So You Think You Can Dance – And Now There Were 14 (The Judges Are Miffed With The Viewers)

“Vote for the dancing Australia,” moaned Matt Lee down the camera obviously not happy with who landed in the bottom three couples. “I think we are going to have to go backstage to discuss this,” he continued. What? Don’t you judge it on the solos? Clearly Australia had just wrecked the story the judges thought was going to play out tonight.

I was surprised that  Carly and Kieran were in the bottom three, but  Grace and Nick, and Jess and Doug I wasn’t.

I know the judges raved about Grace and Nick’s hip hop routine, but I found it flat and dull. Jess and Doug just have not popped yet, they should, but maybe they just lack chemistry. Issi and Don should have been there but obviously they have a lot of fans out there.

And Jason Coleman gave the viewer another lecture at the end of the show about voting for the best dancers, but really the show has always been about voting for Australia’s favourite dancer. Now some years that will mean the best dancer will win, other years it won’t. Deal with it.

However I think the judges eliminated the wrong girl. I thought Carly should have gone. I thought her solo was more rhythmic gymnastics then dancing. And Grace’s I really enjoyed. I think Grace has more depth to her dancing than Carly. Also I think Kieran and Grace would have made a great partnership.

With the boys I thought Doug was the logical choice, for three weeks in a row he has been pretty weak with the lifts and has not stood out. Also I thought his solo was more athletic than dancing. However I found him very likeable.

Now if Don could give Issi an extra hard squeeze on the ribs Grace might be able to come back in the competition.

The third contract was announced tonight it will be a role in the musical Hairspray. David Atkins is to be the director and Jason Coleman the choreographer. The prizes this year are fabulous.

Unfortunately for Ten the ratings are not as good as they were when it was screening on Sunday nights. However with Adam Lambert, the American Idol runner-up on the show tonight, that could pull in a few more viewers. And in unsurprising news Adam announced he will be performing at Mardi Gras.  Hope he has a ball.

1 Sophie { 03.04.10 at 9:40 pm }

Grace was the far more logical choice. I find her facial tics to be distracting and it particularly affected their hip hop routine, which was supposed to be sexy but I found it uncomfortable because of her. Granted, she has more depth in her dancing but I don’t think her and Kieran would match at all. Honestly, Kieran & Carly’s partnership was a stroke of genius, and probably one of the few pairings the judges got right.

Doug deserved to go. He’s had 4 sub-par performances and has yet to lift his game. WHen you have a judge questioning your own CV, you’re in BIG trouble.

2 KC { 03.04.10 at 9:54 pm }

I thought Grace should have gone as well. I can’t really give a reason why but I think its because she has such a definite look and character I can’t see her in anything else but as Grace which doesn’t really suit SYTYCD in my opinion. For the boys, there wasn’t really much a choice but even though Douggie is so cute, he did deserve to get out out of the 3 because there hadn’t been a week where he was that great.

I AM SO EXCITED! JESS AND NICK! OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! Their hotness as a couple (hopefully) will blow everyone away and they will be AWESOME 😀 OMGOMGOMGOMG SO EXCITED FOR THIS PAIRING!

And on another note. Am I the only one who thinks Don and Issi aren’t that great…They’ve been pretty average. But then again, pretty average dancers have stayed in for quite awhile.

3 josie { 03.04.10 at 10:35 pm }

I agree with you about carly. I think she’s been given a huge advantage so far being partnered with keiran and looks better than she really is because of it.

Having said that Im not too upset with the results

4 ._. { 03.04.10 at 10:50 pm }

I really liked Doug ;~; Unfortunately I can’t really justify him staying, especially after that terrible solo. Seriously what was he thinking? The tricks are nice individually, but wow, they did not string together well at all. But I’ll still miss my eye candy D:

I’m glad Jess stepped up. Her solo really was awesome, definitely the best of the three. I actually really like Carly, so I’m glad that Grace left, although I’m also hoping for an ‘unfotunate training accident’ to occur between Issi and Don. How have they not been in the bottom three yet?! Stupid Teenage friends of Issi texting their votes at light speed I’m guessing.

If there was one positive to Doug leaving, it’s that Nick and Jess is basically my dream couple.

Doug ;~;

5 alicat { 03.05.10 at 8:48 am }

RealityRaver, I have to agree with you in querying the logic of the program when Matt made that comment about talking before the solos. For the judges to decide who’s going before they’ve even seen the solos – that’s deeply inappropriate and unfair to the dancers. Fortunately, I actually do think the elimination was judged on the solos. Jess’s dance was stunning and I am so glad for her that the judges recognised that and made her safe. Personally I would have sent Carly home before Grace, but neither of their solos were particularly exciting. I’m sad that Grace had to go, but oh my gosh what a wonderful heart that girl has – her final speech showed her humility and sweet personality and love for her friends Jess and Carly, and sent her skyrocketing in my personal estimation of her. What a great girl.

The boys I was less worried about; I had Douggie pegged to go out of the lot of them before he was even in the bottom 3, and when he was put there with Nick and Kieran, the decision was pretty brainless. Kieran I just felt so sorry for – he came out for his solo with the biggest smile and a really great attitude, but when he was in the bottom two, his face just looked shattered – poor guy, because he didn’t deserve to be there.

Nick’s was my favourite boy solo by a long shot, and the more I see him the more I think that everything about Nick’s personal style is exactly what I love about dance – his lyrical contemporary style is my favourite, and he always chooses amazing songs to dance to. He’s just brilliant at what he does, and his solo last night demonstrated that. Douggie I think is full of tricks and is probably a good dancer, but he’s consistently failed to demonstrate that – I agree with Sophie about being in big trouble when a judge questions your CV! He was good but not standing up when the situation required.

I am also hugely excited to see what this new pairing of Nick and Jess is going to bring. Please, God, give them a good genre and choreographer… I can’t wait to see what they’re going to be like. Go Nick & Jess 😀

Other random comments – I think I might be in love with Adam Lambert. I know as a girl that’s going to get me nowhere, but oh my gosh! Loved his music (I’m not a follower of American Idol so I’d never heard him before), loved his use of backup dancers to enhance the song (much better than Taylor Swift’s dancers), loved his cheeky personality and shimmies with Natalie onstage – I’m definitely going to get his CD! What an awesome guy 😀

And also huge props to Steven Page (sp?) and the opening routine… wow, just wow. It was gorgeous! I spent the whole time looking at the pairings though and wondering if sometime soon SYTYCD will make the decision to change the pairs up weekly before they get to the Top 10…

6 alicat { 03.05.10 at 10:36 am }

Oh one more thing – HAIRSPRAY!! What a brilliant contract… poor whoever wins having to choose between all those prizes! Meanwhile, I’ll be running off to ticketek… hahaha :)

7 akris { 03.05.10 at 2:50 pm }

It’s not just teenyboppers voting for Izzie and Don… i know someone who knows Don and they have ALOT of people voting for him as well….

so much for voting for dancing…

8 Fee { 03.05.10 at 7:53 pm }

They made the right choice of those available by eliminating Grace – her facial expressions were really annoying, especially after Jason had made such a scene about the girl’s facial gyrations during the auditions, how come he never pulled Grace up for doing worse faces? Her look just didn’t fit and somehow she wasn’t connecting with people. Doug, I liked very much he seems so nice and very talented dancer, but he just hasn’t delivered and it could be down to chemistry (or lack of it), Jess just seemed to overpower him physically and emotionally. I’m glad they didn’t get rid of Kieran, he is so cute and still has a lot to give. Don and Issy were pretty lucky….

9 KC { 03.05.10 at 8:00 pm }

I personally thought it wasn’t a problem that the judges discussed their thoughts beforehand. They only get like what, a commercial break, to discuss the solos and you can’t determine if a dancer should stay only based on their solo because that is barely enough to determine how good a dancer is.

No one said they decided who they were going to pick in the break. They discussed it and I don’t think there really is much problem with it especially since yesterday’s bottom 3 was a difficult choice cause no one was an obvious pick to be out.

10 scub { 03.10.10 at 3:29 pm }

I’m not watching SYTYCD this year – I simply can’t stand the judges. Bonnie and Matt offer nothing constructive and, Jason, it’s not about you, fella. Yeh?