My Kitchen Rules – Strawberries Again Prove To Be A Poison Challis

What is it with South Australian’s and strawberries? Andre from Masterchef Australia cooked that appalling Strawberry Risotto, and tonight Mel and Paul cooked Kangaroo and Strawberry Sauce. I know the SA couple think fruit and game go together. But personally I don’t think strawberries should be anywhere but on a dessert, and definitely not slopped on kangaroo.

Props to Paul and Mel for taking risks with their menu of Beetroot Gnocchi with blue cheese, sage and macadamia nuts, but again it was a disaster for them with not enough time with some weird prep techniques. I don’t think I have ever seen potato put into a blender then a mixer.

Conversely I thought the Victorian’s boy’s entree was a tad predictable with the combination of scallops with cauliflower. But they did it well and it looked delicious. It must have been near perfect if judge Pete Evans was bitching about some of the nearly overdone leeks.

I thought their main of Trevally with harissa crust, tabouli, and tahini looked delicious, and was original. Also I thought the Victorian boy’s menu was more thematic and went together better with a Middle Eastern flavoured theme. Their dessert of cigar fingers, with figs and cardamon ice cream looked fantastic. I know the judges loved the gold decoration, personally I did not think it was required, and was a bit of an affectation.

Well what can you say about Mel and Paul’s dessert? The sticky date pudding was missing the stickiness, and looked dried out and were there strawberries on the plate as well? I would hope by this stage they were drinking the left over Rose’ from their main fiasco.

Clint and Noah were scored as follows:

Karen Martini scored – 8, Tobie Puttock – 8, Jacquie Gowan – 8, and Guy Grossi – 8. Manu Feidel and Pete Evans scored gave them eights. For a total score of 48 out of 60.

Karen Martini thought Mel and Paul was to far left field and gave them a three. Tobie also hit them with a  three, whereas Jacquie, and Guy were more generous with fours. Manu gave them a four, and Pete a three. With a total of 21.

So the competition front runners Mel and Paul were eliminated. I have mixed feelings about it, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

1 Wurstsemmel { 03.15.10 at 10:14 pm }

Well, therein lies the rub. I loathed the SA couple but the past couple of episodes, there’s been very little snarkiness. Not that it matters anyway as the boys deserved to win hands down. The SA menu was a muddle and the idea of a strawberry snything on meat is a stomach churned for me.

But what had happened to Manu? Maybe it wasy colour setting but he seemed a touch tandoori? Even Pete looked like he’d been hitting the spray tan. And what was Manu wearing looked like some illfitting formal jacket from the. 70s?

2 Anonymous { 03.16.10 at 12:02 am }

Ok it looked like SA deserved to lose. Cooking bloody italian entree again… well i warned you.
the editorials were so predictable i wanted to stop watching after 10 minutes as it was obvious who was going to win.
SA were like the Crows… choked at the semi finals.
VICS were arsey… they admitted they had no idea whether the fish was cooked or not. it could have come out totally boofed.
As i said b4 this is a popularity contest. Even the judges oohs and aahs for the Vics were choreographed.
Also obvious who the other contestants were barracking for! especially the copper. guess they all thought the vics would be easier to beat in the finals.
Now for the TOTAL BULLSHIT!
Is anyone going to seriously suggest that each and every one of the SA dishes was the absolute worst cooked throughout this entire BULLSHIT competition???????????????? Worse than the burnt camp oven stew? worse than the boofed fish? cant remember the other car crashes and dont care anyway. Cock and bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Manu disliked them so much that this was his pitiful way of publicly humilitating them, well he’s worse than i thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (and i’d better not say what i really think of him)
Why not just pick up one of their dishes and “pie” it into their faces? would have given the same effect!
At least they copped it sweet with dignity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So what price the copper now?
OK I’m a sore loser, but fuck you MKR you’ve lost me just as much as Master-bate.

3 sourkraut { 03.16.10 at 12:03 am }

In case you hadn’t guessed “anonymous” above is moi

4 Wurstsemmel { 03.16.10 at 6:33 am }

Somehow I knew that, Sourkraut :)

You know, even the SA team knew they’d well and truly stuffed the entree. It appeared every meal was stuffed in one way or another. So how could they not get boofed?

5 TDK { 03.16.10 at 7:41 am }

With all due respect, here are my observations:

– The Vic boys tried, from the very start to the very end, they didn’t wasted any seconds of their allocated times, and always on their feet. Burnt fingers? Shows their dedications. On the other side, the SA couples did not seemed too worried, if they were in control, then alright, but from what I saw, they too were running out of time, but it’s in their nature to take it easy I think. If they lose, they lose, don’t worry about putting in the extra effort to rush.

– Was it Manu or Pete that bounced the SA’s gnocchi on the table? I thought that was hilarious. So sourkraut, yes, that was probably the worse dish of the competition thus far. Imagine trying to chew down hardened chewing gum, hrm…

That is all.

6 CG { 03.16.10 at 9:47 am }

Last night’s episode was just not believable. Surely the SA team would have tried cooking their beetroot gnocchi in a practice round before establishing their menu? The fact it was all such a disaster just doesn’t add up. And the problem with the Roo didn’t seem to be so much how it was cooked but the cut of meat / meat itself. Who is responsible for that?

It seems MKR is going the way of Ch9’s HomeMade. Instead of letting the QLD couples cook off and finishing out this round, the previews suggest they will have a “cookoff” and that tonight is the second last show with the grand finale next Tuesday? Why aren’t they finishing out this round properly and then have the final three cook off over two episodes?

I thought ratings were ok if not improving? Is a second season really assured? Or maybe the show didn’t get picked up in the UK or another market like MC and that is the reason they are pulling the plug early?

7 Jenny { 03.16.10 at 1:09 pm }

Spot on again Reality Raver! I was thinking the exact same thing about the strawberries – why are wannabee chefs so in love with them? They never work in anything except dessert! I also think a similar thing happened with strawberries and another wannabee chef in one of Gordon Ramsay’s shows (I can’t remember exactly which one).

Anyway despite their narkiness I actually liked Paul & Mel’s themed dinner the best out of the initial team of contestants (the one where they scored the highest). The dinner was exciting and different and I liked their adventurous side with the red and black theme. Also the food looked simple, yummy and edible.

However I agree totally Reality Raver that last night Mel & Paul served food that looked pretty crap. It’s ok to be adventurous with food but you have to also know your basics and what food goes together best. I mean beetroot and gnocchi together! A travesty. So Mel & Paul definitely deserved to be sent home. The VIC boys totally surprised me last night considering the only way they got through the first round was through their Mum’s chocolate dessert recipe (making me think they were Mummy’s Boys). Oh well MKR will be interesting tonight.

8 sourkraut { 03.16.10 at 1:19 pm }

wursts s
are you seriously telling me that each course they presented was the very absolute utter wurst sorry worst presentation of the ENTIRE competition. come off it!
Iagree with everyone, they stuffed up and did NOTdeserve to win on the night in any way shape or form, but to orchestrate 3s for each dish was a joke. I guess that’s what happens when you boof with the judges. I suppose they should have learned from the other SA couple who also “did not find favour in the eyes of the lord”

9 akris { 03.16.10 at 1:35 pm }

I think the difference sourkraut is that in all the other ‘restaurants’.. for example the burnt camp oven disaster there was redeeming parts of the dish or the meal i think in this instance some of the meat tasted beautiful and their dessert was good.. however with Mel and Paul last night all 3 dishes weren’t up to par.. and they didn’t say much (any?) positive things about any of the meals. It’s just harder to compare because there are 6 guest judges giving a point to the entire meal, rather than giving individual points for Entree, Main and Dessert. Maybe that’s a scoring discrepancy that they should consider changing for next season.. to have consistent points scoring systems? Every judge gives points for each Entree, Main and dessert but of course to present it faster. There would also be more cliffhanger(?) moments if they did it team1: entree score team2: entree score etc etc… but i don’t know.. all i know is that it seems a bit inconsistent

I do like that there is transparency in points though.. for example there was times in Masterchef where someone would win over the other and there was no explanation at all and the viewer was left wondering “why”? or “is it rigged”?

10 Jenny { 03.16.10 at 1:41 pm }

Oh just to add what is it with Mossy and the VIC boys? Mossy always cheers them on and even went in to the kitchen to give them a morale boost in the episode where the VIC Boys first cooked in (the themed dinner party). I think that is nice of Mossy but I also do find it a bit creepy and blokish at the same time – like he is looking out for the blokes (a boy’s club). I didn’t notice Mossy doing it for anyone else. Maybe the producers make him do it. Anyhow I just find it weird considering they are all supposed to be competing against each other. Then again maybe there is a back story to it – that Mossy & the boys bonded the most or Mossy felt that they were the most nervous.

11 Wurstsemmel { 03.16.10 at 1:51 pm }

Nope, Sourkraut, I didn’t say all the SA teams courses were the wurst in the competition, I said they’d stuffed up each course in some way…the entree was a purple playdoh disaster, can’t say much else about it…….the strawberries and roo combo didn’t see to tickle anyones fancy….the meat was tough and overcooked but I’m not overly convinced by that…..the puddings were soggy (I think?) and wintery compared to the tropical fruit sideserve. Overall, their menu didn’t make sense. Worst of the competition? I’d wager the gnocchi was up there with the worst. There was no redeeming element of that course unless you fancy a quick game of tennis with Manu – the judges can be a little mean at times.

I agree with Akris, I’d like to have seen separate scores for each course.

12 dmc { 03.16.10 at 3:26 pm }

If the SA dishes tasted as bad as the judges appeared to find them, then 3s and 4s made perfect sense. I, for one, found it refreshing that the SA team’s food was rated accurately in terms of judges reactions and we weren’t treated to a contrived, ‘it all comes down to the last judge’ scenario.

13 Fides { 03.16.10 at 5:08 pm }

Jenny, my impression of Mossy and the VIC boys was that he was thinking of them like they were his sons. I think Mossy and Gabe have 4 sons/2 daughters so that was my impression of him being all paternal when he went to give the boys some encouragement during their dinner party. I also remember him shouting “go girls” to the Qld sisters and really barracking for them during their cook-off last week.

I’m just curious to know what the rules are for this part of the competition. The SA team used a muffin maker for their puddings – I’m assuming that a standard or restaurant kitchen probably wouldn’t have a muffin maker amongst its usual appliances … so I guess that means they must have submitted their menus, ingredients and recipes so the producers would know exactly what they needed.

Which is why I’m finding this part of the competition rather dull and while I know MKR is at pains to stress they are nothing like Masterchef, I definitely prefer the “thinking on your feet” element of MC.

14 Boris { 03.16.10 at 5:47 pm }

Fides- unfortunately Masterchef is far more contrived than the public sees. In by far the majority of tasks they are given notice in advance of the days challenges ahead. The ‘thinking on your feet’ element, is just what the producers want you to see.

15 Reality Raver { 03.16.10 at 9:09 pm }

I know I am about to make a big call but I think the kangaroo and strawberry sauce is the worse dish I have seen either on MKR or Masterchef Australia. Inedible.

CG – yes it is definitely going into a second season, but I don’t know whether it will screen this year or next.

Fides – I agree with you, they are getting to make stuff they have always made, albeit under time pressure. I would like to see them thrown a curve ball.

DMC – it would have been insulting to the viewer if they had tried to drag it out.

Wurst and Akris – I disagree re: the itemised scores as the scoring bit of the show is so dragged out.

Jenny – I think the other teams are placed on either end of the set so they can only see one of the teams cooking therefore it looks like they are only barracking for one team.

Sourkraut – LOL – amusing as always.

Boris – I kind of figured they just wouldn’t have a pigs head, or obscure asian ingredients in the pantry.

16 akris { 03.16.10 at 11:11 pm }

Reality Raver: Totally agree scoring drags it out but I think it’s better to keep scoring consistent throughout the competition. And i do like that they give a score for each dish because then we know what was the standouts and flops. But they should present it so that it is less time consuming. Maybe overall mark with just a screen shot of the individual points? I don’t know.. just consistency is good. I feel like the guess judges was an after thought and therefore they had to change the points system. Just my 2c

17 Sourkraut { 03.16.10 at 11:26 pm }

Raver
You are dead set raving now!
if the strawberry roo was really worse than the strawberry risotto, I’ll walk backwards barefoot to Bourke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least Manu “swallowed”

18 Reality Raver { 03.16.10 at 11:37 pm }

Akris – The whole point of this blog is for people to be able to have their 2 cents worth.

Sourkraut – I could have at least had a few mouthful’s of the risotto, and there was champagne in it. Also Manu “swallowing” indicates he is not afraid of showing his masculinity…

19 Sourkraut { 03.17.10 at 8:40 pm }

Sorry raver. you’re still wrong!
The so-called koftas read RAW INSIDE ORDINARY RISSOLES would also have been far worse.
Wher’es your sense of adventure? All youse modern “foodies’ out there, you should be trying something new, not like old farts like me.
Anyhoo, why waste good champers on bloody risotto (of any kind) I would have loved to have seen Joanna Lumley come out in that ep with a bottle of vodka. Then it would have been stolly bolly rice FOLLY how jolly
Popularity contest BAH!