Masterchef Australia – Kate Is MasterFarce

Some poor  yellow fin tuna died for Kate to mutilate it and turn it into some sort of quasi Japanese tuna, eggs and rice dish. They should have just given her a can. But more on the debacle that is Kate being in the top 24 amateur chefs in the country later.

But first the mystery box challenge. Tonight they had to make a gourmet burger with anything they liked within 45 minutes. The kicker, they had to name it and the judges were only going to taste five.

Johnathan was quite strategic and went for the rabbit as he thought he would stand out. He was right his “bunny burger” was selected, but got the thumbs down as his patty was undercooked. It looked like the judges did not even taste it.

So Johnathan went from strutting out there to having to chokingly admit it was underdone. I get the feeling he does not like to admit it when he has stuffed up.

Adam’s burger called duck-pig-cow looked very interesting with pork, duck and beef patty cooked in a tomato sauce.

Courtney’s one-armed bandit burger which was salmon looked delicious and her home made mayo got the thumbs up.

I was surprised Matthew’s  Megasaurus burger (burger with the lot) was picked there was nothing original about it. Jimmy must have been peeved considering he had cooked kangaroo. Also Matthew’s looked like it was nearly impossible to eat. As George said it was a “cliche classic”.

Marion went down the duck and pork patty route but she also put fried duck skin and gruyere cheese on it as well. Marion has been savvy and knows the higher the fat content in your dish the greater the chance you have at winning. And she did.

This meant she got to pick the ingredient in the Japanese invention test challenge. I was hoping she would pick eel just for the great TV it would have produced, however she picked tuna over tofu.

Adam was thought to have some advantage because he has lived in Japan for the past six years. But his avocado and tuna timbale was given thumbs up for flavour but thumbs down for presentation.

Dominic had a fair idea what the flavours were, but as he said only being able to pick ten ingredients from he pantry was difficult.

Kate’s tuna, egg and rice dish must have come straight from the Commonsense Cookery Book, it just looked hideous. She probably did not realise that with a great piece of tuna like that you don’t cook it through. She said “It looks nice but it does not look Masterchef” oh agree. Also I am getting sick of her  “I have done the best I could, I am not an expert in Japanese”

Matt Preston said tasty for Thursday night in front tele but not good enough for masterchef.

Gary high fived Callum’s seared tuna with avocado and wasabi, and a soy dressing.

Fiona’s bento box looked really nice, but George said the sauced tasted like dish water.

Marion’s broth was given praise all round.

Carrie started crying even before they tasted her sashimi, because she knew it was too simple. Gary said the sashimi was the wrong cut.

Alvin’s dish got mixed reviews presentation good, but not great for flavour. I was really surprised he made it into the top three with Marion and Callum. Callum won and will get to compete for an immunity card in the beat the chef challenge.

No surprise that Kate, Carrie and Fiona were the bottom three. Tomorrow they face the pressure test with one of them going home. Hopefully that will be Kate – let the Masterfarce be gone.

Congratulations to the show for winning best reality TV show at the Logies, as well as Matt Preston winning best new talent.

1 skye { 05.02.10 at 11:01 pm }

Cannot stand Kate – not only is her cooking not remotely up to standard, but she also has a really defensive reaction if she is questioned. I feel like she thinks she is Julie Mark II and therefore should be able to get away with dreadful stodge, like Julie somehow did. Bleurgh.
Meanwhile my husband (who lived in Japan for years) was yelling at the telly when Gary praised Callum’s “classic Japanese combination of tuna and avocado” as he reckons that’s a western innovation, more a classic of your local sushi train than anything you’d find in Japan.

2 ericg { 05.02.10 at 11:02 pm }

Firstly, I would consider luck being on Kate’s side when she was picked to be on the top 24.

Secondly, gourmet burger isn’t that hard to make but I do not know why just 5 and not all? How fair can the judges be then? Just by putting high level of creativity into the plating and the names, including choosing game meat (even though Jimmy’s dish was overlooked!), you have 88.88% being chosen (except for Jimmy – luck wasn’t with him!).

Thirdly, I personally would have chosen the eel. Who knows, Marion did a favour for every contestant which Kate ‘clumsily’ misused it.

Fourthly, the judges have made contradicting decisions when it comes to Fiona and Alvin’s dishes. How could Alvin’s dish be on top 3? Do not tell me none on the ‘saved-list’ contestants’ dishes (other than Fiona’s) – not even one? – could beat Alvin’s? I seriously think you are correct to say Alvin has been the pick of the year amateur chef. So wrong.

Last but not least, WHAT DID AUSTRALIA SEE IN Preston? Big sigh!

Good luck to the bottom 3. It should get better because I am leaving the show soon’ish if it doesn’t.

3 Wurstsemmel { 05.02.10 at 11:47 pm }

I also don’t get why they didn’t taste all the burgers. It’s MasterCHEF so shouldn’t it be about the cooking over whether you can concoct some cute name. I don’t get why the megasaurus made it – no innovation at all and impossible to eat burger style.

This demonstrates nicely what bugs me about Masterchef – mini
al coverage of this challenge yet copious recaps. Seriously 10, if you don’t think that Masterchef can gain enough of our attention to retain what’s happening over an ad break, you must feel the show is flawed.

Kate. All you are doing is proving while you shouldn’t be in Masterchef. Some strange alignment of the stars (Matt, George and Gary) saw you make the top 24. Tomorrow the pressure test should see things come right. I can’t imagine for one moment you could possibly win.

Loved how the Big Bunny Burger became the Big Bunny Flop.

4 KC { 05.03.10 at 12:53 am }

Firstly, I totally agree about Kate being lucky. The moment she said she was making tuna and egg rice I started ranting again. How could she get in seriously?? I kinda agree with people previously saying that she was probably put in to make the others look good except its kinda failing because the others are good. What annoys me is that she’ll probably manage to get to the middle of the competition because she’ll somehow manage to get past the pressure test and she’ll probably be one of the safe ones in the team challenges. Ugh.

And I totally agree about her being Julie. Except I’ll actually scream if Kate wins because Julie seems to be a much better chef than Kate which isn’t saying much.

Secondly, I don’t have that big an issue with only tasting five…Maybe the chef judges will be too full? I mean it was like that last season and I guess they know how the chefs have cooked it so they can kinda tell whose is going to be good? I mean total lack of judgement with Jonathan’s but then I would have wanted to eat his one because its rabbit.

Thirdly, I thought Marion was actually really smart. She’s one of the few contestants on both seasons that chose what she was good at rather than what the other chefs were bad at. From what I remember of both seasons, most chefs picked the ingredient that they knew everyone was bad at and then they ended screwing up majorly because even they didn’t know how to cook it. Marion’s choice shows that she has confidence in her cooking ability and it paid off because even though she didn’t manage to win, she was second which is pretty awesome because I don’t remember anyone winning the mystery box and the invention test…I’m not too sure about that but I know that even if there was, it definitely was in the minority.

Fourthly, I have to agree that I thought Adam’s or Aaron’s dish seemed better than Alvin’s. But he didn’t win so I didn’t really care 😀

I’m actually really enjoying Masterchef this season…I find it more entertaining than last year because they seem to be as a whole better cooks and they are quite a lovely bunch of people 😀 Of course editing plays a lot in this and we’re only in second week but I’m liking it so far 😀 Even the judges don’t affect me and I don’t find them that annoying 😀

5 Fides { 05.03.10 at 1:22 am }

Oh Kate. I read in the MC forum a post by one of her former students saying she is a great English teacher. So she should let teaching be her calling because cooking at a professional level sure isn’t.

Couldn’t believe that she thought she was plating her dish up “fancy schmancy” – it looked so unappealing, though maybe a spring onion garnish constitute fancy schmancy to her. She should have just seared the tuna like everyone else. I do suspect she knows, and has known all along that she is out of her league. I hope the judges put her out of her misery soon.

Marion – wow, she’s so talented! I agree she should have picked eel – she could have made that broth anyway and just substituted eel for the tuna. She’s amazing like Justine, but she has more versatility and can probably cook anything.

Liking Courtney more and more, and even Fiona for at least trying to fight back the tears and sounding articulate. She should have left the dishwater miso off the plate in the end if it was truly that disgusting.

I thought the Alvin top 3 surprise was more due to editing. Like they deliberately want to keep suspense, so we didn’t get to see or hear Matt or Gary’s comments about his dish. Because if the judgement was based on George’s comments, it’s very contradictory. They seem to do that a lot with editing in this show, especially with the celebrity chef challenges where I suppose if they sang the praises of one dish too much, it would ruin any suspense when scores are given.

A high five from Gary must be the equivalent of an Idol touchdown. I think a kiss from George would be more entertaining, but I doubt that’s ever going to happen.

6 TDK { 05.03.10 at 9:53 am }

I have a change of heart!!
I don’t want Kate to go.
Wait for it.. so I can laugh some more, LMAO.

7 lydal { 05.03.10 at 10:25 am }

First of all, go Callum! I voted him as my fav so I hope he keeps doing well 😉 Marion is clever and talented and there are some other contestants that look strong too but Kate… don’t understand how she slipped trough all the previous castings and found a spot for her in MC. We were staring mouth opened yesterday at her dish (and not from amazingly good sensation). At least she could have done another kind of presentation so the dish didn’t look sooooo home feeling. It looked exactly the same as the chicken-mayo thing she cooked before. No imagination at all. Hope she goes home tonight (and I want to believe the judges expected that too at this stage).
About tasting all dishes or not, last season when there was a challenge that judges tried only few contestants dishes I read that judges used to taste/check all them off camera so they knew which ones they were gonna pick up for tasting. So no problem with judging just a few of them (well, would like to see more but because it’s a cooking contest and I’m a curios … but that’s all 😉 )

8 Culinary Boner { 05.03.10 at 10:41 am }

I am dead set annoyed that Marion missed an opportunity for us all to see what would have been the MCA comedy event of the year.

Contestants touching (ewww), skinning, beheading, gutting and filleting eel.

What would have Kate made? Eel parmigiana bake?

Which contestants would have collapsed in the foetal position, blubbering that they can’t touch the slimy beast and whimpering that they wanna go home to mummy?

And no doubt Jake would have had some horrendous industrial accident, with the eel somehow ended up embedded in his arse.

Oh well. We only hope that sea urchins make an appearance down the track.

9 TDK { 05.03.10 at 11:07 am }

Culinary Boner – LMAO, agree 100% – would have made gold TV!!
Note to producers: please have your next mystery box the eel!!

10 lydal { 05.03.10 at 11:20 am }

lol Forgot to mention poor Jake… not sure he will survive this season of MC 😉

11 Reality Raver { 05.03.10 at 11:28 am }

Skye – I am just glad no one did the corn mayonaisse salad dish that I constantly saw in restaurants in Japan, but then I was not high end dining. Julie was a much better cook then Kate.

Eric G- I hop you stick with the show. I think Matt Preston is a refreshing presence on the screen, as long as he does not become a parody of himself. I bet he is hungover today.

Wurstsemmel – the look on Johnathan’s face said it all when he realised it was raw. I could not work out why he did not start cooking his patty earlier.

KC – I doubt Kate will win, she is so retro but bad retro like International roast instant coffee. Marion is a great cook. Agree I am loving Masterchef every episode is different. Cannot wait for the pressure test tonight.

TDK – You want to know what else is in her cooking repetoire buy the 4 ingredients cookbook.

Lydal – Agree Callum is good, I thought it was interesting he worked as a kitchen hand in a restaurant so must have observed how to put flavours together.

Culinary Boner – LOL about Jake, poor bugger he is a disaster. At least we did not have to watch blood gushing everywhere.

Agree the eel would have made great TV.

12 I like food { 05.03.10 at 11:50 am }

I’m not sure about ya’ll but I’m finding this season rather boring in the sense there are too many people and I feel not enough time has been devoted to others with real talent. I liked how they skipped the whole process of making the final cut but now I feel like it’s going along at a snails pace and if Kate could somehow get through tonight it might signal the end for me.
I think someone in management has a crush on Alvin…..fair dinkum…how was that a top 3 dish ?
Anyone think Marion has an evil side ?

13 TDK { 05.03.10 at 11:54 am }

I like food – everyone has an evil side, no doubt!!

14 Reality Raver { 05.03.10 at 12:08 pm }

I Like Food – I think the issue that you raise is valid and always a problem in reality shows until the contestants start getting whittled down. As we seem to only get glimpses of their personalities. Except for Marion and Alvin who are getting a lot of loving.

15 ericg { 05.03.10 at 12:28 pm }

I Like Food – Agree with you totally. Or maybe, Alvin knows how to stroke the three judges’ ego? Fair dinkum? And I wonder when we will be able to see Marion displaying her evil side. LOL!

PS, RR – I am still not giving up on the show because a couple of potential chef wannabes are still in the competition – those I personally think worked their ways through to the top 24 (not someone like Kate. Julie #2? No where near!!!).

16 Culinary Boner { 05.03.10 at 12:35 pm }

Further the hypothetical eel challenge, another tragically missed opportunity…

Namely that this would have provided an irrestible excuse for George and Gary t0 undergo full-blown possession by their inner pervs, with jolly but leering comments to their preferred gals in the mould of Sid James to Barbara Windsor.
I can hear it now, George to Skye – “Gee, Skye that’s certainly a big ‘un, you reckon you’ve got a pot big enough to fit all that in?” Cue to Gary smirking over his shoulder.

What’s up with you producers??
FFS, are you intent on making the show boring?

17 ericg { 05.03.10 at 12:53 pm }

Culinary Boner – I would love to see an eel challenge and to see how many of them would have allowed the eel to slipped off. HAHA!

The producers might have pitied these amateur chefs since there have been heaps of crying moments this season. Come to think of it, they might not want to have another episode of everyone crying because eels were chosen – though interesting for us all.

18 kate { 05.03.10 at 12:58 pm }

As others have pointed out, hard to judge Alvin’s dish in the absence of the other judges’ comments – but George’s comment about not liking the taste of the pickled ginger just smacked for me of his evident ignorance of and lack of palate exposure to most Asian cuisines and ingredients (an ignorance largely shared by Gary; who could ever forget remember that fried rice with crystallized ginger and dashi powder!). I didn’t watch most of the program (the new Dr Who is more attractive then tears and tantrums) but Alvin’s dish certainly looked and sounded more genuinely Japanese than many of the others we saw at the end…

19 KC { 05.03.10 at 1:30 pm }

Oh NUU Marion having an evil side??? But she’s so sweet!! And kind!! And she’s so nice to everyone! Is this camera editing again…

And the thing about the eel is it might have made for better reality tv but I still think it was smart for Marion to have chosen the tuna because from what I know, eel is hard to make especially if you’ve never done it before. And if you don’t cook it well, it has this really gross fishy smell. But I do see where the amusement would come from…:D:D

20 TDK { 05.03.10 at 1:34 pm }

KC – this is not a cooking competition; it’s a drama show 😛

21 Dolph Ziggler { 05.03.10 at 2:05 pm }

KC, Dolph cant get enuff of that gross fishy smell

22 Georgina { 05.03.10 at 4:17 pm }

Good on Callum for the win. He’s shaping up to be a serious contender.

Kate won me over with her personality in the last few eps — she was great front of house in the restaurant challenge — but it’s increasingly clear that she has neither the skills nor the creativity to be on this show. Has she been in a single challenge where she hasn’t said, “I’m no good at cooking [ingredient]?” She doesn’t seem to understand that the challenges aren’t necessarily about knowing how to cook something, they’re about being able to adapt and create dishes on the fly. I hope she goes home tonight.

Has anyone else noticed we haven’t seen one of Skye’s dishes for days? I keep an eye out because she’s said she’s into raw food and that’s something a little different, but they never actually show us what she makes!

23 Pollywaffle { 05.03.10 at 4:55 pm }

I thought the burger names were a bit unimaginative, especially as two contestants who were in the top group grabbed the obvious descriptive names which ended up pretty similar (duck, duck, pig; duck, pig cow et al). The annoying thing is these names will not work in the real world, people don’t like being reminded of what animal they are eating – ask Heinz about how ‘chicken in a can’ is going if you don’t agree
And, if the only the best named burgers were to get a guernsey, it wouldn’t have hurt to hear some of the more pathetic offerings. I wonder if Kate’s might have been called the Maggi Burger?

Keep Kate in though, the comedic value is priceless

24 Vic { 05.03.10 at 5:35 pm }

Pollywaffle – I would have thought chicken was the one thing where people are happy to say they want the animal (unlike sheep/lamb and cow/beef).

Chicken in a can isn’t selling cause it is revolting (and is only some small % of chicken).

25 Reality Raver { 05.03.10 at 5:43 pm }

Pollywaffle – agree would have liked to have seen what the others were doing. LOL – re: Chicken in a Can whoever came up with that concept needs to be fired.

Vic – the tin looks like cat food

26 Reality Raver { 05.03.10 at 5:46 pm }

Georgina – would have loved to seen Skye tackle the eel, also would like to see her other offerings.

I had forgotten about the fried rice.

KC and TDK – I know you say everyone has an evil side it is just how hidden it is kept. I doubt we will see Marions.

Pollywaffle – Maggi Burger? That was pure gold.

K

27 Laura { 05.03.10 at 6:04 pm }

I don’t think that the judges would have put Alvin in the top 3 if he didn’t deserve it – what would be the point? I think that because he has been such a strong performer, they were harder on him than the others in their critique. If Fiona had made his dish, for example, they would have been absolutely thrilled with it.

I feel sorry for Daniel (tattoo guy) – he has had barely ANY screentime at all! I haven’t even seen the judges taste his food. I’m really liking Courtney and Mari0n right now.

It will be interesting to see how Callum is as a team leader in the next challenge. Not really fair that the winner on Sunday night is disadvantaged by being team leader – they are automatically in the firing line if their team loses.

28 Wurstsemmel { 05.03.10 at 7:25 pm }

DON’T MENTION CHICKEN IN A CAN!

Kate will be asking them to this stock this gourmet item in the MC pantry.

29 Airwalk { 05.03.10 at 8:16 pm }

Love reading everyones comments each day-Marion is getting a lot of loving and I like her but we only get to see a few of the contestants as others have already observed. Loved the comment regards Jake ending up with an eel up his arse:and considering the chef in China who has been in the news in the last couple of days(after a drunken night out his friends stuck an eel up his arse-it was live and he died after it munched on his bowels) it could make interesting televison viewing in that timeslot…and how the hell did Jake drop a knife on his foot, in all my years in kitchens I have never seen such a klutz

30 Airwalk { 05.04.10 at 4:10 am }

Eel on UK Masterchef caused a stir:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/6479774/Eels-off-the-menu-on-BBCs-MasterChef.html
btw: I loath Julie the mastercook winner from last year, cringe everytime she is on the Today show and her way of cooking poached eggs that she came up with on the radio the other day without vineger….she’s useless. Poh is ok in her new show though

31 Deb { 05.05.10 at 5:12 pm }

I am so happy Kate is gone! And I too I have no idea how she got into the top 24! I’m still trying to get over her childhood memory dish “Chicken & Potato Slice” It was slop on a plate!