Masterchef – a walk in the black forest

It was sponges at dawn for the pressure test: the classic black forest cake. Dominic, Joanne and Matthew faced off and the person with the worst attempt at the cake went home.

This is going to be a flash post, as Mr Injera is wanting to catch up on last week’s episode of The Pacific and is getting tetchy. Dom took the early lead as the night’s loser when he revealed that he’d be pretty happy with any sort of dish… as long as it wasn’t a cake. Matthew was 150% determined (if he sticks at this accounting business, I think I’ll get him to do my taxes) and Joanne seemed to think she’d be able to do for her family.

So, highlights and lowlights:

• Callum demonstrated his true alliance when he helped Dom with the timings, but advised Jake not to bother stressing Matthew out over a mere cherry pip.  But he still seemed happy to see Matthew return.
  • Adam’s inability to watch as Dom massacred his cake batter was wonderful, but he did manage to pull himself together to tell Dom to lay off it a bit.
  • Did anybody notice the tension between Dom and the Gs? He really had the “yep, I’m working, STFU” attitude when they went over for the half-time-stating-the-obvious session.
  • The dark haired contestant with the glasses (I know, I know, I tried to check on the website but it’s “down”. That’ll teach them to focus on only half a dozen contestants!) must be new. After all, he seemed to think that it didn’t matter how the food looked, as it was all about the taste.
  • George was so disappointed that the cherries on Dom’s cake had no stems. Dom probably pays too much attention to all the celebrity chefs who admonish people who put inedible garnishes on dishes.
  • What did George mean when he said, of Dom’s cake, “put taste aside, you could blend it all up and still eat it”? Was that a compliment, or an insult? Or just the ramblings of someone who has an hour to fill with cake making?
  • I loved how excited George was by Joanne’s attention to detail… which he only knew about because she messed up the detail.
  • What is the point of subjecting the three contestants to the ridiculous inquisition about their Dream when Matt later tells us that it’s inconsequential, since “it comes down to the dish you cooked today”?
  • Am I the only viewer who cringes when contestants say how much they don’t want to be doing the job they’re doing? If I were an HR manager for an accounting firm, I think I’d be stamping “reject” all over applications from Matthew.

1 Muru { 05.10.10 at 10:12 pm }

“Am I the only viewer who cringes when contestants say how much they don’t want to be doing the job they’re doing? If I were an HR manager for an accounting firm, I think I’d be stamping “reject” all over applications from Matthew.”

I was thinking the exact same thing when Matthew said that. I’m actually getting tired of those kinds of response: “I can’t see myself doing anything but cooking and I’d give up my boring old job anyday!” So incredibly cliche. I’m sure Matthew won’t even have a job at all anymore when he’s eliminated.

What I don’t get is why the judges even bother asking those questions after they’ve made up their minds on who’s being eliminated.

2 Wurstsemmel { 05.10.10 at 10:18 pm }

You must have had your crystal ball out earlier this week, Injera.

Is Dom, is dud.

I’m glad to see him go after cake challenge but, in truth, I wouldn’t have cared less if any of them had gone.

More tears. I’m beginning to think if there isn’t at least one person bawling, I can’t be watching Masterchef. I even thought George looked a little misty-eyed but maybe it was because Matthew had given him the pip.

I’m getting fed up of all the coaching from the gallery.

I’d now kill for a slice of Black Forest though

3 sourkraut { 05.10.10 at 10:25 pm }

Thank you 10 for doing on of my faves, black forest cake, but since when are the sides left naked? it makes the whole thing look unprofessional, and George, I have never seen a BFC with cherries with the stupid strings attached. It looks daggy!
So if life is a bowl of cherries why wasn’t Mathew in the pits?
And where was the Beautiful Kirsch liquer which moistens and makes the cake? i know this is on family time but that’s ridiculous, no alcohol shown. mr Krudd would be pleased, or maybe his tax on liquer made it too expensive for 10 to afford?
George your comments etc make you look like a try-hard. tone it down to a simmering frenzy!
And fer farque sakes 10, LOSE the BLOODY flashbacks, they do nothing for the program and did not disguise the fact that Dom was going tonite. Likewise the comments from the peanut gallery (non elimination contestants) were all but useless as they did not have to do the cooking and were thus NOT in a position to comment sagely.
Dom’s cake looked pathetic, Mathew’s was nowhere near as awesome looking as he claimed all uneven and too much cream, and Joanne’s looked like a pass.
I think the worst cake was eliminated, but I still have a nasty feeling of a set-up, 10 would know what each contestants strengths and weaknesses are and could tailor the eliminations to suit the favoured ones. CG was right in her earlier predictions and i think her reasoning was correct. that makes it disappointing as MC2 seems to be another popularity contest!
Finally, why go on with the farce of “interviewing” the elimination contestants? Surely it should go on taste and SHOCK HORROR.. presentation (never thought I’d say that, i must be getting softer in the head)
Good night!

4 Pollywaffle { 05.10.10 at 10:31 pm }

Well put Injera, under your own pressure test.

“put taste aside, you could blend it all up and still eat it” – had to pause and rewind that one, several times, Signomi George, what was that about. Is it meant to conjure up some philosphical debate: Is a black forest cake smoothie a good thing or not – are you supposed to eat food that tastes shite when you masticate the mouthful. Sorry Georgie, lost me

I thought for a moment Inj’s headline was going to be…George gave Matthew the pip tonight, but alas Dom bowed out quashing that little opportunity. He naturally is going to follow his dream, oops I mean his RAM , – hey software management pays well, got 6 mouths to feed I guess.

( Note: Good career move….another cunning disguise for Brother Justin- what was that book about 9 Dragons?)

5 seepi { 05.10.10 at 10:43 pm }

I thought the cake looked wierd with the naked sides too. I guess they wanted to be able to see whose cake had really wonky layers.

Joanne’s actual years of cooking won out tonight I think – she sliced through those cake layers like someone who has done it heaps of times before.

And I think George just meant ‘put Looks aside, you could blend it and it would taste great’.

6 Pollywaffle { 05.10.10 at 10:54 pm }

aha, thanks Seepi, I’ve now got it, I think? – so ‘reverse trojan horse’ of him

7 saffronlie { 05.10.10 at 11:00 pm }

I agree about the boringness of the contestants looking for a career change. Just makes me roll my eyes and think about all the many ways to change careers that don’t involve going on a reality TV show.

sourkraut — I thought I saw Joanne brushing a liquid on a cake layer and I assumed it was Kirsch, but even so, it’s odd that that part of the recipe wasn’t mentioned.

8 Pollywaffle { 05.10.10 at 11:09 pm }

Saffronlie, yep, best family-sensitive editing ever – hide the demon alcohol from sight but let Dom be seen CLEARLY mouthing the F word when he sees a cake under the cloche… is MC using the AFL editors?

9 Injera { 05.10.10 at 11:25 pm }

Muru – agree. If I had a dollar for every time I shouted “get a bloody apprenticeship, then!” in response to all the “my life is food and food is my life” angst, I’d still have a sore throat, but enough money to buy a decent black forest cake.

Wurstsemmel – it’s CG’s crystal ball you should be praising. That’s where the Dom elimination strategy was all laid out.

Sourkraut – I thought I heard Matt say something about one of the cakes (Matthew’s?) that it was all alcohol-y, which made me think they had just glossed the details but kept the ingredient. After all, George mentioned cherries three ways and only described one of those ways, I think.

Yeah, sick of the peanut gallery and the constant flashbacks/coming-ups. That’s an interesting thought about the actual challenge playing to a contestant’s strengths or weaknesses…

Oh, Pollywaffle, I’m so predictable! I actually did have a pip header all ready to go… That last caption about Dom’s new software job but still following his dream made me laugh!

Seepi – thanks for interpreting the Georgism. I thought that perhaps he was saying it was a bad thing because he was putting taste aside, but your explanation makes sense.

Saffronlie – good possible kirsch sighting!

And did anybody see Gary on 7pm Project getting all “what’s the big deal” about the re-plating. I mean, I agree with him that it’s not a major issue, but to frame it as “there’s this big oil spill and people are worried about this?” was misguided. If we are all meant to be wringing our hands over the big news issues of the day we wouldn’t be watching Masterchef at all.

10 rusty { 05.10.10 at 11:27 pm }

I wondered about the kirsh and the naked sides as well. In fact, I thought even the demo cake looked like shit. I would never have dared put out for customer viewing a cake that looked so thrown together in a temper.

And why can’t anyone (contestant) say something natural, like ” thank god Dom/Adel/Kate etc is OUT. Couldn’t stand another day of HIm/her?”

11 akris { 05.11.10 at 12:16 am }

I’m sick of all the crying too but I have to admit I really liked Joanne’s answer to the question of why she was doing this.. it was a genuine “it’s for me”, with a side of “and my family” too.

Matthew won’t need a job since he’s going to be working for Dom’s new fine dining restaurant remember? hehe

I think it’s a bit of a cop out that Dom wanted to manage a restaurant and not necessarily be one of the chefs in there… why be in masterchef then? i guess publicity. although realistically not many of the contestants are going to end up leaving their field of work anyways to be a professional chef.

12 Muru { 05.11.10 at 12:37 am }

Okay… Here’s something bizarre that made me go, “WTF?” I was going to post this in my first comment but I had to listen to the replay on the MasterChef website to make sure I heard right.

When everybody was seated in the lounge waiting for the two winning contestants to return to the house, they were talking about Matthew’s pip debacle. During the conversation, Courtney said: “If GEORGE has cracked his tooth, that person is gone.” Now, can somebody explain to me how the other contestants knew that it was George’s piece of cake that contained the pip, and not Gary’s or Matt’s? Joanne and Matthew hadn’t returned to the house yet to tell them what happened… So how could’ve Courtney known?

Courtney could’ve made a blind guess as to whose piece of cake contained that pip, but that seems incredibly unlikely. If she really hadn’t known whose cake it was, she should’ve said: “If -a- judge has cracked their tooth, Matthew is gone.” The only logical conclusion I can come up with is that the contestants actually KNOW the verdict and exactly what happened before the two pressure testers make it back to the house.

I hate conspiracy theories as much as the next person, but Courtney’s “blind guess” seems far too coincidental to be true.

13 Claire { 05.11.10 at 1:14 am }

Muru – I thought by “If George has cracked a tooth, that person is gone” she wasn’t necessarily referring to Matthew’s cake. Just that if George in particular had a piece of cake with a pip in it, be it Dom, Joanne or Matthew’s cake, that person was screwed. If she had said “-Matthew- is gone” that would’ve red flagged with me.

14 Muru { 05.11.10 at 1:29 am }

Claire – I think you might be confused. Everybody knew Matthew’s cake contained the pip. Jake saw it happen in the kitchen and brought it up to the other contestants in the lounge. The contestants were talking about the incident in the lounge before Joanne and Matthew made it back to the house, so none of the contestants could’ve known – they were supposedly left in the dark.

The question we need to answer is WHY did Courtney say that it was Geroge’s cake, and not Gary’s or Matt’s, that contained the pip? Like I said, she couldn’t have known unless she knew details about the judging of the cakes.

15 Muru { 05.11.10 at 1:52 am }

so none of the contestants could’ve known* I mean, the contestants couldn’t have known that the pip was in George’s cake. Sorry, tired.

Personally, I think Courtney made a Freudian slip and said George’s name instead of Matthew’s, meaning she must’ve known what happened in the judging room.

Anyway, I’ll leave you all with a conspiracy theory to ponder over: the pip was planted by the producers in order to spark some controversy over Matthew’s cake as a means to create suspense in what would’ve otherwise been a lopsided elimination against Dominic. We all know the producers can be sly tricksters at times, so you never know. :P

16 reality raver { 05.11.10 at 2:52 am }

All these recap and comments mean make me feel I actually watched the episode.
Muru – great observation. I tend to agree with you, even though I have not seen the episode. But even if they did know the editor is a bit stupid to have put the footage in.

Injera – great recap – I hope Mr Injera mood was ok, is he not into Black forest cake.

Sourkraut – did you ever see the Mauve O’Mara show on SBS where she did the food from different cultures each week. She did one on German food, and Martin Boetz made a black forest cake, and I have been dreaming of it ever since. In fact I have been searching for the recipe. He was wonderfully heavy handed with the kirsch and he dressed the sides. In fact where can you get a good black forest cake these days. The last slice I had was a few years ago from David Jones, and it was pretty ordinary.

17 Anonymous { 05.11.10 at 5:07 am }

OK, with Dom gone who is the oldest contestant left on the show? – Claire? Hmm. Ch10′s strategy to target a different demographic this year seems a little too obvious.

Donna Hay is appearing on a few shows tomorrow as “MC’s New Judge”…is she replacing Gary because of his injury…or were producers really listening to “our” complaints about the lack of a female judge? I still wish they had picked a “chef” from the front line of a top restaurant – as opposed to a professional cookbook writer. Lets see how it goes. Given all the youngsters who are left in the pool and all the tears and emotion to date, Donna may take on a “mothering” role which could get tedious.

Sour and RR: You can buy the SBS “Food Safari” series on DVD, I think as I wanted to get it last year – I esp liked the show on Turkish cooking.

PS: thought Dom had started a charity after he got a big redundancy payout. Hmm. Didn’t take him long to abandon his cooking dream and jump back on the corporate bandwagon. I questioned his “passion” from the beginning and not sure how he got into the top 24.

18 CG { 05.11.10 at 5:10 am }

Oops – above post is mine (CG) – I mucked up and posted as Anonymous and am unable to edit it.

19 AnnyB { 05.11.10 at 9:00 am }

Here’s the Black Forest Cake recipe:

My one meagre contribution to this discussion is about the cherries. Where did they get fresh cherries? Not imported, I hope. Though if this segment was made in March, some cherries may have still been available.

20 Colls Bolls { 05.11.10 at 10:42 am }

I thought George’s comment about the blender meant that it looked crap and you could blend it all up and it wouldn’t make any difference.

I have the show recorded on IQ and always fast forward through the rubbish about “why do you want to be here”. It is totally irrelevent and is proven to be so when Matt says that it’s about tonight’s dish. My husband gets annoyed at me getting so cross about it but it drives me nuts.

Loved your accounting comment Injera!

21 Dom { 05.11.10 at 12:09 pm }

CG,
I do still run the charity, and have always done so whether employed or not. Sorry for trying to help kids with sever disabilities. Seems to not meet with your approval. Oh well..
I also need to pay my bills like the rest of us, so also need to have a paid job.
My stated dream of starting and owning a restaurant are still well and truly alive. Just need the money and to see how the show plays out.
Small tip, stop judging everyone, you are seein about half of one percent of what is filmed. We are all just trying to have fun and do our best. BTW, everyone’s conspiracy theories are wrong, and I know that for a fact. I was there……

22 Injera { 05.11.10 at 12:23 pm }

AnnyB – Thanks for sharing that link! I know a lot of people who’ll be keen to have a go at that. Just remembering that Food Safari episode makes me hungry.

Colls Bolls – you made much more sense of George’s comment than I did, but I think that’s what I thought he meant (I know that reads as utter gibberish – hope you can understand what I mean. I think I’ve got a case of the Georges).

CG – from what I’ve heard, Donna is replacing the injured Gary. I thought I read somewhere that there were other “guest” judges, too, but it might have been in one of my Masterchef dreams.

Dom – thanks for checking in and keeping us up-to-date on your plans. Conspiracy theories are helping some of us get over the heavy-handed editing at this stage, I think! It seems very obvious as a viewer who is getting the love (and the bomp-BOMP!) from episode to episode, due to the fact that those are the only people we get to see. Perhaps it’s a combination of inaccurate memories from S1 combined with the sheer number of competitors at this stage. I hope you enjoy watching the rest of the season – must be strange seeing it now.

23 CJ { 05.11.10 at 1:15 pm }

Take a few minutes to watch this excellent Charlie Brooker piece and understand a bit of what Dom has said:
Don’t ever feel that when you’re watching reality tv that you aren’t being manipulated.Where’s the fun in that?

24 sourkraut { 05.11.10 at 2:10 pm }

Raver
Yes I did see Maeves show with the forest cake and it certainly showed up the crap presented as the standard (not the contestants cake).
If my dear old mum was still alive she could bake you a delicious BFC but unfortunately her offspring did not inherit the ability, so you miss out.
Dom I still think you were hard done by in the editing. I also still think its very easy to manipulate the challenges so the selected person goes. You even sid yourself if the challenge is a cake you are in trouble, and lo and behold, what turns up.
Anyway keep up the good work with the special needs kids. Its a good thing someone does this as there is very little help from the Gummint (I know… been there dun that)

25 Wurstsemmel { 05.11.10 at 2:11 pm }

I think we all know that C10 are manipulative through their editing and it’s so badly done too.

This is the disappointing thing and what is taking away from the enjoyment of MCA this season. The editing makes it less about the cooking, more about drama and really makes a whole joke of the MCA concept. Compared to the UK Masterchef, MCA is a joke.

26 CG { 05.11.10 at 2:28 pm }

Do we really think “Dom” is Dom? Ha! Surely the MC contestants are under strict contracts not to grant unapproved interviews or participate in social media whilst the show is still airing. And some basic research reveals alturistic Dom started his new job at the software company in February 2010. He would have been interviewed about the job prior to his appointment. Can we please get more information about the charity, its objectives, its board members, its fund raising and what it has done….or is it just a tax vehicle to absorb the redundancy payment….with MC a little fun on the side to feed what is obviously a very large ego…until another job peddling software turned up after the GFC passsed? Reality shows most certainly manipulate viewers…but lets get real about believing the stories of a poster on a blog who names him/herself after a reality show contestant! Good grief.

27 brain dead dave { 05.11.10 at 2:45 pm }

Hey Dom, careful not to sweat onto your keyboard..and clean your fingernails.

28 Dom { 05.11.10 at 4:26 pm }

CJ – great clip, very true
CG – in the words of Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors ” you are a sad, sad, wamker..”
brain dead – be careful not to have any original thoughts – your name says it all….

29 brain dead dave { 05.11.10 at 4:38 pm }

BTW Earlier it was posed who would be the eldest left on the show.That would be Joanne(who dodged a bullet last night) and band manager Aaron at 37. Skye and Alvin are 35. Carrie 34. Daniel,(the one with “All Shook Up” tattooed around his neck) and Claire are 31.

30 CJ { 05.11.10 at 6:57 pm }

Dom,
back away from the computer. I’m sure your family and friends love you and are proud of you.
No need to respond to ad hominem attacks from people you don’t know and despite what they think they’ve seen they don’t know you, the other contestants or the judges (no matter how natty they think their cravats are)

31 sourkraut { 05.11.10 at 10:53 pm }

CG
Gotta disagree with you this time.
If Dom is really helping out special needs kids he deserves high praise for that!

32 Anonymous { 05.11.10 at 11:45 pm }

Dom. Or is it Ginger conducting more of his ‘research’?