My Kitchen Rules – Is The Cast Lacking Diversity?

One of the criticisms on this blog by readers regarding My Kitchen Rules  is the cast does not reflect the multicultural country in which we live.

This criticism has also been thrown at US TV show The Bachelor,  where every bachelor has been white, with no black person cast in this role as yet (Source: The Guardian).

In My Kitchen Rules most of the cast is white with no asians, and with just a sprinkling of people of mediterranean background.

Do TV stations think anything “out of the ordinary” won’t appeal to the viewer?

Which brings me to one of the weirder emails I have received with a rumour in it about the casting of My Kitchen Rules.

I am unsure of the veracity  of the allegations. It alleges there was a pilot of the show shot with five teams. The teams were then advised the pilot was going to be turned into the show. However, when it was revealed three of the five teams were gay the “series” was cancelled and recast.

According to this email this pilot was allegedly shot in October end early November. One person commenting on a MKR blog post who was a student at WA contestant Marc’s school said that the teacher shot the show in his school holidays (December).

As I said I have no idea if this is true or there was some miscommunication between Channel Seven, and cast of the pilot.

Also it was noted in comments on this blog wondering what the point of Victorian team Clint and Noah being shot on the beach with girls in bikinis. Was this to make it clear to the audience they were straight? Or was this just a way to get the gratuitous bikini shot in the show?

The other rumour in the email was the original judges were Manu Feidel and female chef Jackie Gowan. They then decided to get Pete Evans in. However considering Seven announced Manu and Pete on 10 November 2009, this would mean they would have ditched the pilot anyway.

Regardless of the crazy My Kitchen Rules  rumour, it would be great to see more diversity on our screens.

1 themolk { 02.21.10 at 11:00 pm }

Lacking diversity? Yes.

2 sourkraut { 02.21.10 at 11:18 pm }

For something different and interesting i would like to see international teams compete. First round for me would be Indian, German, Malay (but not thepohpe), Lebanese, Australian, and Mexican.

3 Reality Raver { 02.21.10 at 11:24 pm }

Sourkraut – You could call it Superstars of Cooking?

4 Culinary Boner { 02.22.10 at 9:37 am }

No fair dinkum Bogans either. Why can’t we have at least one contestant pair who lay on a mixed grill barbie washed down with six slabs of VB and Bundy & Coke? Reality TV needs diversity in all its forms, and that includes white trash.

5 CG { 02.22.10 at 10:24 am }

I dunno Boner, the sisters from QLD and the newly-introduced barely-dressed chicks from WA are pretty close to purebred bogan if you ask me. Perhaps introducing a twosome from Tasmania would balance the scale?

6 Culinary Boner { 02.22.10 at 10:40 am }

CG, fair assessment. However, I’d classify these, esp the Gold Coast gurls, as bogans with aspirations/pretensions to being something else. The show needs die-hard members of bogan pride, else it leaves out a representative slab of our national make-up. No wonder Pauline’s emigrating.

7 josie { 02.22.10 at 11:06 am }

I was thinking this the other day when I was watching the NZ soap “Shortland street”. They actually have a few Indians and maoris in their cast. Im not 100% sure but I think Australia is much more diverse than NZ so I find it strange that their tv shows seem more multicultural than ours.

8 charades { 02.22.10 at 12:34 pm }

I was wondering where the ACT competitors were.
I remember it being announced by them that they had made it into the show ………. but no show.
I cannnot remember where I read it, or the rest of the story, just remember someone from ACT would be on it.

9 Culinary Boner { 02.22.10 at 1:40 pm }

Charades, perhaps Rudd vetoed any pubic servants appearing on the show?

10 CG { 02.22.10 at 5:27 pm }

Charades , there was a couple in from ACT but as Boner suggests, they were members of the public service and got so tied up in delivery of the pink batt program that they had to drop out. As we all know, Rudd is working those poor public service people to the bone and they are no longer just supporting policy but he expects them to be out there delivering the programs, too!

Boner, totally agree, aspirational bogans (a la Princess Mary, meet your prince by rubbing chests in the pub) is just not the same as diehard, prouder than proud bogans with no plans to change. I do think they can kill two birds with one stone by recruiting a couple of dinky dye, plaid shirt-wearing bogans from Tassie.

Perhaps next round…they are going to have another “twist” aren’t they, introducing a third wave of couples to extend the show right thru MC2’s also-elongated season?

11 charades { 02.22.10 at 10:51 pm }

It probably is rudd’s fault. Big , bossy channel 7 star that he is.
sniggering badly here at the ‘ star’ bit.
In his dreams.

12 Kaylen { 02.23.10 at 3:07 am }

I disagree about the boys being gay. Even if they are, it could be simply that they don’t wish for their relationship to be “known”. Not all gays are out and proud. :p

Their bios on the website lists that one of them will be moving to Queensland to become a vet, while the other is continuing to study property management in Victoria.

Re: bikini shot. Scantily clad females? If they’re straight, what’s not to say that they ogle daily? Is that not a daily activity for men? 😛

I doubt ch. 7 would baulk at casting gay people. A few of their producers are gay. If it were anything, it’d be the backlash they always tend to get from certain sectors of the community at the hint of any homosexuality within their programming. And gosh-darnit, not in a family program! Conniptions. 😉

13 Reality Raver { 02.23.10 at 8:42 am }

Kaylen – I don’t think Clint and Noah are gay, but I thought it amusing the lengths the produccrs went to to show they were straight.
I was something noted by my readers as well.

14 Fleur { 02.24.10 at 8:27 pm }

The pilot was almost certainly shot before October last year and they started shooting the series around 21st October and I believe they wrapped about 23rd Dec.

15 sourkraut { 02.26.10 at 10:07 pm }

oh dear dont yank my chain re heavenly crudd