My Kitchen Rules – Rowan and Sophie’s Disastrous Evening

The food must be cold by the time they serve up to the judges and the contestants as it takes them so long to plate up. The Victorian teams pigeon looked like it had been out of the oven for ages. Also I am not sure what that glue like taro mash would have tasted like cold.

It was Rowan and Sophie’s turn in the kitchen tonight, and it was a bit disastrous for them. One of the amusing aspects of the show is watching the teams being very cocky when they are other peoples “restaurants”  and then having to swallow their pride as things inevitably go wrong. And tonight was a good episode as it went at a faster pace until the scoring.

Cooking for ten is stressful enough without having cameras shoved in your face, or professional chefs running into the kitchen to look over your shoulder, but Rowan even had it tougher wearing formal gear. I could not understand why they went with formal, it makes it uncomfortable for everyone.

The Victorian’s did have some bad luck, but they did kick some own goals. Firstly Rowan hacked at that lovely piece of cod, which would have had Floyd turning in his grave. I am amazed Sophie did not flip out at him and she even kept her cool when he started cooking the fish before the guests had even arrived, and we were not talking about a whole salmon in the oven, it was frying fillets.

It was like he had sort of brain explosion and just popped them in the pan. I am not sure Rowan has a lot of finesse in the kitchen.

Their mains were Pigeon with Yam mash. Veronica could barely touch hers as she had a psychological barrier about eating them. However the two judges were in raptures.

Dessert of Macadamia and Quandong tart was overcooked so it crumbled. Obviously the producers tell Manu to go into the kitchen just as a disaster is unfolding, as he went in also to check out the entree as he had checked out the disastrous fish earlier.

Sophie saved the day with the crumbling up the overcooked tart she turned it into a parfait, but the flavour of the quandongs did not appeal to the judges.

Pete had a very good point about whether quandongs were put on their menu to educate their guests or for their enjoyment. He thinks customers should be given a pleasant dining experience. The same could be said for the pigeon as well. I line up in the Pete camp to eat out for enjoyment, however Heston Blummenthal would have a completely different view. At least pigeon is more palatable then the dormouse Heston served up on his Christmas special.

Surprisingly the contestants scores were OK, with Shadi and Veronica scoring them the lowest with a five.

Manu  scorted the  entree 3, main 8, dessert 3.

Pete  scored entree 3, main  7, dessert 3.

They received a grand total of 52 so they are safe.

Veroncia said Rowan looked devastated but not as devastated as Ben and Deb who were still wallowing on 49.

Next Monday night it is Holly and Grace’s turn and from the previews it looks like everything goes smoothly for them.

1 Injera { 02.23.10 at 10:13 pm }

Just when I thought I was out…!

Couldn’t understand why Rowan didn’t take the bloody jacket off when he was in the kitchen. Surely if the producers allowed them to sub in taro for yam, they would have okayed a bit of a minor kitchen strip?

I couldn’t take it seriously once the Vics did their “kitchen face/front-of-house” face thing. I could be in a small minority of people who have memorised Waiting for Guffman, but once they’d done that, they were the “Lunts of Blaine” for me.

Can’t remember which contestant it was who said it, but it was a good call on the non-pigeon eater: she remarked that she would have expected contestants to be foodies, who wouldn’t quail at a squab (pun not only completely intended, but agonised over).

2 CG { 02.23.10 at 10:35 pm }

Ha! Title of your recap could have been: “People who live in glass kitchens shouldn’t throw frying pans”!! Rowan is such a wuss. He got exactly what he deserved given his critical comments in the earlier episodes. I’m not sure VIC should have out-scored the NSW BBQ-ers. Bottom line is NSW is still in last place and facing elimination. From the editing it would seem WA sluts (whoops, I mean young girls) will go thru. That would suggest the the jail bird from SA will falter? The cougar from NSW is quite cute when she polishes up and I’d like to see them go thru to next round. And the NSW pair are being very fair in the scoring, knowing they are in last place and facing elimination which counts for something in my books. I still think QLD on Monday night was “over scored”, esp the 10 from Manu on the starter. Overall, VIC / Melbourne is certainly not living up to their reputation (self imposed?) of being the foodie capital of Aus given the two disatrous teams them have fielded. I am looking forward to the next round when the get into the kitchen.

3 Culinary Boner { 02.24.10 at 10:28 am }

Raver, agree with the comments about the show’s two-paced approach. All very entertaining and amusing until the scoring section, which seems to go on longer than the scoring for Eurovision (if that’s indeed humanly possible). And its all executed without the witty comments of Terry Wogan*. Very yawn inducing.

* “My career is not yet in that desperate a state that I will make a spectacle of myself in front of the whole nation,” Terry Wogan
on why he turned down invitations to appear on reality TV shows, Jan 2006

4 Wurstsemmel { 02.24.10 at 12:25 pm }

Channel 7 editing again! What’s so disgusting about pigeon? Wouldn’t eat it myself but I was expecting something much more horrendous. Still, achieved the goal and got me to watch.

Was good to see Rowan get firmly bitten on the backside by kharma after all his mouthing off. The fish preparation was a complete disaster as were the tartlets. I find his ‘I want to educate’ people attitude quite patronising. I really don’t think this team deserved to outscore NSW.

5 Fides { 02.24.10 at 2:19 pm }

I was disappointed about the pigeon too. I was thinking witchetty grubs, especially when the Channel 7 preview showed Rowan saying he’d reassured Veronica that it was dead whilst he’s mashing some horrible grey/white paste (which ends up being the taro). Can’t say I like pigeon though, it’s pretty gamey.

I found Sophia more likeable than previously, and it was good to see Rowan brought down a peg or two. Manu’s comments about Rowan finally seeing how difficult it was to cook for 10 under pressure etc suggest his previous comments didn’t go unnoticed by the judges. I too thought they deserved less or equal to NSW.

Oh Manu – he thoroughly entertained me with his comments about the fish cooked by hand grenade, and Pete looked pretty amused too.

I’ve really warmed to this show, though a week ago, I couldn’t have cared less. Now I can’t wait for the real stuff to happen in actual MKR kitchen.

6 Reality Raver { 02.24.10 at 2:34 pm }

Injera – I suspect if Rowan had taken his jacket off in the kitchen all we would have seen was a pile of sweat, which would not have been a good look on national TV. LOL the Waiting for Guffman comment. I tend to agree with SA girl who said at least she should have had a crack at it.

CG – I think they also score a little bit on potential.The Victorian’s menu was much more ambitious and interesting then the NSW team. But the 6 and 7’s the Vics were given may suggest the food was not as bad as it appeared to be. I hope the NSW team stick around as I like them. I don’t think they have what it takes to win the competition.

Culinary Boner – I think the best bit about Eurovision is the scoring.

Fides – I thought last night was one of the best episodes by far, and infact this five contestants seem a bit more animated, or it may be Manu and Pete had settled into their roles by this time.

I suspect the team shows were filmed straight after each other, and the teams landed on the set in Sydney and went from there. Does that sense? For example the first five were taken into MKR kitchen, with the WA lot eliminated. Then the next five teams are taken in and one was eliminated. Then the joint filming began.

I could be wrong but that would be cheaper for the producers. Why fly them in for one scene?

Loving Manu. Pete is ok to. I hope they have special guest judges to add another dynamic later.

7 Culinary Boner { 02.24.10 at 3:11 pm }

Raver, agree that the Eurovision scoring is intriguing but for sheer entertainment who could go past performances like Finland’s death metal thrash entry for 2006, Lordi. If only I could publish a pic. Although, it would make your site unsuitable for littlies.

8 Wurstsemmel { 02.24.10 at 3:55 pm }

Oh, and Manu can say ‘BOOF’ to me anytime he likes.

I can’t remember what it was he said that in connection to but, really, when he says it like he does, who cares?

Pete? I can’t help noticing how hairy he is. Eek.

9 Culinary Boner { 02.24.10 at 4:18 pm }

Off the dominating side topics of Eurovision and Pete’s hairy virility, what was clear from last night’s episode was just how poor Rowan and Sophie were at the kitchen cooking fundamentals, a la Margaret Fulton and Elizabeth David, let alone restaurant fare.

The fish hacking was cringeworthy to watch as was Rowan throwing all the so-called fillets into one pan all at once. Simple kitchen rule is you crowd the pan, you stew the meat.

Hmmm, meat. Enough with the obvious cooking tips. I’ll now step back and let you girls get back into drowling over Manu and, for you Furries out there, Pete.

10 Fides { 02.25.10 at 12:03 pm }

Pete irritates me with not just with the fur but it’s mainly his voice. He always sounds like he is reading off cue cards, his voice is so monotonous. But his eyes make up for it – they’re pretty expressive.

Manu – there must be something wrong with me, but he was rather gorgeous when he was upset… he can say”boof” to me as well as express his disappointment anytime.

11 sourkraut { 03.01.10 at 1:12 pm }