Masterchef Australia – The Kids Party Challenge
Christ how high end is George Calombaris, Monday night it was “you’ve not had truffles?” comment and tonight it he sneered at Jonathan “it’s wasn’t caviar, but lumpfish roe”. Um George most people have tried neither.
Now I am not going to make any cracks about young Phoebe, as the last person to make a joke about a child in the social media they got the sack, yes Catherine Deveny I am talking about you.
One of the most interesting things in tonight’s episode was the selection of the teams. Callum as winner of the invention test was team captain and he got to pick his own team all at once. So who did he think were the best cooks in the house?
He picked his mate Matthew first, then Marion, Jimmy, Peter, Claire, Joanne, Skye, Fiona, and Adam. I know I am missing some names.
But he didn’t pick Alvin, Dominic, Phil or Adele. Also Carrie and Sharnee were on the B team. And of course Jonathan. I am sure there was some fear and loathing against Callum back at the house that night.
The challenge was to cater for a 9 year old girl’s birthday party. There were to be 75 kids, and 75 adults who would be voting. Plus the birthday girl would get to fling ten votes to the birthday cake she like the best.
The team that got the most votes would obviously win, and the contestant’s dishes in the losing team that got the least amount of votes would have to face off in an elimination challenge.
I like these types of challenges, as the results can be totally random.
After talking to the birthday girl the teams devised the menu. The blue team were more effective in getting information from her.
A few thoughts about the implementation of the challenge:
- The red teams strategy of only one sweet dish on their menu was very high risk. I would have thought Dominic would know that kids eat a lot of sugar at parties;
- Also they served three seafood dishes when the party girl did not like seafood. Though the prawns looked delicious was that Courtney?
- I know Adele and Dominic were having issues with the oven, but how come it took so long for Dominic to put the cup cakes in the oven?
- Jonathan’s idea that he was only going for the adult vote with his salmon blinis with lumpfish roe was a sound one, it is just a pity they looked dreadful and unappetizing;
- Did anyone else notice that if you made the cake it meant you avoided elimination?
- I would like to see more of the other contestants, at the moment it is the Alvin, Dominic and Marion show. Skye, Daniel and Peter must be really dull as you never see them.
- Oh we finally saw Daniel’s food and it was not great, I know he was blaming it on the stove, but even the middle of his sausage rolls looked a bit to Michel’s Bakery.
- Dominic who I like, domineering personality and all, was having issues with his cup cakes due to having to wait for them to cook and cool, but he cleverly turned it into a cup cake station, which quickly translated into votes for him.
- It goes to show that cupcakes are the way to a kids heart as well as Dom’s success, Phoebe gave her ten points to the farmyard cupcakes. I was surprised I thought she would go for the more spectacular princess castle.
The blue team won the challenge so went of for lunch at Sails restaurant at Lavendar Bay.
The red team contestants had to wait for the votes, Dom was safe as he polled 18 votes. Jonathan. Phil and Adele had the lowest amount of votes. Phillip was safe with three votes for his hamburger. Jonathan got one vote for his canapes and Adele got none for her sausage rolls.
What I would have liked to have seen is the blue teams votes as well to see who cooked the most favourite dish on that team. My bet is Jimmy with his butter chicken, it may not have looked nice but the adults would have loved it.
Jonathan’s continued tenure on the show must be at risk tomorrow night as it is his second week in the bottom, plus he is taking on an Italian woman in an italian cuisine challenge. Should I take bets now on who is going to cry more in tomorrow night’s episode – Jonathan or Adele.