My Kitchen Rules – Cry Me A River

God it was a tsunami of tears tonight on My Kitchen Rules, the winners were crying, the loser’s were crying and even Pete Evans teared up. Obviously the producers were trying to tell the viewer just how much this competition means to the competitor now we are at the pointy end.

Um by the way what is the prize? On Masterchef Australia, they pimped it every night telling us about that cookbook, but Channel Seven have been strangely quiet about it. Is it $100,000? Or did they say previously that it was something amazing but they just had not announced it? Anyway we will find out next week. Maybe it will be a Mastermind trophy. By the way when is a TV channel going to bring back that show, I am sure they could coerce Huw Evans out of retirement.

I thought the food in the semi final, between Gen and Tanja, and Shadi and Veronica rocked, and is perhaps the first time apart from the Victorian boys meals, where I would have been happy to eat all of the dishes. Except maybe next time Shadi could wear a tennis headband so his sweat would not drip into the food.

Shadi and Veronica kept their menu firmly entrenched in the Italian comfort zone. I was a bit sceptical about the eggplant parmigana as I always find that a bit oily but the judges raved about it. Also I thought it was a ballsy move to make their own sausage. And yes I did notice the way Manu Feildel pronounced saus – sage.

The producers appear to try and create drama over nothing – they were showing the girls stressing over the  undercooked pastry cases of the leek and gruyere tart, but they had plenty of time. The limencello chicken also looked delicious. It must have been a tough call for the judges.

Lucky for guest judge Karen Martini she does not live in New York as she would be pretty upset at the legislation that a politician has introduced saying restaurants that use salt should be fined. Most of her criticisms surrounded seasoning of dishes. For those foodies thinking of cancelling their trip to New York,  I doubt the legislation will be passed. Or  maybe you could just stick to desserts and hope they are past the salted caramel fad.

I really like how both teams, the players interact with each other, it is all very respectful. And I thought both teams plating up enhanced their food.

Shadi and Veronica pipped Gen and Tanja with Jacquie Gowan giving a low score of 6 to the Qld girls.

Then after the married couple made it through to the top three, they did not get to rest for long, as they were told only two were making it through to the finals. Clint and Noah were given a spot because they were the highest scorers in the semi’s. And then it was a cook off, where the teams had to cook their favourite dish for the judges.

Mossy and Gabe cooked Poisson De Coeur (Meaning fish from the heart for the three readers who have not be brushing up on their french, just in case Manu asked them out on a date)  – Ocean Trout confit, served with chive oil, and green vegetables. I have to confess I have never thought of marinating salmon with cointreau, but I am not adverse to it.

Shadi and Veronica bravely took on the MKR curse of making fresh pasta, serving this with a pancetta, silverbeet, ricotta and goats cheese sauce.

Both team came a bit unstuck, with Mossy cooking the fish on too high a temperature. Whilst Veronica was trying to get the pasta to the right texture.

In the end the pasta won out. The fish was thought to be overcooked, and the hollandaise sauce was not plated up as it had split, so Shadi and Veronica made it into the final.

So both teams in the final will have only cooked four times to have gotten there. Not bad, similar to the Masterchef show in England perhaps?

Then Mossy was in tears, and Gabby had to tell us how unlike Mossy that was, just to amp it up a bit more.  Did I tear up? No.

1 jonathan { 03.16.10 at 11:04 pm }

sorry but peter evans biggest selling chicken dish is pizza based so raving about the chicken is just embarrassing !for him and everyone watching

2 akris { 03.16.10 at 11:16 pm }

I’m glad Shadi and Veronica got to the finals.. their food never feels too contrived and i always feel like eating after i see their meals. With some of the rest I am impressed by their cooking skills but don’t necessarily make me want to eat. I would like them to win but I think the boys will take it out especially after Manu’s the winner will be a surprise comment.

3 Anon { 03.17.10 at 12:08 am }

Was it just me or did anyone else find the number of times Veronica and Shadi called each other ‘honey’ grating? It was almost enough to switch off.

The top four teams appeared to be the most pleasant people out of the series but I was sitting there wondering how genuine (the niceness) was ?

4 Wurstsemmel { 03.17.10 at 5:26 am }

t think someone commented yesterday that it would be more of a test at this stage for contestants. To be given ingredients and have to devise a menu rather than trot out tried and tested recipes. Of course, then I might have missed out on Manu’s repeat expressions of ‘saus-age’ as RR kindly reminds us. Made up for the lack of a single “boof’. Bien sur…not that I am brushing up my French, RR 😉

The food looked great and it must have been a really tough call. I’m glad to see Shadi and Veronica through. I haven’t seen the full cookoff between Them and Mossy and Gabby yet in full because I got seduced by Survivor and wanting to see what happened to Boston Rob and so taped the end of this.

I do find this show guilty of the same crime as MC in that a lot of the drama appears constructed and overblown but the one thing I did appreciate in contrast over MC was Pete Evans commenting on what was going wrong and then saying as a judge he couldn’t say anything. Take note George, Garry and Matt.

This show is always going to be a pale imitator of MC unless they reformulate it before Series 2. I don’t mind the cook at home element upfront but also need to find some new angles for later., overhaul the scoring system and avoid some of those MC cliches which were irritating in MC yet alone here, even when delivered by Manu. See? I’m not really that shallow! Boof’.

5 CG { 03.17.10 at 9:18 am }

I’m glad they stuck with the format and let the two QLD cook off to finish the semi-finals but I think the sudden death cook-off between QLD and NSW as silly. If you made it this far, why should it all come down to one dish? I pick the VIC boys for the win (as I did on this blog a few weeks ago, ha!), esp given Manu said the winner was a surprise.

I’m struggling with the format and what should be done to change it. It is “MKR” so this may justify why they don’t have the teams cook spontaneously…ie it is supposed to be about the team’s own recipes from their home kitchens. However, the problem is that the teams are not really improving. On MC you see the progression as the contestants learn techniques each week. But on MKR the feedback is so limited that they don’t really improve week-to-week and in some ways, the audience is learning bad cooking and bad technique!

If there is to be a series 2 (and they were running ads to recruit last night), they definitely need to fix the scoring system (not reveal competitor scores during round 1). As for the format, I don’t think it would hurt to add in a few rounds of giving them a common set of ingredients and getting them to come up with a dish a la MC. Or, how about this, getting the other team to cook the other team’s “favourite” recipe? (although I suppose that could lead to some unerhanded tactics).

On the guest judges, I really like Jackie Gowan because she says what she thinks. But I can see her directness being offputting to some and thus why she was knocked out as a full-time series judge. That said, sorry girls, but Manu is just a wet noodle. Pete has grown on me but they need to consider replacing or supplementing Manu next round. Then again, perhaps he is a big part of the ratings with a certain segment of viewers? Mon Dieu!

When does MC start?

6 Wurstsemmel { 03.17.10 at 10:33 am }

Sacre bleu CG! Go was your mouth outwith beetroot gnocchi.

7 Fides { 03.17.10 at 11:31 am }

Yes you don’t really get to see the teams learning new skills here. They might just learn what temperature to confit at… for next time in their home kitchen.

Anon : it wasn’t so much the “honey” that irritated me with Shadi and Veronica yesterday, it was that I found Veronica so bossy! OK, it was Italian, and she’s the Italian of the duo, but it still really bugged me.

What I do like about the MKR kitchen is that digital clock – especially in the last minute. I’m sure the teams don’t need that extra pressure, but I’m a sucker for it as a viewer. It also means that those last 10 seconds are indeed 10 seconds – not 10 seconds at the judges’ discretion which is how it sometimes looked over at MC.

8 themolk { 03.17.10 at 5:45 pm }

My frustration is nearly complete. See my tweets from last night. We have to survive only one more ep… bring on MasterChef to cleanse this experience from my psyche immediately.

9 dmc { 03.17.10 at 6:41 pm }

I agree that this show needs more variation. However I don’t find it much worse than MasterChef.

10 Sourkraut { 03.17.10 at 8:58 pm }

CG
We totally agree again. At this stage you should be questioning your or my or both of our sanities
Wurst s
Your “boof” wins the prize for the most cliched phrase (even if it was my fault). ….a dinner of rubber gnocci and boofed fish and raw rissoles courtesy manu’s kitchen
CG
again
How are the raw imgredients supplied for the cook-off? Do they have to get them themselves a la the first round or do the MKR people supply it
Also is there a top monetary value on what is allowed to be cooked in the kitchen cook-offs? If not why were more exotic expensive ingredients not used? It smells of boofed fish.
as you said earlier, the SA couple would have cooked that glop b4, I find it hard to believe how badly they fucked up!
Likewise the previous SA couple and the roast spuds. Surely they had cooked this stuff a million times and succeeded 999,999 times in getting them crisp even without boofed bouer.
PS funnily enough i woz unable to squeeze out a single tear from this incredibly flinty old heart!

11 CG { 03.17.10 at 10:09 pm }

Oh, Sour….you’ve set MKR (and MC) a challenge!!! Who will be the first to squeeze a tear from your flinty old heart! Surely if the VIC boyz pull out a victory you will get a little choked up! Ha!

12 Sand { 03.22.10 at 2:41 pm }

Hello there!

Just wanted to know if someone could tell me when the show was repeated. I thought it was repeated on Sundays 12:30pm, but couldn’t see anything… and I am going to miss the Finale tonight!!! Help! (and don’t have access to internet these days at home, so can’t catch up on MKR’s website). Thank you in advance!

13 Reality Raver { 03.22.10 at 3:13 pm }

Sand – there is a repeat tomorrow on 7two (seven’s second free to air station) at 4.30pm. Hopefully you can get home in time for it.

Any chance of getting someone to tape it for you?

14 Sand { 03.22.10 at 3:27 pm }

Mmmh, will look into that… Thank you! :-)