Masterchef Australia – Finally A Female Judge

Donna Hay will be joining the judging panel once a week on Tuesday nights for the Celebrity Chef challenge. Donna will be taking over Gary Mehigan’s role on those nights, as he will be taking on more of a host role.

Now I know some people don’t think she is much of a cook, but she does know the food industry. I also think there is a lot of professional jealousy surrounding her success.

Full story  is here.

1 Banter { 05.09.10 at 2:45 pm }

I think that Donna Hay gets a bit of a bad rap. She still is Oz’s #1 selling cookbook author. Yes I think her recipes are a bit basic, but clearly many do not. I remember in the 90’s when she first hit the shelves, and everyone was singing her praises from the roof tops. She seemed quite ‘ground breaking’ then, as did the likes of Jamie Oliver ect, at the time.
It tends to be food snobs that dismiss her. And that is fine, as I believe that it is horses-for-courses. But what we have to remember is that the average Aussie cook is not a gourmand. The reason that her books/shows sell is because they are achievable for the average punter and I don’t believe there is any shame in that!

2 Liss { 05.09.10 at 2:49 pm }

Donna Hay is passionate about food and success in the food industry – she’s a well known perfectionist. I think she’s also a good contrast from the restaurant focus of the judging so far – more the commercial side.. female is a bonus.

3 Rosie { 05.09.10 at 2:54 pm }

I don’t get it. They got rid of Sarah because there was no need for a presenter, and now they employ another judge so they can use Gary as a presenter?

4 Injera { 05.09.10 at 4:39 pm }

Rosie, I’m not 100% sure, but this might be around the time Gary injured his leg, so wasn’t able to be as heavily involved day-to-day. Raver should be able to confirm (or they’ll probably mention it when they introduce Donna Hay).

5 WordSnob { 05.09.10 at 5:14 pm }

Banter,

I think most Aussies ARE “gourmands” – they are just not “gourmets.”

(Just like they say “bought” instead of “brought” – as in “I bought the kids home from school”. I bet you do , too!)

6 sourkraut { 05.10.10 at 2:45 pm }

For F$%K sake dont any contestant cook anything brown or with a slab of meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wordsnob
I disagree. Most (statistically speaking) Australians are neither Gourmands or Gourmets. Any nation who uses Maccas and KFC as much as we do hardly qualifies Gor-Blimey!