So You Think You Can Dance Australia – The Top Four

I believe I am fairly fluent in WTF but most of the time tonight I had no idea what guest judge and choreographer Tyce Diorio was on about. I suspect the same goes for the dancers who started just given Tyce polite smiles.

For those who have never seen him he is a choreographer and sometimes judge on the US show. Also for Broadway nuts you may have seen him in a documentary which filmed the making of the production of A Chorus Line. He manages to to portray a very good sense of self in the few scenes he is in the film. By the way when are they going to produce A Chorus Line again in Australia again. There is enough talent here, and the set is pretty low cost. Just a ballet barre and a few mirrors.

However I did love Tyce’s top four group routine, and the judges could not stop vomiting superlatives about it and Tyce.

The top four show for me is normally the best episode of the season, and tonight was no different.

Ivy and Robbie were good in the Rhumba, as Jason Coleman highlighted Robbie was doing a great job with the lifts considering he was shorter than Ivy.

Jessie’s and Phillipe’s  jazz number by Adam William’s was really great and I thought Jessie really shone.

I think Tyce was also thinking that , but I am not sure what he meant when he was talking about Jessie taking it far far away?

Robbie and Phillipe’s hip hop routine was good I am still not convinced about Robbie as a bad arsed hip hop dancer.

The end of the routine was more enjoyable then the first half, yes girls you know what I am talking about.

Robbie and Jessie danced a contemporary routine choreographed by their former teacher Jacqui Howard it was based on Avatar, now me and Bonnie Lythgoe are the only two people in Australia who has not seen the movie, but clearly it cannot be better then that routine it was mesmerising. Matt Lee was so overwhelmed by his fellow Brent St alumni he wept.

Phillipe and Ivy’s routine choreographed by Ludwig was enjoyable, however Jason Coleman did not think it was Phillipe’s best performance.

The Squared Division routine for Jessie and Ivy  was apparently set in 3010, I was a bit depressed that even in 1000 years time that girls still dressed as hoochies. Maybe the next feminist wave had come and gone. Hoochie or not the girls did dance it well.

I found Jessie’s solo irritating with the one pointe shoe on and I thought this made her look a bit clunky. I loved Robbie’s routine and thought it had the right balance this week of emotion and tricks.

Phillipe solo was ok but I thought he needed a bit more wow factor. Considering he is going to struggle to come above fourth place I thought a few tricks may have made him stand out a bit more from the pack.

Ivy has been consistently good throughout the competition, and her solo was no exception. However I just am not sure she will have the following to take out the prize. But then I said in a post at the start of the series that she would not make top 10, how wrong I was.

I think the title is between Jessie and Robbie. I think Robbie has the edge but it should be close.

1 Lisa { 04.15.10 at 12:28 am }

Haha, Tyce is my FAVORITE! He is crazy and yeah, sometimes he makes no sense. But I love him.

2 par3182 { 04.15.10 at 12:55 am }

i think they just put tyce on the panel so, at long last, somebody would talk more crap than bonnie

phillipe could’ve easily had his shirt off in all his dances; i really liked his effortless lifting of ivy in their contemporary (but her “confused look” at the end was the first time she’d failed at something this entire comp)

i’m perfectly happy with any of the four winning (but, let’s face it, robbie’s got this in the bag)

3 alicat { 04.15.10 at 9:11 am }

Everything Robbie was in last night was mesmerising.

I got goosebumps in the Rumba, loved his hip-hop with Phillipe, and thought the Avatar number was the best I’d seen all season. Hands down the boy should win.

^^ HAHAHA agree completely! Brilliant 😀 But they can have him back to talk crap again, I was completely mesmerised by his chiseled face… not in an attractive sense of the word, but man his jaw is chiseled… it was oddly fascinating haha.

I think it was bizarre that Matt Lee cried. What the hell?!

RR. Can’t believe you haven’t seen Avatar! Go see it, if only for the hotness that is Sam Worthington. Mmm :)

Robbie for the win 😀

4 Injera { 04.15.10 at 10:32 am }

I haven’t been watching this season, but this recap was fab, especially:

“I was a bit depressed that even in 1000 years time that girls still dressed as hoochies. Maybe the next feminist wave had come and gone.”

Gold!

5 Dina { 04.15.10 at 10:38 am }

Okay, I loved the boy’s hiphop, I especially bought Robbie’s sexiness. Not that Phillipe’s not great, but to me Robbie just oozed that extra oomph. There’s one moment I got flustered when Robbie gyrated at the front and they haven’t even taken their shirts off yet! Haha, it’s rather embarassing for a 30 year old woman gushing over a teenager’s dancing. I feel like a cougar!! But honestly, there’s something really special about Robbie. He may be small but boy, he’s blessed with huge talent.

6 Anonymous { 04.15.10 at 11:19 am }

I hope Jessie or Ivy win.

7 Neil { 04.15.10 at 1:39 pm }

A few points.

It was embarrasing with the Aussie Aussie Aussue at the beginning. When are we going to grow up and stop seeking external validation of us as a nation?

Jessie has been a late bloomer for me. Her tango last week was memorising, but no one else thought so. She has great technique.

Phillipe, while I recognise the”journey” that he has made, he still seems very stiff and clunky to me. Still got to admire the amount of lifts that had to do last night.

Ivy was my favourite girl up to last week. She has the X-Factor, but Jessie is the better dancer. She must be sick of all the, well meaning, referrence to her looks, but she is there for her dancing.

Robbie has been my pick right from the beginning. Great technician and I hope he wins.

8 Heartfelt { 04.15.10 at 8:49 pm }

What a great show, lots of memorable performances, mainly being Robbie’s performances, and a very forgettable appearance by the catty, bitchy, spaced-out-on-ego-and-some-pill-or-other Keith “Tyce” Diorio. Yep, you read that right. Keith. His real first name kind of strips away the ridiculous persona he tries to shove down our throats. As you can tell, I’m no fan of Keith Diorio. A cousin of mine works as a wardrobe consultant at Co. Dance in Illinois where Keithy is one of the teachers. He’s even more annoying in real life. And I agree with Neil: why do we feel the need to seek external validation of ourselves as a nation, especially by showcasing a US judge on the 2nd last show? Jason Gilkison should have been sitting there. At least he would have given valid, sound advice to the dancers. Not the drivel that drooled from Keith’s mouth……..

Ok that’s my rant. I don’t have much to say regarding the dances except that I agree with most of what RR has already said. The technical distance is growing between the top 2, that being in my opinion, Robbie and Jessie, and the lower 2, Phillipe and Ivy. Last night really highlighted the differences in their abilities. Robbie was mesmerising in everything he did, bar his solo. I can’t agree with you RR. His solo was disappointing. I think they were all disappointing really. I put it down to not being given enough time. They should be given the full amount of time. God knows there’s enough damn ads through the show. Get rid of some of those and replace with longer solos.

Lowlights of the show: Keith Diorio. The vacant look on Ivy’s face at the conclusion of her dance with Phillipe. The endless shuffling of ladders in the Diorio choreographed group routine. The boring hoochie costumes in the girls’ duo. And last but not least, a real lowlight for me is the fact that Robbie didn’t take the lot off when he stripped in the boy’s duo……..

Highlights of the show: the passion between Robbie and Ivy in the Rumba. The beautiful lift that Phillipe did, laying on the floor, lifting Jessie above his body. The fact that Robbie was the best bad-arsed hip hop dancer on the show last night. And the best of all was the mesmerising, amazing, beautiful dance that Robbie and Jessie did to Avatar. They are amazing together. Is there nothing that boy cannot do?

Agree with you RR: Robbie and Jessie in Top 2. Robbie to win.

9 Heartfelt { 04.16.10 at 1:29 pm }

Have just re-read my last post and have to agree with my boyfriend that I sound like a COUGAR! Well I AM 21 and he’s only 18……. How dare I suggest Robbie should have taken it all off?? Heck, Phillipe should have taken it all off too! Sorry honey.

10 josie { 04.16.10 at 1:59 pm }

Just finished watching the show.

The boys hip hop is probably one of my fav performances of the season and it was my fav of the night. I loved it.
I enjoyed the avatar dance but it didnt blow me away like it did the judges. It was just good but Im not a dance expert so what do I know : )
The rhumba was the worst not because of the dancers or even the choreography but just coz its rhumba and rhumba is boring for me.
Loved every other performance.

Solos – Last week the girls outdanced the boys. This week I think it was the other way around. I loved Phillipe and Robbie’s solos more than Ivy and Jessie’s solos

Robbie to win!!!!!

11 Reality Raver { 04.16.10 at 10:11 pm }

Heartfelt – LMAO – Good to know your boyfriend reads this blog – Hi.

Dina I am just not feeling the sexy for Robbie, I love his dancing though.

Neil – snap on the Aussie Aussie Aussie, it’s not the footy show either.

Par3182 that is just gold and so agree Bonnie made perfect sense last night. Yes and Phillipe could definitely been shirtless in all his performances. Particularly his solo did he not realise was the last time we would be seeing him prior to voting.

12 JoySant { 04.17.10 at 2:02 pm }

To Par1382: Ha ha I agree with your Bonnie/Tyce comment. Very funny! And I agree with you RR: Robbie’s solo was great. Everything he did that night was amazing. As much as Tyce Diorio was grating on my nerves, I thought the group routine was great. To Heartfelt: I didn’t understand the thing with the ladders but it looked good so that’s ok.

One word of advice to Robbie: Watch out for all those cougars sweetie ha ha!

Goooooo Robbie. All the way!!!!!!!