Kris Smith To Host Football Superstar – Another Brit On An Australian Reality Show

Fox 8 announced yesterday that Kris Smith, Danni Minogues partner, and former professional rugby league player, will be the new host of reality show Football Superstar. Lee Furlong will continue to co-host it with him.

Kris takes over from another UK expat, Brian McFadden who has now moved over to Australia’s Got Talent.

Now I like Kris Smith, he is good looking, seems nice, and has some sporting credentials, but are there no Australian male TV presenters who could do the job?

I believe in free trade but it seems that a lot of the roles on our reality TV shows are going to expats.

Currently on TV we have Gary Mehigan and Matt Preston on Masterchef Australia, Brian McFadden on Australia’s Got Talent, Jay-Dee Springbett and Dicko on Australian Idol, and Bonnie Lythgoe on SYTYCDA.

Thankfully antipodean John Torode is Masterchef in the UK, and our Kylie on The X Factor, but I still feel there must be disgruntled presenters and entertainers looking for work in this industry. I hope it is not because of some sort of cultural cringe that these guys are getting the gigs but on pure talent.

1 bella vita { 04.30.10 at 3:56 pm }

I think you made a typo RR as Dannii is X Factor judge 😉

Personally in Kris’s case, its ONLY the fact that he is Dannii’s partner as was the case with Brian McFatten and his relationship with Delta.
Matt Preston however has been well known in his field for 20 years as had Gary (and his businesses are actually IN Australia)

But then again, how many shows can we possibly have hosted by Daniel McPherson? LOL
James Kerley and Jules Lund are not really the greatest of hosts.
Would have loved to see a male sportsman in the role, perhaps even a current/injured soccer player.
We so need fresh talent in this industry!

On second thoughts..does anyone remember Heartbreak Kid with Alex Dimitriades in the 90’s….he was so scrummy kicking the soccer ball 😉
Now thats a good host choice!

2 Reality Raver { 04.30.10 at 4:12 pm }

Bella Vita – oh yes meant Danni thanks for picking that up.

I agree re: Gary and Matt, but used them to illustrate my point. To be honest I don’t know how much talent is out there, but we do seem to see the same faces doing the rounds on the light entertainment shows. And I just wonder how many other comms and drama graduates would like the opportunities to audition for some of these roles. This on top of the rumour Peter Andre supposedly turned down a role on the Australian X Factor. Something that I don’t believe considering they have not announced which channel has obtained it yet. I know Peter is Australian but his profile his more UK based.

3 bella vita { 04.30.10 at 4:32 pm }

I LOVED Peter Andre is the early 90’s and you are correct that he was approached for the X Factor, but he is completely anti aussie these days and have real scath for the industry here…he doesnt want to be a part of the aussie industry at all, hates certain people and burnt a lot of bridges with his open comments

Drama graduates will never get offered a hosting role until they have gained a big role in a soap or musical…very few Waapa or Nida graduates even struggle to get a role in anything, let alone a prime hosting gig.

4 Ollie { 04.30.10 at 6:42 pm }

Don’t worry Raver; Dannii and Kylie look the same. Easy mistake

5 josie { 04.30.10 at 11:53 pm }

We have a heap of sport shows( football, nrl, afl) so there were a heap of decent potential hosts out there.
Id really love to see Chloe Maxwell host something. Maybe So you think you can dance since Nats not gonna be there next year. I loved her so much. Even someone like Deni hines, she’d be good as a tv host

6 justice. { 06.26.10 at 3:38 pm }

this show started really great actually it was a good start to the season. this years contestants are amazingly talented.