Australia’s Got Talent Producers Lining Up Talent To Make Fun Of Them

kyle-sandilands.jpg

I have always been on the record regarding my aversion to reality TV producers taking the mickey out of contestants who obviously have an mental illness as they are easy targets and particularly vulnerable.

But also it has been revealed the Australia’s Got Talent Producers were inviting groups to audition on the show to ridicule them.

The square dancing troupe who were ridiculed on the show on Tuesday night had been invited to perform, they had not auditioned.

News.com.au reveals:

And a troupe of square dancers claim they were set up by the show after the producers invited them on, only for the judges to lampoon them. Square dancing caller Darren Taylor says his group members were ridiculed as soon as they came out on stage. “I have never experienced anything like it before,” he said.

“I’ve been calling for 22 years. I know that it has a bad reputation as being a bit ‘yeehaw’ and that’s why I was concerned about going on in the first place.

“We didn’t apply. They called us and said they really wanted square dancers this year because they wanted it to be a community show.

“But as soon as we walked out Brian (McFadden) buzzed us. He said one of our girls looked like a toilet-roll doll. Dannii (Minogue) also zeroed in on what we were wearing and Kyle said I had my jumper tucked into my pants.

“It was embarrassing. When we finished we had to stand there for minutes while the audience laughed at us.”

Mr Taylor said that many contestants had left the stage in tears.

“One person was teased for their stutter,” he said. “They only showed about one quarter of what they said to us. If they’d showed it all, people would have been shocked at how harsh they were

In other shows controversy Melbourne woman Heather Cook says she was left speechless when Kyle Sandilands lambasted her before she’d even opened her mouth to sing, mocking her weight and questioning whether she was a man or a woman.

She said:

Ms Cook was “devastated” by the remarks of Sandilands, who asked her: “Are you male or female?”

The contestant, who dreamed of being a professional singer and had spent hours training with a professional coach, said she had performed for TV’s other notorious mean judges – Bernard King and Red Symons – and had received constructive feedback.

“They (Symons and King) could be harsh but they were also fair, this Kyle just tears people down,” she said.

When she tried to make light of being asked if she was male or female, the controversial judge then made a joke about Ms Cook’s weight, saying “You’re a belly full of laughs”.

“I felt the whole experience was devastating, and very unfair and unnecessary, and he destroyed any opportunity I had of demonstrating my voice to its fullest potential.

“To my way of thinking there is a lot of bullying going on around schools … so why promote a person such as Kyle to encourage people to be rude and disrespectful?”

With reality TV being the most watched genre on TV after sport maybe it is time a Reality TV Code of Practice was drafted so there is at least some ethical standards in this industry.

1 charades { 04.16.10 at 12:27 pm }

Little man syndrome. Only way to get his wife a part on any channel. For the other bloke …. the only way anyone will give him any money to marry whats her name. Losers the lot of them, and second rate people.

2 Culinary Boner { 04.16.10 at 12:50 pm }

Was it Dave Hughes who aptly described Kyle as a sack of shit in a Van Heusen shirt? Guess this crap show is trying to steal morons from Hey Hey It’s Saturday – the viewers and the contestants, not the so-called “talent”.

3 TDK { 04.16.10 at 2:51 pm }

You’re a sad person Kyle, you have nothing to offer the world except your abuse and verbal diarrhea.

4 bella vita { 04.16.10 at 4:03 pm }

UTTER CRAP
AGT nor any reality TV Producers ring up groups and ask them to audition. They have neither the need or the time, crap acts find their way to reality shows ALL the time!

The guy from the Essendon Square dancing group is obviously peeed off he wasnt taken seriously.
They put themselves in the firing line and then expect people to like them…he had a pole up his ass and clearly cant take criticism.

Agreed unfair about Heather Cook who was asked whether she was male or female, totally uncalled for.

5 akris { 04.16.10 at 4:40 pm }

Bella Vita… I don’t work in the TV industry but I know for a fact that Channel 7 contacted universities, in particular, some departments and faculties to get geeks for Beauty and the Geek. So i think there could be some truth to this article.

Any show that hires Kyle isn’t exactly expecting to uplift or encourage it’s contestants majority of the time. That’s what Kyle is for. To ridicule and belittle. Hence why i don’t listen or watch anything that he’s being paid to do.

6 Jacqui { 04.16.10 at 5:25 pm }

So cruel! I don’t watch this show after watching only a few min of the first episode. One girl was really good that i saw. Not going watch after reading this!

7 Wurstsemmel { 04.16.10 at 7:27 pm }

Didn’t watch this. The trio of “Australia hasn’t got talent’ – Mr. Delta Goodrem (isn’t that what he’s mostly famous for these days?), The Other Minogue and Vile Sandilands – was a turn off from the get go.

I’m not sure why people are surprised when they get made fun of on these type of shows. Goes with the territory. That’s not to say that it’s right though.

8 Reality Raver { 04.16.10 at 9:44 pm }

Bella Vita – I thought these shows did try and put the weird acts in the auditions. I thought there was some scandal in American Idol a few years ago where one guy was an actor or something. Possibly the guy who did the weird Paula song.

Agree re: it was just plain mean and inappropriate re: the female/male comment. Was anyone laughing at home I know I wasn’t.

I think Kyle was funny at times on Tuesday night without being mean. He is best when he does self -depreciating humour.

I thought Brian tried too hard to be funny. I suppose Kyle will just got from one calamity to another.

9 par3182 { 04.17.10 at 12:10 am }

I have a friend who runs a tap dancing school for adults who has been asked by AGT producers to audition with her students (“we’ll put you straight through to the stage in front of the judges” was their promise). She’s wise enough to know they’d be made fun of and said no.

This is just televised bullying, which is hardly the message a ‘family’ show should be pushing.

10 Vince aka K-RAP { 04.18.10 at 10:03 am }

American Idol …
Were you thinking of William Hung who was truly awful, sang way off key was bagged by the judges
AND
He was still able to turn the experience into a career in being awful and get gigs on major TV shows in the US

As a contestant, I saw some of the acts at the pre-auditions. I did not see Ms Cook. But everybody I saw that made it as far as the TV show actually had to have some considerable measure of talent as did a good few who didn’t. Many perform successfully on a regular basis.

So being dissed on AGT says nothing about how good or bad you are.

11 Annon { 04.18.10 at 1:22 pm }

I believe that Po from master chef was approached by the producers and asked to audition

12 Reality Raver { 04.18.10 at 10:27 pm }

Annon – Very funny.

K-Rapp – Great that you had a positive experience on the show.

13 tony guy { 06.10.10 at 7:14 am }

We have an associate, friend, involved in AGT and by all accounts you would
trust Kyle ,well before Brian we leave it there.