So You Think You Can Dance – We Have Our Top Four – Woo Hoo

Were people going to vote for the dancing or the dancer’s tonight? If the Australia vote for the dancing this will mean Jess S should be in the top four based on last night’s show.

I thought the girls solo’s were much stronger than the guys. They were all still in hoochie mode as they wore underwear as costumes.

I thought Robbie’s solo was particularly disappointing (RR expects to be flamed for this comment) but it was all tricks and not a lot of dancing.

Channel Ten decided to maintain the suspense of the top four by putting Robbie and Jessie through first. Ivy was the second girl through, I thought Robbie and Jessie did not look real thrilled by that.

Great news that Phillipe got through to the top four, and Nick was eliminated. Was the blonde girl in the audience they flashed to his fiance? I think it was as she had a diamond ring on the appropriate finger. Though she won’t be too thrilled that he did not really thank her in his speech. However he gave God a big thanks – but why does he presume God is a male?

Anyway the right top four occurred. Next weeks episode is going to pop as did that fantastic routine the Sydney Dance Company did tonight.

1 Anonymous { 04.08.10 at 10:51 pm }

RR, I have to disagree with you. If Australia votes for the dancing, based on the competition, Jessie H and Ivy are definitely the girls for the Top 4. And the same for the episode last night. And I say that as a (former) Jess S fan.

But I completely agree with you re: Robbie’s solo. Everything you said is spot on, and I’d like to add that I just couldn’t believe him – it was like a petulant child throwing a tantrum trying to be a Real Man. (But I think Robbie is genuinely lovely and is already very much a man, despite everyone’s over-the-top cries about his height!)

Jessie H’s solo was AMAZING. Damn, her control and musicality… I would very much like her to win.

SDC were fab, but the camera work was shocking – then again, I have come to expect that with this show.

Not thrilled about nuance-less prop-reliant Tyce choreographing. By the way NatBass was building it up, I thought Wade was going to be the choreographer. Sadly, not to be… :(

But yes, Jessie FTW! Picture Talia and Jessie dancing in a winner’s duet thing or something. The lines and musicality would be out of this world. DANCE HEAVEN.

2 josie { 04.08.10 at 11:21 pm }

Yeah I agree Robbie’s solo was very disappointing and I cringed watching phillipe’s solo. The girls definitely outdanced the boys but I still want Robbie to win.

3 Anonymous { 04.08.10 at 11:36 pm }

GO IVY AND JESSIE!

4 Gabriel { 04.08.10 at 11:49 pm }

funny – I loved Phillippe’s solo. Smooth Criminal? Moon walking? After all that sensitive lyrical shit and opera from the previous night it was such a relief. I was like, woah! Admittedly doing Michael Jackson moves doesn’t really do anyone favours … unless they’re Michael Jackson, although I did see a salsa dancer make a pretty good fist of it last year.
I noticed the non-Ivy love from Jessie and Robbie too.

5 par3182 { 04.09.10 at 1:54 am }

I think the dancers did as well; note the way Robbie’s expression went from awestruck to ho-hum when Nat revealed it was Tyce ‘No Talent’ Diorio.

I’m very happy Phillipe made it through (where’s your god now, Nick?); but I’m fully expecting Robbie or Ivy to be the last dancer standing.

6 dina { 04.09.10 at 8:22 am }

I don’t think it’s fair to relate those two’s reaction with the fact that it’s Ivy going through. The fact is just that Robbie and Jessie H. are very close to Jess, that explains why they looked disappointed that she missed the spot. Besides, At this stage of comp, they’re all pretty close to one another, losing anyone would evoke that emotion. It’s rather inappropriate to overjoy over anyone joining them to top 4. I watched their reaction when Phil was announced as the last person through, and Rob’s and Jess’ reactions were pretty much the same.

7 akris { 04.09.10 at 10:34 am }

I still haven’t watched it.. except the ending.. but just to add my 2c anyways.. I was hoping, and I think the dancers were too hence why they didn’t seem to excited, that it would be Wade Robson.. but it’s Tyce.. But i think he’s really improved and hasn’t been replying too much on props. no, he’s not a mia or wade, but the last two seasons he had standout routines, one even winning the emmy (not my fave of that season though). The cancer routine from 2 seasons ago was really amazing choreography and very touching.

oh.. and lastly… I watched the boys routine again last night… maybe 5 times more! hehe..

Jessie H and Robbie top 2!

8 alicat { 04.09.10 at 11:09 am }

Hurrah for the awesome top 4 😀 I’m super happy with them… obviously I’m still gunning for Robbie to win, but I think all 4 dancers deserve to be standing there, and I’d find a reason to be happy if any of the other 3 won.

I didn’t like the group routine at the start of the show at all, and was surprised to realise it was Supple choreographing – I usually like his stuff. Oh well, no matter. Agree with RR, Robbie’s solo was all about the tricks. It wasn’t that great but his split jumps still give me goosebumps. I loved Phillipe’s MJ routine purely for the concept hehehe 😀 But yes I agree with everyone else, girls outdanced the boys while wearing pretty much only underwear. Ho hum. Random note – loved the dresses Ivy and Jess were wearing during the elimination – so pretty 😀

Yeah I don’t think you can blame Robbie and Jessie for not being ecstatic when Nick and Jess were eliminated. It’s not that they dislike Ivy/Phillipe, it’s that it’s rude to be celebrating heaps when your friend’s just lost their place in the comp. I actually thought the connection between the dancers last night was lovely, they all seemed to be really close and happy for each other. It was good.

Looking forward to next week! 5 dances… that’s going to be awesome! Come on Robbie come on… 😀

9 JoySant { 04.09.10 at 11:35 am }

I was in the audience last night to watch Robbie get into the Grand Final and I’d just like to say that his solo, watched live, was so good. It was strong and I think it did show Robbie’s masculinity which was his intention. To be fair, sometimes the dances look completely different on television to how they look live. You had to be there to see how very strong it really was. I was also in the audience to see Robbie and Jess’s clown routine the other night and I have to say, when I watched it at home, I enjoyed it much more. It was a very sensitive piece and it was difficult to pick up on that when sitting so far away. It was just so beautiful on television.

There have been some negative comments on this forum with regard to the outcome of the show being pre-determined because of “the judge’s favouritism”, that is, Robbie to win. You had to be there last night when the whole audience erupted as Robbie was announced as Top 4. It was amazing. The roof nearly caved in. There are groups here and there of supporters for all the dancers but Robbie’s supporters are numerous and everywhere and they absolutely love him. There are so many of them, and the judges can’t possibly influence that. People can see for themselves what a brilliant dancer he is, and what a sweetheart he is, and that is why they are supporting him.

With regard to the “non-Ivy love from Robbie and Jessie” nothing could be further from the truth. They’ve all become close and they really support each other. Again, you had to be there to see how they really interact. There is a “pit” to the left of the dancefloor which isn’t shown much on the show but the kids wait down there whenever anything is going on on stage. Robbie, Ivy and Jessie all had their arms around each other, they were holding hands and kissing each other, waiting for the decision on Nick and Phillipe. And there were hugs all round when Phillipe joined them. None of that was shown on tv. I’ve been to a few eliminations and you could cut the air with a knife, it is so heavy with tension. Getting into Top 4 is a huge achievement and it would be hard for the dancers to gather their thoughts after the shock and excitement of getting through. They are all a great bunch of kids and they’ve taken on a lot, and they all deserve great things.

Lastly, Jason Coleman seems to cop a bit of flack for his criticisms, and I know that he has been especially critical of Nick. But all the dancers at one stage or another have copped it from Jason. Let me say though that, criticisms aside, Jason seems to really respect the kids. Last night during commercial breaks he went down to the pit to hug and congratulate the Top 4 (after walking through the audience and handing out lollies ha ha) and when Nick and Jess finished their goodbyes on stage Jason instigated a standing ovation for them. I’ve also seen him go over to a dancer in the ad break who is about to “dance for their life” to offer some encouragement and calm their nerves.

Just my two cents worth :-)

10 noname { 04.09.10 at 1:28 pm }

Congratulations to the Top4.

All the dancers in the Top 20 have been great at one time or another. I believe the Top 4 have been more consistent and appealing to the public.

Good luck to all of them. They have a hard week ahead of them both emotionally and physically.

Some positive feedback would go a long way at this stage of the competition.

After all there can only be one winner!

I hope if its a boy it will be ROBBIE

And if its a girl well i’m blown away by both Ivy and Jessie H so either will be fine by me.

11 Reality Raver { 04.09.10 at 2:17 pm }

Joysant – Great to get a live audience perspective. And obviously we only get to see what is edited on Ten. However, I would have thought it was a given that Jess was going to be eliminated, considering the number of times she has landed in the bottom.

but maybe your right that it is not appropriate to celebrate someone elses elimination. But I thought they both had an eww look on their face.

I don’t think this forum has been at all negative about Robbie, in fact the first time was last night was the only time I have been critical of his dancing.
I thought it was a bit strange, considering one of his strengths other than his technique is the emotion he conveys. It just reminded me of a Anthony Ikin type solo, and Robbie is better than that. I mean I could just see him dancing in that Sydney Dance Company piece last night.

I think there has been accusations of favouritism towards Jess and Ivy at certain stages of the competition. However I have to admit I was wrong about Ivy she was a better dancer/performer then I first thought.

It is interesting what you say about the Project Moda dance that it came across better on TV, but probably because of all the acting in it.

I think Jason’s role is to be the critical judge or the tough judge, gets all the dancers seeking his approval.

Gabriel and alicat – Maybe I didn’t like PHillipe’s routine so much because he was wearing too many clothes. LOL. Made me notice his technique a bit more. I thought Ivy and Jessie’s were the stand out routines.

Dina you are probably right to regarding cheering when a person was being culled. They just looked a bit stunned I thought.

Akris and Par3182 – Have you seen the documentary/movie the making of A chorus Line. It is about the behind the scenes look of the making of the broadway production A Chorus Line. Tyce was in the running to land one of the leads, but his ego got in the way. It was hilarious. Since then I have never been a big fan. But he may have had the last laugh, because he has international name recognition. BTW way Tyce can dance fabulously well.

Anonymous and Josie – If Robbie or Jessie don’t win I will be surprised, but if I was betting person my money would be on Robbie particularly after what Joysant has written

12 Reality Raver { 04.09.10 at 2:19 pm }

No Name – without a doubt all four of them could make a career in dance. If I was Phillipe I would also consider acting.

13 par3182 { 04.09.10 at 8:01 pm }

RR – that A Chorus Line doco escalated my Tyce dislike into white hot hatred; what a tool. An Emmy award winning tool, but a tool nonetheless.

14 Laura { 04.09.10 at 10:00 pm }

Ooo I want to see that doco!

I’m very happy with the top 4 :) Yes, Jess S probably should have been there if it was purely based on the last performance show, but she was subpar all season (and a judge’s favourite) so I definitely think it was her time to go.

I’d like Ivy to win, hopefully she gets some breathtaking choreography next week.

15 Zibb { 04.09.10 at 10:42 pm }

I have to say that I loved that phillipe wore a black armband on his Micheal Jackson costume. And now I would be really happy if any of the top four won, they are my favourites. I am also reallyexited for all the routines, and for ivy and Robbie to dance together again

16 akris { 04.09.10 at 11:56 pm }

I finally watched it..

Only thing I can add that hasn’t already been mentioned is how annoying it was that I was enjoying Jessie H’s solo and then the crowd started shouting 10, 9, 8 … I know they do it for everyone.. but can they not when the music is soft and slow?

Overall I loved Ivy and Jessie’s Solo.. but Ivy’s more because the countdown wasn’t annoying..

probably a good thing i haven’t seen A Chorus Line then.. :) but I have noticed that he doesn’t have an air of humility about him

17 alicat { 04.10.10 at 8:04 am }

^^ Hehehe good call Akris XD

RR, I agree, Phillipe’s MJ routine would’ve been better unclothed… just the hat and pants maybe?? Hahahaha 😀

I’m in a brilliant mood today coz I’m off to spend the day sitting in between Corin Nemec (Parker Lewis Can’t Lose) and Gareth somethingorotherwhatsit (Ianto from Torchwood) and just 2 seats away from JAMES MARSTERS (Spike from Buffy) and Alex Meraz (Paul from Twilight). Ahem. Could I name drop any more in that sentence?! Hahaha. Brissy Supanova is on, if any of my RR family are Brissy locals and sci-fi/anime/gaming geeks… or just want to perve on Spike and Ianto… come along to RNA Showgrounds today or tomorrow 😀 Going to be aaawesome 😀

18 josie { 04.10.10 at 8:36 am }

Ive been watching some of tyce’s choreography on youtube. Its actually pretty good. Im looking forward to seeing him next week.

19 JoySant { 04.10.10 at 10:07 am }

Akris: I’ve been to a few shows now and there is a guy on stage before filming starts and during ad breaks who kind of “primes” the audience. He gets everyone into a good mood, makes some jokes, gives some prizes away etc. He also directs everyone about how to act when the show is being filmed. When the cameras pan to us we have to smile and look excited etc. (which isn’t hard to do – it IS exciting and a lot of fun out there, I have a great time !). He tells us with hand signals when to start clapping and when to stop (I suppose this is so we don’t keep clapping over Natalie who’s trying to speak into the camera). Anyway he’s the one who tells everyone to do the countdown, and do it as loud as possible. It is for the dancer, so that they know they only have a few seconds left to finish their dance and they might like to use those last seconds to throw an extra trick in. I know it’s a bit annoying. I don’t actually do it because I’m too dumb to multi-task ha ha! I’m fixated on the dancer, I can’t count backwards at the same time :-)

20 akris { 04.10.10 at 8:04 pm }

If i was in the audience i would be like “sshhhhhh i’m watching.. stop ruining it!” haha..

lucky you get to be in the live audience.. i’ve tried so many times.. i think even every week in the first year but i’ve just given up now. I never get chosen. hhmmphhh channel 10!