Natalie could have called out the producers and flicked them one point. But I think they probably knew they were well and trully beaten and decided to be gracious.

The molk – I am not that enthusiastic about sitting through 5 more dinner parties.

7 Reality Raver { 02.15.10 at 11:03 pm }

Wurstsemmel – What I meant was I will have to watch three more weeks of the teams cooking in their home. I hope you get some sleep tonight.

8 Wurstsemmel { 02.15.10 at 11:07 pm }

Thanks RR because I missed the end, I had no idea more home dinners were to come.

9 CG { 02.15.10 at 11:16 pm }

The old Hard Rock on Crown St. Darlinghurst is relatively close to where we live in Surry Hills. I’ll have to drive by that way in the next few days and see if it is the MKR kitchen. The revolving doors look familiar now that you mention it. Ha! I haven’t been out that way for so long I didn’t realise the HRC was no longer there.

Sour, you are too right re lack of diversity in the teams. I see one of the new teams is a divorced couple (how does that work?). But still no Tasmanians (they are a separate race, aren’t they?) and no Asians, Indians, etc. Given MKR is clearly taking cues from MC, you’d think they would have picked up on the diversity bit of the formula from the get go.

10 Vic { 02.16.10 at 8:50 am }

sourkraut – you are so right about how white the dinner table is

Very sad that when we see reality show auditions, and when the selection is made via talent (MC, sytycd) then we end up with a lot more diversity then when people are selected by a production team.

Food seems to be the one area Australia wears their multicultural badge with pride, why isn’t their more variety?

11 Culinary Boner { 02.16.10 at 9:04 am }

Not double peeling the broad beans is a culinary crime.
Have to agree with the other comments here about the ethic breakdown for this show. Pauline H would be proud of how whitey, whitey, white it is…oh, hang on, that’s right, she’s bailing to Eng-er-land. Hopefully she ends up in Bradford.

12 Fleur { 02.16.10 at 9:07 am }

CG – No it was all planned. As I mentioned in a post last week the producers told me they were selecting 2 couples from each state. When the show only began with 1 couple I wasn’t sure if they had another format change or were holding back the other couples to be ‘intruders’ later in the show – now we know. At the channel 7 launch to media last year they announced there would be 2 couples from Qld – Sisters and a separated couple who were going to use the show to see if they should get back together (producer gold). I only know this because my husband is in the ad game. Last night the new Qld couple (Veronica & Shardi) were described at happily married. Time will tell.
PS: doesn’t anyone make their own stock anymore?
PSS: Good point on the diversity issue

13 sourkraut { 02.16.10 at 12:57 pm }

Cul bon
beans beans are good for your heart.. the more you eat……..
Hope you’re not sniggering at my heroine Natalie White.
I like the comment on the “ethic” breakdown of the show. was that deliberate? if so…BRILLIANT!
As to the ethnic composition of the chefs, i just like seeing food of other countries being cooked. It makes my mouth water. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Curries!!!!!!!
Maybe next show they could get all the cooks/chefs that were involved in Maeve O’Mara’s show on SBS and have them all cook off against each other. That would be interesting (TO ME ANYWAY). And PLEASE NO MORE BLOODY RISOTTO! Use your imagination please chefs!

14 Injera { 02.16.10 at 9:07 pm }

Great recap – will keep me going until I get a chance to catch up on the show later in the week. Having said that, I haven’t yet decided whether I’ll stick with it now that the “twist” has come in. Not a huge fan of the two-nights-in-a-row hour-per-ep scheduling (I mean, there’s Kevin McCloud to watch too!) and the initial five were dreary enough that I was pleased that the end seemed close. Now? Not so much…

Interesting point re: casting, Vic. Although I’m currently ready for American Idol to finish the seemingly interminable auditions and culling, I agree that seeing some part of that process gives the viewer more of an investment in the characters (sorry, the contestants) and makes the result somewhat more representative (for want of a better word).