Masterchef Australia – Jonathan’s Trash Talking Ousts Adele

Was that Jonathan trash talking in the elimination challenge when he was pointing out why he would not have put tomato paste in the bolognaise sauce, it did seem to work. The kicker was Jonathan was right.

“It was really harsh on the tomato,” said Gary. And said she should not have been so heavy handed on the tomato paste.

But maybe Jonathan has the secret to getting on the judges good side with Gary saying “Jonathan let’s crack on then,”. In the meantime 300,000 housewives hearts broke.

Other thoughts about the episode:

• Wondering why Adele was allowed to wear that top when she was cooking with gas, at any stage I thought they were going to swipe the flames;
  • I was impressed with Jonathan’s cooking style, and if he can gain momentum will go along way, also Matt Preston said he was one of the best cooks in the house;
  • Clearly he is not liked in the house, the look on the other contestant’s faces when they saw who had won was priceless. Claire looked particularly disappointed;
  • I noticed Dominic having a beer, I thought he had been to rehab, but he did say he now drinks moderately. Still I was a bit surprised.

I was actually a bit sad to see Adele go. In the Channel Ten press release she said “….I was the Mum of the house. I got on with Alvin and Skye particularly. There was a real connection there, we were real people. They gave me a beautiful bracelet when I left.”

“I think Marion will win. She’s a brilliant cook, she doesn’t let her nerves and insecurities get to her like I do. She’s clever and confident.”

Injera will be doing her observant and witty recaps on Masterchef Australia for the next three weeks as I will be away.  I will continue to blog on Survivor: Heroes V Villains, and other reality TV news from the US.

1 Injera { 05.06.10 at 10:30 pm }

The “trash talking” did prove to be prescient – although I’m not sure that it was the tomato paste per se or the enormous amount of the stuff she was plonking into the sauce. Still, I think they should have alternated turns, since I think going second was advantageous. You could always either straight out copy, and hope that your amounts were better, or choose a point of difference.

I wonder what the voting parameters were, i.e. were the judges looking for a good bolognaise, or a tasty pasta sauce. Basil and chilli in a bolognaise seems a bit… courageous… to me!

Have a great trip! (And put a vote in for Big Mike for me in Idol…!)

2 Izobel2 { 05.06.10 at 10:38 pm }

Hey RR say hi to Evil Russell for me (if he returns to the US whilst you are there)!
Thanks for the good recap. You always get me thinking from a different angle. I’m really enjoying MC… I was watching an old show on my recorder the other day and a ‘My Kitchen Rules Final ad’ came on. There is just no comparison from that rubbish to MC. We should all be grateful we have MC to watch instead. I’m a bit surprised Adele left. And yeah the looks on everyone’s faces when Jonathon walked in the room spoke volumes!

3 KC { 05.06.10 at 10:44 pm }

I felt really sorry for Jonathan…But I also think the cameraman probably specifically focused on some people’s disappointment. So I don’t think you can judge his popularity within the house on that. But Clare’s reaction was so disappointed looking that it was pretty funny 😀

I don’t really care much who got to stay and who got to go. But I have to say, Jonathan seems to be a pretty good chef and I love how Aaron was like He’s an utter terminator LOL 😀 Ahh Aaron, please let you have good edits and funny one-liners 😀

4 lydal { 05.06.10 at 11:15 pm }

I didn’t really care who was going home today but I’m starting to think that Jonathan can be a good cook. He seems to have a lot of technical knowledge that he uses wisely in this challenge. Better to be wiser for him in next team challenges because I didn’t watch a lot of happy faces at the house when he came back. Claire’s face was priceless!
I liked this new challenge though not sure about going one after the other. It doesn’t seem fair for the first one.
Chilli in boloignese sauce? don’t think so! Adele must really gone wrong with the tomato paste then…

5 Kaylen { 05.06.10 at 11:28 pm }

I am not happy.

6 bella vita { 05.06.10 at 11:37 pm }

have a wonderful and safe trip RR

7 ericg { 05.06.10 at 11:43 pm }

Jonathon was pretty daring tonight for putting in ingredient not known to cook bolognaise – chilli. It should be Adele’s tomato paste that has ruined her chance of winning this challenge then.

Whatever it was, Jono did well under pressure tonight and his cooking style does show he has potential. Surprise surprise, no weeping! LOL!

I bid my goodbye to Adele even though I would prefer her over Jono. She did do her best. =)

8 ericg { 05.06.10 at 11:44 pm }

PS, Safe travelling RR! Have fun.

9 Real cheffing { 05.07.10 at 12:06 am }

I am watching this show for the cooking skills rather than the acting ones. Reality TV is not going to suit Jonathan’s persona but he provides glimpses of a depth of knowledge and ability which is lacking in some of the other competitors. Adele was seemed to follow some habit and tradition but he was doing something that actually got me thinking.

10 CG { 05.07.10 at 1:27 am }

A few quick comments on tonights episode:

— Methinks Jonathon was in the first two elimination challenges not because he is one of the poorer cooks in the house – but because he is one of the better ones…and the other good cooks know it (I’m looking at you Claire)! I think there is more politics in the house than last year…facilitated by what looks like plenty of alcohol unlike last year.

— I think the challenge was a good one – except – and there are two big “excepts” – (i) there should have been blind tasting by the judges; and (ii) the competitors should not have seen what each other was doing – ie have them behind walls like in the celebrity chef cookoff – and get the judges backstage – again like in the celebrity chef cookoff

— Adele was this year’s Julie and as quirky and strong as she was when she was given a lead role (I thought she was great in the Italian restaurant challenge)…there was no way she was gonna win so they cut her loose early. Who is the oldest person left now: Dominic?

— It made me happy to see in the summary at the end Adele is going to try and set up a cooking school for kids with learning disabilities

Finally: Have a GREAT trip to the US, RR!! You deserve it!

11 Wurstsemmel { 05.07.10 at 1:29 am }

I thought not alternating turns was wrong. It gave Johnathan an unfair advantage.

I thought Jonathan should have kept his thoughts about Adele’s strategy to himself. No need to trash the competition – let your cooking speak for itself.

Johnathan feigns upset at sending someone home and, in the next breath, revels in his self-titled Terminator persona. No wonder everyone looked so depressed when he came back. You’d have to have a thick skin not to be affected by that.

Re the rehab and drinking, dependent on the severity of the problem, drinking moderation can be a treatment goal rather than total abstinence so that might explain it if you’re correct about the rehab and beer.

Have a great and safe trip

12 crabtech { 05.07.10 at 1:50 am }

Thank you for the summaries and your take on MC. Enjoy your trip. Although I am not necessarily a fan of Jonathan’s and we could not taste the bolognaise sauce I would not want ro try Adele’s. It looked horrible, too gluggy.

13 rusty { 05.07.10 at 9:23 am }

I was disappointed at Adele’s choices in this task. I wouldn’t use tomato paste or tinned tomatoes myself for a sauce unless I was too tired to bother.

And then, all she could think of at the end was a bit of cheese on top! I thought she was better than that. Sorry to see her go, though.

I don’t think going 2nd made much of diff after the first few rounds. After all, it was the final tasting that won it, not their actual choice of ingredients. And at one point Matt (or George?) thought that it was Jonny boy who was really under stress or had lost it or something, while Adele was all cool and collected.

Jonny’s pretty clever and looks to me like one of the few who could really work in a top restaurant. He’s got some skills, ideas and isn’t scared of making left-of-field choices. And the right sort of personality – and that’s not a compliment!

but i”d like to see the best cook win anyway. As others here have said, the other contestants know he’s a threat. Some haven’t done themselves any service by showing so openly that they don’t like him.

Claire’s face was priceless! Bet she’d make a lovely friend – but not in a high-pressure kitchen.

14 KC { 05.07.10 at 10:03 am }

I missed hearing a bit at the beginning but yea, the alternating turns was a bit weird. That means you got to see what the other person was doing.

Oh and with the trashtalking, did Jonathan do it after or before Adele put the tomato paste in. Maybe because he didn’t do it in a really I’m so much better than you tone that I didn’t actually think it was trash-talking. And if by the small chance he did it before she put it in, it would have actually helped her (but I think he did it after so my point is moot :D)

I don’t think Jonathan is that bad and he seems to be a pretty good cook which made me enjoy this elimination challenge as you seriously got to see him think and work.

15 I like food { 05.07.10 at 10:14 am }

Is Alvin the only person asked to comment on this show ? Boy he gets some serious face time…….I’m going for some type of scandal 6 months down the track with an employee of the show.

16 lydal { 05.07.10 at 10:19 am }

P.S. have a great and fun trip RR! :)

17 Fiona { 05.07.10 at 10:34 am }

Whether it was deliberate or not (I think Johnathan felt obliged to comment when asked) to distract Adele with the tomato paste, it worked, because she disagreed with him and then put another spoon in for good measure – it was way too much unless you have another hour or so to cook it down. Her sauce looked gluggy and solid, not very appetising. I myself put a dash of chili flakes and fresh basil in my bolognese and it adds a little warmth somehow, not sure where I picked that up from but it works for me!

18 Real cheffing { 05.07.10 at 11:16 am }

Concealing the steps from each other would not have made a big difference. Both cooks would have already had a reasonable game plan for their respective recipes. It would be crazy trying to respond to the other person’s cooking like a game of chess – you might just end up with a yucky hybrid of two recipes. If one person decided to blatantly copy, it would be only be different by one ingredient and you still need the skill to proportion the rest correctly.

It was clear that Jonathan was developing the flavour with his reductions and deglacing from the beginning. Adele could have chosen this path but opted for a more tradtitional approach.

19 Real cheffing { 05.07.10 at 11:22 am }

Tomato paste. Trash talk. Adele’s response. Tomato paste.

Could have just been a clever edit. It might have been a late commentary after the event and then neatly interwoven into the plot.

If it genuinely occurred then it would silly for the combatant to push on just to spite the comment without reflecting on it.

20 Fides { 05.07.10 at 12:44 pm }

Totally agree real cheffing. If Adele had done all ten steps first and made all complete sauce while Jonathan waited, then that would have been very unfair but with her being only one step ahead, it meant she also could have modified her steps according to J’s last move. Which would throw you off your game plan completely if you reacted like that.

That was an excellent elimination challenge. If only Devon’s elimination last week had involved something like this, perhaps he could feel slightly less cheated about being booted off.

So Jonathan calls himself the Eliminator… wasn’t that also what Matt dubbed Julie given that she knocked out everyone she faced in all her elimination challenges?

I’m warming to Jonathan – at first I thought he was too cocky and competitive and while he still comes across that way, I found him more likeable in this episode eg when he was talking to Adele before the challenge ( I don’t think that was a strategy to throw her off). Plus he’s undoubtedly got the skills in the kitchen.

21 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.07.10 at 1:36 pm }

Pity really that this elimination turned out to be between two of the better cooks and interesting (in both a positive and negative way respectively) personalities.

But I have to say I’m not warming at all to Jonathon in terms of personality, and I suspect that, as much as his skills, lies behind the reaction to him – even allowing for editing, he clearly has a fairly abrasive personality, seems to lack real empathy, and lacks the ability to mask just how extremely competitive he is (going on the glimpses of his expressions at times when the robot mask slipped). Matt aside, I think the jury is still out on whether he can really cook well or not – he clearly has good technical skills and knowledge (well beyond those of most of the competitors), but seems to have fallen down on the actual taste and delivery on several challenges now. Would I buy his cookbook? I think not. So I’d like to see him eliminated sometime very soon – but perhaps offered an apprenticeship (though whether he’d accept one I suspect is doubtful).

That said, at least last night was a real cooking challenge, and quite a clever one at that, drawing out an interesting contrast of techniques and choices. And for once we actually got to see them cook. I’m prepared to take the judge’s word for it on who won on taste.

My impression of the paste comment was that the challenge wasn’t conducted in deathly silence (thank goodness, the overall result had a nicer feel) – there was actually a bit of interaction and discussion of their choices, most of which was presumably edited out (to make sure inter alia that we know who THE VILLAIN of the year is).

I don’t think Adele made a foolish choice – unless those fresh tomatoes were very flavoursome indeed, canned and paste (and I seem to recall both were in the ingredients list for George’s bolognese for an elimination last year?) could help fix it up faster than starting from fresh, she just misjudged quantities and timing (and I think Jonathon was right to suggest reducing it before adding would have been sensible). I also thought copying Jonathon’s choice of carrots would have helped counterbalance the tomato and been a smarter choice than cheeze….

Overall this was a much much better elimination challenge than the last few (real cooking, a problem actually faced by us at home, no fiendishly difficult techniques required, no ingredients we wouldn’t consider using ourselves!), and no tears (at least on camera!) – they are obviously listening to their test audiences (assuming they have them) or our reactions. And I noticed they even dropped one opportunity for the ubiquitous recap last night!

On another note RR, I notice you haven’t been talking about the masterclasses, and fair enough, it’s not really part of the competition. But I really like the feature they have this year of the top four or so on the challenge of the week getting a special masterclass with an outside chef (apart from any valuable knowledge they acquire, it must be a relief not to have to suck up to Gary and George and say how wonderful their often odd dishes taste each week!). The Vietnamese one last week was particularly good, and there is a little webonly video to go with it that gives a better picture of just what an advantage those selected are getting.

So it will be interesting to see tonight who gets to go to the special masterclass with the outside chef – do Dom’s cupcakes get him in the top group?!

Anyway, thanks for your posts and have a good trip.

22 sourkraut { 05.07.10 at 2:35 pm }

O crikey another spag bol contest, and for gawsake how hard can that be? Even Gary’s intellectual tome on cooking, to mention nothing of Julies MC1 effort explains the utter intricACIES OF spag bol
Dom strikes me as difficult to warm to. The Asian with the specs seems nice as long as he doesnt do century egg.
I wanna see them cook a nice Vindaloo and then Matt & co have to eat them all in judgment. That’ll put some heat in the kitchen. (A Sichuan noodle soup would be just as good)!

23 sourkraut { 05.07.10 at 2:41 pm }

I wonder if Jonathon has some hidden girlfriends, been bankrupt, owes money, picked weird dinner party guests, cooks with beer, and likes pigs heads/knuckles/slabs of meat. Then the girlies could really get stuck into him ho ho!

24 sourkraut { 05.07.10 at 2:43 pm }

PS
RR safe & happy travel

25 I like food { 05.07.10 at 3:05 pm }

Yes indeed RR, have a dandy ol’ time.

26 Anthony { 05.07.10 at 6:08 pm }

I’m actually liking Jonathan now!!! Guys, he doesn’t seem like a bad guy! (but obviously the other contestants don’t like him). I hope he goes far! I think the audience will support him because he seems like he has things to prove: a) that he his a good cook and deserves to stay in the comp and b) he’s a nice guy. He’s been in the bottom two twice in a row, and we all love underdogs coming back and coming on top, don’t we?

27 Pollywaffle { 05.09.10 at 1:00 am }

Jonathan is making MC this season for me albeit in a ‘Snidely Whiplash’ kind of way. Not sure if he is that entertaining or whether there is simply a personality vacuum – Claire seems to have lost hers, or is that editing?- and Jonno has sucked up the space.

He may not be aiming for a Leggo’s sponsorship with his tomato paste offensive, but he usually has a plan. People tend to warm to someone with a plan, at least you can be entertained watching it go pear-shaped or succeed in spite of its daftness.

His out-saucing victory proved a little hollow given Adele obviously couldn’t convert her usual method into a MC time challenge, but Jonathan proved the more adaptable. I think it would have been better to just let them ‘work it out’ as Tim Gunn would say, prepare the sauces with 10 ingredients, use and not return to each, and then see the final result. As it was designed, the MC judges were very biased by the method rather than the end taste.

Hell if you watched George ingredient-by-ingredient for some of his masterpieces you wouldn’t be keen to have a taste at all. The sum is always greater than its parts – I think there could have been a different result if the tomato paste was not put under the spotlight.

Have a fun trip RR and while you are there find out if Curtis Stone is has any ‘real’ profile in the US as we keep hearing he does. He spends a lot of time here doing Coles ads, so you wonder…….

28 Pollywaffle { 05.09.10 at 11:05 am }

…oops sorry Tim, that was ” make it work”

29 AT { 05.09.10 at 5:38 pm }

Curtis Stone actually has quite a profile over in the US. pretty funny seeing him on Coles here tbh. He has appeared in the celebrity version of the Apprentice, various talk shows and cooking shows, the Biggest Loser USA and he will be one of the hosts for Miss USA 2010…i’m not joking about that last one!