Australia’s Got Talent – A Cautious Thumbs Up
Kyle Sandiland’s is back, rehabilitated after eight months in TV coventry. I noted in his opening montage that Kyle went through a flamboyant stage during his teenage years, but then it was the ’80’s.
I have to confess previously I have not watched Australia’s Got Talent much, as it has always seemed to be an extended version of Red Faces, including having Red Symons on the show. But the new panel and pre- show marketing hype has definitely drawn me in.
- Kyle Sandilands did bring energy to the panel and was very witty at times;
- Also the panel had chemistry and nice banter between them but Brian McFadden is not as funny as he thinks he is;
- KRap cracked me up but they buzzed him out, the show is ageist;
- Brianna the girl who sang musical theatre is she the new Nikki Webster? But probably with a better voice, so may avoid the ignomy of a Strawberry Kisses type single. I thought the guy with her was her grandfather not her dad.
- The Beaver Shaker’s the teen B-Boy dance crew were good, and I am glad they did not ask them how they got their name;
- Loved the roller troupee ok it was a bit raggedy but it was entertaining and anything that brings back memories of Starlight Express has to be a positive thing;
- Now I know they loved the 15 year old boy who sang Hallejulah, but seriously Danni Minogue the best version you have heard ever? Better than Jeff Buckley? Or even better than Australian Idol winner Damien Leith? I think she needs to gain a little perspective on it.
- Too many kids acts, and feelgood stories eg the KStar dance troupe, who were really good, did not need the heart tugging story to go with it;
- I know those elderly swinging couple (the dance not key party style) were cute but so are those kitten pictures on the internet, but seriously do we need to see them again?
- Why only 20 secs of the buffed male acrobat, but tonnes of footage on young kids;
- Brian McFadden trying to get into the barrel that the 14 year old contortionist was not funny;
- Taking the piss out of obvious mentally ill guy called Elvi Pes, there should be some Australian Reality TV Code of Practice against this; and
- Danni Minogue’s dress looked like they had recycled Mr Snuffluficous from Sesame Street.
The first episode had a nice fast pace to it, and thankfully the Red Faces type feel has been reduced, however it still has a bit of an end of year dance concert vibe to it. The new panel is a success and has made the show watchable, and I will definitely be tuning in again.
Oh and that Sydney lady who we see singing next week cannot be 42.