Masterchef Australia – Elimination Challenge – Johnathan V Devon

How ripped off must Devon be feeling? He has been eliminated from the top 24 of Masterchef Australia without even cooking. He lands in the elimination challenge because he seats people an hour before opening time, and then the elimination is about naming eggs, and whisking them.

Maybe he needs to go on The Apprentice, and he may get an opportunity to actually cook. And thanks Masterchef Australia in knocking the best looking guy out of the house in the second week of the competition.

By the way is the Egg Corporation  sponsoring the show? Two weeks in and two egg challenges.

The elimination challenge had three rounds of basic skills tests – one point for each round, first contestant to two points wins. The positive the judges were unable to manipulate who won, but the negative was it was a bit dull.

The first test was identifying six eggs. “I can’t even think of six birds who lays eggs?” cried Johnathan the hysteria already starting to enter his voice. Um newsflash Johnathan they ALL do.

After Devon incorrectly identifies an emu as an ostrich egg,  Johnathan dramatically starts sobbing after he wins round one. “I led my team to defeat and now I have to knock one of my guys out,” he cries.

During round one Fiona added some riveting insight “I can see the boys writing down different answers, and that is a concern because in your mind I am thinking one is right and one is wrong,”.

Round two involved whisking 300gms of egg whites until you can hold the bowl upside down for ten seconds. The producers unsuccessfully tried to create some suspense here, but Johnathan was like a machine and won. So we never found out what round three was. I can only think it was to make an omlette. Anyone else got any other ideas of what it could have been?

The hilarious thing was Johnathan won and he went and sobbed on Devon’s shoulder. I have to confess I started giggling at that point. He is so dramatic, and it continued when he got back to the house.

At the house the red team applauded the members of the blue team that were not up for elimination as they walked in, I am not sure what that is all about, and then they all kind of looked stunned when Johnathan walked in. If he was feeling sensitive this was not going to help, and then he started sobbing again.

“To see Johnathan, a man, cry like that just is heart wrenching,” said Adele.

And to end the blog post I leave you with this quote from Sharnee on Devon’s elimination:

“I realise it is not just about living in a fun house and learning how to cook,” Que? I thought you needed to know how to cook to get into the house.

1 Injera { 04.29.10 at 11:15 pm }

Perfect recap!

The shark is circling. The Jaws music is playing. The Fonz is revving up his motorbike… and Jonathon is sobbing. Sobbing. Sobbing.

This had BETTER improve, cos right now I’m thinking of putting it below Ultimate High School Musical on my watch list.

2 ericg { 04.29.10 at 11:23 pm }

Could the 3rd challenge be making the best scramble eggs rather than omellete? Haha! Funny you told me no cooking AT all and I was like what challenges they faced? Who knows, recognizing eggs and whisking them. Maybe MasterChef has lost its ideas on what challenges to knock one off at each elimination round? Gee…

3 Fides { 04.30.10 at 1:34 am }

I’m worried about the mental health of these contestants – how many have had meltdowns now? I do hope they have counsellors on hand because it’s really putting a dampener on my enjoyment to see these people in anguish. Well, like RR I did chuckle when Johnathon was sobbing on Devon’s shoulder but more for how ridiculous it was that in every episode (except maybe Tues) there’s been tears, tears and more tears. I get it that it is very emotional, but when there is someone crying everyday, it feels like things are just a bit too stressful for them, and the evil powers that be at MC are just torturing them.

Apart from that, what a spectacularly dull episode – the preview was much more exciting than what actually took place. The most interesting part is speculating what other three eggs were under there and the third challenge…

I was also yelling at Gary for the stupid question he asked Devon – how does it feel to be eliminated, and what had Devon learned from the MC experience. Well Devon should have just said that he’s learned not to let customers in one hour before service starts, because he hasn’t had much chance to develop his cooking has he?

That was a very unsatisfying episode. This method of elimination, and selecting who should go, is rubbish.

4 lydal { 04.30.10 at 9:03 am }

It’s getting boring watching all contestants crying every episode. MC is losing the essence of being a cooking contest and winning sides of BigBrother (show I didn’t like at all).
About elimination challenge, nothing to say. They put so much accent in jonathan sobbing that we barely watched the tests. They could have shown the other eggs and explain the third test if they were really interested in keeping it just on cooking. Hopefully producers are reading this and other sites about MC and making changes in the edition of next episodes otherwise they are going to lose a lot of viewers imo
And as said another day, sad to see someone going home without even cooking.

5 Wurstsemmel { 04.30.10 at 9:10 am }

Challenges. YAWN.

More crying. YAWN.

At this stage, for me, the Masterchef experience is going backwards.

6 seepi { 04.30.10 at 9:19 am }

I was at least glad to see a half hour episode. They nearly lost me with the full week of 1.5 hour marathons. I like Masterchef, but not enough to devote every evening to watching it.

7 TDK { 04.30.10 at 9:43 am }

My other half, who is usually a reserve kind of person, says it should have been called MasterSob!!
I guessed the egg right!! – sobs.
I’ve eliminated Devon!! – sobs.
I’ve arrived back to MC home!! – sobs.

I remember a young female contestant saying watching these two go at it really shows how “brutal” this competition is. If I hear this cliche line and the word “brutal” one more time, there will be a clean hole in my LCD – which means no more MC.
How is guessing eggs and whisping eggs whites brutal?!!
Tell me!! How?!!
Or is that too much for them?!!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggggg!!
You’re all a bunch of spoilt little babies who cry wolf and sobs at the first sign of stress and over-dramatise things because you’ve never seen a hard day in your life!!

8 AnnyB { 04.30.10 at 12:38 pm }

Hello all. I watch the show intermittently, that is between ad and the overlap to other programmes. So far, from my brief watchings, I haven’t seen one contestant that has shown any great presence, one that says “hey, I really like him/her”. Even though I vow and declare that I’m not going to watch I probably will….woe is me.

But about Jonathon. “Johnathan has done work experience in Gordan Ramsay’s restaurant Petrus in London”…..with all that sobbing how did he ever survive there.

9 teacoffeetea { 04.30.10 at 1:33 pm }

So, so funny! Great post and although I didn’t catch the episode, don’t think I need to now.

Oh and all the contestants seem SO STRESSED OUT! Makes me a little stressed actually…

10 Wurstsemmel { 04.30.10 at 1:52 pm }

Maybe someone needs to drop the ‘F-bomb’ Ramsay-style to Johnathon to shock him back to reality. Masterchef. It’s a competition. People will get eliminated.

11 Mac { 04.30.10 at 1:55 pm }

Is it just me or did Jonathan’s sobbing looked really forced and not genuine. The way he broke down in tears after winning the first round is really suss. Before George announced the winner of that round, notice Jonathan’s smug face seconds before the announcement. It’s the face of anticipation knowing that he is right and Devon is wrong. And when he won, his face grew to excitement knowing he is one step further to winning. Then a split second later, he starts to force himself to cry so he wouldn’t look so damn cocky after winning but to gain sympathy and sorrow to the contestants. Jonathan is a very manipulative person and I hope no one bought into his tears last night.

12 TDK { 04.30.10 at 2:00 pm }

I was too busy rolling my eyes to noticed hahaha.

13 wallah { 04.30.10 at 2:11 pm }

Not sure if anyone watches Kitchen Nightmares USA, but there’s one with an alcoholic son and an overbearing Greek mother. She keeps telling him to “BE A MAN.” I’m trying to channel her nasty spirit to the Masterchef set. I realise that things can be upsetting, and I almost cried watching Little Miss Sunshine, but please….this show is every 15 minutes with the tears. BASTA!

14 Fides { 04.30.10 at 2:50 pm }

I thought George had this bemused expression on his face when he went over to sort Johnathon out as he was crumpled over in distress. I like to think it was a “WTF? Not another one!” look.

Also Johnathon could have given up his spot for Devon if he was so devastated at the thought of knocking him out. Of course he never would ( and I really don’t expect that any of these contestants would) , and then looking at his crazy eyes and that manic whisking, he made his real feelings pretty clear.

The egg thing should have just been whoever scored the most out of 6 writing them all down, not the made-for-TV drama which are like those horrible sudden death taste tests last year – whatever happened to those?

15 Pollywaffle { 04.30.10 at 4:46 pm }

Yep I would have liked to keep the mystery egg game running for a few more eggs – it really shortchanged the kiddies.

Jonathan was, well, just scary actually. He also looks like he’s aged about 20 years in the first week. Did I mishear it or did Devon cringe mid-hug and say to Jonathan – ‘please, don’t mate’. I think that sums it up nicely.

Maybe the combination of Alvin’s less than tactful rejection of Jonathan and his discovery that boo-hoos usually get more attention than raised eyebrows, Jonathan has decided change tack – hence the forced flood last night.
Agree with the other comments about the sobfest: seems last season was all sweat and this ones all tears

16 Injera { 04.30.10 at 5:33 pm }

AnnyB: Wow – Johnathon did work exp at Petrus? That is mind-boggling. Although maybe that bodes well for him, as Ramsay did have that oft-reported sob when working for Marco Pierre White! Perhaps Johnathon is aiming for that career trajectory.

Fides – I agree that the “sudden death” for the eggs was pointless. All it proved was that Devon made the first mistake, not the most mistakes. Having said that, he was not even in the hunt against the whisking skills of Johnathon, but at least we might have seen the third challenge.

I hadn’t even realised it was only a half hour episode. It seemed… longer.

(Raver – loved the comment about having a better chance to cook on The Apprentice!)

17 Reality check { 05.01.10 at 4:11 pm }

Perception is reality. People should watch a few episodes of Frontline first if they really think they can tell anything about the contestants.

18 Jen { 05.06.10 at 11:08 pm }

WHY DOES JONATHAN CRY ALL THE TIME… How will he ever survive in a KITCHEN in a RESTAURANT….. Someone one day is going to tell him to grow some balls and grow up…

Sorry his crying is annoying me.. Where is Doctor Phil when you need him.

J

19 hellojello { 08.25.12 at 7:11 pm }

I wanna know what the remaining three eggs were!! I’m not an expert, but after an ostrich egg I couldn’t identify any others..

20 A.P { 08.26.12 at 10:05 am }

I think its strange that you are commenting on something that happened over two years ago, no one can remember!

21 Reality Raver { 08.26.12 at 2:09 pm }

AP – I hunk previous seasons are shown all over the world. Currently screening in Scandinavia.

hellojello – no idea re the eggs. I would guess there were hen, duck and quail eggs. Maybe goose, gull and guinea eggs?

22 A.P { 08.26.12 at 4:57 pm }

Thanks RR, I didn’t realise that. It’s good that someone in Scandinavia took the trouble to find this post on your blog!