My Kitchen Rules – Veronica and Shadi Rock It

“It was was not horrible but it did not do it for me”, now this is not what you want to hear that at the end of the evening  with My Kitchen Rules  judge Manu Feidel. He clearly did not enjoy Veronica’s dumplings.

A complaint I have about the show is the episodes are very drawn out, and I feel a bit bored like the contestants must do waiting one and half hours for dessert. However I am enjoying the second five couples better as they appear to have a bit more personality and likeability.

Still not sure about the WA girls- Grace was taking the Avatar craze a bit to seriously tonight with her facial accessories or she was having the first small pox outbreak in a few decades.

I do think there has to be a time penalty when it takes the team over an hour between courses. If this was a restaurant and you rocked up at 5.00pm you would like dessert by 12.00.

Tonight was Queensland couple Veronica and Shadi’s turn to cook, and I thought their menu was the most appealing out of all the teams thus far. They served garlic and chilli tiger prawns with orange and fennel salad, snapper with tahini sauce, with fattosh and labne, and for dessert chocolate and ricotta dumplings with ginger infused apple sauce.

I was surprised they bought already cooked prawns but this did not seem to diminish the flavour of the entree, which everybody loved. Even the picky Victorian team couldn’t find anything wrong with it.

Manu gave out his first ten for the series.

Victorian team Rowan and Sophie are the Mel and Paul of the second five teams. Nothing appears to please them.

Rowan thought the tomatoes had been cut too soon in the fattoush, and the flour around the snapper left a funny feeling in Sophie’s mouth.

The size of the snapper looked huge, and I think it could have done without the toasted almonds on it.

There was big gap between the main and dessert of an hour and half as they  were making the dumplings from scratch. Again what are these people doing in their prep time?

Also only deep frying three dumplings at a time in a tiny saucepan didn’t help their time management. By the time all were cooked the ones first cooked must have been limp and soggy.

I loved the presentation of the dessert, however no one appeared to really like the flavour.

Also points to NSW’s team Ben and Deb who after receiving a terribly low score last episode gave them a seven. Clint and Noah would have scored them a four. The other teams also gave them a mix of sevens and eights.

Pete Evans scored the prawns 9, snapper 8, and dessert 3

Manu scored prawns 10, snapper 7, and dessert 4.

The grand total was 70 which was the highest score for any of teams so far.  The competition is hotting up, and I have got to watch tomorrow night just to see what they are serving up that is horrifying everyone.

1 themolk { 02.22.10 at 10:20 pm }

Not overly impressed, honestly. I wouldn’t have thought that it was a 70 point dish. Perhaps the producers are feeling the pressure?

It all seemed way too forced.

Good sizzle at the end of the ep for Tuesday’s ep with the 2nd VIC couple & their restaurant. Smells like disaster.

2 Jeb { 02.22.10 at 10:43 pm }

first episode of the second round I watched and I’d agree that there seems to be a bit more personality this time round. Definately more likeability – especially with Veronica and Shadi. They came across as really genuine, cool people. The food looked awesome too. The first place in the series where I would want to go to. Besides Mel and Paul’s but i don’t think they’d let me in.

I’m liking the ginger workmates.

3 Wurstsemmel { 02.22.10 at 11:38 pm }

I’d like to see Veronica and Shadi go all the way. If this is the couple Fleur said had reconciled, best nominate them for an Oscar because they come across as a very stable and loving couple.

Love your comment, RR, about Grace. I note the WA girls didn’t waste the opportunity to flash more cleavage. Makes me wonder if they’re on the right reality show.

Most seem nicer than the first round but the Vic team seem like incessant whingers. The

4 Wurstsemmel { 02.22.10 at 11:44 pm }

…guy Rowan was particularly vocal in letting his thoughts known to the judge but lacks the personality to invoke the sane reaction as SA Mel from round one. Nevertheless, I can’t wait to see the VIC team come undone tomorrow.

What can be so disgusting to eat? Knowing how Seven edit this series, probably nothing. Wish I could work up more motivation to care more but this show us just so blah.

5 Kaylen { 02.23.10 at 3:22 am }

Mel and Paul were amusing and made the show that bit more interesting, as well as having valid comments.

Rowan and Sophie seem conceited and annoying. Their comments are about as valid as the looks the WA girls continue to send towards the two Judges.

Did you see at the beginning, when they arrive and were offered drinks? Rowan barges on through everyone – while it was meant as a joke, you have to feel sorry for the people he just practically knocked over. :p Rude!

As to his comments about the presentation of the desert (I have to admit, that I did like how it was presented): him saying that it was – and I can’t remember the exact wording – awful, and that there was no point to it as it wasn’t edible? Seriously?

With the WA girls, on one hand I think they’re alright, but on the other? Creepy x2. I guess the one that was closest to Manu was hoping that something would pop out of her non-existent clothing, with the way she kept trying to show her cleavage and her creepy (possibly meant to be flirty) looks towards him. :p

Poor Manu! Deserves so much better. Think he needs some comfort now? 😉

6 Culinary Boner { 02.23.10 at 9:24 am }

Raver, can’t help but be picky and point out that a Shandi is half beer, half lemonade. The guy’s name is Shadi
The WA girls do have a touch of the Kransky Sisters about them.

7 CG { 02.23.10 at 10:25 am }

I missed a lot of last nights show as there was a lot going on in our house while it was on…but a few comments. What the hell was on the WA chick’s face….Lady Gaga indeed! These two chicks really, really bug me…almost as much as the Im-POH-ster. I didn’t think the first course deserved a 10 no matter what it tasted like, what chef uses cooked prawns? Why aren’t things like ironing your table cloth, etc. done prior to the night..just silly. Veronica went on and on about Buderim Ginger “sauce”: it and every other Buderim Ginger product is available in every grocery store (Coles and Woolies) in Queensland. The way they went on about it makes me think that much of the show and esp is a big set-up. I thought it was very decent of the NSW couple to vote so fairly. Confirms the homo-phobic boys from VIC from the first round have got to go. Did Manu actually say “large is offensive” when confronted with the snapper? Does the man(u) protest too much?

8 Reality Raver { 02.23.10 at 11:30 am }

The Molk – Agree I still think there has got to be better cooking to come. Whatever the Victorian’s are serving up is not going to beat that score.

Jeb – Agree I like Veronica and Shadi, I am not sure why you don’t think they would let you in.

Wurstsemmel – I suspect the WA girls will be a train wreck when it comes to their turn to cook. I think the show has potential I am just finding the pace and chemistry a little show. A bit more dinner party banter please. Do you watch Top Chef? they are hilarious when they are eating and discussing the food.

Kaylen – I also liked the presentation of dessert. I don’t think Manu’s head would be turned by a young light weight girl. I think he would like his women a bit more experienced.

Culinary Boner – point taken on the name.

CG – Yes Manu was having size issues – with the fish… Maybe he is just trying to moderate peoples expectations.
I agree about the ginger issue, for christ sake she was only infusing the sauce with it.

I do think the high score for the prawns, means Manu has less room to move when a trully sensational entree hits the table. I am curious to make it now to see what it tastes like.
One thing I did notice about the Qld team is that they managed to source some fantastic ingredients. I could have eaten a bowl of that fattoush it looked so scrumptiously fresh.
Oh yes Lady Gaga – your pop culture references are far more current then mine.

9 jeb { 02.23.10 at 3:24 pm }

RR – i don’t think i’d meet the dress code at Mel and Paul’s

10 Wurstsemmel { 02.23.10 at 4:57 pm }

Top Chef? Sadly, I haven’t seen it, RR, as only have free to air services. Sounds interesting though.