American Idol – The Top 24 Guys
Apparently Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson have been talking that a girl will win this year’s American Idol, and on tonight’s boy’s night I think they might be right. There were a few good performances, but a lot that were completely forgettable.
A few thoughts on the show:
- Todrik’s version of Kelly Clarkson’s version of Since You’ve Been Gone was a bit strange, but it was kind of likeable. Randy cracked me up and he had a point when he said the song was a hit and you obliterated it and it was unrecognisable. The reason it was a hit was because people liked it.
- How Aaron Kelly got through to the top 24 after completely blowing is final top 100 performance is beyond me, and tonight’s country ballad song did nothing to make me change my mind – clearly I was alone in my opinion as the judges gushed, even Simon Cowell was positive.
- Jermaine Sellers voice was a bit cracky and pitchy, but his voice has some interesting tones, I would like to hear him sing again before I press the delete button on him.
- Tim Urban who got a last minute call up for the top 24, has a cute pop look, his vocals were weak, and he over annunciated his words. I might be twisting the knife, but Simon plunged it in.
- Joe Munoz did nothing for me in his preview interviews, but on stage he turns into a little cutie and a lot of appeal. Lucky for him there is a high hispanic population in the US so should be safe. Simon was not feeling the love for him.
- Tyler Grady was the first contestant who screamed star. However Simon thinks he is a rock star cliche, and the rest of the judges agreed. Ellen thought he lacked charisma. Maybe I am a sucker for the Jim Morrison/Michael Hutchene.
- Lee Dewze was smart and picked the popular song from Snow Patrol, I liked it. But he got a 50/50 split from the judges.
- John Park song was extremely dull, I will be surprised if he is NOT eliminated.
- Michael Lynche Maroon 5 was a good song choice but I thought the guitar playing was superfluous.
- Alex Lambert grew on me once I got over his dreadful mullet, I am not sure if he will make top 12 but he has an unusual voice.
- Casey James who I have been a bit ho hum about, changed my mind a bit with his performance, not sure why Kara is so hot to trot about him.
- Andrew Garcia’s performance was entertaining, and I think he got hit with the “we have high expectations of you” stick by the judges.