Masterchef Australia – The Kids Party Challenge

Christ how high end is George Calombaris, Monday night it was “you’ve not had truffles?” comment and tonight it he sneered at Jonathan “it’s wasn’t caviar, but lumpfish roe”. Β Um George most people have tried neither.

Now I am not going to make any cracks about young Phoebe, as the last person to make a joke about a child in the social media they got the sack, yes Catherine Deveny I am talking about you.

One of the most interesting things in tonight’s episode was the selection of the teams. Callum as winner of the invention test was team captain and he got to pick his own team all at once. So who did he think were the best cooks in the house?

He picked his mate Matthew first, then Marion, Jimmy, Peter, Claire, Joanne, Skye, Fiona, and Adam. I know I am missing some names.

But he didn’t pick Alvin, Dominic, Phil or Adele. Also Carrie and Sharnee were on the B team. And of course Jonathan. I am sure there was some fear and loathing against Callum back at the house that night.

The challenge was to cater for a 9 year old girl’s birthday party. There were to be 75 kids, and 75 adults who would be voting. Plus the birthday girl would get to fling ten votes to the birthday cake she like the best.

The team that got the most votes would obviously win, and the contestant’s dishes in the losing team that got the least amount of votes would have to face off in an elimination challenge.

I like these types of challenges, as the results can be totally random.

After talking to the birthday girl the teams devised the menu. The blue team were more effective in getting information from her.

A few thoughts about the implementation of the challenge:

• The red teams strategy of only one sweet dish on their menu was very high risk. I would have thought Dominic would know that kids eat a lot of sugar at parties;
  • Also they served three seafood dishes when the party girl did not like seafood. Though the prawns looked delicious was that Courtney?
  • I know Adele and Dominic were having issues with the oven, but how come it took so long for Dominic to put the cup cakes in the oven?
  • Jonathan’s idea that he was only going for the adult vote with his salmon blinis with lumpfish roe was a sound one, it is just a pity they looked dreadful and unappetizing;
  • Did anyone else notice that if you made the cake it meant you avoided elimination?
  • I would like to see more of the other contestants, at the moment it is the Alvin, Dominic and Marion show. Β Skye, Daniel and Peter must be really dull as you never see them.
  • Oh we finally saw Daniel’s food and it was not great, I know he was blaming it on the stove, but even the middle of his sausage rolls looked a bit to Michel’s Bakery.
  • Dominic who I like, domineering personality and all, was having issues with his cup cakes due to having to wait for them to cook and cool, but he cleverly turned it into a cup cake station, which quickly translated into votes for him.
  • It goes to show that cupcakes are the way to a kids heart as well as Dom’s success, Phoebe gave her ten points to the farmyard cupcakes. I was surprised I thought she would go for the more spectacular princess castle.

The blue team won the challenge so went of for lunch at Sails restaurant at Lavendar Bay.

The red team contestants had to wait for the votes, Dom was safe as he polled 18 votes. Jonathan. Phil and Adele had the lowest amount of votes. Phillip was safe with three votes for his hamburger. Jonathan got one vote for his canapes Β and Adele got none for her sausage rolls.

What I would have liked to have seen is the blue teams votes as well to see who cooked the most favourite dish on that team. My bet is Jimmy with his butter chicken, it may not have looked nice but the adults would have loved it.

Jonathan’s continued tenure on the show must be at risk tomorrow night as it is his second week in the bottom, plus he is taking on an Italian woman in an italian cuisine challenge. Should I take bets now on who is going to cry more in tomorrow night’s episode – Jonathan or Adele.

1 Kris2040 { 05.05.10 at 11:02 pm }

I found it excruciating watching the red team talk to Phoebe. The first thing most kids worry about is the cake! Who didn’t spend hours deliberating in Mum’s Womens Weekly Birthday Cake book when their birthday party was coming up? They didn’t ask her what she was interested in and just assumed too much. The blue team spoke to her like she was (shock!) a sentient being and acted accordingly. And how cool were the kids being all excited about getting to meet Matt Preston?! Priceless.

2 skye { 05.05.10 at 11:03 pm }

1. Dom may be getting a bad edit, but I think he’s giving them plenty to work with. Do not like him, have worked with that kind of belligerent blowhard too many times to have any affection for that style of guy. Props to him for the cupcake station save though.

2. I was wondering if maybe Alvin was the showpony referred to in that previous post, he has been getting a lot of camera time but Callum didn’t pick him for the dream team tonight.

3. I think Jonathon’s strategy may have been flawed because I think a lot of parents would have actually voted for dishes which they liked best for a kid’s party. It’s that old parent thing of looking out for what makes your kidlets happy.

4. Dom’s anti-sugar stance was interesting, as he took the only sweet option (cupcakes) for himself, and made out like a bandit votes-wise. Rat cunning or dumb luck?

3 skye { 05.05.10 at 11:04 pm }

Oh and, Jonathon to go!

4 Injera { 05.05.10 at 11:16 pm }

Skye, I like your thinking – that does seem like a strategic move on Dom’s part.

Raver – my money on the tears for tomorrow is firmly on Jonathan. Adele weeps, but he sobs.

5 wallah { 05.05.10 at 11:19 pm }

Bravo Jonathon, nothing says 9 year olds birthday party like oily, warm smoked salmon. This episode has merely confirmed my thoughts on Dom, and having spent the last week lying in bed recovering from surgery, I’ve been marathoning Carnivale. Ladies and Gents, I present you Brother Justin……

Problem is, this clip doesn’t do the black eyes justice.

6 Kris2040 { 05.05.10 at 11:19 pm }

Injera, As far as I can tell, Adele is in a perpetual state of verge of tears, if not crying already!

7 Georgina { 05.05.10 at 11:20 pm }

Fun challenge. I wish they told us how many votes each dish got; it would be interesting to see how the party-goers liked things like the butter chicken and the Lebanese meatballs. And again, we didn’t see what Skye cooked. I swear, I could start a conspiracy theory about that. We never see her food!

Very clever of Leanne to ask exactly what sort of cake Phoebe wanted, though in the end the cake points didn’t matter. The blue team would’ve won regardless.

Dom did a great job with the cupcake station, and with dealing with Adele. She wears me down just watching her. I can’t imagine how it is for the other contestants to be around her nervy, tear-soaked energy all the time. I wonder what it is about Dom that the other contestants don’t like? He was a very late pick for the restaurant challenge (third-last maybe?) and now he wasn’t picked here either.

When I saw it was Jonathan vs Adele tomorrow night I thought Adele was done for, but the fact that it’s an Italian challenge makes this interesting. Adele has such a huge advantage that if Jonathan wins he really will have earned his place.

George’s comment on the roe was ridiculous. Somebody should make that into an MC drinking game: take one sip every time George says something that makes you go, “Shut UP, George.” Most eps will end with you drunk off your face, of course.

8 KC { 05.05.10 at 11:23 pm }

I was actually thinking exactly the same about the cake cooks πŸ˜€ But then again, their cakes would probably have to be pretty atrocious for them to be considered for the vote and they were pretty awesome looking. I was scared that red team’s cake was going to win because it was a spectacular looking castle but then Phoebe had wanted a farm theme (she is SO AWESOME) and I thought the blue team’s cake was SO cute and I love cakes with little cupcakes around it πŸ˜€

I feel so depressed…My top 3 always end up on different teams…Okay its more like top 2. But GO MARION! TWO WINS IN A ROW! COME ON AARON YOU CAN DO IT!!!

And I love how Callum got to choose the teams. I mean you can’t trust camera edits and stuff but it was pretty obvious that even though you can’t really tell if every cook on the blue team were the best in the house but they were definitely people who aren’t overly aggressive or passive and the ones who are generally the most calm πŸ˜€ Which is a smart move on Callum’s part πŸ˜€

AND OMG HOW CUTE WAS IT when Callum picked Matthew πŸ˜€ I was like AWWWWWW BESTIES!!!!!! How awesome is it when you’re in such a tough comp but you have a best friend in the house with you πŸ˜€ I know it is a competition in the end but still πŸ˜€

9 seepi { 05.05.10 at 11:30 pm }

I think for a simple cooking challenge like this one, picking the easy going people was the way to go. Adele would stress the Dalai Lama out.

I was surprised that noone cooked any novelty type food – biscuits with faces on or something.

And I loved the castle cake. I’m just not getting the whole cupcake thing.

10 Kris2040 { 05.05.10 at 11:30 pm }

Hey KC, Check THESE cupcakes out! From a wedding too… http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2010/04/muppets-wedding-cupcakes.html

11 rusty { 05.05.10 at 11:33 pm }

As an ex-baker, my 2 cents worth –

I prefer Adele to Dom, who was pretty damn condescending and too keen control, but I give him cred for the cupcake design trick – really the only innovative move of the day.

Sorry Adele – yes, you don’t open the oven but cakes have priority over sausage rolls in a shared oven as the more temperamental food. I used to be the sole baker in a hotel amongst chefs and things that rise are more tricky timewise. Of course, Dom’s time management should’ve have been more oven-focussed. He should’ve got them in much earlier – one of the 1st things he did, or delegated to someone else if he was to busy organizing.

Overall, didn’t think much of either team or cake for kid-friendly creativity. The castle looked a bit sterile to me, and too showy – Phoebe may be still a bit young to appreciate real estate! But thought the the animal theme could’ve been pushed more, too.

I bet there were lots of Mums watching, thinking how much better they would have done it!

12 seepi { 05.05.10 at 11:40 pm }

ps – it now makes sense how much air time Jonathon and Adele are getting – they are both good tv (in that over emotional / expressive way), and one of them is going to be gone tomorrow – in only week 2!

13 Kris2040 { 05.05.10 at 11:44 pm }

Seepi, I see your point, but Adele’s constant teariness just does my head in! I want to punch her through the telly!

14 CG { 05.05.10 at 11:48 pm }

Random musings on tonights epi:

*RR, I also noticed that the girls who cooked the cakes didn’t seem to be eligible for elimination…and was yelling at the TV. It is these types of inconsistencies that start to ruin the show for me.

* I also want to know how the dishes scored on the blue team.

* Skye cooked brownies. But what did Jake (red team) cook?

* Love the idea that Dom was scheming by doing the only sweet dish on his team. But I call BS on the cupcake decorating thing. Did you see the bowls and bowls of icing…there is no way he would have pre-purchased that much icing sugar and variety of toppings unless he was contemplating the decorating booth. Not only did he scheme to do the only sweet thing, and the cupcake decorating to fall last (and therefore most memorable for the kiddies), but he also managed to screw Adele by making a big deal about the oven.

* Don’t call Dom’s scheming or the lack of info on what Skye’s cooking a “conspiracy theory” or a certain poster will get very upset.

* Adele’s spicy sausage rolls with homemade tomato relish was one of the few dishes I wanted to taste. Poor thing. No votes.

* Did Jimmy serve rice with his curry? I would have knocked him for that but the selection of a curry and the presentation were not his decision alone.

I think Jonathan will go tomorrow night.

Lots of politics in the house as demonstrated by the team selection. I love that and hope there is some drama in the coming weeks…just not the tears!

I’m sticking with my original picks but going by the editing I feel like we are heading for a Clare, Marion, Callum final. I keep wondering how they would position and market Callum…I guess he would be a young Jamie Oliver-type….but I have a problem that someone so young with so little life and worldly experience can be an inspiring “masterchef” and cookbook author.

15 Anon { 05.06.10 at 12:32 am }

Tomorrow’s elimination promises to be excruiating. Kleenex should have opted for naming rights.

Once Phoebe’s eyes lit up upon seeing the Blue Team’s cake the Red Team’s castle didn’t stand a chance. The castle colours were a bit insipid in comparison.

Smiley face biscuits and fairy bread…would you been able to get away with that if you baked the bread /buiscuits yourself??

16 sourkraut { 05.06.10 at 12:55 am }

Is this a load of tosh or wot? Masterchef???? Sausage rolls and cupcakes. What next Spag bol? Say what was that on the ads I saw for tomorrow? Say it isnt so Hortense, Master chef Italian AB&$@*Ygain!
Should have made Matt taste the offerings, that would have wiped the smile off the dial.

17 Icingsugar { 05.06.10 at 8:51 am }

CG, really??
Dom would have needed the same amount of icing sugar regardless of who was icing/decorating the cakes. He didn’t screw Adele, she got 0 votes. Zero! zip! nada! no-one out of 150 people voted for her. Anyway he does seem very very certain of his own view. Mind you I wonder how much editing goes on. He did seem very close to not ‘plating up’ so I’d be surprised if it was intentional.
Adele would drive me mad with all her fussing.
Did you notice some people had their head’s down doing their own thing and others were more team oriented???
must have been some issues in the house the way that team selection went. They probably won’t show us any of that.
why don’t we see Skye’s food?? we see plenty of Skye.
Does anyone think the judges favour the cute girls?
Tension between Sharnee and Dom again?
Callum is awesome..what a great kid! the right team won..then again it was hand-picked so a big advantage.

18 Icingsugar { 05.06.10 at 8:56 am }

oh and Kris2040, time it, we saw about 1 minute of their 5 minutes with Phoebe. Editing Editing Editing… best 1 minute from Blue, worst 1 minute from Red???..Just saying….possible..

19 lydal { 05.06.10 at 9:38 am }

I was surprised by some of the people elected by Callum: Fiona? not alvin? and Claire was picked one of the last ones. Clearly there must be more then we see on the show. Though maybe he picked also thinking who can he work well with or not.
Anyway, he did good as he team won.
About the cake, I’m one of these mum’s who said when saw the cupcakes: maybe not so yummy but “I would have done it better!” hahahaha πŸ˜‰ Beautiful but not really farm related.
I thought also that wasn’t fair that contestants that have done the cake were out of elimination. Did they know this before the challenge?
Not sure I like Dominic. Too bossy, not listening other people ideas (I remember Jonathan saying to do more sweet dishes) and it seems to be not a lot of affection for him in the house (editing?)
Adele had a problem with the oven. The 0 votes it wasn’t all her fault imo. People who used ovens in this party were having problems (daniel, blue team, would have ended in the bottom two if his team had lost). I think she has a lot of advantage with the boloignese sauce though is the easiest and most known of the italian cuisine so probably Jonathan has cooked it before.
I know we are gonna watch a teary episode tonight and that makes me feel so lazy about watching it…. buf!

20 kate { 05.06.10 at 10:06 am }

Nice challenge which they really didn’t do much with innovation-wise. Still, Blue deserved to win for actually listening to the customer and delivering what was asked for (if it was my party and I said I hated seafood, and three seafood dishes appeared I’d vote against your cake regardless of what I thought of it!). And for not crying.

Callum’s choices clearly reflected who he could work well with and wouldn’t seek to undermine him (no wonder he didn’t chose Dom!) as much as who could cook, and that was sensible for a first go at the leadership role. Alvin clearly can cook, but I suspect that behind that pleasant exterior he might be a bit condescending to the younger/blokier types.

In any case, at least the elimination is promising to be a real cooking challenge this time (albeit a fairly basic one; there really isn’t any consistency in the level of these challenges is there?), rather than a who can beat eggs like a machine type thing.

I’m personally with the Dom conspiracy theorists – I know its edited, but I’ve worked with people like him and he gives me the creeps. If the red team had had any sense they would have said no when he volunteered to lead (hard as that would have been to do, but why would you volunteer for this role knowing that the leader is in the hotseat for elimination?) – he consistently seems to squash down/be unwilling to listen to other peoples ideas.

The oven clearly was a problem, and Dom made it worse. So I feel a bit sorry for Adele – but rushing out with her sausage rolls when they were still too hot was a silly thing to do with kids.

PS Who is Phoebe? Daughter of one of the producers???

21 Wurstsemmel { 05.06.10 at 10:24 am }

For me, Dom was both condescending when talking to Phoebe, who seemed a pretty savvy 9 year old. She’s a girl. She’s got to like pink, right? Right. He got very little information in his time because he was too busy trying to be ‘besties’ and I don’t like the way he shut down anything anyone in his team tried to suggest.

I definitely think in selecting one sweet dish for a children’s party, he was planning on skewing the votes his way. Whether the cupcake decorating station was a very impressive way of saving his cupcake stuff up or part of a master plan, it was inspired. Quite ironic when he was mouthing off about sugar control to see how the kids loaded up their cupcakes with almost every kind of sugar treat known to man!

Jonathan missed the point totally. It was catering for a kid’s party. Most parents would want to see kid friendly food. Hitting the elimination challenge for the second time in a row must say something. Please go home tonight.

Big mistake of the red team not to ask Phoebe about what kind of theme she would like. Possibly that resulted from Dom holding the reins too tightly. No one got a chance to ask anything.

Adele was getting a bit precious over her sausage rolls and that was annoying. I feel sorry that she received no votes but maybe they were too spicy for the kids?

Can’t wait till tonight but if there’s incessant blubbering, I’m switching off.

22 charades { 05.06.10 at 12:19 pm }

Maybe the kids thought the sausage rolls were going to be soggy sausage rolls cause of all the tears ??? :)

23 Kaylen { 05.06.10 at 12:38 pm }

I honestly didn’t see Adele get overly emotional in this episode. Sure, she seemed slightly “teary” but hey – I’m like that a lot of the time, also. It’s called having allergy problems that make my eyes water.

You shouldn’t judge a person’s emotional response on how their eyes look. Unless they’re openly crying, the fact that someone has watery eyes doesn’t mean that they are in a perpetual state of meltdown. πŸ˜‰

Either way, Adele was right in what she was saying about the Oven – Dom was wanting to keep opening it, after he had put the cupcakes in. Only idiots don’t know that you shouldn’t open an oven constantly, as that lowers the temperature inside of it significantly.

Besides the fact that I think the voting is a bit off – who said that all the children tried all the food? Some of them might have only had one or two things, and nothing else. It’s highly unlikely that they all tried everything.

There was no problem with the cupcakes – you could tell that if he had wanted to, Dom would have been able to do the cupcakes no problem. It was a strategic decision for him to delay his task until it became an “ingenious” idea, and hey, what a smart man for turning a failure into such a success! Sarcasm. πŸ˜‰

This year, the contestants know how the Masterchief editing team works. They make sure to work it to their advantage. πŸ˜›

24 Culinary Boner { 05.06.10 at 1:10 pm }

To paraphrase a smallgoods giant :- Is Dom. Is Dud.
Agree with all the comments about his highly patronising and irritating approach. He is now the contestant I hope goes home soon. Phoebe should have responded to his presumptive – “you like pink, right” – with “Fuck off fat boy, me favourite colour’s red, just like Hit Girl from Kick-Ass.”
Good to see that Phoebe stayed true to her stated preference for a cake with a farm animal theme.
Thankfully Chris Badenoch wasn’t part of this challenge as he may have taken the farm animal request too literally …mmm… marrow icing, my favourite.

25 TDK { 05.06.10 at 1:21 pm }

KC – you are the show’s antidote to the sob and tears.
I have never seen so many smileys :) in a one post entry :\

26 Kyvyny { 05.06.10 at 3:28 pm }

Dom sure did talk all the way down to mysteriously-important Phoebe. Like he heard that she was 1 year old and not the 9 as they said she was. But then again, it’s not like Red team cared about what Phoebe liked. So long as Dom is the only one on their team with the sweets. Everybody gets definitely got shafted.

Should have been a three-cut elim challenge set up with Dom included for leading them down with his condescending tone.

27 ericg { 05.06.10 at 3:54 pm }

I agree with all re Dom. Totally agree with you, Culinary Boner. He is the one I would like to see go home soon!

Easy challenge last night but totally inappropriate to ask kids to vote? My question would be, “How fair can they fare?” You provide more sweet’ish and sugar’ish stuff for the kids, “wa-la”, you have kids loving you. Of course, add a bit of creativity.

It wasn’t fair for Jonathon yes, but he should know better not to serve smoked salmon. This ain’t a cocktail party, mister!

Editing editing editing, and you end up editing so many important pointers for the viewers to see, Channel 10! Why Adele received no vote, at all?! None from the parents? I don’t think her sausage rolls can lose out to the Blue Team.

As for the comments were made re the presentation of the Butter Chicken by Jimmy. It is a party for kids. Should they have served the curry on procelain bowls? Hm…

Anyways, it would be interesting to see who will be the one crying. I have told RR on Twitter it would be Adele crying but come to read all the comments, I am unsure. We shall see tonight at the Italian elimination round. =P

28 Airwalk { 05.06.10 at 5:47 pm }

Agree with most of the contributors above. I don’t understand why individuals were voted on their dishes as it appeared Dom(-inated) what dishes should be done(crazy eyes Jonathon did suggest more sweet choices but got stuck with blinis ffs) and they seemed to be allocated dishes rather than decided themselves? If Dom had made the sausage rolls would he have been voted for the cook off? The cake people were not under threat and the whole ay i as done was flawed. That said Callum appears to be a lovely young man and liked his choice of team. And lets see more of the contestants food, some are being totally ignored…too much editing…and am over their Masterclasses this year, who cares about Gary mums roast(although I prefer Gary to Georges *&^(y preperations)

29 Jenny Draut { 05.06.10 at 8:53 pm }

that does it!!!!!!!! its time to go…….wait for it……judge George!!!!!!!!!!

he is so bloody irritating and sooooooooo overacting to a point like those dreadful US soapies!

I don’t think Callum likes Alvin…..anyone agree?

and seriously what did Alvin cook?

how the producers picked this seemingly clever youg girl……..

I reckon Johnny boy will go tonight!!!

30 Anonymous { 07.09.10 at 2:10 pm }

Marion rocks,she will shorly win!