My Kitchen Rules – New Teams Did Not Add New Energy To the Show

Has Channel Seven decided to wave the bland wand over My Kitchen Rules as I thought tonight was decidedly dull. Maybe because I had expected to get out of this sober version of Come Dine With Me Australia, and into the Masterchef Australia part of the show.

It has been a bit like running a marathon and thinking you are one kilometre from the end, and then being told you have another 15 kms to go.

Tonight it was the second NSW team of Ben and Deb turn to cook, and they certainly had access to some amazing ingredients.  Also helped that a mate of his delivered the saltbush fed lamb from Narromine. But with over one million people watching the show it was great publicity for him.

I was wondering/hoping the stress of  just newly dating and being on a reality TV should would give us an Amazing Race type arguement.  Ben seemed like a nice guy but was easily distracted and was off chopping wood and giving whip cracking demonstrations, whilst Deb kept on going in the kitchen and clearing up. This reminds me why I have no interest in being a cougar because of the maturity level of young guys. (For the record – here is a guest post I did on why I would not want to be a cougar at Kidspot.com)

The other new contestants are:

• Veronica and Shadi who are a married Lebanese and Italian QLd
  • Holly and Grace who are best friends from WA
  • Matt and Melissa are happily divorced from South Australia.
  • Rowan and Sophia who are workmates from Victoria.

Their menu appeared to be achievable in the time frame given as entree and dessert can all be prepared, however I could not understand why there was a 90 minute gap between entree and main.

The menu was:

• Smoked Trout with Labne;
  • Saltbush lamb with Fondant Potatoes;
  • Creme Caramel.

Manu thought the trout was a bit pasty, and salty. Pete thought the portion was too big for a restaurant. Pete Evans thinks the blood line on the trout is offensive. First world problems  Pete, first world problems.

The saltbush lamb was burnt in places and their was no jus, because Ben had burnt the crap out of it. However I thought they should have been given some extra point for using a pipe cut up to plate up the lamb.

There were some low scores tonight with the SA team scoring them 5/10

WA team scored them 5/10.

QLD scored them 7/10

Vic – 4/10

Was this the worst meal served on the show thus far? Judging by Manu and Pete’s scores it would indicate it was.The entree Manu gave a 4 and Pete 3.

The scores for the lamb were three from Manu and four from Pete. However better scores for dessert Pete and Manu both gave it a seven.

They got a grand total of 49. Wow their head is definitely on the chopping block. They are either going to have to hand out a lot of ones to the other teams or this pair will be eliminated.

1 Zibb { 02.16.10 at 11:00 pm }

I think the “twist” was a bit harsh on Marc and Natalie, as this group did worse than them but are (at the moment) still in the competition.

2 CG { 02.17.10 at 1:40 am }

I dunno. I think this group of contestants may just have a little more life in them then the first set. Tonight’s meal was a disaster and now we have the lowest scoring team having to sit thru four more meals thinking about their low score and everyone playing just to top 49. I guess they couldn’t make changes to the voting system/reveal midway thru the series.

Some other random thoughts:

— why did NSW have to go first again?

— we have all commented on the lack of cultural / ethnic diversity with the contestants but at least they have a cougar! I wonder if the relationship will still be on by the time the series ends?

— the 21-year girls from WA are going to be even more annoying than the QLD sisters from the first group

— I hope the scores from the first set of teams will not be used in relation to the second set of teams – ie ranking teams, etc. because while the team scores are relative to their group of five, the judges scores are relative to all ten (does that make sense)?

— it feels like Pete is getting more air / speaking time then Manu; I hope there are some guest judges by the time we get into the kitchen because the judges comments are getting repetitive

3 Wurstsemmel { 02.17.10 at 6:47 am }

Yawn.

Can’t see the cougar team lasting long…in the series or relationship wise. Food didn’t look good at all. Dessert looked ok.

The team I’d most like to see come unstuck? The WA sisters are for me the SA team of the first round.

I really can’t see this series had the legs for a second season.

4 sourkraut { 02.17.10 at 8:57 am }

A little bit of imaginative energy WAS added. The Wa-ers told us at the start that they want to show us wot they got (so to speak) and proceeded to do so by thoroughly unleashing the puppies during their ad segment…Set me thinking.. what happens if a boob pops out of the restrainers (such as they be) during the food process and ends up in the inevitable risotto. SCHLOCK HORROR what an unworthy thought, but no worse than some of the imaginations going on re Manu from the fairer sex.
Ben Cliche-man! you are NOT repping N S dubberya!
Felt sorry for Deb (and glad she did not do mashed potato GROAN old joke!) she seemed a very pleasant person.
Contestants keep the booze up. There were about 3 toasts and each time everyone’s glasses were near empty.
Weather wise ya cant help bad luck, but a plan B is a good idea. AT LEAST THEY HAD A GO AT SOMETHING DIFFERENT and had it turned out, would probably have been spectacular (and at least a change from modern French and Italian YAWN!). As it is why didn’t they remove the burnt bits and give all the guests half as much? There would still have been enough, and they could send me the burnt bits, I love em!
Thought the judges particularly harsh this time. has the bar (without the booze, Injera would have liked it) , been lifted?
On to the Qlders. Hope the husband predominates in the menu selection as I LOVE Lebanese food, otherwise we are in for boring bloody Italian pasta variations again or worse still another BLOODY risotto!
Anyway I STILL want to see the original SA team win if only to give the Vics the C@#$S Ha ha

5 Fides { 02.17.10 at 11:59 am }

I couldn’t help but notice what those WA girls were (and weren’t) wearing in their little spiel. Thought they might as well be cooking in lingerie – that white number was very skimpy indeed. And the bit where they jumped in the sand, what was that about?

Interesting dynamics with the divorced couple though – liked seeing them so readily disagree about the terrine being 80s or sending the food back. Overall I thought these couples seem nicer, or there was just a warmer vibe around the table. Though it could be that without scowling Mark and the smugs from SA, it makes for a more pleasant evening.

Previews for the next show look interesting – will it really be midnight before the main course is served? Surely there needs to be some time limit, like the dinner finishes at 10 or whenever, so if you haven’t got the plate out, the judges can only judge what you’ve already done.

6 Reality Raver { 02.17.10 at 12:34 pm }

Zibb – I am sure Marc and Natalie were watching the episode, and were “spewing’ (to use the old Puberty Blues venacular).

CG – your comment re: the scoring did make sense. By the judges score it would appear they thought it was the worst meal.

Wurstsemmel – I am just finding the one hour dragging. I think the cougar relationship will last the series but not the year.

Sourkraut – we are not sexist here so comments fine. I thought the WA beach jump was a bit weird. the light was not well placed or well placed for you….

Fides – I agree a time limit is needed. It must be costing Channel Seven a lot in overtime.

7 Paul { 02.17.10 at 1:12 pm }

Rated just under 1.5m Monday night but dropped back to 1.2m last night.

Drop can either be blamed on viewers not liking the twist or Top Gear premiering on Ch 9 last night in the same time slot.

Think its a little bit of both personally.

8 Reality Raver { 02.17.10 at 1:27 pm }

Thanks Paul for the ratings. I tend to agree with you. Monday night was a hotly anticipated episode with the SA couple as well. It will be interesting to see if viewer figures hold over the next few weeks.

9 wallah { 02.17.10 at 1:49 pm }

Ooof. This show just wears one down. They could shorten the episodes and show them every night, not twice a week followed by 40 “encore presentations”, please.
For mine though, the gits from Vic. in the first group have a King Kong sized pair on them, because I know that if my shindig=epic fail, I’d be a little sheepish in serving the Haterade on others. They really should have been given the boot.
One reason I’m watching though is someone I know well got to eat as an extra in one of the later episodes. They won’t tell me a damn thing except that the person she had to sit 12 hours with was another reason she finds herself single.

10 sourkraut { 02.17.10 at 1:51 pm }

To all the poll voters who don’t want to sit through boring dinnerparties……….simple………..DONT ..
Another triumph for the kraut

11 TDK { 02.17.10 at 6:08 pm }

This is a very belated comment.
Marc, you are such a baby.

12 TDK { 02.17.10 at 6:12 pm }

sourkraut – I think I may quit television.
Seriously, there is nothing of worth on.

13 sourkraut { 02.18.10 at 1:36 pm }

TDK
quite right. this is the most interesting (not as a cooking show, rather as a psyche study) of a bad bunch apart from the occasional docos on ABC orSBS.
Pity this is up against Top Gear. even though i cant stand prat Jeremy, i think the show is v interesting. Actually May’s wine snob show is also v interesting.
Wednesday night is a total write-off ,nothing to do but watch dvds of The games or Yes Minister etc etc etc

14 sourkraut { 02.18.10 at 1:38 pm }

TDK
some pissed guests would liven it up, or conversations about sport religion or politics durin the 1.5 hour waits for main courses.

15 themolk { 02.19.10 at 9:02 am }

Offering us another 5 shows of what we’ve just seen with different but the same personalities doesn’t extend the life of the show, it only extends the show.

It’s all a lot bland. If I were the 2nd NSW couple I’d score none of the other teams more than 4 sheerly out of spite. The only thing at the moment that makes this show watchable is the inevitable car crash somewhere in the episode.

Just don’t use this show as a drinking game for reality TV cliches. You’ll be drunk by break 2 courtesy the narrative from the contestants.

16 Reality Raver { 02.19.10 at 9:58 am }

I think as every one has suggested it may be a positive thing to get the booze flowing at the table, I reckon Manu would really perk up.

Interesting article on NY Mag I will try and find the link where they say all the Top Chef judges and contestants are on the booze whilst judges table is going on.

Sometimes they show outtakes with everyone just cracking up uncontrollably or unable to speak.